[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

I decided to try Blademix rom due to the heavy battery drain issues with cm7 since 220. Not only is the battery life much much better its also alot smoother and faster running using the same cpu settings! wtf!?

I hope they get cm7 back on track soon.

don't take this wrong way, but if lots of people say that, it might mean more. as it is you're not giving enough info (usage, what settings, some numbers) i haven't tried Blade Mix but i've found CM7 220+ better in battery use and performance than Froyo ROMs (JJ or SS). so this may be true for you but not everyone? or it may really be that Blade Mix has better battery life for most users, i don't know. quite important to find out since i would change to another ROM if that's the case. CM7 features are less important than battery life for me.

Guest Carbonize

I decided to try Blademix rom due to the heavy battery drain issues with cm7 since 220. Not only is the battery life much much better its also alot smoother and faster running using the same cpu settings! wtf!?

I hope they get cm7 back on track soon.

So you're surprised that a rom designed to work on a single chipset/phone works a lot better than one designed to work on many?

Guest I900-Nutzer

Sej, are you planning to release any newer Nightly+? 220+ is getting a bit old and I'd like to update (and try out new changes as well) :)

+1 :D

I tried the battery callibration tip as i was getting poor battery even with wifi off set to 15 seconds and hardly using phone its now discharging and has not lasted even 24 hours although it has some juice left yet after the last step of clearing battery stats. Now i know i must fully discharge it then charge it again and when i get the green light leave it another 30 mins ...should i notice better battery performance then under the same usage as today ? I take it it needs this full discharge and charge once to be noticably better or at least i hope so cos i have used it less and its lasted less than before so far :(

Does anyone remember when 2.3.7 was merged, N213? I just now remembered I had to freeze my older version of maps (once again) after the update because it was draining battery like hell (once again). Still haven't tested the latest version. Makes me wonder if all the battery problems people have happen also after a full wipe without any extra apps installed. I know it's frustrating when the battery starts draining without an obvious reason, but in the past I've cought a few apps draining the battery when updating/changing roms. The best thing you can do is to let the app dev know about your issue and hopefully he/she will release an update that fixes it. In most cases, it's the app not playing well with the rom, not the rom itself. And with the update to 2.3.7, there could be some changes that some apps just don't like.

I could be totally wrong here.. and there are exceptions ofc, I won't deny that.

Edited by sm4tik

Guest Chris Banks

Battery life is great, and has been for some time now for me.

Everyone complaining should check for problematic apps and wakelocks using an battery stats app and/or re-calibrate battery.

Spare parts of BetterBatteryStats both work great for me if I have an issue.

Edited by Chris Banks

what version of gapps is everybody using?

i was thinking: maybe those users with bad battery performance are using an outdated version of gapps? I, for example, was using gapps-gb-20110815-signed.zip and got pretty bad battery with cm7.1. (couldn't track down any specific reason for it, but as soon as 3g was turned on, the battery would drain noticably)

trying gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip with latest nightly now.

Guest tsddave

So you're surprised that a rom designed to work on a single chipset/phone works a lot better than one designed to work on many?

Did I say I was surprised? I was just reporting my findings. Also pre 220 cm7 was much much better on battery life.

Lets be honest your reply to my post was pointless!

Guest tsddave

don't take this wrong way, but if lots of people say that, it might mean more. as it is you're not giving enough info (usage, what settings, some numbers) i haven't tried Blade Mix but i've found CM7 220+ better in battery use and performance than Froyo ROMs (JJ or SS). so this may be true for you but not everyone? or it may really be that Blade Mix has better battery life for most users, i don't know. quite important to find out since i would change to another ROM if that's the case. CM7 features are less important than battery life for me.

Settings and numbers are pointless my usage hasnt has not changed nor have my apps or settings. Its all on par because I set up the phone with the same stuff because thats how I like it. Im not an overclocker and I dont use data. I do use gps and wifi though and make calls and sms and use some apps. Im not really into games because thats what my tablet and pc are for.

Ive never used JJ or SS but ive used CM7 for a long long time and try out other roms in between. Im at an "Inbetween" time right now!

I had a spell with GSF and rejoined CM7 in the N190s and things were very good it had caught up GSF for sure in all departments.Then since 220 things went bad again. Slower in general and using more battery. The final straw for me was the amount of battery GPS was eating. If battery life means alot to you then currently your on the wrong rom. Try GSF or Blademix and you will gulp in surprise!

what version of gapps is everybody using?

i was thinking: maybe those users with bad battery performance are using an outdated version of gapps? I, for example, was using gapps-gb-20110815-signed.zip and got pretty bad battery with cm7.1. (couldn't track down any specific reason for it, but as soon as 3g was turned on, the battery would drain noticably)

trying gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip with latest nightly now.

As I understand it gapps simply installs the Market and provides a one-off dialogue to download other apps. The Market gets updated pretty soon with the current version and if all other gapps are downloaded on demand there is very little, if anything, that remains from the gapps zip installation, no matter which version is used.

As I understand it gapps simply installs the Market and provides a one-off dialogue to download other apps. The Market gets updated pretty soon with the current version and if all other gapps are downloaded on demand there is very little, if anything, that remains from the gapps zip installation, no matter which version is used.

i see. maybe it's related to an outdated gmail-app then? the cyanogen-gapps was never able to download the gmail-app as it's somehow prohibited in my country (germany). so people from such countries are forced to get the gmail-app from somewhere else, which is quite a pain in the arse. i've tried using an app called "market enabler" but couldnt find anything that way either. so i ended up using some gmail-apk i found on the web hoping it's legit and up2date. (hints about how to properly get the gmail-app next time are greatly appreciated)

disclaimer: i hope it's ok use a separate post for this as it's an entirely different topic from the post before

to all people with broken wifi on cyanogenmod:

i believe i've found the reason why my wifi was completely broken. basically it just kept enabling/disabling itself and would not connect to any net anymore.

what's effectively breaking wifi on cm7 is to restore access point information with titanium backup. at least if you're restoring from a non-cyanogen system such as GSF - 'cause so did I.

if i may add: it's quite a pain in the ass that I will have to re-enter all my wifi-passwords because of my switching to cm7. i have no idea who's to blame for this bug (probably titanium backup) but if anybody knew a workaround for that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Guest jackal-sk

I've also noticed the battery to drain faster on 220+ sej. I had sej's KANG p7 (n179) before this and the battery was really noticeably better. In standby its hard to compare (cca. 2 vs 4% per night) - almost the same - but when using the phone in general (not games, but in games also) the battery drains faster. Working only in GUI drains it much faster than before for instance.

if i may add: it's quite a pain in the ass that I will have to re-enter all my wifi-passwords because of my switching to cm7. i have no idea who's to blame for this bug (probably titanium backup) but if anybody knew a workaround for that, it would be greatly appreciated.

I agree it is a pain in the arse, but it is something you have to put up with when switching ROMs. I would also love to know a workaround, but the only thing I have found to help is to do the backup with Titanium Backup on the old ROM with all your wifi settings and then navigate to /TitaniumBackup/com.keramidas.virtual.WIFI_AP_LIST-<some numbers>.tar.gz on your SD card open it and find /data/misc/wifi/wifi_supplicant.conf. Open this in a text editor to find all of your passwords and other wifi config data to help in reconfiguring the settings in the new ROM.

Guest Richard_Arkless

Bit of an update, ive left nightly 227 on it and its now been 24 hours and its only on ~50% and ive been using it like I normally would so just to clarify

215 = fine (3 days mild usage, 2 days under normal usage)

220+ = battery drains in around a day

227 = fine again

@Sej, could it be because of the LED as that the only major thing thats changed in 220+ hasnt it?

Edited by Richard_Arkless

another find in my battery-drain research:

one app that many people might have installed and that has very battery-unfriendly default settings is csipsimple. in my case it's a likely candidate for causing heavy drain.

Like I said, just for testing, I haven't installed any app neither gapps. Just instaled a rom, formating every partition and let it boot. Battery drains since android 2.3.7. with 2.3.5 everything is ok.

I'm talking about a problem included with 2.3.7, not with nightly 220+. But for me it's pretty serious, 1 day instead of 6 days of battery. The only thing that i see is that running time is 45% and pressing menu buttons turns on the screen (that means that the phone isn't sleeping).

Any of you withbattery problems, please do that test.... press 3 or 4 times the home hard-key and see if the phone wakes up because I don't see anyone telling that...

Guest jackal-sk

My phone sleeps ofc, I wouldn't write about battery drain with phone not sleeping. Your phone lasts 1 day when its not sleeping, what did you expect ? :)

Edited by jackal-sk

Guest sej7278

Bit of an update, ive left nightly 227 on it and its now been 24 hours and its only on ~50% and ive been using it like I normally would so just to clarify

215 = fine (3 days mild usage, 2 days under normal usage)

220+ = battery drains in around a day

227 = fine again

@Sej, could it be because of the LED as that the only major thing thats changed in 220+ hasnt it?

yes it could be that - well the whole kernel changed (smartass2 governor too) although i've been using test builds n224+, n227+ etc. with the same patches and with some wifi usage i've used about 10% in 2 days, standby over night uses no battery at all, so perhaps it was something specific in n220 (possibly even in the regular n220).

i did withdraw n220+ so people would stop using it and try 7.1 stable instead, but people mirrored it and so the confusion has continued. anyone complaining about 220+ should try a newer nightly so we can narrow down the problem, rather than rather unhelpfully comparing it to gsf.

if the new kernel would hurry up and get merged it would help (i did moan on gerrit).

edit: hang on are you saying that n227 is using 50% battery in a day? well that's still not normal so points at your battery being duff.

have you tried booting into clockworkmod for a day?

Edited by sej7278