[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest mELIANTE
You've already had one post of yours closed this week because you were both rude and near-racist.

So, are you goning to say in what CM7 is slower than any other rom? Except maybe scrolling?

Guest dadashi

I've tried the whole Fixed67...to... N80 range of Nightlies and they all have problems and bugs which were fixed or resolved previously...I can't imagine how some of the devs are working, do they chop up huge sections of working code? actually they do, eg. the sensors were not working at all a couple of nightlies ago....

I don't want to sound un-appreciative, but it makes me wonder....

The last really good rom was and still is the stabile 7.0.2...no speaker hiss, no battery drain, sensors all work, proxy sensor works, GPS works, no GPS reboots, battery life is normal, Wifi reconnects after sleep, etc...

Any future roms should use the stabile 7.0.2 as a reference (the stabile 7.0.3 had the GPS reboot bug and the proxy sensor problem)

Edited by dadashi

Guest KACE_231

With regards to the proximity sensor not working in calls: It works perfectly fine for me (n80), and certainly works when I move the phone away from the the ear more than once. I dont think it is even an issue, as I will explain:

+ The proximity and light sensor work independently despite using the same hardware, one cannot run whilst the other one is.

+ In calls the proximity is used as soon as you put it next to your ear, (I believe this) because the sensor detects a dramatic DROP in light levels and so switches to proximity.

+ When you move it away from your ear there is a dramatic INCREASE in light levels and with auto-brightness enabled this also leads to a change in screen brightness as the proximity is now disabled.

+ If you suddenly move your phone back to your ear, so the sensor detects the dramatic DROP in light levels, thus switches to proximity. Screen turns off as expected

For me I have been able to reproduce the problem you have mentioned by gradually bringing the phone back to the ear, since there is NO dramatic drop in light levels, proximity doesnt turn on and the screen doesnt turn off, the screen just DIMS as auto-brightness is supposed to do.

TEST I suggest:

Try moving the phone quickly towards and away from the ear when in call and see if the screen switches off as it is supposed to.

Guest CaptainSpectacular
I used Elixir to test my proximity sensor it used too register 5cm when away and 1cm when covering the sensor.

The sensor now reads far when away and 1cm when covering the sensor.

Could ths be the issue due to the new registering of the sensor

Same values with n70. :rolleyes:

With regards to the proximity sensor not working in calls: It works perfectly fine for me (n80), and certainly works when I move the phone away from the the ear more than once. I dont think it is even an issue, as I will explain:

+ The proximity and light sensor work independently despite using the same hardware, one cannot run whilst the other one is.

+ In calls the proximity is used as soon as you put it next to your ear, (I believe this) because the sensor detects a dramatic DROP in light levels and so switches to proximity.

+ When you move it away from your ear there is a dramatic INCREASE in light levels and with auto-brightness enabled this also leads to a change in screen brightness as the proximity is now disabled.

+ If you suddenly move your phone back to your ear, so the sensor detects the dramatic DROP in light levels, thus switches to proximity. Screen turns off as expected

For me I have been able to reproduce the problem you have mentioned by gradually bringing the phone back to the ear, since there is NO dramatic drop in light levels, proximity doesnt turn on and the screen doesnt turn off, the screen just DIMS as auto-brightness is supposed to do.

TEST I suggest:

Try moving the phone quickly towards and away from the ear when in call and see if the screen switches off as it is supposed to.

And so why the proximity sensor work on n70 (for example) with auto-brightness On ? I've made a lot of test. The proximity sensor simply stop working during a call in n73~n81. It's just work one time then I must move the phone (crouch position and stand up), it's act like "reboot" the sensor.

Even with auto-brightness Off, the screen don't turn Off at all, at least for me... With n70 (again for example) I make a call and cover the sensor with my finger, the screen "immediately" turn Off, if I remove my finger the screen "immediately" turn On, etc...

Another test, in n81, with Data Monitor:

-n70, during a call, I launch the Data Monitor app, when I cover or uncover the sensor with my finger, the value change from 5.0 to 1.0.

-n81, during a call, I launch the Data Monitor app, when I cover or uncover the sensor with my finger, the value stay on 5.0 ...

Even in a dark room without any light at all and with auto-brightness Off. :P

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest targetbsp
I've tried the whole Fixed67...to... N80 range of Nightlies and they all have problems and bugs which were fixed or resolved previously...I can't imagine how some of the devs are working, do they chop up huge sections of working code? actually they do, eg. the sensors were not working at all a couple of nightlies ago....

I don't want to sound un-appreciative, but it makes me wonder....

The last really good rom was and still is the stabile 7.0.2...no speaker hiss, no battery drain, sensors all work, proxy sensor works, GPS works, no GPS reboots, battery life is normal, Wifi reconnects after sleep, etc...

Any future roms should use the stabile 7.0.2 as a reference (the stabile 7.0.3 had the GPS reboot bug and the proxy sensor problem)

When you add functionality to a program you are writing, there will almost certainly be bugs. You get closer and closer to your goal but along the way you may add new issues that need fixed later. It doesn't mean the previous, perhaps more stable state, is better if the current state with new bugs is closer to your goal. You work towards a final state being perfectly stable - how it is along the way is less important. So any given change can almost be a 2 steps forward, one step backwards kind of thing. Users wouldn't normally see this. Unless they happen to be downloading incomplete, work in progress, nightly builds... :P

Developers are more than capable of judging if the path they've taken is a lost cause and needs reverted.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest vanson77

full ack

Guest sej7278

i've just done a re-tpt with the v5 scripts (urgh 2+ hours of re-entering settings and reloading apps) and installed n81 with the latest libaudio.so patch and proximity is working fine, no gps reboots, dialler doesn't seem to be causing speaker hiss or battery drain (so far) although sensor use is a bit high.

i have had a few force-closes on boot for some reason (rommanager premium, market, sense clock applet and launcherpro+) i've never had a force close before - lol i wonder if that is due to actually having free space in /system!

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp
*And I have to say, I've lost 0% battery so far 2 hours after a call since putting on the test libaudio from the previous page. Too early to call it a success yet I guess but promising!

6 hours of idle time after a call and still 0% battery drop. Looking good. :P

Guest trowls

Hi guys

Have tried N82 for a very short while now and here are my first impressions:

- As before GPS makes my blade restart.

- Proximity makes my screen go off only once during phone calls - tried the N81 yesterday and didn't have that problem.

- Don't think the auto brightness works either

Otherwise I haven't experienced other problems so far.

I only made a reset of the Dalvik cache hence didn’t do a full wipe.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

For those who haven't problems with proximity sensors, wich's your TPT Gen2 version ? v4, v5 ? Or you using CM7 Gen1 converter ?

Guest Comas
For those who haven't problems with proximity sensors, wich's your TPT Gen2 version ? v4, v5 ? Or you using CM7 Gen1 converter ?

Here v5

Guest dadashi

V5

I'm trying N82 and it's got all the issues, specialy proxy sensor and speaker hiss...

What was the solution to stop the speaker hiss after a call?

I've tried volume+ then volume- or the other way round but that doesn't work...only a reboot stops the hiss untill the next call...any ideas?

Edited by dadashi

Guest CaptainSpectacular
I'm trying N82 and it's got all the issues, specialy proxy sensor and speaker hiss...

What was the solution to stop the speaker hiss after a call?

I've tried volume+ then volume- or the other was round but that doesn't work...only a reboot stops the hiss untill the next call...any ideas?

Very strange that people have bugs that others don't have... :P

The speaker hiss is go away since n70 for me. The only bug I've with the news nightly is this famous proximity sensor. (my lasts posts talk only about it by the way :rolleyes: )

What's your install method ? Full wipe ? No wipe at all ?

Guest sej7278
6 hours of idle time after a call and still 0% battery drop. Looking good. :P

n81 and new libaudio.so patch (#55) and its been at least 12 hours with only 1% drain in standby after a call.

Guest targetbsp

16 hours after a call (7 hours 2g standby and 9 hours airplane) and the phone has only lost 2% battery!

The dialer sensor usage is still through the roof so that was obviously unrelated.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest KACE_231

TEST I suggest:

Same values with n70. :rolleyes:

And so why the proximity sensor work on n70 (for example) with auto-brightness On ? I've made a lot of test. The proximity sensor simply stop working during a call in n73~n81. It's just work one time then I must move the phone (crouch position and stand up), it's act like "reboot" the sensor.

Even with auto-brightness Off, the screen don't turn Off at all, at least for me... With n70 (again for example) I make a call and cover the sensor with my finger, the screen "immediately" turn Off, if I remove my finger the screen "immediately" turn On, etc...

Another test, in n81, with Data Monitor:

-n70, during a call, I launch the Data Monitor app, when I cover or uncover the sensor with my finger, the value change from 5.0 to 1.0.

-n81, during a call, I launch the Data Monitor app, when I cover or uncover the sensor with my finger, the value stay on 5.0 ...

Even in a dark room without any light at all and with auto-brightness Off. :P

I cant seem to work out why for some people the proximity works fine, Im using n80 with wbaw's v3 TPT, are you using custom auto-brightness values in settings?

Edited by KACE_231

Guest CaptainSpectacular

I'm using TPT v4. I've tried everything ( I think :P ) possible. Full wipe (even format system...) with proper fresh install with "gapps-gb-20110503-signed.zip". The sensor bug is present with :

-n72 only if I tick "auto-brightness" setting. If I don't tick this setting, the proxi sensor is Ok.

-with all roms from n72 I've the bug with or without the auto-brightness setting ticked...

And with last nightly from n79, the sensor doesn't working even the first time, I must move the phone... Like we know the proximity and light sensor can't work in same time (just try to monitoring them in same time... :rolleyes:)

In n72, I understand the fact that if I use auto-brightness, then the proximity sensor can't work.

But with later nightlys, I think the sensor turn off him self or something like this. Maybe he think the light sensor is On. The strange fact is if I crouch and stand up the phone, the sensor turn On and my screen can turn off, maybe I'll make a video of this, this is quiet funny. <_<

Other thing, I've never have any hiss issue after n70, like our phones have different hardwares, or this is maybe the weather or altitude really don't know... :(

Guest Psyloid
whoa! you must be getting 60-70 hrs of heavy usage! better than high end smartphones, misleading to newbies, SS is 5-10% better battery life

I experience about 50% increase in battery life. 1 day and a half of medium usage now, with cm7 i barely made the day. And i always calibrate my battery after changing roms. Im interested in japanese spring now :P

Guest dadashi
n81 and new libaudio.so patch (#55) and its been at least 12 hours with only 1% drain in standby after a call.

I'm trying the patch in N82...

Guest lesa0208

is anyone have problem with gallery? I wipe all and install rom, but every time i open gallery my phone load som pictures and then freezes, so i need to take battery off

Guest blackbart

wi-fi became unstable after switching from N74 to N82 for me, on original OLED from sept, switched back and its ok again

Edited by blackbart

Guest KACE_231
I'm trying the patch in N82...

I want to try the patched libaudio file, do I place it into the "\system\lib" folder before I flash the zip in clockwork?

Guest targetbsp
I want to try the patched libaudio file, do I place it into the "\system\lib" folder before I flash the zip in clockwork?

Should work fine. I used root explorer and copied it into an existing rom myself (remember to change file permissions after copy if doing it this way). Toms commented that it breaks the SIP routing thingy. So it seems a choice between battery life and that. As I don't even know what SIP is, I'm taking the battery life and keeping this libaudio for future roms until they've fixed both. :P

Edited by targetbsp