Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Scanno

I think this could be related to the tvdpi settings we chose on build... Let´s revert to what ICS used ... ;)

I am not using any dpi settings... same as i used on ics. I removed them in ics because the systemui was fc'ing when you switched off the notifications. Perhaps i should use tvdpi.

Edited by Scanno

Guest ejtagle

I am not using any dpi settings... same as i used on ics. I removed them in ics because the systemui was fc'ing when you switched off the notifications. Perhaps i should use tvdpi.

I have used tvdpi and it has the same issues ... Maybe one of the overlay settings is changing something that should not be changed... And, the fact we started to use the 7inch tablet profile could be the problem, maybe ?

Guest Scanno

I have used tvdpi and it has the same issues ... Maybe one of the overlay settings is changing something that should not be changed... And, the fact we started to use the 7inch tablet profile could be the problem, maybe ?

We could try to use the xoom overlay and see what that brings?

Guest icpart

Thanks for you answer scanno.

Can you post screenshots with described problem from you. At moment I can't test the Alpha version of ROM.

Guest Scanno

Thanks for you answer scanno.

Can you post screenshots with described problem from you. At moment I can't test the Alpha version of ROM.

This is the problem. See the attached image.

post-805791-0-71239900-1343423501_thumb.

Guest ejtagle

Got audio working!! :D ... I knew that testing in hw would give the answer... :D .. It was just a missing setting in the audio mixer :) .. Also, got the hw equalizer working ... I'll post the updated audio_hw.c (that was the only file that needs modification)

Edit1: Attached!

If you want to play with the ALC5624 hardware equalizer, try:

tinymix 16

tinymix 16 rock

tinymix 16 normal

tinymix 16 club

tinymix 16 dance

tinymix 16 live

tinymix 16 pop

tinymix 16 oppo

tinymix 16 treble

tinymix 16 bass

The tinymix app is included as a command line tool in the latest JB rom... Of course there is a lot more than can be tuned that way... In fact, I used tinymix to get a working mixer setting, and then added the same settings to audio_hw.c

audio-28jul.rar

Edited by ejtagle

Guest Scanno

Got audio working!! :D ... I knew that testing in hw would give the answer... :D .. It was just a missing setting in the audio mixer :) .. Also, got the hw equalizer working ... I'll post the updated audio_hw.c (that was the only file that needs modification)

Edit1: Attached!

If you want to play with the ALC5624 hardware equalizer, try:

tinymix 16

tinymix 16 rock

tinymix 16 normal

tinymix 16 club

tinymix 16 dance

tinymix 16 live

tinymix 16 pop

tinymix 16 oppo

tinymix 16 treble

tinymix 16 bass

The tinymix app is included as a command line tool in the latest JB rom... Of course there is a lot more than can be tuned that way... In fact, I used tinymix to get a working mixer setting, and then added the same settings to audio_hw.c

This is great... Got it working...

The overlay of the XOOM does not help our portrait problem sadly.

Guest brucelee666

This is great... Got it working...

The overlay of the XOOM does not help our portrait problem sadly.

Scanno,

Also to confirm the new audio_hw works, but did you not get the loud (depends on volume setting) click/pop/static when you first get sound from speakers (only happens first time audio plays then does not happen again until you boot/reboot) (using 25jul-11am kernel sound codec/driver) ?

The pop can also be heard if you reboot tablet when it is restarting.

Also re. portrait mode I have also been looking at this, changing the aapt settings (from tvdpi to mdpi) in device.mk messing round with overlay dir and have not been able to figure a fix out yet its a strange one.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest ejtagle

Scanno,

Also to confirm the new audio_hw works, but did you not get the loud (depends on volume setting) click/pop/static when you first get sound from speakers (only happens first time audio plays then does not happen again until you boot/reboot) (using 25jul-11am kernel sound codec/driver) ?

Also re. portrait mode I have also been looking at this, changing the aapt settings (from tvdpi to mdpi) in device.mk messing round with overlay dir and have not been able to figure a fix out yet its a strange one.

I also got the pop... It's the reprogramming of the audio mixer the cause... I don't know if the problem is that we have an enabled amplifier and then change the audio route, or that the fact that we enable the amplifier causes the pop...

Guest Scanno

Scanno,

I have head the sound pop once I think, but did not pay that much attention to it. Regarding portrait. I am afraid that there might be a bug in the framework. Have a look at the behavior of some apps. Apps that are still using the old framework (gingerbread and lower) do not have that problem. Apps that are using the new framework have the portrait problem. So it is specific to the latest API.

Edited by Scanno

Guest ejtagle

I have head the sound pop once I think, but did not pay that much attention to it. Regarding portrait. I am afraid that there might be a bug in the framework. Have a look at the behavior of some apps. Apps that are still using the old framework (gingerbread and lower) do not have that problem. Apps that are using the new framework have the portrait problem. So it is specific to the latest API.

4.0.1 did not have this problem. 4.1.1 does have it... In fact, this is a good candidate to use git log ... I will take a look at it. I am nearly sure that is related to the renaming of some framework resources... Seems that the screen rotates, but is not taking into account that resolution also rotates... So, programs are using the same landscape resolution in portrait mode. ..

Guest Scanno

4.0.1 did not have this problem. 4.1.1 does have it... In fact, this is a good candidate to use git log ... I will take a look at it. I am nearly sure that is related to the renaming of some framework resources... Seems that the screen rotates, but is not taking into account that resolution also rotates... So, programs are using the same landscape resolution in portrait mode. ..

That is why I was thinking it is a framework problem. They also introduced a hybrid framework, which is also depending on DPI and resolution. So perhaps they introduced/changed they way they calculate. Also what is weird is that the touchscreen is set correctly as you might have noticed. So the calculation of the location of the touch areas are correct. Only the display is not.

Guest ejtagle

That is why I was thinking it is a framework problem. They also introduced a hybrid framework, which is also depending on DPI and resolution. So perhaps they introduced/changed they way they calculate. Also what is weird is that the touchscreen is set correctly as you might have noticed. So the calculation of the location of the touch areas are correct. Only the display is not.

Maybe the launcher is not listening to the resolution change event... For example, the youtube app handles rotation properly. The only program failing to handle it is the launcher itself... ;)

Guest ejtagle

Maybe the launcher is not listening to the resolution change event... For example, the youtube app handles rotation properly. The only program failing to handle it is the launcher itself... ;)

As you say the touchscreen behaves as if the items were in a different position than displayed, maybe something related to display refresh ?

edit1: I have observed some strange things... Place the tablet in the portrait mode, tap the top right corner of the screen. That should display the application icon screen. If you tap it another time, the screen will begin occuping the whole screen. As soon as you try to do something, it reduces to the bottom half. Maybe it is a bug of the framework, or maybe is a bug of the nvidia propietary libs, that fail to do an stretch of the texture used to render. A good experiment would be to disable hw acceleration on the launcher, just to confirm if it is a graphics related issue, or a framework issue... ;)

edit2: Using dumpsys surfaceflinger, i can see the coordinates of the surfaces that should be rotated correct. So the problem is not in the framework itself... Either a change at surfaceFlinger, or a problem with our propietary libs... Will continue investigation

edit3: I've been investigating why we can't use the nexus7 proprietary libs in our vegas... Reason is that they compliled the libs to use Neon instructions ... :( ... Otherwise, the libs would work in our hw...

Edited by ejtagle

Guest brucelee666

Eduardo / Scanno,

Just to confirm Eduardo's thought - if you turn off hardware accel on the launcher2 app the portrait mode is displayed correctly.

The settings app also has hardware accelerated set to true which is why that and any other app that has it set to true will probably display wrong.

edit - if launcher is set to false portrait will display correctly, if you then force gpu for 2d in developer options then it returns to displaying graphics halfway down screen

edit 2 - IF you want good news on this portrait mode issue, try using the old libs/gralloc/egl (original ics libs and used currently in vegacream I think) not the ones that were tested before and probably you have also been using that caused issues in ics that seemed to work fine in jb but have been causing this issue (ie the newer ones linked to previously in derartems git).

Need to test if these libs will cause other issues but you can try them and see (although I have tried flash and youtube HD and they seemed to work as before the only things that seems slower is the redraw of screen when you rotate from landscape to portrait).

edit 3 - re. MikhailM comment no.8 on tabletroms re. skype I have tested these libs and can confirm that you get video in both directions using them something he said did not happen so maybe the libs used in alpha2 caused this issue although using the old libs again will probably remove his "special thank you" on point 3.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest MikhailM

You get the half screen problem also in IO File Manager (but here it first goes full screen, then changes to half screen), Gmail, Browser.

Guest Scanno

Eduardo / Scanno,

Just to confirm Eduardo's thought - if you turn off hardware accel on the launcher2 app the portrait mode is displayed correctly.

The settings app also has hardware accelerated set to true which is why that and any other app that has it set to true will probably display wrong.

edit - if launcher is set to false portrait will display correctly, if you then force gpu for 2d in developer options then it returns to displaying graphics halfway down screen

edit 2 - IF you want good news on this portrait mode issue, try using the old libs/gralloc/egl (original ics libs and used currently in vegacream I think) not the ones that were tested before and probably you have also been using that caused issues in ics that seemed to work fine in jb but have been causing this issue (ie the newer ones linked to previously in derartems git).

Need to test if these libs will cause other issues but you can try them and see (although I have tried flash and youtube HD and they seemed to work as before the only things that seems slower is the redraw of screen when you rotate from landscape to portrait).

edit 3 - re. MikhailM comment no.8 on tabletroms re. skype I have tested these libs and can confirm that you get video in both directions using them something he said did not happen so maybe the libs used in alpha2 caused this issue although using the old libs again will probably remove his "special thank you" on point 3.

We had the same idea... Using the old nvidia binaries and the rotating problem seems solved.

Guest ejtagle

We had the same idea... Using the old nvidia binaries and the rotating problem seems solved.

Me too. using the older proprietary libs fixes the screen rotation issues :)

Guest MikhailM

Eduardo / Scanno,

Edit 3 - re. MikhailM comment no.8 on tabletroms re. skype I have tested these libs and can confirm that you get video in both directions using them something he said did not happen so maybe the libs used in alpha2 caused this issue although using the old libs again will probably remove his "special thank you" on point 3.

Brucelee666,

Apologize to you and Scanno for the false alarm about the Skype picture. At the second attempt of operating Skype video call between two devices the video link worked both ways with picture and sound.