Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (natty) on Vega (update 13/4)

Guest hybr1d

Guest kaostheory

I'm having a drama where I have flashed the boot.img for android and now the device won't boot. Is there an easy way to flash the boot image again without access to the "OS"?

Guest grauone

I finally got. I'm writing this from my vega with ubuntu. :D :D

thanks.

I finally got by doing the following:

cd /home/ubuntu/

sudo -s

./start_wifi.sh

wpa_passphrase ESSID PASS >> mywireless.conf (replacing ESSID with your wireless name and PASS with your WPA password)

wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c mywireless.conf

And installing wicd using synaptic.

Edited by grauone

Guest Zebrahead
Thanks Zeb.

I will try apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-mtev or evtouch.

Do you use an xorg file, or just use default?

Cheers!

I used a xorg.conf similar to the one provided in the root image here. I just changed the driver to my own.

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have tried to install wicd but some dependencies I can not install it. I have also tried to configure the network manually but I can not work.

Do you just installed ubuntu as is in the first post? I say that if the same files and the same device, we should work them all the same, no?

Someone who will work correctly, could upload their files to the network, please. I've since Monday without success.

I build my own root filesystem (I'm running lucid).

I haven't tried wicd on this rootfs.

I'm having a drama where I have flashed the boot.img for android and now the device won't boot. Is there an easy way to flash the boot image again without access to the "OS"?

nvflash is your best friend :D

There's only 100s of guides everywhere (not to mention the first post :D)

If you do :

./nvlfash -w --bl <path to your bootloader> --download 7 <path to your android boot image>

Your android boot image will be restored.

This needs to be executed with your VEGA in APX mode ofc.

Zeb

Guest kaostheory

Cheers zeb,

Absolute laziness on my part i'm afraid. I was using Nvflash it was the boot.img that was corrupt and i completely over-thought the problem. :D

If you don't mind me asking how did you go about building your own rootfs? on the device or in a vm?

Guest Zebrahead
Cheers zeb,

Absolute laziness on my part i'm afraid. I was using Nvflash it was the boot.img that was corrupt and i completely over-thought the problem. :D

If you don't mind me asking how did you go about building your own rootfs? on the device or in a vm?

A tool called rootstock, it's in the default ubuntu repos.

It builds an image in QEMU.

Zeb

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Zebrahead
i still got no wifi or thing at the top trying everything nothing working :)

At the top? Do you mean in a gnomepanel?

Haven't used this rootfs in a long time and I no longer have the device, but I don't remember network manager working. What you're seeing in the gnomepanel is the network manager applet.

You have to connect using a terminal or (I know it works on my rootfs, not sure about this one) an alternative network manager - such as wicd

Zeb

Guest owenoliver1
At the top? Do you mean in a gnomepanel?

Haven't used this rootfs in a long time and I no longer have the device, but I don't remember network manager working. What you're seeing in the gnomepanel is the network manager applet.

You have to connect using a terminal or (I know it works on my rootfs, not sure about this one) an alternative network manager - such as wicd

Zeb

so could be as easy as download a .deb and set it up :) hope it goes well

Guest owenoliver1
so could be as easy as download a .deb and set it up :) hope it goes well

oh damn wait how can i download i file to it without being online and how can i get stuff onto it does the usb port work as a host and can you right click?

Guest owenoliver1
oh damn wait how can i download i file to it without being online and how can i get stuff onto it does the usb port work as a host and can you right click?

Failed to read or parse configuration /ect/wpa_supplicant.conf' .

Requesting dynamic IP address....

Then nothing damn im so close

ps. That file doesnt exist on my system is it just me?

Guest Zebrahead

E

Failed to read or parse configuration /ect/wpa_supplicant.conf' .

Requesting dynamic IP address....

Then nothing damn im so close

ps. That file doesnt exist on my system is it just me?

You need to create it based upon your connections. Google it. If I remember, the arch forums have a good post about it.

Zeb

Guest owenoliver1
E

You need to create it based upon your connections. Google it. If I remember, the arch forums have a good post about it.

Zeb

on the first post they have it so im trying to use a different boot.img and see what happens worth a try.... nope nothing same again this sucks

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggg

BTW THANKS

Edited by owenoliver1

Guest owenoliver1
You can get files to the tablet by plugging your micro sd card into a computer and mounting your ubuntu partition. This will give you full access to the filesystem allowing you to move files to and from the device

Zeb

you are a life saver :)

Guest owenoliver1

ok things i want to know to get this going anyone got wifi if so how?

screenshot is on main ubuntu how do you change becuase when you log out you have no keyboard

finally can usb host work or not?

Guest brucelee666

Firstly I have not tried this and am only reporting this, so if it does not work or is complete nonsense I apologise.

Found this youtube video

Link to instructions website for instructions

Yes this is for the galaxy tab 10.1 but he says its worked on phones so could/should also work on vega ?

I know it is not a full image install but a vnc viewer (so may not be what your after) but it would mean you would have ubuntu locally on the vega (which you could goto like any other app) and still have android.

Guest Zebrahead
Firstly I have not tried this and am only reporting this, so if it does not work or is complete nonsense I apologise.

Found this youtube video

Link to instructions website for instructions

Yes this is for the galaxy tab 10.1 but he says its worked on phones so could/should also work on vega ?

I know it is not a full image install but a vnc viewer (so may not be what your after) but it would mean you would have ubuntu locally on the vega (which you could goto like any other app) and still have android.

There's already a thread about running it in a VNC viewer ^^, search for it and you should find.

ok things i want to know to get this going anyone got wifi if so how?

screenshot is on main ubuntu how do you change becuase when you log out you have no keyboard

finally can usb host work or not?

You can get wifi via the ways I explained earlier. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wpa_supplicant+arch&l=1

What do you mean main ubuntu?

USB Host works. Slave does not (this is not an issue, expected behaviour).

Zeb

Guest agileguy

Hi all,

Firstly wonderful work here ... followed the instructions and I am "almost" there.

I can get through most of Linux boot steps but it fails on cpufreq test.

I am coming from a corvus5 rom and my CPU freq reports as 1400MHz.

Am I overclocked? I think it is this that is preventing Ubuntu booting on my Vega.

Any ideas good people?

Thanks in advance, :)

D

Guest Zebrahead
Hi all,

Firstly wonderful work here ... followed the instructions and I am "almost" there.

I can get through most of Linux boot steps but it fails on cpufreq test.

I am coming from a corvus5 rom and my CPU freq reports as 1400MHz.

Am I overclocked? I think it is this that is preventing Ubuntu booting on my Vega.

Any ideas good people?

Thanks in advance, :)

D

Overclocking android partition shouldn't affect your linux partition.

The overclocking would either be set in your android kernel (which would have been overwritten by this linux kernel), or set at runtime by setCPU etc (which isn't reached as you're not booting android).

As for the resolving the issue, do you have any output? An failure code?

If not, then first thing I'd check would be that you've built your boot image using the correct kernel.

Zeb

Guest agileguy
If not, then first thing I'd check would be that you've built your boot image using the correct kernel.

Zeb

Thanks Zeb!

Built boot image afresh and am now in Ubuntu ... big pile of w00t!!

I have no network manager applet (even after restarting network manager) and wired keyboard powers but does not work.

How can I configure WiFi from within terminal, please?

Anything special I have to do to get USB host mode?

Thanks in advance,

D

Guest Zebrahead
Thanks Zeb!

Built boot image afresh and am now in Ubuntu ... big pile of w00t!!

I have no network manager applet (even after restarting network manager) and wired keyboard powers but does not work.

How can I configure WiFi from within terminal, please?

Anything special I have to do to get USB host mode?

Thanks in advance,

D

Glad to hear it worked ^^.

As for wifi, there's plenty of posts in this thread about it. You'll be using wpa_supplicant and dhclient, if you can't find what you need here, google will have the answer.

If memory serves there may be a shell script in your home directory that may point you in the right direction? (Not too sure, haven't used this rootfs in a long time).

As for host, you're in it. You're booting ubuntu as if you would on a desktop - in host mode.

Zeb

Guest peregil

Ubuntu working here!

Performance coulbe better but I supposse the bottleneck is the ext3 fs intheSD.

It is pretty usable for me, but it will be better when optimized drivers were available.

Great work!

I have removed unity stuff and seems to be faster with plain gnome.

Guest peregil

Although florence is very nice I prefer onboard cause you can simulate the second button click with it. Epiphany runs fine and you get some flash content using gnash and lightspark.