Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

You are right... 1080 , even if supported by the SoC , is not supported by Android... The youtube app, for example, outputs up to 720p. No more than that.

Regarding manual setting of GPU memory sizes... It was never set to automatic ... Automatic didn't work .. Perhaps the patches i provided had some problems .. (just for the curios, i have a personal git tree, not published yet with all the kernel changes. That personal git works. I also have a folder with all the changed files, to be able to just post changes... But sometimes, i forget to update the folder ;) ...

Regards,

Eduardo

Is it maybe an idea to publish your personal git tree so we can all benefit from it?

Thanks in advance,

Areo

More bugs:

-Bluetooth and wifi don't work togheter on new kernel. Am I doing something wrong???

Request:

Could somebody upload his boot.img so I can look at the changes he made in the ramdisk?

Edited by Areo

Guest ejtagle

Is it maybe an idea to publish your personal git tree so we can all benefit from it?

Thanks in advance,

Areo

More bugs:

-Bluetooth and wifi don't work togheter on new kernel. Am I doing something wrong???

Request:

Could somebody upload his boot.img so I can look at the changes he made in the ramdisk?

-Bluetooth and wifi working together is not a kernel problem. You have to add some entries to init.rc in the ramdisk to enable the btfilt cooperation filter ...

-I also have the power button issue. rebel1 is the one to ask for on the solution ;) -- He did some changes to the power button processing. I think that he did disable autorepeat (change in board-shuttle-keyboard.c, the line that says

.rep = true, /* auto repeat enabled */

by

.rep = false, /* auto repeat enabled */

and recompile kernel

HDMI has never worked in full screen, except in the Youtube app. I think it is not a kernel problem, rather than, an android problem that could possibly by solved by editing the default.prop ... But i havent attempted it

Attached the init.rc that MUST be in the ramdisk. I don't say that this is exactly what is needed, but at least, you need the following pieces of it:

# AP mode daemon for Atheros AR600x

service hostapd /system/bin/hostapd -dddd /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

user root

group root

oneshot

disabled

# Bluetooth/WLAN coexistance filter for Atheros AR600x

service abtfilt /system/bin/abtfilt -c -d -z -n

user root

# DHCP server for Atheros

service dhcpcd /system/bin/dhcpcd -d athap0

disabled

oneshot

Note that you must also make sure the dhcpcd, abtfilt and hostapd daemons are installed in the /system/bin folder of the NAND flash

Regards,

Eduardo

init.rar

-Bluetooth and wifi working together is not a kernel problem. You have to add some entries to init.rc in the ramdisk to enable the btfilt cooperation filter ...

-I also have the power button issue. rebel1 is the one to ask for on the solution ;) -- He did some changes to the power button processing. I think that he did disable autorepeat (change in board-shuttle-keyboard.c, the line that says

by

and recompile kernel

HDMI has never worked in full screen, except in the Youtube app. I think it is not a kernel problem, rather than, an android problem that could possibly by solved by editing the default.prop ... But i havent attempted it

Attached the init.rc that MUST be in the ramdisk. I don't say that this is exactly what is needed, but at least, you need the following pieces of it:

# AP mode daemon for Atheros AR600x

service hostapd /system/bin/hostapd -dddd /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

user root

group root

oneshot

disabled

service abtfilt /system/bin/abtfilt -c -d -z -n

user root

# DHCP server for Atheros

service dhcpcd /system/bin/dhcpcd -d athap0

disabled

oneshot

Note that you must also make sure the dhcpcd, abtfilt and hostapd daemons are installed in the /system/bin folder of the NAND flash

Regards,

Eduardo

I forgot to add this line:

so thanks will test later.

Areo

PS: Eduardo for president? :P

Edited by Areo

Guest pischla

by

Regards,

Eduardo

This worked a treat it seems. I wish I had the some of the knowledge you have Eduardo!

I'm happy though that I've managed to compile a kernel, customized the ramdisk and been able to test it on my tablet.

Now some more testing and customizing!

Agree with you Areo, Ejtagle for president and thanks goes to wooshy1 also for being a good sport and helping such newbies as myself.

Edited by pischla

New problem which oddly enough seem kernel related :S

-Market says connection lost everytime its opened. (after reboot)

I tried it in an a real good test envirement where the only thing that changed was the kernel, very odd.

Anybody else has this problem also?

Areo

Guest xathras

same problem here, also no full screen with hdmi on my television!

I've just discovered by accident that MX Video Player outputs fullscreen HDMI when it uses hardware decoding - hope this is useful (Vegacomb3.2-build9n-update3).

post-797214-0-01013700-1320414631_thumb.

post-797214-0-19723500-1320414665_thumb.

Guest partner2
New problem which oddly enough seem kernel related :S

-Market says connection lost everytime its opened. (after reboot)

I tried it in an a real good test envirement where the only thing that changed was the kernel, very odd.

Anybody else has this problem also?

Areo

Probably the date and/or the time has lost. It also happened to me.

Guest realkoyu

I've just discovered by accident that MX Video Player outputs fullscreen HDMI when it uses hardware decoding - hope this is useful (Vegacomb3.2-build9n-update3).

It seems it is no long the mirror mode I saw in stock roms.

Probably the date and/or the time has lost. It also happened to me.

@areo There has been a discission about loosing time when booting around september 28 on this forum and solutions for that. So you can read that. I do not know if that solution has been added to the kernel.

Edited by Scanno

Guest ejtagle

@areo There has been a discission about loosing time when booting around september 28 on this forum and solutions for that. So you can read that. I do not know if that solution has been added to the kernel.

The fix for the RTC issue is in my latest the patchset... Of course, it must be enabled in the kernel config. Pulling the config from a VC3.2 update 3 should get it ... you must enable 2 RTCs.. The tegra RTC and the TPS6586x RTC, and set the TPS as the backup RTC in the Tegra RTC ...

Guest pischla

I compiled wooshy1's kernel with 128MB GPU memory to test with a problematic site, but only noticed small if any improvement with the stock browser. Downloaded Dolphin HD from market and didn't encounter any problems at all.

I also reverted the overclocking to see if the battery drainage goes down.

Guest wooshy1

rebel1 already included this fix

https://github.com/wooshy1/kernel_2.6.36_nvidia_base/commit/6263da5256536d1a74e511c7001a4fd2e27e4716

https://github.com/wooshy1/kernel_2.6.36_nvidia_base/commit/7442268b40cd6966d2d7cc7fc6ac3f43e5a23498

I compiled wooshy1's kernel with 128MB GPU memory to test with a problematic site, but only noticed small if any improvement with the stock browser. Downloaded Dolphin HD from market and didn't encounter any problems at all.

I also reverted the overclocking to see if the battery drainage goes down.

it should help with the battery as I had to ramp up the core and cpu mv by quite abit to get 1.4ghz to run stable.

I also experimented increasing the gpu memory to 192mb and never had the browser fc but there wasnt enough memory to do anything useful so i enabled 128mb swap but android never used more than 16mb of the swap however I had no fc's related to lack of memory.

the wifi problem I had, isnt fixed in the diet update i downloaded from tabletroms, saying it was fixed.

gave it a try today, but it kept endlessly saying "connecting". it's about the ttls/pap certificate. :)

Guest ejtagle

rebel1 already included this fix

https://github.com/w...01a4fd2e27e4716

https://github.com/w...6ac3f43e5a23498

it should help with the battery as I had to ramp up the core and cpu mv by quite abit to get 1.4ghz to run stable.

I also experimented increasing the gpu memory to 192mb and never had the browser fc but there wasnt enough memory to do anything useful so i enabled 128mb swap but android never used more than 16mb of the swap however I had no fc's related to lack of memory.

wooshy1: I suspect the rampup you had to do to run at 1.4 Ghz is related to the rampup of the GPU , rather than the CPU ... You changed frequency from 300 to 400Mhz, and it is more than 33% of the original frecuency. The tables could be adapted in a better way... Specially the table cpu_millivolts[]

I'd try a different approach: Keep the GPU speed and just try to overclock the CPU. Then, try to overclock the GPU without overclocking the CPU

The core_millivolts is the table controlling the CPU peripherals (including the GPU) and the cpu_millivolts{} just controls the CPU voltage. We should try to keep the Nvidia supplied voltages when using the default frecuencies. And, perhaps, setting the conservative speed governor...

My 2 cents ;)

PD: So you get an idea on the consumption difference. Power consumption increases linearly with frequency, and also, increases linearly with voltage. Ramping up frequency by 40% and ramping up voltage by 40%, makes power consumption ramp by 1.40 and then, by 1.4 = 1.96. So, the SoC is consumption is doubling, battery life is halving, and heat is doubling... You should really take this into consideration when overclocking. And, unfortunately, Tegra2 has no CPU temperature sensor that could be used to reduce frecuency if the CPU starts overheating :(

As i see it, overclocking with passive cooling and no temperature sensor is dangerous, and trading performance by battery life is questionable... The only reason i could see to overclock, is if it is used in bursts, just to get the UI more responsive. But not as a permanent solution ... And, by all means, we should try to keep the frequency as low as possible in the normal use cases.

There is also something missing here: The NVidia kernel is unable to scale GPU frecuency, or at least, everytime i tried, the kernel stopped booting. So it is disabled. Take a look at drivers/video/tegra/dc/dc.c and drivers/media/video/tegra/avp/avp_svc.c (avp is the audio/video decoder coprocessor)

Guest rvdgeer

@Areo: Last night I noticed the light near the camera was on again after putting the device in standby...

I thought this problem was dealt with earlier...

Reason I thought I should post this here is 'cause I believe this was fixed in the Kernel earlier, but maybe got lost in new development...

Hi eduardo,

New kernel is great, only i have two problems.

-In standyby/deep sleep the backlight behind thcamera stwys on, tried to fix it wiyhout succes.

-if bluetooth is on and you want to record a video the tablet crashes, no idea how to fix.

Maybe you could figure it out.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest EasyTarget

Hi! Does someone read http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1297535 about kernel patch which able to improve battery life by 55%? Source codes are available on github. Is this possible to adapt this patch for our kernel?

Since that's a patch for a Samsung Galaxy S, based on the Exynos (ARM Cortex A8) cpu with PowerVR; eg not a Tegra kernel, I think not. Interesting for Galaxy S owners though..

Guest wooshy1

Hi! Does someone read http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1297535 about kernel patch which able to improve battery life by 55%? Source codes are available on github. Is this possible to adapt this patch for our kernel?

As far as I can see no as deep idle is a feature of the nexus s cpu

Hi eduardo,

New kernel is great, only i have two problems.

-In standyby/deep sleep the backlight behind thcamera stwys on, tried to fix it wiyhout succes.

-if bluetooth is on and you want to record a video the tablet crashes, no idea how to fix.

Maybe you could figure it out.

Kind Regards,

Areo

this line in vega_postboot.sh keeps the camera on or shuts it off in suspend

#DISABLE CAMERA in Suspend

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/shuttle-pm-camera/keep_on_in_suspend

this is working for me I dont have any blue led in suspend however I do have to open the camera app and then close it again before going to suspend I assume this starts the camera then shuts it back down as the kernel leaves the camera power on at boot.

I am also getting the reboot when trying to record a video with bluetooth enabled nothing shows up in logcat and cant get to dmesg because this is a kernel panic but I have not got any further than this at the moment.

regarding overclocking agree with Eduardo on this there is too much heat generated at 1.4ghz as the core has to be at least 50mv higher than the cpu 1.2ghz maybe the only safe maximum.

this line in vega_postboot.sh keeps the camera on or shuts it off in suspend

#DISABLE CAMERA in Suspend

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/shuttle-pm-camera/keep_on_in_suspend

I find that this script is probably not running on my VEGA - VC3.2 with 3.2.5x2.

That's how I account for the lines in this that have echo 1 - like BT/WLAN Fix and USB Host Mode still showing 0 in their respective files when checked after boot-up.

Guest mihaidsn

Areo, i never have hw video decoding on vegacom3.2 9n update 3. I try avi,divx,mkv. None of them use hw video. Only sw video decodind in the same mx video player. Can you help me out with this problem? What type of encoding has the movie in the screenshots?

Guest xathras

Areo, i never have hw video decoding on vegacom3.2 9n update 3. I try avi,divx,mkv. None of them use hw video. Only sw video decodind in the same mx video player. Can you help me out with this problem? What type of encoding has the movie in the screenshots?

Here is the output from MediaInfo for the file shown in the screenshot. I don't know much about codecs, so you would be wasting your time asking me what it all means - sorry.

post-797214-0-23675600-1321038240_thumb.

Hi Eduardo,

Can you point to the tegra 2 erratas for ICS, would like to look to compiling the source with proper fixes in place. Have it compiled now before I noticed your earlier post. :)

Errata 657451 ?

Cheers

Cass

Edited by Cass67

Guest ejtagle

Hi Eduardo,

Can you point to the tegra 2 erratas for ICS, would like to look to compiling the source with proper fixes in place. Have it compiled now before I noticed your earlier post. :)

Errata 657451 ?

Cheers

Cass

Well, these are the flags that should be used to compile for tegra2:

-W -O2 -march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -mfloat-abi=softfp -fno-exceptions -fpic -fstrict-aliasing -nostdlib \

-mthumb-interwork -fprefetch-loop-arrays

From those, the most important ones (without them, you risk the compiled image not to boot:)

-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfpv3-d16

ICS is not probably using them, as the original ICS source was compiled targeting an OMAP processor, that has support for NEON extensions (tegra does not support them) and vfpv3-d32, also not supported by tegra2. So, make sure you are not compiling with neon extensions enabled,

Also, you need to add some support for tegra2 errata 657451 , even if the HC supported them partially. But i assume that was because the precompiled HC images we were working with were compiled for a newer Tegra2 device that probably does not have those.

Adding support for tegra2 will require to modify 1 file in the bionic lib. I don't have access to ICS source, but , based on the gingerbread libbionic source.. Attached

Just in case, the defines i used to recompile bionic for Tegra2 and successfully replace the HC libbionic were:

'

-DANDROID -DWITH_ERRLIST -DANDROID_CHANGES \

-DUSE_LOCKS -DREALLOC_ZERO_BYTES_FREES -D_LIBC=1 -DSOFTFLOAT \

-DFLOATING_POINT -DINET6 \

-DPOSIX_MISTAKE \

-DTM_GMTOFF=tm_gmtoff \

-DUSG_COMPAT=1 \

-DNV_USE_NEON_MEMCPY=0 \

-DANDROID_SMP=1 \

-DUSE_DL_PREFIX=1 \

-DSTD_INSPIRED \

-D__ARM_ARCH__=7 -DMALLOC_LEAK_CHECK=1 \

-DHAVE_ARM_TLS_REGISTER

I assume that if the ICS libbionic is compiled with those defines and the above specified compile flags, there will be good chances of ICS to work

For reference, this was the original modification done by Nvidia, and i think it is not present on the ICS source: http://nv-tegra.nvid...f71f7f8afda8a6d

The other relevant changes i was able to spot:

http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=android%2Fplatform%2Fbionic.git&a=search&h=f454cbdbe12f0e264effa4b2ef8540388e3fcfc6&st=author&s=nvidia

bionic_tls.rar

Edited by ejtagle