ZTE V11: 10" 3.0 Honeycomb Tablet

Guest CRIS.F.7

Guest CRIS.F.7

I know, I know! This + the other new ZTE products are discussed in numerous topics all over this forum, BUT there a bit of a mess, different conversations going on about different devices in the one topic, resulting in no consistent thread to the topic. So........

This is for the larger, IMHO far more interesting of the two new ZTE tablets, the iPad killer (lol as basically every new tablet is claimed to be at some point), the V11.

Hands-On-at-MWC-2011-With-ZTE-s-V11-Tablet-2.jpg

Processor: 1.2 GHz, but doesn't say exactly what processor it is. :huh:

Screen: 10" TFT-LCD 1,280 x 800

RAM: 512 MB ( only real let down on the device IMO :P)

Internal Storage: 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB or 32 GB (I personally doubt there will be this many options, but this is what reports are saying. I think just 8 or 16)

Cameras : 1.3 Megapixel front facing, 5 Megapixel rear facing.

Also: 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, LTE FDD/HSPA/WCDMA network, 3.5mm audio jack, micro USB, dedicated Dock Connector, G-sensor.

Price: ?????????????

Hands-On-at-MWC-2011-With-ZTE-s-V11-Tablet-3.jpg

Hands-On-at-MWC-2011-With-ZTE-s-V11-Tablet-4.jpg

Guest CRIS.F.7
If this is sold in the UK and the price is good i will definitely get one of these.

Price is what it really comes down to with me as well. I just really hope ZTE dont go the way of HTC and start hauling up their prices as they gain success and move into the US market :huh:

Guest fonix232

Woah, that 6800mAh battery is IMPRESSIVE! But no NFC or BT3.0? :)

If the price is good (not so high as the Xoom) and has the good old ZTE "we-wont-lock-the-device" attitude when built, I'm definitely in :huh:

Guest Maringer

I'm of the view that a dual-core CPU will be a better option for tablets as I think more performance is required to drive the higher-resolution screen. Judging from the specs for the V11, this will just be a single-core CPU, (Snapdragon, I expect) because they would be shouting from the rooftops if it contained a dual-core CPU. I realise that the iPad only contains a single core Cortex-A8 and performs quite well, but consider that iOS can be more tightly integrated than Android as Apple have just a few devices to develop for as opposed to the plethora of Android tablets which will be produced. In any case, I'm thinking of the figures of the following review of the Xoom which uses Tegra 2, a dual-core Cortex-A9:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/motorol...ablet-arrives/6

It will be interesting to see the price of the new budget tablets such as the V11 - currently, the Advent Vega is available here in the UK for less than GBP 250 and this will beat the V11 for processing power as it contains the Tegra2 chip, a dual-core Cortex-A9. In other respects, it matches the V11 with the same amount of memory and screen size though the V11 has a higher-resolution screen. As the Tegra2 is the reference platform for Honeycomb, I expect it will be relatively easy to port to cheaper devices such as the Vega.

A lot depends on the quality of the screen, I suppose and that's one thing which has stopped me trying out the Vega (also waiting for Honeycomb to arrive). Even the expensive Xoom appears to have a pretty average screen in comparison to the iPad. I wonder if any Android devices will have the production volumes to enable use of a decent IPS screen as well?

Guest oh!dougal

Delightful that its still a phone ... though I'm not sure I'd want to take a 10" tablet everywhere with me, its excellent that you could simply pop in in your sim whenever.

I'm sure that the variable storage would just mean that ZTE could supply it with the retailer's choice of sdcard.

Is this the "Light 2" - or is that another different variation? (Wasn't Light 2 supposed to have a dual-core cpu?)

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest CRIS.F.7
Delightful that its still a phone ... though I'm not sure I'd want to take a 10" tablet everywhere with me, its excellent that you could simply pop in in your sim whenever.

I'm sure that the variable storage would just mean that ZTE could supply it with the retailer's choice of sdcard.

Is this the "Light 2" - or is that another different variation? (Wasn't Light 2 supposed to have a dual-core cpu?)

I personally have never seen the point in a tablet being anything less than 10". A 7" is just as non-portable as a 10", so since both will require two handed use and a bag to carry it why not take advantage of a much nicer, larger screen. Unless you want to start cramming a 6" tablet and a 3-4" phone in your pockets lol. :huh:

Guest isambard
I personally have never seen the point in a tablet being anything less than 10". A 7" is just as non-portable as a 10", so since both will require two handed use and a bag to carry it why not take advantage of a much nicer, larger screen. Unless you want to start cramming a 6" tablet and a 3-4" phone in your pockets lol. :huh:

i disagree. i have a PRS-505 reader and this fits in my coat pocket. as would a galaxy tab. a 10" tablet doesn't and is heavier.

what would be nice is a device which can change size from a phone to a tablet :)

Guest CRIS.F.7
i disagree. i have a PRS-505 reader and this fits in my coat pocket. as would a galaxy tab. a 10" tablet doesn't and is heavier.

what would be nice is a device which can change size from a phone to a tablet :huh:

Fair enough then, sorry wasn't really taking into account jacket and proper outerwear. I'm the sort of stubborn idiot that will go out in a jumper and t-shirt in a hailstorm :)

Guest aequalszero

True, it's all about the price. Plus, this year is likely to bring a barrage of Honeycomb tablets - and with the inevitable dual cores coming down the line, the best advice at the moment has got to be 'wait and see'?

Guest CRIS.F.7

Nah, the Orange Madrid has got a more random cocky ring to it :huh:.

I actually hope Orange don't get it, I have a feeling they would probably just abuse their new found ZTE loyalists, and yank the price up, knowing they have a us who are convinced of ZTE as a brand enough to want to buy more of their products. The San Fran, was a market test of relative unknown branded Android Handsets, who knew it would take off so well!

But hey, I am a pessimistic by nature I must admit........

• 9 months later...
Guest KonstaT

ZTE just released kernel source code for this:

http://support.zte.com.cn/support//news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1001562

Apparently it is branded as Vodafone Smart Tab 10. Any info on the availability or price point?

Specs are quite impressive. Honeycomb 3.2, dual-core 1,2ghz CPU (which is apparently Qualcomm MSM8260 with Adreno 220), 1280x800 screen, 16gb storage, front and rear cameras, etc.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Adreno 220? That's pretty much top-end right now :P

And yes, that battery life is redicuous!

About £150 and I might buy one (oooh you cheapskate)

Guest deksman2

VERY nice specs.

Now, depending on the price tag, it just might end up being a hot sell.

:-)

Put Honeycomb on it to get HW accelerated 2d UI and you're set.

:D

Guest yellowperil

Well the main issue is this, what out in the market place already and what there price is.

ZTE needs to have there product at a considerable price drop compared to Apple and Asus to name a few.

ZTE will fail along with every other tablet maker trying to sell there product at Apple prices.

They want to be aiming the product like there phones at the bottom end of the price range and clean up.

We have all been waiting for a tablet that reasonably priced could this be it.

Guest unrandomsam

Just need gps...

It has gps?

sent from tapatalk :-)

It does have a GPS (I haven't seen anything Qualcomm with the phone part that doesn't have a GPS).

Question is where can I buy one.

Guest unrandomsam

Woah, that 6800mAh battery is IMPRESSIVE! But no NFC or BT3.0? :)

If the price is good (not so high as the Xoom) and has the good old ZTE "we-wont-lock-the-device" attitude when built, I'm definitely in :huh:

I think it would be massively inconvenient using NFC on something so big.

BT3.0 not really necessary if it has working wifi direct.