Bricked it by unlocking

Guest brightroar

Guest oh!dougal
... I tried to just power ahead and try putting ClockworkMod on it using this guide (http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-roms-rom-customisation/319565/oled-tft-30-nov-2-5-1-3-clockworkmod-recovery/). ...

That guide is obsolete.

As is Clockwork 2.5.1.3

Perhaps a kindly Mod might downgrade its prominence.

Just BTW brightroar, how are you checking the MD5's?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest StevenHarperUK
n went black, and now won't respond to any key pressed. the back button is still flashing red though.

Your battery is very low... You need to charge it.

Guest SqueakyG
The rom i was trying didn't work (a FroYo thingy). I've just tried MCR and it gave me the dude in the blue hoodie logo and then went black, and now won't respond to any key pressed. the back button is still flashing red though.

it's not saying NO SIM or anything similar, and never has done. it's just refused to get a signal.

Have done a wipe.

You have been quite vague about the problems you have been experiencing. Was the device really "bricked" when you couldn't get a phone signal, or was the device still fully operational except for the phone signal? Bricked means it has been turned into a useless piece of plastic that can't do anything.

I would have checked APN settings first... although that wouldn't explain the lack of basic phone signal.

I also wouldn't rule out a hardware fault beyond your control... although it would be weird if unlocking the phone triggered it. Could the SIM housing have been damaged when you changed SIM cards? Good idea to take out the battery, take out the SIM, doublecheck everything is physically fine.

Installing a new ROM is the best idea, because if the issue can be solved in software, then a new ROM is new software! I wouldn't have bothered meddling with fastboot stuff, that's too complicated and frustrating. Far easier to do everything directly on the phone with apps: Universal Androot and Recovery Manager. Make sure you're reading the newest guides here... most have dates in the titles.

It's hard to imagine a ROM failing to install through clockworkmod. Some things to make sure you're doing everything correctly:

- Use at least clockworkmod 2.5.1.8, or the newest 3.0.0.6.

- Check the MD5 sum for the clockworkmod img file and your chosen ROM zip file, to make sure they match the MD5's listed in the threads where you downloaded these files. This makes sure they are uncorrupted and exactly as they should be. You can see a file's MD5 on your computer with a small program (google for it), or from a file manager on the phone.

- Wipe data/cache/factory reset in clockworkmod when installing a new ROM.

- Remember that a newly-installed ROM will have a long first boot time -- usually around 5 minutes. This doesn't mean it has gone wrong.

- Install a new ROM with a full battery, or certainly when you know the battery isn't too low.

Don't know what else to say.

Edited by SqueakyG

Guest Dodge62
spoke too soon. have clockworkmod and that's fine, but installing a rom from here just doesn't work. have tried a few now, and they claim to be doing something, device reboots eventually and then nothing.

Did you "clear cache" and "clear data" in Clockwork before rebooting? The guides aren't entirely clear that you need to do that - if you don't then it just hangs at some point in the reboot. I thought I might have bricked mine for a while yesterday.

Guest ronc2000
No luck with the macbook.

Have you tried putting all the files in SD card and do it from there?

That was what I did, starting from root to finishing rom install without the phone being connected to a PC.

Guest twogubs
It's hard to imagine a ROM failing to install through clockworkmod. Some things to make sure you're doing everything correctly:

They can and they do particularly if signature verification is turned on and you are using an unsigned rom(for whatever reason)-however you will be told the installation has failed in clockwork.OP has not mentioned this.

I have had boot loops and black screens on the Blade with a few earlier roms(Modaco r4 and BladeVillain 1.0) when the rom was looking for an ext partition and for some reason it couldn`t find it/recognise it.

Guest BritishBob

If you have clockworck working go here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wt7nwyubj2i4cu6

Download it to your phone. Boot into clockwork by holding down on boot.

Clear cache.

Wipe data/factory reset.

Install Zip. Now find the zip file you just put on. Navigate by:

-Volume Up= Up

-Volume Down= Down

-Home/House thing= Select

-Back/Right hand button= Back

Wait for it to finish. Then Reboot system now. That should give you a working Custom Rom. That will proberbly sovle most of your issuse.

Could also be because you have a newer version of clockwork. i have herd problems with the later versions. Try going to v2.5.1.8

Guest oh!dougal

Just BTW brightroar, how are you checking the MD5's?

The lack of an answer to that could be the only explanation needed.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest aaujt74

Sometimes it can be something incredibly simple rather than the complicated problems people are thinking of. Did you try picking a network in the settings?

Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > GSM/UMTS Options > Network operators

Guest brightroar

Right, this is rambly and stupid but maybe it will explain it better:

Further to this, have got universal androot now through the magic of qr codes. But shortly after installing it... It's lost the wifi signal again.

This is me installing the rom

part 1:

part 2:

When using the ROM, after a bit the screen goes to black and will not wake up again, and the button presses make it vibrate but don't seem to do anything.

Incidentally, when the Three sim is in my Three handset (a SE w995 for anybody interested), it has full signal.

I have NOT put in the APN settings for Three, as the APN's and MMS settings don't affect whether I have basic phone signal or not. The Orange ones were in there already on the horrible Orange rom.

Edited by brightroar

Guest Lew247

video 2

I'm now putting the 3 sim card in ......

It shows the sim with the triangular bit of the sim facing up toward the power switch at the top of the phone

(it looks like it is anyway - hard to tell the phone moved too fast past the camera)

it should be the other way round!

Edit: not watched all of it yet - just got to the bit where you said "it now shows no sim card"

This confirms what i said above

Edit 2: "Vibrating randomly" Your Battery is DEAD! Charge it and don't turn it on for at least ten minutes after you plug the charger in

Edit 3: "just put my 3 sim in and it says no service" You still have the sim card round the wrong way - turn it round

Edit 4: your wifi works - your phone has no signal - TURN THE SIM ROUND SO THE TRIANGLE CORNER OF THE SIM FACES DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Well done on flashing the rim though - it works great, once you turn that sim I'm positive the phone will work perfectly

PS would have answered earlier if I'd seen it earlier.

btw if it does cure your problem as I'm sure it will, don't be embaressed most of us have done it at some stage, including me.

BTW IF I'm wrong and your sim IS facing the right way put a bit of card over it between the sim and the back of the phone so when you put the cover on it presses the sim in harder.

Guest Qwertzycoatl

Looks like you are using an Eclair version of a ROM...guessing MCR4 from the video..

If you go into the roms section you can download the later ROMS (Froyo) I would recommend FLB G2 R10

If you can do it then update your clockwork mod version to a later version (I use 3.0.0.6 without issue)

Flash that and see how your phone behaves :huh:

Also what is your usb cable connected to?

Computer or mains?

Edited by Qwertzycoatl

Guest Lew247

A different rom won't help with the sim not being recognised

Try putting card between the back of the sim and back cover of the phone so it presses on the contacts better

Out of curiousity have you a different phone to try the sim in to make certain the sim is ok?

and have you a different sim to try in the San Francisco

Or with the back cover off, press HARD on the sim and turn the phone on, you'll need a fingernail or something to press that little switch

Keep it pressed hard till after the phone has booted up properly and see if you have signal

Guest brightroar
Also what is your usb cable connected to?

Computer or mains?

In the video(s), it's connected to the mains.

A different rom won't help with the sim not being recognised

Try putting card between the back of the sim and back cover of the phone so it presses on the contacts better

Out of curiousity have you a different phone to try the sim in to make certain the sim is ok?

and have you a different sim to try in the San Francisco

Or with the back cover off, press HARD on the sim and turn the phone on, you'll need a fingernail or something to press that little switch

Keep it pressed hard till after the phone has booted up properly and see if you have signal

(ty for the pm btw...)

As I've already been over, I've tried 2 sims in the SanFran. One is the Orange one it came with, which worked perfectly initially and now does not, and a Three sim which has worked for a few seconds. I have tried some tape on the back of both sims to thicken it and touch the contacts better (mentioned in one of my early posts). Have tried the Orange and the Three sim in another phone and both work perfectly. I've already tried pressing on it while it boots, it was one of the first things I did (along with the tape) when I read that the contacts may not be connecting properly after an initial search for the problem.

I've only received the sim not recognised error message once, and that was while I was making the video. Every other time, it just says no service.

I don't know how I can make this any clearer :huh:

Edited by brightroar

Guest Lew247

The simplest and quickest way to fix it because it's obviously a hardware problem is flash back a stock orange rom

and then return it for a replacement, its almost certainly a faulty unit, although it worked at first it doesn't now and it isnt because you flashed the rom or unlocked it, that cannot break the phone signal

They'll have no problem replacing it just put the orange sim in and show them no signal

I'm convinced it's nothing you did - it's a phone problem just pure bad luck it worked for a short while when you got it first then stopped

Guest brightroar
The simplest and quickest way to fix it because it's obviously a hardware problem is flash back a stock orange rom

and then return it for a replacement, its almost certainly a faulty unit, although it worked at first it doesn't now and it isnt because you flashed the rom or unlocked it, that cannot break the phone signal

They'll have no problem replacing it just put the orange sim in and show them no signal

I'm convinced it's nothing you did - it's a phone problem.

I'm pretty convinced too, the only person I had trouble convincing was the guy in the shop because it worked perfectly while in the shop and I couldn't replicate the fault for him, and he's the one I need to convince :huh:

Guest curl66

just get your hands on a different SIMcard. not 3.

i have a 3 sim from austria to use it in italy and denmark & sweden. the 3 network is sometimes picky. also there is no GSM network (dont know how it is in UK) only UMTS. check if the 2G/3G settings is OK. and if other networks are showed with "select network manually"

thats why you should check with a different simcard.

the easiest way is to flash 2.2 is the image of JJ9. extract the image to the SDCard and boot up the phone up with pressed volume up.

after this you have a working froyo. i am sure. :huh:

Guest Lew247

Just put the stock orange rom back on it, put the orange sim in it and lets home it doesn't work

If it does then just tell him it keeps losing signal - therefore it's no use to you whatsoever and it doesn't (can't) do what it was sold for

Phone the Orange care line BEFORE you go to the shop

07973 100 150 or 150 from an Orange phone

Explain the problem to them, that you keep losing the signal and you cannot make a call

Ask them to put a fault code on the account once they say it needs replacing (if they don't say this insist on it)

Once the code is on the computer simply walk into the Orange shop tell them your phone is faulty and you have a fault code logged on it and they will replace it for you

Guest brightroar
just get your hands on a different SIMcard. not 3.

i have a 3 sim from austria to use it in italy and denmark & sweden. the 3 network is sometimes picky. also there is no GSM network (dont know how it is in UK) only UMTS. check if the 2G/3G settings is OK. and if other networks are showed with "select network manually"

thats why you should check with a different simcard

Both Orange and Three sims give "network busy, try later" error when I try and manually select a network. Don't have a third to check, but these sims are fine.

Just put the stock orange rom back on it, put the orange sim in it and lets home it doesn't work

If it does then just tell him it keeps losing signal - therefore it's no use to you whatsoever and it doesn't (can't) do what it was sold for

Phone the Orange care line BEFORE you go to the shop

07973 100 150 or 150 from an Orange phone

Explain the problem to them, that you keep losing the signal and you cannot make a call

Ask them to put a fault code on the account once they say it needs replacing (if they don't say this insist on it)

Once the code is on the computer simply walk into the Orange shop tell them your phone is faulty and you have a fault code logged on it and they will replace it for you

You're a genius. Any idea how difficult it'll be to talk them into putting a fault code on it? Don't like pressuring call centre staff overly... Used to work for o2 PAYG cust services :huh:

Guest Lew247

Won't be a problem at all provided you convince them it keeps losing signal

Just tell them sometimes it has a signal and then it doesn't, it's intermittent and you can't make a call

Even tell them mostly it has no signal if you want - just convince him/her you cant use the phone to make or recieve a call and the person in the shop won't replace it until you've rang customer care and they say it needs to be replaced and put that on the computer.

I only know this because i had to do it once, the guy in the shop was a right **** and I had to drive home to make the call and then drive back to the shop and as the fault was registered on the computer he swapped it immediately.

Don't let this put you off flashing and unlocking - you were just unlucky this time, you did everything right.

Edit: It's Worth trying the info on the post above this first.

Guest brightroar
I have not read this thread fully but i think i know what the problem is.

It is because the phone is not activated properly.

have a look here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...d-down-back-up/

I bought it from the shop and have the activation confirmed in the paperwork, the lady who sold it to me said she'd done it, and I get this message when I try and follow the instructions above:

orangeel.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really don't think this is the problem, especially as the Orange sim was working and sending/receiving texts/calls for a couple of hours before it started doing this.