eBooks app from WH Smith?

Guest jda180

Has anyone managed to use this?

I've downloaded a book using the voucher from Samsung, and find it very difficult to navigate.

There are no page numbers, and as I "turn the page" it seems to jump around and miss out whole sections of the book!

Not very friendly!

Am I missing something?

Guest acolwill
Has anyone managed to use this?

I've downloaded a book using the voucher from Samsung, and find it very difficult to navigate.

There are no page numbers, and as I "turn the page" it seems to jump around and miss out whole sections of the book!

Not very friendly!

Am I missing something?

No, you're not.

It's a piece of s***. And FYI, I can't find a way to retrieve the downloaded eBooks and convert them into something legible

Guest JCB_Digger
No, you're not.

It's a piece of s***. And FYI, I can't find a way to retrieve the downloaded eBooks and convert them into something legible

+1

It also completely forgets where you are - the only way around this seems to be to bookmark the page before you leave the App. Complete garbage.

+1

It also completely forgets where you are - the only way around this seems to be to bookmark the page before you leave the App. Complete garbage.

Agreed. I sent feedback and received a reply from the support team. They gave me instructions on how to use the voucher and attached a user guide for an iRiver eReader! Not quite what I wanted.

Using Root Explorer, I have found tbe downloaded book file. It has an mpub extension and wont import to other readers. It is a badged version of the gospoken app, but yiu cant open a WH Smith book with their app.

(look in the phone memory, not internal or external sdcard in data/data/ directory)

Clearly needs some more work!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steviem

I found a way of not using the nasty WHSmith app...

-Go to WHSmith's ebook website

-Login and go to My Bookshelf

-Download the eBooks again

-Copy to a folder on your Galaxy Tab

-Install aldiko https://market.android.com/details?id=com.aldiko.android (go on, try the new web based Android Market and marvel at the automatic push to your phone ;))

-In Aldiko, press the home button, then SD Card and voila - your book is in a half decent eBook app...

(look in the phone memory, not internal or external sdcard in data/data/ directory)

Clearly needs some more work!

Thanks for the heads up.

The mpub format used appears to be just a renamed zip archive containing the book in HTML but I can find no other information about it anywhere in the brief search I have done. Since it appears to be an unprotected html in a standard zip archive, it does not look like there is any DRM on it which would be odd.

I will do some more investigation but suspect it may be possible to use something like Calibre to convert into ePub or PDF fairly easily.

Thanks for the heads up.

The mpub format used appears to be just a renamed zip archive containing the book in HTML but I can find no other information about it anywhere in the brief search I have done. Since it appears to be an unprotected html in a standard zip archive, it does not look like there is any DRM on it which would be odd.

I will do some more investigation but suspect it may be possible to use something like Calibre to convert into ePub or PDF fairly easily.

Hi all,

I've been looking into this too - I've found the WHSmith app pretty much unusable thanks to crappy page control and lots and lots of freezing/crashing out.

I've added an entry on the Wiki at Mobileread.com with all the basic info on the MPUB format that I've found so far; who created it, why, where the files are found in Android and the structure of the file - feel free to add to it (infact, please do as I'm not sure what to do next! [Have been considering writing a reader, but not sure how you'd handle the paging]):

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mpub

Jibble.

Link back to another thread on the topic:

http://www.mygalaxytab.net/samsung-galaxy-...h-smith-ebooks/

Edited by Jibble

I found a way of not using the nasty WHSmith app...

-Go to WHSmith's ebook website

-Login and go to My Bookshelf

-Download the eBooks again

-Copy to a folder on your Galaxy Tab

-Install aldiko https://market.android.com/details?id=com.aldiko.android (go on, try the new web based Android Market and marvel at the automatic push to your phone :D)

-In Aldiko, press the home button, then SD Card and voila - your book is in a half decent eBook app...

Hi how did you get this app to recognise mpub, cant for the life of me get it to see the files once copied to my sdcard?

Ahh cause you're using the adobe versions from whsmith.gospoken.com :P

Edited by cjm106

• 1 month later...
Guest budalica

I use FBREADER it can read e-pub and few others ( not many ) but it's great . and on my mac I use STANZA DESKTOP to convert from other forms to e-pub

( if I don't download e-pub ) and it can read books straight from zip file