[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest frenchdroid

I've always been a good boy and done a full wipe before flashing new nightlies but I've been reading on this thread recently that some naughty flashers have installed nightlies without doing a full wipe.

My question is: do you reckon I can get away without full wipe before putting on N74 (from something like N68) ?? If yes, is it just a cache and dalvik cache that I wipe ? Battery stats ?

Thanks in advance

Guest Fou-lu
I've always been a good boy and done a full wipe before flashing new nightlies but I've been reading on this thread recently that some naughty flashers have installed nightlies without doing a full wipe.

My question is: do you reckon I can get away without full wipe before putting on N74 (from something like N68) ?? If yes, is it just a cache and dalvik cache that I wipe ? Battery stats ?

Thanks in advance

i think it's ok to just wipe cache and dalvik for N68-N74, i did that for N67-N72-fixed with no problems.

Guest _amano

I' d wipe the Dalvik cache every time. The battery stats never. And system data/cache only when there are more intrusive changes (eg. when one nightly updated from Android 2.3.3 to 2.3.4).

But remember: If you don't fully wipe, you cannot be safe from perpetuating bugs from former releases. "No wipe, no whine".

@Grain:

I think the libaudio drain bug is not completely fixed yet. As a workaround, press Vol+ once after calls. Otherwise it seems the handset loudspeaker stays on.

Is that reproducable and reported on the Tracker?

Edited by _amano

Guest Roku
I don't understand. You tried to reboot after a reboot? Or did you actually see a *shutdown*? If the phone just shuts down randomly that's probably the "emergency shutdown triggered by wrong battery temperature readings" bug - which is unrelated to GPS.

Sorry my english. I tried Maps and switched to GPS test and see reboot/shutdown. When asked pin code touchscreen was unresponsive. Buttons worked ok.

After about one minute+ touchscreen worked again and I could unlock the phone. GPS was on but no GPS icon in Maps or any other GPS needy sofware.

Tried to GPS off->on->off->on and no icon. After manual reboot GPS icon was back.

Guest Fou-lu
I' d wipe the Dalvik cache every time. The battery stats never. And system data/cache only when there are more intrusive changes (eg. when one nightly updated from Android 2.3.3 to 2.3.4).

But remember: If you don't fully wipe, you cannot be safe from perpetuating bugs from former releases. "No wipe, no whine".

format boot and system also helps, formating boot increased the bootup quite drastically for me.

Guest frenchdroid
format boot and system also helps, formating boot increased the bootup quite drastically for me.

Thanks for the replies Fou-lu and Amano.

Damn - I didn't think I was a newbie anymore - what the hell does "format boot and system" mean ? :unsure: How do I do that ?

Guest Grain

How would that be? The normal Cyanogen .zips already format /system and overwrite the boot partition completely on install. There's nothing to be gained from formatting system and boot manually apart from reduced flash life :unsure: .

Guest Fou-lu
How would that be? The normal Cyanogen .zips already format /system and overwrite the boot partition completely on install. There's nothing to be gained from formatting system and boot manually apart from reduced flash life :unsure: .

placebo affect maybe, Green man went to cyanogen bootanimation faster than before i tried format boot, usually it would take ages :)

won't manualy do that again if it's reducing flash life, thanks for the info.

Guest sej7278

That was with airplane mode at night, right? Barely something that's valid for others. With very light use you can get about four days typically.

haha another non-believer pwned!

Guest targetbsp
That was with airplane mode at night, right? Barely something that's valid for others. With very light use you can get about four days typically.

You can get 8 days with light use. I get 3 to 4 with moderate (by my standards) use. BUT that's without calling often - mostly texts, net and apps. As we've discovered over the past few days, voice calls are the difference between those with great battery life and those not. I'm down 20% in 10 hours after taking a quick, 1 minute, call this morning immediately after the charge.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
placebo affect maybe, Green man went to cyanogen bootanimation faster than before i tried format boot, usually it would take ages :unsure:

won't manualy do that again if it's reducing flash life, thanks for the info.

The Cyanogen install does wipe system, but has a special part of the install script that copies over GApps to the new install. The only way to stop this happening is wiping system. Hence meaing whipe system does have a reason.

This may not apply directly to the quoted post, but to that conversation in general.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4

No, airplane mode OFF, alarm set, still didn't lose more than 1 or 2% per night,

just as it does during the day when just siting there idle.

Guest ladiko

Hello,

i have nightly 74 and Terminal Emulator 1.0.21 OOTB installed. Here you can find version 1.0.27, but if i install it, i have both versions next to each other. they are different apps with different ids?

Guest Len Ash
Settings-->About Phone-->Build Number

Wrong!

About Phone > Mod Version ... gives you the date of the N build

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash
Only says:

Mod-version: CyanogenMod-7.0.3-Blade

Version: GRI40

Kernel-version: 2.6.32.9-perf

Kinell

MOD Version

My KB is up the wall

Guest Len Ash
Sorry dude, but what do you mean? :unsure:

The date in Mod version in about phone can be used to cross refer to the Nightly build....

In noddy terms, the Mod version states this:

CyanogenMod-7-05142011-NIGHTLY-Blade

Can you see the date now???????????