GPS Navigation on the Vega

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990
Statement ! :)

OK that looks neat but have you got the link to the eBay item please as that would be useful for others interested ? Does it work nicely with the Vega then?

Guest PacGhost
OK that looks neat but have you got the link to the eBay item please as that would be useful for others interested ? Does it work nicely with the Vega then?

Just do a searh for "51 CH. BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER" on Ebay

I am running the R8 rom and and have run app's like "Bluetooth GPS Provider" and others,they all find multi satellites.

Have used copilet8 and Igo8 sat/nav apps and all working ok..

Note ... the "Location and security" settings is greyed out and google nav said "no gps " ... but it still work ????

OK ..

It better bait your hook, to catch more fish

Guest photons

I've just purchased the vodafone Bluetooth GPS, much smaller than expected and very conspicuous, paid £10 when the seller made a last offer.

Currently there are no problems, installed bluetooth GPS provider and my location on google earth was pretty much smack bang on.

For those without a 3G dongle, or the money to purchase Mobile Navigator, etc 'cheaper to buy a tom tom in my opinion than some of the software'. Then there is a neat free app on the android market called 'mapdroyd'.

Basically it is an app which allows you to locate your position in any part of the world at street level. You are given the option to download a country, england is covered and optional download for wales, scotland, france, USA, the list goes on and there is no additional charge. England was around 200 mb, and every, I mean every road and street, details is covered.

Other than the obvious street, road names, there are also schools, bus stops, railways staions, railway tracks, named supermarkets, the list goes on and the detail and accuracy is impressive,

the zoom function works like google earth, you can pivet south, east, west and the towns, roads, etc orientate themselves. You zoom in and by using both your fingers and there are no performance issues, it happens instantly.

And when I pressed my location, it found my street address instantly, and the layout was accurate showing local schools, bus and supermarkets.

The only limitation to this app is the inability to calculate driving routes and a postcode finder, but this is the only limitation.A very useful app for use abroad, on foot and to locate where you are and where you need to go.

All for free, just an advent and your bluetooth gps and your instantly located, and you have the ability to download other countries specfic to your choice.

Guest trevor432990

Interesting, how much memory space does Mapdroid require out of interest and can it be sent to SD card within the settings menu ?

Guest neblap
Interesting, how much memory space does Mapdroid require out of interest and can it be sent to SD card within the settings menu ?

The app is 2.02MB, no move to SD. The map's automatically install to the SD card.

Guest jevdroid

Mapdroyd is great, but navdroyd (made by the same company) even provides turn-by-turn navigation for a very reasonable €4.99.

Guest trevor432990
The app is 2.02MB, no move to SD. The map's automatically install to the SD card.

That's very good I'll give it a go then sometime. Thanks all for the info. :)

Guest photons
Mapdroyd is great, but navdroyd (made by the same company) even provides turn-by-turn navigation for a very reasonable €4.99.

According to the Android market, Navdroyd is not compatible or available to download with the MoDaCo custom rom, which is probably why my android app didn't come up with any results.

Plus the reviews of Mapdroyd is not very welcoming.

Viewranger looks very promising, but detailed road maps are only avilable through the purchase of credits.

Mapdroyd seems adequate for my needs, I can't imagine attaching it to the handle bars of my motorbike, more of a where am I sort of device and which road do I follow? Living in a metropolitan area journey planning is almost a requirement.

Thanks Trevor for starting this post, I was unware that GPS navigation was possible, affordable or even compatible with the vega.

Edited by photons

Guest trevor432990

You're welcome .... keep us posted on your investigations into other alternatives. It's good to get reviews about new GPS navigation apps which come out.

For those of you who didn't see my other topic about the NavFree app. This is now available for Android 2.2 and above since latest release (wasn't working on Gingerbread originally). :)

Guest photons
You're welcome .... keep us posted on your investigations into other alternatives. It's good to get reviews about new GPS navigation apps which come out.

For those of you who didn't see my other topic about the NavFree app. This is now available for Android 2.2 and above since latest release (wasn't working on Gingerbread originally). :)

Forget MapDroyd, Navfree is excellent. It has full sat navigation capabilities that I can actually use and it is free.

Guest jevdroid
Forget MapDroyd, Navfree is excellent. It has full sat navigation capabilities that I can actually use and it is free.

You just won't get very far with it outside the UK or Ireland :)

Guest trevor432990
You just won't get very far with it outside the UK or Ireland :)

Well it has maps for France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Australia & NZ, and a lot of USA with other countries on the way so that's a pretty good start for a new company and product. :rolleyes:

Edited by trevor432990

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have recently bought an Advent Vega running R8 Modaco and have also bought a GPS wayfinder the only question I have is, are the maps stored on the Advent or are they downloaded form the satellite? which I doubt they are. Can the maps be downloaded onto the Vega?

Thanks

Colin

Guest trevor432990

Hello

I have recently bought an Advent Vega running R8 Modaco and have also bought a GPS wayfinder the only question I have is, are the maps stored on the Advent or are they downloaded form the satellite? which I doubt they are. Can the maps be downloaded onto the Vega?

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin .... it depends which sat nav application you choose to run on the Vega. If you use the Google Car Home or Maps application then the maps are downloaded from the internet as the route you pick requires, so a 3G data connection is needed when in the car normally. However if you can plan your route at home before departure then you can cache maps for your route on to the Vega in advance so a data network may not be needed.

An alternative free application called NavFree does allow you to download maps for the UK and I started another thread about that here so do check that out as well. Be careful though as it takes a rather large slice of memory once installed.

The satellite only beams down co-ordinates of your current location to your GPS Wayfinder receiver so no maps from that source I'm afraid.

Try those out first but feel free to ask more questions if you get stuck. ;)

Hi Colin .... it depends which sat nav application you choose to run on the Vega. If you use the Google Car Home or Maps application then the maps are downloaded from the internet as the route you pick requires, so a 3G data connection is needed when in the car normally. However if you can plan your route at home before departure then you can cache maps for your route on to the Vega in advance so a data network may not be needed.

An alternative free application called NavFree does allow you to download maps for the UK and I started another thread about that here so do check that out as well. Be careful though as it takes a rather large slice of memory once installed.

The satellite only beams down co-ordinates of your current location to your GPS Wayfinder receiver so no maps from that source I'm afraid.

Try those out first but feel free to ask more questions if you get stuck. ;)

Many thanks for such a quick response and answering my questions. I will start researching which will work with the Vega and the GPS locator. It is still very new to me, Android market and Apps.

Colin

Guest trevor432990

Many thanks for such a quick response and answering my questions. I will start researching which will work with the Vega and the GPS locator. It is still very new to me, Android market and Apps.

Colin

You're welcome. I've tried and tested each of the apps I mentioned and they all work on the Vega with a Wayfinder GPS Receiver no probs.

Guest jevdroid

Well it has maps for France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Australia & NZ, and a lot of USA with other countries on the way so that's a pretty good start for a new company and product. :rolleyes:

Totally lost this thread out of sight. I re-installed last week, the app provides a choice between maps for Ireland and for the UK and that's it. Where do I get the other maps from?

Guest trevor432990

Totally lost this thread out of sight. I re-installed last week, the app provides a choice between maps for Ireland and for the UK and that's it. Where do I get the other maps from?

You could try this web page which has the maps I mentioned but they seem to be marked as iPhone only but I see that UK & ROI are also there similarly labelled so I would guess they would probably all work. Test one out and let us know what happens?

Guest trevor432990

To Jevdroid and all please note. Just had an email from Navmii about their download server as follows:-

"c.Navmii , an employee of Navmii, replied to Android Release, a update about Navmii.

Apologies for this map downloading issue we've ancountered with Android.

Our initial public release of Navmii for Android was hosted by temporary agreement with Expansys. This agreement now having ended we're a little stuck for somewhere alternative to host the map datasets - rather large bandwidth requirements.

Our developers have been working on this, we hope to have a solution up soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please bear with us "

I will let you all know when the situation changes. This should only affect new users wishing to download the Navfree system for the first time or those trying to obtain new maps.

Guest 67Mustang

Have many other people had problems in getting a satellite signal with the BT Wayfinder? I can get it to pair with the Vega via Bluetooth no problem, but all I get on the Wayfinder is a green flashing light. I've tried it with a clear line of sight for around half an hour, but it just doesn't seem to pick anything up.

I'd read another thread about someone in Scotland having the same problems (I'm in Glasgow), but my Garmin SatNav picks up a satellite signal almost immediately, even indoors (apparently us Scots are getting electricity and running water next week!).

I also noted the post about the 51 channel Vodafone GPS receiver on eBay. For those of you who have tried this one, does it pick up a satellite signal easily/ reliably?

If any other forum members in Scotland have found a reliable GPS receiver that works with their Vega, please let me know.

To Jevdroid and all please note. Just had an email from Navmii about their download server as follows:-

"c.Navmii , an employee of Navmii, replied to Android Release, a update about Navmii.

Apologies for this map downloading issue we've ancountered with Android.

Our initial public release of Navmii for Android was hosted by temporary agreement with Expansys. This agreement now having ended we're a little stuck for somewhere alternative to host the map datasets - rather large bandwidth requirements.

Our developers have been working on this, we hope to have a solution up soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please bear with us "

I will let you all know when the situation changes. This should only affect new users wishing to download the Navfree system for the first time or those trying to obtain new maps.

Guest trevor432990

The Wayfinder is not the fastest receiver at picking up satelites but I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes to acquire enough signals for GPS to work. Have you installed and loaded the BT GPS Provider app yet? If so can you check the settings are the same as the ones I listed earlier in this thread.

Another thing ... is it fully charged as that will obviously affect its ability to find weaker signals especially.

Edited by trevor432990

Guest sconie

The Wayfinder is not the fastest receiver at picking up satelites but I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes to acquire enough signals for GPS to work. Have you installed and loaded the BT GPS Provider app yet? If so can you check the settings are the same as the ones I listed earlier in this thread.

Another thing ... is it fully charged as that will obviously affect its ability to find weaker signals especially.

I still can't dowload the UK maps, are they available anywhere else to download ?.

Guest trevor432990

I still can't dowload the UK maps, are they available anywhere else to download ?.

For the latest information about the Navfree map download site/s links it is best to keep an eye on the Navmii support thread located here. At the moment they are still looking for an alternative to the Expansys site.