[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Anil k Solanki

No specific Blade fixes/updates in this build.

Official CM N140

md5sum: 8f6df1e03fa9184eb0f803560562c56e

Hi lordofangels, I was wondering if you could explain something? You stated "No specific Blade fixes/updates in this build." But there is a Blade specific changelog here; Blade changelog and a Blade specific build.

Is the changelog for several devices and not just the Blade? I'm a bit confused.

TIA. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

The changelog is specific to the blade, but the changes might not be specific for it.

It can have changes to the general CM part that affect all devices or a change that only concerns this device rom.

When one says that there are not blade specific changes, it means that there aren't any changes specifically made to the blade, but there might be other changes in other packages that affect the blade build (and hence appear in the changelog) as well the other devices.

Guest lordofangels

Hi lordofangels, I was wondering if you could explain something? You stated "No specific Blade fixes/updates in this build." But there is a Blade specific changelog here; Blade changelog and a Blade specific build.

Is the changelog for several devices and not just the Blade? I'm a bit confused.

TIA. Anil.

That was included in build 139, not 140. And it was not for the Blade.

By a Blade specific fix, I mean a fix for the Blade no others. e.g Tom's Kernel update that is yet to be merged.

Edited by lordofangels

Guest ThermalDroid

TIA. Anil.

As this demonstrates:

cm_blade_full-138.zip (2011-07-21 12:28:00)

Check for NULL in addTracks() (android_frameworks_base)

Vold: sort volume list by mountpoint length on load. (android_system_vold)

Update Russian translation. Bluetooth network service (android_packages_apps_Settings)

res: arrays: Set translatable=false for values and referenced entries (android_packages_apps_CMParts)

PT-BR: Add missing translations (android_packages_apps_Camera)

PT-BR: Add missing translations (android_packages_apps_Settings)

Use a list of possible lun paths instead of a hardcoded one. (android_system_vold)

Lockscreen background extension (android_frameworks_base)

galaxys2: updated fingerprint/description (android_vendor_cyanogen)

webkit: Fix compile error with perl 5.14 (android_external_webkit)

ohmy.gifIt clearly shows fixes for the galaxys2 so yeah it shows updates for mutliple phones for some reason ohmy.gif

Edited by ThermalDroid

Guest lordofangels

The changelog is specific to the blade, but the changes might not be specific for it.

It can have changes to the general CM part that affect all devices or a change that only concerns this device rom.

When one says that there are not blade specific changes, it means that there aren't any changes specifically made to the blade, but there might be other changes in other packages that affect the blade build (and hence appear in the changelog) as well the other devices.

Thanks you put it better than I did..wink.gif

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks ups, lordofangels, Thermaldroid,

that clears up my confusion. So even though there may be no Blade specific fixes there may be general CM fixes. Cool.

Anil.

Guest JimJam707

This thread is getting a bit, eh, chunky.

New thread time perhaps? It's a bit hard to look for/search for answers to problems.

Guest targetbsp

Yeah. I tend to think of the Blade changelog as being all changes that aren't specific to another device rather than are specific to the Blade. Except for the one LordofAngels highlighted - I'm in denial about that.

New thread time perhaps? It's a bit hard to look for/search for answers to problems.

Yes! :D

Edited by targetbsp

The change that LordofAngels highlighted is simple to explain. It was a fix made for a specific device, but was made in a general branch that affects all devices.

Guest Anil k Solanki

It is chunky, but if we start a new thread won't it seem as if we are falling behind GSF? The GSF thread is at 2,832 replies, if we try hard we can make 7000 replies by the end of the month! :)

LMAO.

Anil.

PS. Gotta love the swiss tourist!

Guest Laccnow

It is chunky, but if we start a new thread won't it seem as if we are falling behind GSF? The GSF thread is at 2,832 replies, if we try hard we can make 7000 replies by the end of the month! :)

LMAO.

Anil.

PS. Gotta love the swiss tourist!

Quality over quantity.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Quality over quantity.

Quality & quantity is my motto.

As a thought for newcomers, will starting a new thread make it a bit more difficult to get answers to questions already answered? Or is the consensus most noobs don't search anyway and just post the question? If that's the case then by all means start a new thread.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest ColdEmbrace

I'm still running N88 and it is perfectly stable for my needs, i do not require FM radio, is there any reason I should upgrade to the latest nightly?

Guest Anil k Solanki

I'm still running N88 and it is perfectly stable for my needs, i do not require FM radio, is there any reason I should upgrade to the latest nightly?

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it. But seriously, only you know your needs so only you can really answer that question. Or at least list some needs not met by N88 and folks here can answer whether or not the newer nightlies will answer those needs.

Anil.

Guest ColdEmbrace

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it. But seriously, only you know your needs so only you can really answer that question. Or at least list some needs not met by N88 and folks here can answer whether or not the newer nightlies will answer those needs.

Anil.

More curious as to wether there is anything I am missing out on by not upgrading e.g a new kernel and stuff, I've not been following the thread so closely over the last month so just wondering if there was anything I miss, I tend to look after lordofangels posts about the new release and it mainly says no blade related fixes, guess there isn't much to bother with.

Guest targetbsp

There is a new kernel in... N126 I think? And it runs faster and cooler than the old one. Also GPS reboots are fixed but I don't use the GPS much and never had a problem with the old one.

Guest k0zmic

most noobs don't search anyway and just post the question? If that's the case then by all means start a new thread.

Anil.

That seems the case sometimes, but this thread is becoming increasingly difficult to find answers in.

The thing is, 1/3 of the questions seems to be along the lines of 'What nightly do I use'. Creating a new thread probably won't change that IMO.

Guest targetbsp

We could do with some sort of overview of major issues and fixes in the first post.

Like N126 and above have the new kernel with the pro's (listed above) and cons (no led notification and any others)

N115 to N126 has a battery drain issue related to fm radio which can be resolved by replacing libaudio from N114

Nx to Ny has a battery drain issue related to making calls which can be resolved by using some libaudio

accelerometer was fixed in Nwhatever

charging reboots fixed in Nthingy

etc

So people know where they stand with any given nightly without posting.

If only they'd read it... :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Pelemane

We could do with some sort of overview of major issues and fixes in the first post.

Like N126 and above have the new kernel with the pro's (listed above) and cons (no led notification and any others)

N115 to N126 has a battery drain issue related to fm radio which can be resolved by replacing libaudio from N114

Nx to Ny has a battery drain issue related to making calls which can be resolved by using some libaudio

accelerometer was fixed in Nwhatever

charging reboots fixed in Nthingy

etc

So people know where they stand with any given nightly without posting.

If only they'd read it... :D

You mean like this?

http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/ZTE_Blade_CyanogenMod#Current_recommendation

Guest ThermalDroid

I know it would mean more moderation but it would be nice if people had genuine problems if they started a new thread instead of it getting lost in here huh.gif

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi Pelemane, that wiki is exactly where noobs should visit first, plus any questions about "which nightly should I use?" are answered in that wiki under,

Current recommendation

• 2011-07-09: N126+ optimizes kernel performance, fixes battery drain issues introduced in N105, optimizes exposure for 5mpx camera, brings built-in screenshot function (download, changelog, forum thread)

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest qwerty_29

I did that but it was not working, until i realized: maybe this is really Gingerbread specific, so I must be smarter then the Android!

Here is what I did:

I searched the web for the APN MMS configuration for my mobile company;

Created that specific APN and enabled it (put the green marker on it);

Erased the default Internet APN from the list (this way, the only configured APN is the MMS that I created);

Enabled data under Mobile Networks.

So, as it seems that Android only lets us receive MMS over data, this way What I think happens is that the Android thinks that it is using data to receive MMS, it actually isn't, because the APN for the data was erased.

Downside: YOU CAN'T USE DATA EVEN IF YOU WANT TO! lol!

Positive side: you don't spend money using data (Anil, you suggested some posts ago that I would never spend money because data usage would only be for MMS, but that would only be true if I disabled auto-sync, because otherwise when accessing data to receive MMS, the Blade would automatically sync mails, etc, making it a more-than-to-receive-MMS data access [hope it was not a confusing explanation])...

Thanks!!! ;)

UPDATE: actually after successful testing yesterday, today I spent money for no reason because the Blade accessed the mobile internet for no apparent reason. So my solution is a no-solution!!! But that intrigues me: how can the Blade access internet if there is no APN that can permit that data access? :/

This MMS issue is really annoying.

There are 2 APN, one for internet, and another for MMS. The App APN Portugal (and APN Droid) disable the internet connection by invalidating the Internet APN by adding a # to the APN.

This way, the internet is disabled (since the apn is invalid) but the MMS APN should be enabled and working as is not altered.

Note that this does not concerns the "Data Enabled" option that must be ON. I see in this and other threads the misuse and confusing of "enabling data" when they are refering to enabling or disabling the Internet APN!

Unfortunately, some roms like CyanogenMod, (although perusing the code seems that nothing has changed regarding ginger) test if there is MMS connectivity and fail.

https://github.com/C...ionService.java

private boolean isNetworkAvailable() {

return mConnMgr.getNetworkInfo(ConnectivityManager.TYPE_MOBILE_MMS).

isAvailable();

}
This will later trigger the
onNetworkUnavailable()

and show the lovely toast that says that the message can't be sent at that moment.

My guess (since I cant compile CM at the moment to do some more testing), is that this is returning false if the Internet APN is disabled/invalid even if the MMS APN isn't.

In some stock roms, since it is possible to send MMS with the internet APN disabled, and that CM code seems to match (at least this part, maybe Connection Manager is different) gingerbread one, I wonder if those roms are alterered in this regard.

PS: Is possible to turn on the Log for the TransactionService VERBOSE tags without recompiling the code?

PS2: Has anyone actually been able to sucessfuly use APN Portugal (or APN Droid) to disable the internet APN but still be able to send MMS?

No matter how hard I try, I can't get APN Portugal or APNdroid to work here...It seems I just can't send/receive MMS...

There are 2 APN, one for internet, and another for MMS. The App APN Portugal (and APN Droid) disable the internet connection by invalidating the Internet APN by adding a # to the APN.

This way, the internet is disabled (since the apn is invalid) but the MMS APN should be enabled and working as is not altered.

Note that this does not concerns the "Data Enabled" option that must be ON. I see in this and other threads the misuse and confusing of "enabling data" when they are refering to enabling or disabling the Internet APN!

Please clarify me in here: are you sying that if I use the APN app to configure MMS APN and at the same time "de-configure" (add the #) the DATA APN, and simultaneously ENABLE the "Data Enable" option that will make MMS's work without spending money on data?

Before, while on stock rom (2.1) I used APNdroid to configure my MMS APN, but had "Data Enabled" OFF and still had no problem receiving/sending MMS...

Confusing issue, hum?! :huh: It would be great if the devs (or someone who is expert in this matter) would solve this! For someone with expertise maybe it is not that difficult, as this was not a problem before... anyone?

Guest tsddave

This hasnt been helped by a fair amount of off topic talking recently, If I was an admin here I would of moved it to make it easier for ppl to read up.Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it :P

Guest Anil k Solanki

This hasnt been helped by a fair amount of off topic talking recently, If I was an admin here I would of moved it to make it easier for ppl to read up.Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it :P

Hi tsddave, the problem here, is that this thread is specifically for Cyanogen's Blade ROM, but there isn't an area for Cyanogen based questions and chat. So they all come to this thread, inevitable.

Anil.