phone replacement - buy another unlock code?

Guest Tech

my HD7 became faulty within 3.5 weeks of buying it sim free from the O2 store (I am on t-mobile) - battery became very poor and weak without internet, calls or texts (lasted 4 hours after being fully charged with FULL signal bars)

I bought an unlock code from htcimeiunlock.com to unlock the phone and worked great!

But now I have had to give it an instore exchange/swap (O2 policy) - I now need another unlock code. Do I have to purchase another one?! That would be unfair as no one knows how long it will take to find it if the device gets faulty! in this case for me...3.5 weeks ;)

Guest awarner

Problem is the unlocking service was by an independant company and as they have to also buy the codes themselves they then have to pass that charge on to you.

Unless you can ask O2 and make up some story that you need two SIM cards in the device for different locations etc due to reception issues?

not sure what you mean by 2 SIM cards from O2? can you explain further?

oh - and my IMEI number isn't on the system on the htc unlock imei website ;)

WOW. this really is a bad experience ;)

Guest awarner

2 SIM cards, one for O2 and another for say Voda as O2 will not work where you are.

never know they may understand and unlock for you, don't ask don't get.

Guest awarner

That would be the general idea, telling them you need to use another networks SIM as well as their own due to reception issues. Or you could try telling them you need it unlocked as you are going to be travelling abroard.

Try calling them first you will probably get more success that way.

no go. they said it has to be on the network for 12 months AND you would have to pay £15 for them to unlock it.

this REALLY sucks. paid £400 for a sim free handset.

Guest awarner

You did not buy it SIM free, you bought it Pay and Go, SIM free if it had been available would have been a lot more expensive and would not have been sold by a network.

Mobilefun for example have the HD7 SIM free for £510 and Amazon for £508

hmm ok. true! I guess im just used to calling it that because I have bought sim free handsets before on WM devices ;)

still though, this is pretty tough...there must be a way available to unlock a WP7 handset

• 2 weeks later...

so its been 1.5 weeks or maybe slightly more since I got my replacement. but STILL no unlock code available from the htc unlock website.

so my days are counting down until I can return the handset IF it develops a fault but I cannot test it because my SIM will not work on it (as I am on t-mobile).

waste of money to purchase the phone now? absolutely gutted. :P Wish there was another way of unlocking the device. or obtaining the unlock code.