Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Sorry, I couldn't actually see a dedicated ICS thread and didn't want to start a new one unnecessarily, also as Cass mainly posts on this particular thread re ICS and is probably busy fixing all manner of things on ICS I thought this would be the correct place to post these little issues as I have not seen them raised by any other users.

I will post the same questions on the main board so as any responses do not clog this Kernel thread.

The main board for this ROM is at Tabletroms, where you downloaded the ROM from...

Guest ejtagle

I have the Prime Kernel booting on gtab, tons of errors but it boots and loads the egl drivers at least. Then it just starts boot looping, but it boots at least :)

I am at it right now ... The most complex piece to clean up (removing asus customizations) is the tegra-cpu .. Asus has added an interesting but unusable on tegra2 implementation of an auto cpuin / out policy. The idea behind it it to keep CPU usage between 25% and 50% (it is where the least power consumption can be expected) ... Unfortunately, this does not apply to tegra2, and those aus mods should be cleaned up before using the kernel... So, this is what i am doing right now ... Let-s hope the suspend issue gets solved with this new kernel... Anything you could be interested in, just ask! :)

I am at it right now ... The most complex piece to clean up (removing asus customizations) is the tegra-cpu .. Asus has added an interesting but unusable on tegra2 implementation of an auto cpuin / out policy. The idea behind it it to keep CPU usage between 25% and 50% (it is where the least power consumption can be expected) ... Unfortunately, this does not apply to tegra2, and those aus mods should be cleaned up before using the kernel... So, this is what i am doing right now ... Let-s hope the suspend issue gets solved with this new kernel... Anything you could be interested in, just ask! :)

ha, so many kernels .. lets hope it does not break anything else that currently works ;)

Guest ejtagle

ha, so many kernels .. lets hope it does not break anything else that currently works ;)

Trust me that i don't like it either ...I wish we had the real nvidia .39 kernel, and not the outdated one we have right now. What i am trying to do is to remove as much customizations as possible, bringing the asus .39 kernel as close as possible to .39 mainline. That is why it takes so much time... Asus released the source code, but all the git logs were lost in the process, making this a painful comparison between mainline, ours (=latest nvidia git), and asus... trying to keep improvements while taking out asus customizations, that we are not interested in (most customizations are prime hw specific)

Trust me that i don't like it either ...I wish we had the real nvidia .39 kernel, and not the outdated one we have right now. What i am trying to do is to remove as much customizations as possible, bringing the asus .39 kernel as close as possible to .39 mainline. That is why it takes so much time... Asus released the source code, but all the git logs were lost in the process, making this a painful comparison between mainline, ours (=latest nvidia git), and asus... trying to keep improvements while taking out asus customizations, that we are not interested in (most customizations are prime hw specific)

I feel your pain mate .. lets hope this is the final one we use and we get some public libs that work for HQ with it too .. im tired of pinging around in the dark looking to the sleep problems with no fruit at all so i can imagine what your feeling porting all the many kernels we've been through so far to get to this stage :)

Cheers

Cass

Guest brucelee666

For info Nvidia just released an ics 4.0 system image for ventana, see:-

Tegra resources - ics 4 image

Has anyone looked at the rel-14r7 head on nvidia github ? it is 2.6.39.4 but is dated 2 weeks since last update- maybe its the prime kernel without asus mods (quick look no mention of asus in cpu-tegra and wakeups-t2 at same level as prime kernel) possibly just pushed to git with above release as cannot remember seeing this before ?

nvidia github kernel

Edited by brucelee666

Guest ejtagle
For info Nvidia just released an ics 4.0 system image for ventana, see:-Tegra resources - ics 4 imageHas anyone looked at the rel-14r7 head on nvidia github ? it is 2.6.39.4 but is dated 2 weeks since last update- maybe its the prime kernel without asus mods (quick look no mention of asus in cpu-tegra and wakeups-t2 at same level as prime kernel) possibly just pushed to git with above release as cannot remember seeing this before ?nvidia github kernel
Ventana is a Tegra2 based design... So... Yes, that image should be perfectly usable as a base for ll our efforts. Porting the drivers we already have to that rel-14r7 head is trivial. It is just addidng the source files of our drivers and merging the makefiles and KConfig files with the ones we already have. There is no need to modify the driver source code to make it work.And the Ventana image should supply all the required propietary hw acceleration libraries to need to make opengles, video decode hw acceleration work ...I should be happy... but, i'll have to rebase our drivers to that kernel :S to see what happens...

edit: Preliminary inspection shows this kernel is probably the one asus used as starting point ...

:

edit2: On a 2nd thought, it won-t be as trivial... we already fixed several wakelock problems this kernel still has.. the mmc wakelock and the accelerometer wakelock...So, this means an small code merge is needed ;)

Edited by ejtagle

Guest ejtagle

Ventana is a Tegra2 based design... So... Yes, that image should be perfectly usable as a base for ll our efforts. Porting the drivers we already have to that rel-14r7 head is trivial. It is just addidng the source files of our drivers and merging the makefiles and KConfig files with the ones we already have. There is no need to modify the driver source code to make it work.And the Ventana image should supply all the required propietary hw acceleration libraries to need to make opengles, video decode hw acceleration work ...I should be happy... but, i'll have to rebase our drivers to that kernel :S to see what happens...

edit: Preliminary inspection shows this kernel is probably the one asus used as starting point ...

:

edit2: On a 2nd thought, it won-t be as trivial... we already fixed several wakelock problems this kernel still has.. the mmc wakelock and the accelerometer wakelock...So, this means an small code merge is needed ;)

To be expected ... Onthe first try, the new kernel does not start :S ... This will be harder than expected ... Something is crashing, have to figure out what and why ...

Guest _motley

Awesome guys! We have been following this thread for the past couple days and then we saw pershoot post today. We are working on the Galaxy Tab 8.9 tegra2 device. I have been merging .39 video drivers for awhile now with no luck, trying misc binaries (xoom, notion ink adam etc.). I can never get the kernel to boot (logo persists for seconds and then restarts).

With all the new kernel config options, I am not sure if I should be using the CONFIG_TEGRA_AVP_KERNEL_ON_MMU for tegra2 or letting fall through to final "else". I see that this controls the init of nvrm_avp.bin in avp.c. And now in this latest Nvidia ventana release, I see there is now also the nvavp_os_[address].bin that I am trying to understand that is loaded in nvavp_dev.c. Can you give a clue if I should be using CONFIG_TEGRA_AVP_KERNEL_ON_MMU or not?

I am a novice at kernel development, just started playing with it this year. It has been quite fun, but also quite frustrating! LOL.

Cheers

Edited by _motley

Guest Zebuddi

Hi To All

@all

Hi i was looking through the github, trying to familiarize myself with the structure and looking through files. i came across this CONFIG_CMDLINE="init=/bin/ash" in file

kernel_2.6.36_nvidia_base / config-board-shuttle-hc3.2

line 400

https://github.com/wooshy1/kernel_2.6.36_nvidia_base/tree/0caee0fa00612bb128e645a4b39e515c5cd6c0af

should the line read "init=/Bin/Bash" ? its probably me miss understanding but i thought id point it out just in case its a spelling error

Zebuddi

Guest _motley

I had to revert the changes to the backlight driver in order to get the tab to boot. before that it would die almost immediately.

Interesting, thanks. I haven't merged those changes in yet (assuming /drivers/video/backlight/tegra_pwm_bl.c). For the Samsung GT's, we also have the CMC623 ImageConverter functionality that further complicates the standard tegra video driver from Nvidia. I am curious if pershoot is leaving all that code in or not. I have attempted to leave it in for now since I don't fully understand if it is 100% necessary for our hardware.

Right now, I can't even get up to where I can see what is happening via adb.

Edited by _motley

Awesome guys! We have been following this thread for the past couple days and then we saw pershoot post today. We are working on the Galaxy Tab 8.9 tegra2 device. I have been merging .39 video drivers for awhile now with no luck, trying misc binaries (xoom, notion ink adam etc.). I can never get the kernel to boot (logo persists for seconds and then restarts).

With all the new kernel config options, I am not sure if I should be using the CONFIG_TEGRA_AVP_KERNEL_ON_MMU for tegra2 or letting fall through to final "else". I see that this controls the init of nvrm_avp.bin in avp.c. And now in this latest Nvidia ventana release, I see there is now also the nvavp_os_[address].bin that I am trying to understand that is loaded in nvavp_dev.c. Can you give a clue if I should be using CONFIG_TEGRA_AVP_KERNEL_ON_MMU or not?

I am a novice at kernel development, just started playing with it this year. It has been quite fun, but also quite frustrating! LOL.

Cheers

Yes, you want to set CONFIG_TEGRA_AVP_KERNEL_ON_MMU=y or bad things will happen when the AVP tried to load up during decoding (i.e. most likely a panic and reboot).

Hi To All

@all

Hi i was looking through the github, trying to familiarize myself with the structure and looking through files. i came across this CONFIG_CMDLINE="init=/bin/ash" in file

kernel_2.6.36_nvidia_base / config-board-shuttle-hc3.2

line 400

https://github.com/w...39e515c5cd6c0af

should the line read "init=/Bin/Bash" ? its probably me miss understanding but i thought id point it out just in case its a spelling error

Zebuddi

ash is correct. :)

Guest ejtagle

:)

I am slowly but surely going forward with .39 .. I started with our booting .39, and began porting the latest subsystems to it, one by one... until now, it still boots... i am using right now all chnges except android adb ... I have to still figure out why video on the latest .39 (r14-3) does not show anything, even if there is no error in the kernel log...)

Guest pershoot

I am slowly but surely going forward with .39 .. I started with our booting .39, and began porting the latest subsystems to it, one by one... until now, it still boots... i am using right now all chnges except android adb ... I have to still figure out why video on the latest .39 (r14-3) does not show anything, even if there is no error in the kernel log...)

speaking just from a video perspective:

use the '14' libs (http://android.modac...ost__p__1865178) from the ventana ics rls this morning.

set TEGRA_DC_EXTENSIONS (overlay off) and 666 /dev/tegra_dc_0 and /dev/tegra_dc_1 (new gralloc uses _%u instead of %u).

im getting things cleaned up and will post change ids from my backport/sync, and also libs needed for HW OMX, etc.

Edited by pershoot

Guest pershoot

speaking just from a video perspective:

use the '14' libs (http://android.modac...ost__p__1865178) from the ventana ics rls this morning.

set TEGRA_DC_EXTENSIONS (overlay off) and 666 /dev/tegra_dc_0 and /dev/tegra_dc_1 (new gralloc uses _%u instead of %u).

im getting things cleaned up and will post change ids from my backport/sync, and also libs needed for HW OMX, etc.

too many deps to go through. just used the lot of them (libnv*, libstagefrighthw, omxplayer, *.axf, *gl* (egl), gralloc/hwcompose (hw)).

kernel (the other sync changes from nv-2.6.36 are required if using my patches):

https://github.com/p...7c9c2a04c72146d

https://github.com/p...b8f1970459c05ad

https://github.com/p...5fdaf398676a90f

Edited by pershoot

Guest _motley

too many deps to go through. just used the lot of them (libnv*, libstagefrighthw, omxplayer, *.axf, *gl* (egl), gralloc/hwcompose (hw)).

kernel (the other sync changes from nv-2.6.36 are required if using my patches):

https://github.com/p...7c9c2a04c72146d

https://github.com/p...b8f1970459c05ad

https://github.com/p...5fdaf398676a90f

Hi pershoot, good work!

I have done all the kernel merges for the GT 8.9, but I still can't get the kernel to boot. I can't even get to adb from the desktop. It will sit at the boot logo for a minute and then reboot. Even in charging mode it will fail and reboot, so I know it is something at the low level of initialization.

If I use my previous kernel with new libs, at least it boots but without video as expected.

Beyond the kernel changes, below are some other details on what I have done. Any ideas on what could be failing in the init and what can I do to further troubleshoot? Perhaps something in the framework changed and I don't have it? (haven't synced in a little while). Thanks for all that you do!

Details:

1) I have this in the init.p3.rc

on init

# set tegra_dc0/1 perms

chmod 666 /dev/tegra_dc_0

chmod 666 /dev/tegra_dc_1

2) I am using the proprietary ventana files. I also tried using just the 14 you mentioned earlier with our HC 3.2. It doesn't matter if I do that or use your whole lot, doesn't make any difference.

3) device tree configuration for p5 common is about the the same as yours. I am not passing any different kernel cmd line params from android, nor have I changed the cmd line params in the kernel itself.

I have tried removing the last line that fixed the green overlay, but that doesn't make any difference either.

BOARD_USES_GENERIC_AUDIO := false

USE_CAMERA_STUB := false

DEVICE_PACKAGE_OVERLAYS += $(LOCAL_PATH)/overlay

TARGET_NO_BOOTLOADER := true

TARGET_CPU_ABI := armeabi-v7a

TARGET_CPU_ABI2 := armeabi

TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT := armv7-a

TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT_CPU := cortex-a9

TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT_FPU := vfpv3-d16

TARGET_CPU_SMP := true

#TARGET_HAVE_TEGRA_ERRATA_657451 := true

ARCH_ARM_HAVE_TLS_REGISTER := true

BOARD_KERNEL_BASE := 0x10000000

BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE := 

BOARD_PAGE_SIZE := 2048

TARGET_NO_RADIOIMAGE := true

TARGET_BOARD_PLATFORM := tegra

TARGET_BOOTLOADER_BOARD_NAME := p3

#TARGET_BOARD_INFO_FILE := device/samsung/p5-common/board-info.txt

BOARD_EGL_CFG := device/samsung/p5-common/egl.cfg

#BOARD_USES_HGL := true

#BOARD_USES_OVERLAY := true

USE_OPENGL_RENDERER := true

BOARD_USES_AUDIO_LEGACY := true

TARGET_RECOVERY_PIXEL_FORMAT := "RGBX_8888"

#TARGET_RECOVERY_UI_LIB := librecovery_ui_ventana

# custom recovery ui

BOARD_CUSTOM_RECOVERY_KEYMAPPING := ../../device/samsung/p5-common/recovery/recovery_ui.c

BOARD_HAS_NO_SELECT_BUTTON := true

BOARD_HAS_LARGE_FILESYSTEM := true

# override recovery init.rc

TARGET_RECOVERY_INITRC := device/samsung/p5-common/recovery/init.rc

# Indicate that the board has an Internal SD Card

BOARD_HAS_SDCARD_INTERNAL := true

# device-specific extensions to the updater binary

#TARGET_RECOVERY_UPDATER_LIBS += librecovery_updater_ventana

TARGET_RELEASETOOLS_EXTENSIONS := device/samsung/p5-common

TARGET_USERIMAGES_USE_EXT4 := true

BOARD_FLASH_BLOCK_SIZE := 4096

# Wifi related defines

WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION := VER_0_8_X

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER := WEXT

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_PRIVATE_LIB := lib_driver_cmd_bcmdhd

BOARD_HOSTAP_DRIVER := WEXT

BOARD_HOSTAP_PRIVATE_LIB := lib_driver_cmd_bcmdhd

BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE := bcmdhd

BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE_REV := bcm4330

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH 	:= "/system/lib/modules/dhd.ko"

WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH 	:= "/system/etc/wifi/bcm4330.bin"

WIFI_DRIVER_FW_AP_PATH      := "/vendor/firmware/fw_bcm4330_apsta.bin"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME 	:=  "dhd"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG      :=  "firmware_path=/system/etc/wifi/bcm4330_sta.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt"

BOARD_HAVE_BLUETOOTH := true

BOARD_HAVE_BLUETOOTH_BCM := true

#BOARD_LIB_DUMPSTATE := libdumpstate.ventana

# Use nicer font rendering

BOARD_USE_SKIA_LCDTEXT := true

# Charging Mode (LPM)

BOARD_CHARGING_MODE_BOOTING_LPM := "/sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_mode_booting"

# Don't dequeue current buffer

BOARD_NO_ALLOW_DEQUEUE_CURRENT_BUFFER := true

# COMMON_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -DMISSING_EGL_EXTERNAL_IMAGE -DMISSING_EGL_PIXEL_FORMAT_YV12 -DMISSING_GRALLOC_BUFFERS 

Guest pershoot

Hi pershoot, good work!

I have done all the kernel merges for the GT 8.9, but I still can't get the kernel to boot. I can't even get to adb from the desktop. It will sit at the boot logo for a minute and then reboot. Even in charging mode it will fail and reboot, so I know it is something at the low level of initialization.

If I use my previous kernel with new libs, at least it boots but without video as expected.

Beyond the kernel changes, below are some other details on what I have done. Any ideas on what could be failing in the init and what can I do to further troubleshoot? Perhaps something in the framework changed and I don't have it? (haven't synced in a little while). Thanks for all that you do!

Details:

1) I have this in the init.p3.rc

on init

# set tegra_dc0/1 perms

chmod 666 /dev/tegra_dc_0

chmod 666 /dev/tegra_dc_1

2) I am using the proprietary ventana files. I also tried using just the 14 you mentioned earlier with our HC 3.2. It doesn't matter if I do that or use your whole lot, doesn't make any difference.

3) device tree configuration for p5 common is about the the same as yours. I am not passing any different kernel cmd line params from android, nor have I changed the cmd line params in the kernel itself.

I have tried removing the last line that fixed the green overlay, but that doesn't make any difference either.

BOARD_USES_GENERIC_AUDIO := false

USE_CAMERA_STUB := false

DEVICE_PACKAGE_OVERLAYS += $(LOCAL_PATH)/overlay

TARGET_NO_BOOTLOADER := true

TARGET_CPU_ABI := armeabi-v7a

TARGET_CPU_ABI2 := armeabi

TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT := armv7-a

TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT_CPU := cortex-a9

TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT_FPU := vfpv3-d16

TARGET_CPU_SMP := true

#TARGET_HAVE_TEGRA_ERRATA_657451 := true

ARCH_ARM_HAVE_TLS_REGISTER := true

BOARD_KERNEL_BASE := 0x10000000

BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE := 

BOARD_PAGE_SIZE := 2048

TARGET_NO_RADIOIMAGE := true

TARGET_BOARD_PLATFORM := tegra

TARGET_BOOTLOADER_BOARD_NAME := p3

#TARGET_BOARD_INFO_FILE := device/samsung/p5-common/board-info.txt

BOARD_EGL_CFG := device/samsung/p5-common/egl.cfg

#BOARD_USES_HGL := true

#BOARD_USES_OVERLAY := true

USE_OPENGL_RENDERER := true

BOARD_USES_AUDIO_LEGACY := true

TARGET_RECOVERY_PIXEL_FORMAT := "RGBX_8888"

#TARGET_RECOVERY_UI_LIB := librecovery_ui_ventana

# custom recovery ui

BOARD_CUSTOM_RECOVERY_KEYMAPPING := ../../device/samsung/p5-common/recovery/recovery_ui.c

BOARD_HAS_NO_SELECT_BUTTON := true

BOARD_HAS_LARGE_FILESYSTEM := true

# override recovery init.rc

TARGET_RECOVERY_INITRC := device/samsung/p5-common/recovery/init.rc

# Indicate that the board has an Internal SD Card

BOARD_HAS_SDCARD_INTERNAL := true

# device-specific extensions to the updater binary

#TARGET_RECOVERY_UPDATER_LIBS += librecovery_updater_ventana

TARGET_RELEASETOOLS_EXTENSIONS := device/samsung/p5-common

TARGET_USERIMAGES_USE_EXT4 := true

BOARD_FLASH_BLOCK_SIZE := 4096

# Wifi related defines

WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION := VER_0_8_X

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER := WEXT

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_PRIVATE_LIB := lib_driver_cmd_bcmdhd

BOARD_HOSTAP_DRIVER := WEXT

BOARD_HOSTAP_PRIVATE_LIB := lib_driver_cmd_bcmdhd

BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE := bcmdhd

BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE_REV := bcm4330

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH 	:= "/system/lib/modules/dhd.ko"

WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH 	:= "/system/etc/wifi/bcm4330.bin"

WIFI_DRIVER_FW_AP_PATH      := "/vendor/firmware/fw_bcm4330_apsta.bin"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME 	:=  "dhd"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG      :=  "firmware_path=/system/etc/wifi/bcm4330_sta.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt"

BOARD_HAVE_BLUETOOTH := true

BOARD_HAVE_BLUETOOTH_BCM := true

#BOARD_LIB_DUMPSTATE := libdumpstate.ventana

# Use nicer font rendering

BOARD_USE_SKIA_LCDTEXT := true

# Charging Mode (LPM)

BOARD_CHARGING_MODE_BOOTING_LPM := "/sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_mode_booting"

# Don't dequeue current buffer

BOARD_NO_ALLOW_DEQUEUE_CURRENT_BUFFER := true

# COMMON_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -DMISSING_EGL_EXTERNAL_IMAGE -DMISSING_EGL_PIXEL_FORMAT_YV12 -DMISSING_GRALLOC_BUFFERS 

check your kernel video subsystem to ensure it is sync'd in full to the latest .39.4 offering, and ensure you have at the minimum the 14 files listed above from the ventana ics rls from yesterday for a boot, with DC_EXTENSIONS on and 666 to the dev interfaces.

Edited by pershoot

Guest _motley

check your kernel video subsystem to ensure it is sync'd in full to the latest .39.4 offering, and ensure you have at the minimum the 14 files listed above from the ventana ics rls from yesterday for a boot, with DC_EXTENSIONS on and 666 to the dev interfaces.

Thanks, I am going to go over it one more time using a directory/file compare tool. I have downloaded your kernel and the Nvidia .39.4 to compare with. DC_EXTENSIONS are on (overlay = off) and libs and perms to the devs should be fine as well. I also did a file compare with your latest defconfig to make sure I wasn't missing anything there. I'll keep at it, hopefully I will find something!

One more question, should the nvrm_avp.bin be from the ventana release? That is what I am doing now.

Edit: files sizes appear to be different, perhaps you are still using the original HC file?

Edit2: nevermind, I looked wrong, you do appear to use the ventana one...

Edited by _motley

Guest pershoot

Thanks, I am going to go over it one more time using a directory/file compare tool. I have downloaded your kernel and the Nvidia .39.4 to compare with. DC_EXTENSIONS are on (overlay = off) and libs and perms to the devs should be fine as well. I also did a file compare with your latest defconfig to make sure I wasn't missing anything there. I'll keep at it, hopefully I will find something!

One more question, should the nvrm_avp.bin be from the ventana release? That is what I am doing now.

it should, yea (along with everything else your bringing in from it).

edit:

dont forget to add your custom stuff back in (rgb, dc, etc.) after syncing. you can follow my git log messages (for what was done,reverted,etc.) and changes as a guide.

Edited by pershoot

Guest _motley

it should, yea (along with everything else your bringing in from it).

edit:

dont forget to add your custom stuff back in (rgb, dc, etc.) after syncing. you can follow my git log messages (for what was done,reverted,etc.) and changes as a guide.

Thanks man. I have been trying to merge files like this carefully since they have some p5 conditions etc. It almost seems like the boot loader isn't passing the right params, but there is no way to prove it since I can't get to logging etc. Since we don't pass boot cmd line params from Android and the ones in the kernel are simple, don't the params I always see in dmesg come from the bootloader itself?