[ROM] CyanogenMod 6.1 [Beta2 - 05 Feb 11] & 7 [Beta3 - 11 Feb 11]

Guest Tom G

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
And what are the problems with the current 2.2 roms you have?

All the devs with froyo roms have been very receptive of ideas and bug reports.

I for one have no issues with JJ rom since i installed.

2.3 brings a lot of backend improvements and many things for game devs.

Also, think it's supposed to have better hardware accel abilities.

Exactly, it pretty much answers it.

We've got 2.2 nailed, now we move onto new frontiers.

Well, considering, such things that Cyanogenmod 7 brings along includes working Stagefright (finally), faster javascript and a million little improvements, coupled with the fact that Gingerbread is, well, Gingerbread. It seems that, if you were to go for a ROM, why waste time with an AOSP rom, and instead go with the much fixed CM, which, also IS an AOSP rom, with just some handy fixes.

I don't want to come across as an evangelist, but it just seems sensible. And it can be done, now we have RIL all fixed up.

EDIT: Also, sorry for the propensity of commas in the first paragraph. I'll leave them there to highlight my grammatical failure.

Fully working stagefright sounds good and better usage with javascript for the browser also sounds nice.

Hmm, I have not seen a million small problems...Also the features Gingerbread brings isn't it mostly for High end devices?

And what are the problems with the current 2.2 roms you have?

All the devs with froyo roms have been very receptive of ideas and bug reports.

I for one have no issues with JJ rom since i installed.

2.3 brings a lot of backend improvements and many things for game devs.

Also, think it's supposed to have better hardware accel abilities.

The problems most have with 2.2, isn't because its 2.2 its because there is little support and "fixed", 2.3 doesn't seem to give lots of fixes for our devices, because if it really was "fixing" 2.2 problems it would been already out for a long time ago. As we know 2.1 for the ZTE Blade normally were sluggish. About the improvements for game developers isn't it meant for those with better devices e.g, high end devices with stronger cpu:s and better gpu?

Edited by Cirno

Guest fonix232
Fully working stagefright sounds good and better usage with javascript for the browser also sounds nice.

Hmm, I have not seen a million small problems...Also the features Gingerbread brings isn't it mostly for High end devices?

The problems most have with 2.2, isn't because its 2.2 its because there is little support and "fixed", 2.3 doesn't seem to give lots of fixes for our devices, because if it really was "fixing" 2.2 problems it would been already out for a long time ago. As we know 2.1 for the ZTE Blade normally were sluggish. About the improvements for game developers isn't it meant for those with better devices e.g, high end devices with stronger cpu:s and better gpu?

What? Native sound and hardware access? nope :P

BTW, CM7 (Ginger) adds a lot more features to CM6 than the Ginger updates: the fixes for Stagefright, the theming engine by T-Mobile, Pacman package manager, and such.

Ok, not a million small problems, but, enough tweaks to generally improve the experience. Additionally, the Gingerbread fixes may be destined for Nexus S class devices, but considering it does stuff like pause issues emmenating from the way Android tells the phone to do things, thus speeding up performance ( I can't remember exactly). But the benefit there is it could potentially filter down to ALL apps/games, and as we know, the blade is a fairly decent gaming device etc.

Moreover, the point really is if it can be done, why not? If you want to stay on 2.2, you can, it's one of the benefits of a free, open community.

Finally, I don't totally understand "the problems most have with 2.2, isn't because its 2.2 its because there is little support and "fixed" ".

Is that just saying, we've got 2.2 ROMs, but we're only bringing them up to the level of the 2.1 ROM, or am I dreadfully confused?

Ok, not a million small problems, but, enough tweaks to generally improve the experience. Additionally, the Gingerbread fixes may be destined for Nexus S class devices, but considering it does stuff like pause issues emmenating from the way Android tells the phone to do things, thus speeding up performance ( I can't remember exactly). But the benefit there is it could potentially filter down to ALL apps/games, and as we know, the blade is a fairly decent gaming device etc.

Moreover, the point really is if it can be done, why not? If you want to stay on 2.2, you can, it's one of the benefits of a free, open community.

Finally, I don't totally understand "the problems most have with 2.2, isn't because its 2.2 its because there is little support and "fixed" ".

Is that just saying, we've got 2.2 ROMs, but we're only bringing them up to the level of the 2.1 ROM, or am I dreadfully confused?

Ah no I just wrote my sentence wrong, what I meant was that due to we not having a "well adopted" 2.2 rom, why would we focus on something else that doesn't work at the moment. I mean the standard rom I got on my ZTE Blade(2.1), had lots of bugs that I couldn't live with, thankfully China, and Japan seemed to get 2.2 Roms thus giving the whole zte community access to 2.2 rom. If ZTE gave out a 2.3 then it would be a huge boost on progress to fix up 2.3, but as I stated. Can't we get a 100% daily stable 2.2+?

Before trying to put effort on a "working" 2.3?

Guest fonix232
Ah no I just wrote my sentence wrong, what I meant was that due to we not having a "well adopted" 2.2 rom, why would we focus on something else that doesn't work at the moment. I mean the standard rom I got on my ZTE Blade(2.1), had lots of bugs that I couldn't live with, thankfully China, and Japan seemed to get 2.2 Roms thus giving the whole zte community access to 2.2 rom. If ZTE gave out a 2.3 then it would be a huge boost on progress to fix up 2.3, but as I stated. Can't we get a 100% daily stable 2.2+?

CM7 has more support now than CM6, so if we really want our device officially supported, we need to work on 2.3 first.

Guest hecatae
Hey all, I know some of you may be a bit worried to go through the zip and fix stuff yourself so I thought i'd upload a fix rom, however my linux isn't being too nice to me lately so I couldn't fix the mp3 problem, however I did fix the button problem, I know it's not much, but hopefully will help some of those who don't want to muddle around with files they don't know.

BladeCyanogen6.1R2.1

Before installing Cyanogen, make sure you have the Latest Clockwork otherwise you will run into problems.

Once you know you have the latest clockwork then simply install Cyanogen then if you want gapps Click Here to download them then simply flash them on with clockwork.

Hope it helps a few people, sorry it's not much.

whats the md5sum for the above?

I know what you mean, but A). ZTE will never produce a 2.3 ROM, and :P. In my experience, my 2.2 ROM is as stable as I hope it to be. I had 10 days uptime the other week, and only halted to install the SMS update. I'd call that stable.

CM7 has more support now than CM6, so if we really want our device officially supported, we need to work on 2.3 first.

I think he means official ROMs coming out of ZTE, but yes, CM7 is the way forward.

Well CM7 has more support because 2.3 AOSP is out, but what I am pointing out that CM6, would be nice to have for everyday use or so. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying people shouldn't work on 2.3, but why not make a great piece of work out of 2.2 to let people being able to use it while 2.3 get fully worked on?

Seeing my point?

I know what you mean, but A). ZTE will never produce a 2.3 ROM, and :P. In my experience, my 2.2 ROM is as stable as I hope it to be. I had 10 days uptime the other week, and only halted to install the SMS update. I'd call that stable.

I think he means official ROMs coming out of ZTE, but yes, CM7 is the way forward.

You must be lucky then, all 2.2 roms here drains my battery life like no end and I few times get random reboots :D

Sorry for double post :S

Edited by Cirno

About the (edit: Gingerbread) improvements for game developers isn't it meant for those with better devices e.g, high end devices with stronger cpu:s and better gpu?

See for example this game developer's blog posting. Only one of the points there is related to hardware. Even the concurrent garbage collection alone will make a huge difference for many applications and is totally unrelated to CPU/GPU power.

See for example this game developer's blog posting. Only one of the points there is related to hardware. Even the concurrent garbage collection alone will make a huge difference for many applications and is totally unrelated to CPU/GPU power.

Only 30% of the updates from 2.2 to 2.3 will we benefit from if you read correctly you will see the things we get and the things we won't be able to experience.

Well CM7 has more support because 2.3 AOSP is out, but what I am pointing out that CM6, would be nice to have for everyday use or so. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying people shouldn't work on 2.3, but why not make a great piece of work out of 2.2 to let people being able to use it while 2.3 get fully worked on?

Seeing my point?

I do, indeed. And also why that is actually technically already happening. This CM6.1 is almost ready, and ready to go onto the tweaking stage. Then whoever wants to can start looking at CM7 proper.

You must be lucky then, all 2.2 roms here drains my battery life like no end and I few times get random reboots :P

And bad luck, that seems to be a problem with the Blade- no two are the same, really. What may work perfectly on mine (and I've been very lucky, it seems) doesn't always give everyone else the same experience. I, for example, have never had the lockscreen freeze.

Ah good, a bit of clarification. So yes, Gingerbread should just improve some things (even if it's the 30% like Cirno says). However, it also fixes the high CPU input error, which is VERY helpful. Should solve much battery life woes.

Guest blade2011
Only 30% of the updates from 2.2 to 2.3 will we benefit from if you read correctly you will see the things we get and the things we won't be able to experience.

and finally... 2.3 > 2.2 ...for lots of people (including myselfs) that is reason enough to upgrade.

Keep on the great work, it's awesome!

Guest IronDoc

By the sounds of it, CM6 is easier for Tom to get working to a standard usable as a day-to-day ROM. I think we should just be grateful for the work he's doing.

Wrt 2.2, I wouldn't say we had it fully 'fixed'. As more and more bugs were ironed out, we started to look at the less important ones, but there were still a lot of (small) bugs.

Guest macrules
That's great. How hard was it to fix RIL? Is it something that can be applied to MIUI (i don't like it but others do) and other roms? Will you be actively updating these or are you merely sharing workign RIL versions for other devs to take advantage of?

Thanks for this Tom G!

That is exactly my question :P.

I love MIUI the best.

I know it is based on CM6, so this work will definitely make it possible for someone to port MIUI.

Also like CM6 by the way, especially the lockscreen feautures.

Thanks a lot Tom G, you rock!

Guest steviem

I found another bug just now:

When you go into a call and place the handset to your ear, the proximity sensor shuts off the screen. When the call ends and you take it away from your ear, the proximity sensor doesn't turn the screen back on. No buttons wake the screen up either.

Guest philmein

When you go into a call and place the handset to your ear, the proximity sensor shuts off the screen. When the call ends and you take it away from your ear, the proximity sensor doesn't turn the screen back on. No buttons wake the screen up either.

+1

Guest fonix232

As it was told, the proximity sensor isn't calibrated properly, so it won't function as you would need it.