[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Schwinni

Hi Chris, I maybe wrong here, but, my understanding was that the first partition on the SD card HAS to be Fat32, then the second partition can be Ext2/3/4, but it has to be the second partition.

I thought that

However that is the case if you have partitions, I have no idea what happens if you format the entire card as Ext. One thing is for sure, Windows will not see the Ext partition and therefore won't mount it. ANDROID is Linux, but most of the outside world is Windows, therefore Fat32. I'm a Mac user, so the file limit issue is something that isn't really part of my computer psyche.

I wouldn't care about not being able to mount it on Windows.

Sorry I'm not being much help, but I have to ask, what kind of single files do you have that are bigger than 2GB? Movie? 60 MEGA-PIXEL image? :)

No, I use Navit for navigation. It uses the OpenStreetMap data, which is converted to a large .bin file (see http://maps.navit-project.org/). I would like to have the map data for more or less whole Europe on my phone, but that is about 3.3 GB.

Guest androrphin

Excuse my confusion but isn't APPS2SD incorporated into Cyanogenmod by default ? I can certainly install to SD without having performed these additional steps ?

Thanks Simono, I installed 2SE last night and around 100 MB of apps were moved to my EXT partition. Which now means I have 200 MB free on the phone. I'm glad I formatted the SD card with the EXT partition when I was using Swedish Spring. Thanks for your help. Anil.

Guest hugobosslives

Excuse my confusion but isn't APPS2SD incorporated into Cyanogenmod by default ? I can certainly install to SD without having performed these additional steps ?

no only the native google (rubbish) way of putting apps on the sd is included. where it tries to create a new partition for every app and throughly fuks yours sdcard.

use a proper partition. much better.

Guest Ray-man

Hi Ray-ma, don't sweat it, once we were all noobs. I have only been using ANDROID for 4 months now.

My advice is based on the Cyanogen ROM, it is what I use, and what I would recommend to any Gen 2 handset owner. I'm assuming you have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed.

1. Make sure you have a backup of your SD card on your PC if you have any files you want to keep, music, pics etc. You will need an SD card to USB reader for this, £2 from eBay. A must have device!
  2. Get Nightly 148 from here.
  3. Get Google Apps from here it's the first link in the list.
  4. Put both the files on your SD card. At the root level, i.e. not in a folder on the SD card.
  5. Boot into Clockwork recovery.
  6. Factory reset the phone.
  7. Wipe the Dalvik cache, and the Cache partition for good measure.
  8. Flash Nightly 148.
  9. Then Flash Google Apps directly after flashing Nightly 148.
  10. Reboot your phone.
  11. Once rebooted, boot back into Clockwork Recovery, go to "mounts and storage" then go to "format /sdcard" and format your SD card.
  12. Reboot your phone
  13. Power down your home hub, wait 30 secs, then power on again.
Try connecting with USB now, your PC should see the SD card.

Your home hub connection should work too.

I am no expert, but that is what I would do, one semi-noob to a new noob. :)

Anil.

Thanks very much Anil, I've just picked up your response. Yes, I have Clockwork Recovery installed so I'll give it a go and report back when it's done.

Guest Martin_cz

Hi,

running on n142+ and experiencing problem - phone won't sleep. It's still awake. Looking into Battery usage and SpareParts it seems that no other apps is responsible but Android System. I did wipe all cache and data before installing n142+. Is there something I can do to fix it? Problem is not related to WiFi - I just rebooted 2 hours ago and according to battery usage - Android system is again the only process eating my battery. I can't find more logs so I can't determine what particular process is responsible for this. Maybe some of you guys can guide me...

Thanks in advance.

Guest Dakdak

I really hate being bound to the 2 GB file limit...

Is that like a 1 terra pixel image? To my knowledge you have to have some space even if its only 5mb thats FAT32 for the computer you're hooking it up to. You know you sometimes get weird files that are only 4kb or less that have no relevence. Can't remember if thats a mac only issue but might helpwink.gif

Guest Maleiro

Hi, i've been a bit disconnected from the forum since N126, so due to my laziness i'm asking for a advice on witch ROM should i update to.

Thanks in advance.

Guest sej7278

Hi, i've been a bit disconnected from the forum since N126, so due to my laziness i'm asking for a advice on witch ROM should i update to.

Thanks in advance.

the latest is fine these days - n149

Guest Ray-man

Hi Ray-ma, don't sweat it, once we were all noobs. I have only been using ANDROID for 4 months now.

My advice is based on the Cyanogen ROM, it is what I use, and what I would recommend to any Gen 2 handset owner. I'm assuming you have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed.

1. Make sure you have a backup of your SD card on your PC if you have any files you want to keep, music, pics etc. You will need an SD card to USB reader for this, £2 from eBay. A must have device!
  2. Get Nightly 148 from here.
  3. Get Google Apps from here it's the first link in the list.
  4. Put both the files on your SD card. At the root level, i.e. not in a folder on the SD card.
  5. Boot into Clockwork recovery.
  6. Factory reset the phone.
  7. Wipe the Dalvik cache, and the Cache partition for good measure.
  8. Flash Nightly 148.
  9. Then Flash Google Apps directly after flashing Nightly 148.
  10. Reboot your phone.
  11. Once rebooted, boot back into Clockwork Recovery, go to "mounts and storage" then go to "format /sdcard" and format your SD card.
  12. Reboot your phone
  13. Power down your home hub, wait 30 secs, then power on again.
Try connecting with USB now, your PC should see the SD card.

Your home hub connection should work too.

I am no expert, but that is what I would do, one semi-noob to a new noob. :)

Anil.

Hi Anil, I followed your guide (except for 'Wipe Dalvic Cashe' as I couldn't see it listed), but sadly the results are still the same. However, I also received responses on the GEN1 to GEN2 thread that explains the homehub logon problem, I have a BT Homehub 2 in the UK and aparantly there's a problem with a recent BT firmware update (something you're unlikely to be troubled by in Italy!), it's also been suggested that GSF works okay (Typical, I didn't try that as it was a Beta release but now I'm tempted to give it a try).

Nothing new on the USB to PC problem but I'm beginning to think that could be down to my PC so I'll try another, there may be nothing wrong with USB on any of the roms I've tried.

One point on the install process. During the N148 installation, Clockwork reported 'No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext.' - Is that relevent?

I'll report back if I get a resolution.

Guest targetbsp

I think he means the edit other levels section. There was a spreadsheet earlier in this thread with the numbers. I can't provide mine because I've customised it to my personal preferences and it's only got 3 settings which I'm sure most people won't want. :D

Hi Anil, I followed your guide (except for 'Wipe Dalvic Cashe' as I couldn't see it listed), but sadly the results are still the same. However, I also received responses on the GEN1 to GEN2 thread that explains the homehub logon problem, I have a BT Homehub 2 in the UK and aparantly there's a problem with a recent BT firmware update (something you're unlikely to be troubled by in Italy!), it's also been suggested that GSF works okay (Typical, I didn't try that as it was a Beta release but now I'm tempted to give it a try).

Nothing new on the USB to PC problem but I'm beginning to think that could be down to my PC so I'll try another, there may be nothing wrong with USB on any of the roms I've tried.

One point on the install process. During the N148 installation, Clockwork reported 'No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext.' - Is that relevent?

I found some more info from the guy that fixed that bt homehub problem in gsf ...

Just updated to B10, with a complete wipe. Looks good so far, one rather large show-stopper though; I can't seem to connect to my home Wifi network, which is secured with WPA. I can connect to an unsecured network fine, but with a WPA network it just hangs on 'Obtaining IP address...' which suggests an issue with DHCPCD. I had the same problem with Beta 9. Looking the issue up further I found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=907772

It can be fixed by downgrading DHCPCD or upgrading to version 5.x and making sure the config isn't too strict. I checked in the terminal emulator, the version that comes with this ROM is 4.0.15, which is the problematic build. Would it be possible to get a fix for this issue? I think I've seen it mentioned before in this thread, and it seems to fix other issues with connections being dropped, not sure how much of an issue that is on the Blade though.

I might have a go at finding a later DHCPCD copy and patching it myself later, but I'm no expert with Android, so we'll see :)

Good work on the ROM so far!

Edit: DHCPCD 5.x hasn't even reached the AOSP yet, not much hope in an upgrade. Perhaps a quick downgrade for now would be worthwhile?

:) Woo! I managed to fix my wifi issues. I grabbed the /system/bin/dhcpcd file from a stock Orange ROM (B20 I think) and overwrote the /system/bin/dhcpcd file in the ROM .zip, wiped, and installed the new zip, and now it works perfectly! It doesn't appear to cause any other issues at all.

@wbaw, do you think you could possibly include this older dhcpcd file in the next release of this ROM? (If there is another release anyway). The two files are virtually identical other than this older one being less strict about what router setups it likes, meaning less connection issues for some people. I'm sure there's another report of this happening in the thread, I don't think I'm the only one. Just an idea anyway, to make the ROM a bit more stable for some people

Edit: I've attached the older dhcpcd file in case anybody needs it and doesn't want to download a 100MB+ ROM just to get it. Just unzip it to get the program.

dhcpcd.zip

Edited by wbaw

Guest Ray-man

I found some more info from the guy that fixed that bt homehub problem in gsf ...

Thanks wbaw, I could give that a try but does that mean I can't do the MD5 checks, if so how can I be sure it hasn't got corrupted?

Guest Geree

First of all sorry for not reading the past 20+ pages, but can sombody please tell me if the following bug with FM radio is still exists or not:

When I choose in the FM radio setting the region and set it to Europe region (Austria) station searhing, seeking is not working at all just keep staying on 87.80 or so..

Otherwise when it is on Americas setting I can choose only frequencies XXX.Y mHz where Y is even...I think it is maybe the American standard, but its not the best for Europe...

Anybody else faced this problem as well?

Guest k0zmic

are you still seeing battery drain after you've turned wifi/3g off though? for me at least that seems to be caused by reader's wakelock (could be any app that syncs a lot of data i guess).

high battery usage with wifi on is a known issue with the new kernel - we've got to wait for the next RC/stable to report it although i think tom_g was looking into it, he knows about it for sure.

Nope, it seems okay with either of those turned off.

Ahh, I see. Thanks.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi Ray-man,

Sorry to hear you still have problems. The "Dalvik" cache can be found under advanced, in Clockwork recovery. Don't worry about the Ext partition not backing up, unless you created one Clockwork will just report none could be found and skip it.

As for your PC problem, good luck, I'm a Mac user so can't be of any help.

I did try Ginger Stir fry a few Beta's back, but now I'm back on Cyanogen, there are way too many useful features that I can't live without. Good luck with your installs, and, err, the BT Homehub. God Bless Telecom Italia, I get amazing speeds here.

Anil.

Guest BabyAndroid

I think he means the edit other levels section. There was a spreadsheet earlier in this thread with the numbers. I can't provide mine because I've customised it to my personal preferences and it's only got 3 settings which I'm sure most people won't want. :D

That's what i ment :-) Edited by BabyAndroid

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi, has anyone tried N149? I am running it now, and it seems the notification light is working again. Can anyone else confirm this please?

Regards, Anil.

Guest ididmytime

Hi, has anyone tried N149? I am running it now, and it seems the notification light is working again. Can anyone else confirm this please?

Regards, Anil.

Oh PLEASE let this be true!

Guest Anil k Solanki

Oh PLEASE let this be true!

Hi ididmytime, the notification light does blink, but it stops after a while, say 2 mins. For the life of me I can't remember if this is the normal behaviour.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest ididmytime

Hi ididmytime, the notification light does blink, but it stops after a while, say 2 mins. For the life of me I can't remember if this is the normal behaviour.

Anil.

This is normal, it's not incorporated yet.

I'm falling way behind with these builds, still on n111.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Wow! 7,000 post's in this one thread, amazing stuff. And the view count is creeping towards one million! And somebody in this forum posted a question asking "Is the Blade dead now?". Err, I don't think so.

Anil.