09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

One of us is confused :P

Are you trying to install mcr with the Vega in recovery? If so, wrong approach. You install mcr using ADB which means your Vega is booted normally with USB Debugging turned on (Settings->Applications->Development).

.. top advice m8. and not having the correct driver install didn,t help either.. ;) so once ide installed the vorrect ADB and removed the mass storage driver.. it flashed no prob first time. and glad t say its as sweet as a nut now.. thanks for the push in the right direction.. . :D

Guest simonta
.. top advice m8. and not having the correct driver install didn,t help either.. ;) so once ide installed the vorrect ADB and removed the mass storage driver.. it flashed no prob first time. and glad t say its as sweet as a nut now.. thanks for the push in the right direction.. . :P

Glad to have helped, have fun.....

Guest simonta
Please can any one assist? I have down loaded the R& and have unzipped to my desktop I have enabled usb debugging and when I connect the usb cable the connection is made between my pc and the vega. however when i click on the install windows batch file and then the run command I get the the windows system 3 exe.command screen but it has the message waiting for device---ensure that usb debugging is enabled in settings --applications and connect cable.

I have done that as I said but the command screen just sits with the cursor flaskin and nothing statrs up.

Is there somthing I am missing out to do?

regards

Alistair

Hi Alistair

Please confirm that with USB debugging turned on, you see "Android Phone->ADB Interface Driver" or "Android Phone->ADB Composite USB interface".

If so, reboot your Vega (power off and back on) then try again.

Good luck

Guest NatalieMc

Thanks for the reply...I got it all restored back to stock with no problems, left it for a while and then reinstalled the modified rom. While its installing the very last bit whizzes up lots of ....something bin:access denied...and then exactly the same thing, little robot but wont boot any further. Think Im going to have to give this up as Im not techy enough to know whats going wrong with it ;)

Thanks for the help

Guest simonta
Thanks for the reply...I got it all restored back to stock with no problems, left it for a while and then reinstalled the modified rom. While its installing the very last bit whizzes up lots of ....something bin:access denied...and then exactly the same thing, little robot but wont boot any further. Think Im going to have to give this up as Im not techy enough to know whats going wrong with it ;)

Thanks for the help

Nope, all is not lost and believe me, a little perseverance will pay back big time. The Vega with a custom ROM is a completely different beast and is far more capable than the stock ROM.

To see what the problem is, open install-windows.bat in Notepad, go to the end, add a new line, add "pause" (without the quotes) and run it again. You will be able to see what the errors are and report back.

The alternative is to jump straight to a "modern" custom ROM like Corvus5. The mcr ROMs are long abandoned and don't have many of the latest fixes and tweaks.

Do stick with it, you won't regret it!

Guest nigelannelouise
Nope, all is not lost and believe me, a little perseverance will pay back big time. The Vega with a custom ROM is a completely different beast and is far more capable than the stock ROM.

To see what the problem is, open install-windows.bat in Notepad, go to the end, add a new line, add "pause" (without the quotes) and run it again. You will be able to see what the errors are and report back.

The alternative is to jump straight to a "modern" custom ROM like Corvus5. The mcr ROMs are long abandoned and don't have many of the latest fixes and tweaks.

Do stick with it, you won't regret it!

Hi All, Don't know how to post my problem but maybe someone will pick it up here and advise me!!!!!!!

I am a 62 years young newbie, but have been into computers and Gadgets for some 22years now, my 1st MP3 track was in the early days of 1989, how technology moves on.

Here's hoping someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. I have baked the R8 Rom for my Advent Vega and followed Paul's install guide to the letter.

However here is what happens and i cannot move past it.

Following the Command Prompt instructions

*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*

*daemon started successfully*

- flashing cursor

That's it, nothing else happens.

Command prompt just remains that far into the install.

I think it has to be something i am not grasping so please point me in the right direction.

Regards

Nigelannelouise

Guest simonta
Hi All, Don't know how to post my problem but maybe someone will pick it up here and advise me!!!!!!!

I am a 62 years young newbie, but have been into computers and Gadgets for some 22years now, my 1st MP3 track was in the early days of 1989, how technology moves on.

Here's hoping someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. I have baked the R8 Rom for my Advent Vega and followed Paul's install guide to the letter.

However here is what happens and i cannot move past it.

Following the Command Prompt instructions

*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*

*daemon started successfully*

- flashing cursor

That's it, nothing else happens.

Command prompt just remains that far into the install.

I think it has to be something i am not grasping so please point me in the right direction.

Regards

Nigelannelouise

Hi

First thing, if you are doing something which involves your PC, please get into the habit of letting people know which OS you are using. So, first question, what OS are you using? ;)

With your Vega plugged in just as you had it when you tried to install the ROM, open device manager. Do you see "Android Phone->ABD Composite Interface" or similar? Any exclamation marks next to it? If you don't see this, search for YAUDIG and AUDI. If you do this, reboot your PC and Vega and try again.

Good luck.

Guest adwb1949
Hi Alistair

Please confirm that with USB debugging turned on, you see "Android Phone->ADB Interface Driver" or "Android Phone->ADB Composite USB interface".

If so, reboot your Vega (power off and back on) then try again.

Good luck

Thank you for the advice unfortunately I still can't get the usb connection right. the Vega is visible to the PC and the sdcard {drive E] is visible and and I can transfer images etc to it.

if I look in systems/device manger/usb controller the Vega is listed as usb mass storage device.

within the madaocustom rom down load I unzipped the usb driver and in the devices tried to up date the driver for the mass storage device but I get the message that the driver is up to date.

as a result when I try to use the install-windows batch file it hangs on start up asking is the usb debugging enabled and connected the answer is of course yes but for some reason that fact is not recognised. windows xp home fully updated on my laptop,Vega is android 2.2 ec 1.9.0kernal 2.6.32.9_p10_v1.09_20110211_dix build harmony 2.2 FRF91 201102011.101539.

any suggestions please.

thanks

Alistair

Guest simonta
Thank you for the advice unfortunately I still can't get the usb connection right. the Vega is visible to the PC and the sdcard {drive E] is visible and and I can transfer images etc to it.

if I look in systems/device manger/usb controller the Vega is listed as usb mass storage device.

within the madaocustom rom down load I unzipped the usb driver and in the devices tried to up date the driver for the mass storage device but I get the message that the driver is up to date.

as a result when I try to use the install-windows batch file it hangs on start up asking is the usb debugging enabled and connected the answer is of course yes but for some reason that fact is not recognised. windows xp home fully updated on my laptop,Vega is android 2.2 ec 1.9.0kernal 2.6.32.9_p10_v1.09_20110211_dix build harmony 2.2 FRF91 201102011.101539.

any suggestions please.

thanks

Alistair

You don't have USB debugging turned on. Go to Settings->Applications->Development and select it. Do not turn on USB Storage.

Guest ibf80

Hi there - I'm new to this, so apologies in advance. I got my Advent tablet yesterday but flashed the r8 rom this evening. Before doing this i had a brief play around, surfed the net, went on the bbc webpage to check flash was working etc. Now, after flashing with Paul's rom I get all the added apps, android market etc. but cannot connect to my wifi at all - had no problems before, it says that it is scanning then disconnects. I've now tried to use the original updated firmware available on www.myadventvega.co.uk to re-establish wi-fi but with no luck - I'm left with a tablet that cannot get online at all can someone please help!!

Thanks

p.s. I am using Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Guest premieral
Hi there - I'm new to this, so apologies in advance. I got my Advent tablet yesterday but flashed the r8 rom this evening. Before doing this i had a brief play around, surfed the net, went on the bbc webpage to check flash was working etc. Now, after flashing with Paul's rom I get all the added apps, android market etc. but cannot connect to my wifi at all - had no problems before, it says that it is scanning then disconnects. I've now tried to use the original updated firmware available on www.myadventvega.co.uk to re-establish wi-fi but with no luck - I'm left with a tablet that cannot get online at all can someone please help!!

Thanks

p.s. I am using Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Have you tried resetting your router that fixed mine

Guest adwb1949
You don't have USB debugging turned on. Go to Settings->Applications->Development and select it. Do not turn on USB Storage.

ok thank you I was turning on the usb storage and now when I run the batch file it gets to a point where the screen says *daemon started successfully*

and there it stops so what do I do next?

regards

edit , I see from a previous post this which I guess also applied to me .

quote "With your Vega plugged in just as you had it when you tried to install the ROM, open device manager. Do you see "Android Phone->ABD Composite Interface" or similar? Any exclamation marks next to it? If you don't see this, search for YAUDIG and AUDI. If you do this, reboot your PC and Vega and try again"

so in device manager I do not see Android phone ------ search for YAUDIG and AUDI ? where? I have rebooted but with the same hang up result

regards

second edit , I forgot the install window says *starting it now on port 5037* then *daemon started successfully*

Edited by adwb1949

Guest simonta
ok thank you I was turning on the usb storage and now when I run the batch file it gets to a point where the screen says *daemon started successfully*

and there it stops so what do I do next?

regards

edit , I see from a previous post this which I guess also applied to me .

quote "With your Vega plugged in just as you had it when you tried to install the ROM, open device manager. Do you see "Android Phone->ABD Composite Interface" or similar? Any exclamation marks next to it? If you don't see this, search for YAUDIG and AUDI. If you do this, reboot your PC and Vega and try again"

so in device manager I do not see Android phone ------ search for YAUDIG and AUDI ? where? I have rebooted but with the same hang up result

regards

second edit , I forgot the install window says *starting it now on port 5037* then *daemon started successfully*

Search for YAUDIG and AUDI in the forum, however, if you get daemon started, the drivers are OK so you're past that step. Please confirm again that you cannot see Android Phone in device manager. If you have debugging turned on, and the daemon is started, you're the first person in the history of Android not to have an Android Phone device class ;)

If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, right click adb-windows.exe, Properties->Compatibility->Run as adminstrator. Click OK and try the install again.

Guest gianfrancovialli10

I bought an advent vega off ebay last week but whenever I play a flash video, a flickering line can be seen across the screen. Thinking this was ROM related, i changed from r8 to Corvus5 but the issue still persists.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem or do you think I have been sold a faulty unit?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.

Guest simonta
I bought an advent vega off ebay last week but whenever I play a flash video, a flickering line can be seen across the screen. Thinking this was ROM related, i changed from r8 to Corvus5 but the issue still persists.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem or do you think I have been sold a faulty unit?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.

Gianfrancovialli. This is getting a bit annoying.

Guest adwb1949
Search for YAUDIG and AUDI in the forum, however, if you get daemon started, the drivers are OK so you're past that step. Please confirm again that you cannot see Android Phone in device manager. If you have debugging turned on, and the daemon is started, you're the first person in the history of Android not to have an Android Phone device class :)

If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, right click adb-windows.exe, Properties->Compatibility->Run as adminstrator. Click OK and try the install again.

Thank you once again,

I confirm am on windows XP, I have attached a screen shot of device manager screen, when this was taken, the vega connected and turned on, the usb debugging is on.

also now the only thing that happens when I run the batch file is as per attachment !!! I guess I am the only Vega owner on the planet with a non communicating laptop and Vega B)

Alistair

post-896730-1308388518_thumb.jpg

post-896730-1308388724_thumb.jpg

Edited by adwb1949

Guest simonta
Thank you once again,

I confirm am on windows XP, I have attached a screen shot of device manager screen, when this was taken, the vega connected and turned on, the usb debugging is on.

also now the only thing that happens when I run the batch file is as per attachment !!! I guess I am the only Vega owner on the planet with a non communicating laptop and Vega :)

Alistair

Don't despair, we'll get there. That USB Mass Storage Device. Does it go when you unplug the Vega? If so, for whatever reason you still don't have USB debugging turned on. Reboot your Vega. Go straight to Settings->Applications->Development. Don't turn on USB Storage. I don't know what's going on, so difficult remotely, but I do suspect you are turning on USB Storage. My apologies if I am sounding condescending.

Guest ellen1

mcrvegar71.png

mcrvegar72.png

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom for the Advent Vega! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. ;)

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have an Advent Vega. And a computer. ;)

Features Included (many optional via the Online Kitchen)

• Rebuilt, compressed and optimised with the MCR build system
  • Includes 'Performance Pack v2' speed optimisations using Nvidia SDK components and other tweaks and improvements. It's fast!
  • Includes MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK)
  • Full Google experience including Car Home, Calendar, Contacts, Genie (News and Weather), Gmail, Maps with Street View, Market, Talk, Voice Search and YouTube
  • All Google components are running the latest release
  • Custom configuration to show ALL apps in the Android Market
  • Distinct multitouch permissions for Google Maps rotation support
  • Spare Parts application from the official Tegra Developer Kit
  • Superuser application and su binary from ChainsDD for SAFE root functionality
  • Recovery reboot utility
  • USB Mode switch utility
  • Screen calibration utility
  • 'Small Notification Bar' (it looks goooood!) with half height notification bar but full width buttons.
  • ADW Launcher
  • 'terminfo' configuration in boot image - apps like 'nano' are now be usable
  • Patched wpa_supplicant for ad-hoc support
  • Touch optimisations
  • Does not include Adobe Flash - install from the Android Market
  • Themers - this ROM is signed with the SDK Platform certs

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM (without using ClockworkMod recovery):
    • Ensure you have USB debugging enabled on your device (enabled in Settings->Applications->Development)
    • If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac
    • Connect your device to your PC
    • At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate
    • Wait for your device to reboot! :)
      • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
      • Restart your device in recovery mode
      • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
      • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card

Upgrading

No wipe is explicitly required in order to use this ROM, however if you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

Prebake download

[*]r8 (default kitchen options below) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: c7c86fb9d5929c012d7d3ba87da0a872

Kitchen download

[*]A online kitchen is also available below for you to bake a Custom Custom ROM. B)

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not implying in any way that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely. Please do not donate / sign up on the assumption that future releases will be available (I don't want you to be disappointed!).

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :D

P

Guest adwb1949
Don't despair, we'll get there. That USB Mass Storage Device. Does it go when you unplug the Vega? If so, for whatever reason you still don't have USB debugging turned on. Reboot your Vega. Go straight to Settings->Applications->Development. Don't turn on USB Storage. I don't know what's going on, so difficult remotely, but I do suspect you are turning on USB Storage. My apologies if I am sounding condescending.

Well I copied the down load file to a different computer connected the Vega, looked in device driver found it there as it is supposed to be went to the batch file hit go and it all worked!! for some odd reason my laptop refused to find the Vega as it is supposed to do, any way all solved many thanks for the attempts to sort my troubles out.

Guest zeeshan2002

hi

vega doesn't work after installing rom. screen freezes from boot 9/10 times. is this normal?

many thanks for your advice.

taa

Edited by zeeshan2002

Guest musoguy

Hi All,

I'm yet another newbie with a problem....

Thanks Paul for the R8 Custom ROM which I loaded just fine onto my first Vega a few months ago.

Unfortunately I cracked the screen and obtained another Vega a few weeks ago.

However this one refuses to load the Custom ROM from the same PC and even refuses to load after a complete reset and reload of the standard Vega ROM from recovery mode.

For some reason it just will not work with the ADB and the script stops running after the first couple of lines.

Before anyone asks USB Debugging is turned on and gives the usual USB connect beep.

I have then gone back to my original Vega and run the script just fine.

In a wild attempt to find a fix I also swapped the SD cards but stilll the new one fails to load the custom ROM.

I'm running Widows XP.

Any Ideas?

I really would like to load the ROM as it is so good!!

Many Thanks

Adrian

Edited by musoguy

Guest HypoTurtle
Hi All,

Thanks Paul for the R8 Custom ROM which I loaded just fine onto my first Vega a few months ago.

However this one refuses to load the Custom ROM from the same PC and even refuses to load after a complete reset and reload of the standard Vega ROM from recovery mode.

For some reason it just will not work with the ADB and the script stops running after the first couple of lines.

Before anyone asks USB Debugging is turned on and gives the usual USB connect beep.

In a wild attempt to find a fix I also swapped the SD cards but stilll the new one fails to load the custom ROM.

Any Ideas?

Many Thanks

Adrian

Is ADB definately working though, it may be a driver issue, as the new vega is essentially a different device to the one used previously you may just need to reinstall the right drivers, type "ADB devices" into a command prompt (from a file containing adb.exe) to make sure the device is properly connected.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest simonta
Hi All,

I'm running Widows XP.

Any Ideas?

Many Thanks

Adrian

It might be that your ADB drivers are no longer running correctly. The "beep" means little. With the Vega plugged in, do you see Android Phone->ADB Composite Interface in the device list? Search for YAUDIG for help reinstalling.