[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest tsddave

hey guys which nightly do you recommend that is stable and have good battery life? thanks! thinking of going to cm7 after growing tired of gsf

Your not gonna get anything like the battery life your used to from using gsf with cm7 currently. CM7 is stable though and bugs have been ironed out.

CM7 is like gsf but with extras.The question will be if you consider the extras worth the loss of battery life.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Yes, Anil, you're (almost 100% :P) right! I am not running out of battery before getting to a charger. However, when you see reports of 48+ hour long phone usage without a charge it makes you think: "hey, I want that too! What if one of these days I have the chance to charge overnight?!" :lol:

Either way, I installed Autostarts. No longer have partial wakes. Does the battery last significantly longer? I don't know. But I am sure it is not being wasted by something useless. ;)

However, I still find the "Go to sleep" order (i.e., pushing the power button :P) pretty unreliable! :huh: Does anyone have this as well? I'm on Sej's 142+... I would say that half of the times I press the power button, the phone does not fall asleep, as if I press home/menu/back, the screen turns on again as if I am pressing the power button (despite having the configurations right in order to only wake with power button).

Another problem that has affected me lately: sending SMS.

Sometimes, the SMS sending is just not working. I can receive SMS, make and receive calls, but I just can't send SMS. The problem stays for some minutes (15 or so), and then out of the blue I am able to send SMS again. Reboots do not solve it, neither toggling from 2g to 3g or using stock message app. Never happened before installing CM7.

After some struggle trying to discover what caused the problem, I think (not sure) that the problem starts when I try to send a particularly big SMS (with 3 pages or more),. The strange is that then it spreads to all outgoing SMS, despite their size.

Searched the web, and found out that the problem might reside in the SMS Center Number misconfiguration. So went to check it: Dialed *#*#4636#*#* , "phone information", scroll all the way down to SMSC. There was no number there. Touched "Refresh" (the button on the right -> useful tip because of some mistranslations that make both the buttons have the same word). The text (without the brackets) ["+351911616161",145] appears on the box. Touched "Update" (the button on the left-> useful tip, same reason as before, and nothing happened. However, going back (back button), and then entering again in "phone information" reveals that the SMSC is blank again, no number there.

Searched the web further, learned how to convert my carrier (Vodafone, in Portugal) SMS Center Number into PDC Format (some forum like XDA inform that we should first do that), made the conversion, entered the converted number, pressed "Update", and an "Update Error" message shows.

Did anyone else experienced this? If so, any solutions?

PS: I do not think the problem resides in the SIM card itself as it is 3 months old. However, I did not try it on another phone, because I can't reproduce the issue every time I want to (thats why I wrote that I "think (not sure) that the problem starts when I try to send a particularly big SMS").

Any help would be very appreciated!

Hi qwerty_29, a 7 day battery would be cool, but it wouldn't change my life. I live in Europe so I have access to power at most places. So the question is; do I get as much battery life as the time I put in to get that extra battery life? That was my point.

As for your SMS issue. Strange problem, I often send SMS's to my girlfriend when she's in the UK and I'm at home in Italy. My guess is your Telco, but it is purely a guess. A simple test if possible is try the SIM in another phone, or use another SIM. A final option is try something like GO SMS Pro available from the market place. It uses the ANDROID SMS framework same as the built in SMS app, so it would only be half a test, but perhaps worth a try because it will only take 3-4 mins to try it.

I have ZERO issues with N142+, sorry.

I hope this help you. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Ficus

i have a problem with this rom. the default camera app works fine, but apps with camera (like google googles and pudding camera) don't: the image on the screen goes on and off with 1 sec interval, and it is not possible to take pictures. this happens both with N128 and with Sej's N142+.

any tips?

Guest Anil k Solanki

i have a problem with this rom. the default camera app works fine, but apps with camera (like google googles and pudding camera) don't: the image on the screen goes on and off with 1 sec interval, and it is not possible to take pictures. this happens both with N128 and with Sej's N142+.

any tips?

Hi Ficus, I just tried Google Goggles and it worked perfectly in a dark room. I suggest Wiping the Dalvik Cache, the Cache partition, and then flashing N142+ from Simon (sej7278) again. Maybe that will fix your issue.

I hope this helps. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hi guys just tried out n145 and for some reason it feels smoother for me, has anyone else noticed this or is it a placebo effect, I doubt its the kernel as its the same one as the one in 142+ from sej

Guest spanner44

If I am coming from GSF which I did orginally by TPT, do I install the zip via clockwork and also where is the Gapps file ?

Thanks in advance

Guest Anil k Solanki

If I am coming from GSF which I did orginally by TPT, do I install the zip via clockwork and also where is the Gapps file ?

Thanks in advance

Hi, yes install the zip via clockwork. Then flash the Gapps zip available here Gapps it's the first download at the top of the list. I recommend wiping the Dalvik cache, and the Cache partition first then install the two zip files. No personal data will be lost, except any game scores stroed on the phone such as angry birds. Do a backup first using the free apps available in the market place.

I hope this helps. Anil.

Guest qwerty_29

Hi qwerty_29, a 7 day battery would be cool, but it wouldn't change my life. I live in Europe so I have access to power at most places. So the question is; do I get as much battery life as the time I put in to get that extra battery life? That was my point.

As for your SMS issue. Strange problem, I often send SMS's to my girlfriend when she's in the UK and I'm at home in Italy. My guess is your Telco, but it is purely a guess. A simple test if possible is try the SIM in another phone, or use another SIM. A final option is try something like GO SMS Pro available from the market place. It uses the ANDROID SMS framework same as the built in SMS app, so it would only be half a test, but perhaps worth a try because it will only take 3-4 mins to try it.

I have ZERO issues with N142+, sorry.

I hope this help you. Anil.

I don't think is a N142+ issue... maybe something went wrong when installing this ROM (dalvik + cache wipe). Whats your opinion: would a total wipe do any good?

It is not a carrier problem, because I made some tests and my brother can send sms while I can't (we both use Vodafone PT). Also tried my SIM on another phone, and it worked flawlessly, so the problem is not in the SIM card either.

Tried GO SMS (also Handcent and stock app, besides trying uninstalling and reinstalling the apps), did not work. the message is not sent if it has 3 or more pages... full wipe?

Edited by qwerty_29

Guest Anil k Solanki

I don't think is a N142+ issue... maybe something went wrong when installing this ROM (dalvik + cache wipe). Whats your opinion: would a total wipe do any good?

It is not a carrier problem, because I made some tests and my brother can send sms while I can't (we both use Vodafone PT). Also tried my SIM on another phone, and it worked flawlessly, so the problem is not in the SIM card either.

Tried GO SMS (also Handcent and stock app, besides trying uninstalling and reinstalling the apps), did not work. the message is not sent if it has 3 or more pages... full wipe?

Hi qwerty_29, I have just sent myself 6 SMS messages. The first 3 were part of one long conversation, when I pressed send Go SMS Pro split the messages into 3 separate messages and they all went. The second lot of three I unchecked the option to split large messages in Go SMS Pro,

split-sms_8157.png

and the second lot of three were sent successfully as one big message.

Can you confirm, that you can send one big message on other handsets using your SIM?

Also try using the split message option in Go SMS Pro and see if that works. Factory wipe and reset would be a last resort in my opinion. And I would only do that after you have made a Nandroid backup and then Flash the ROM using a different Micro SD card, because a factory reset will wipe your Micro SD card aswell.

You owe me €0.90 for six SMS messages. :)

I hope this helps. Anil.

Guest WildeRNS

Hi qwerty_29, I have just sent myself 6 SMS messages. The first 3 were part of one long conversation, when I pressed send Go SMS Pro split the messages into 3 separate messages and they all went. The second lot of three I unchecked the option to split large messages in Go SMS Pro,

split-sms_8157.png

Can you confirm, that you can send one big message on other handsets using your SIM?

Also try using the split message option in Go SMS Pro and see if that works. Factory wipe and reset would be a last resort in my opinion. And I would only do that after you have made a Nandroid backup and then Flash the ROM using a different Micro SD card, because a factory reset will wipe your Micro SD card aswell.

I hope this helps. Anil.

how u make white backgoung on your screen??? give me please link to you'rs theme please.

Guest Anil k Solanki

how u make white backgoung on your screen??? give me please link to you'rs theme please.

Hi, the white background is only in the app Go SMS Pro, sorry.

Anil.

Guest k0zmic

Messages > Settings > Black Background untick

Guest Anil k Solanki

Messages > Settings > Black Background untick

True, but I thought the poster believed the white/grey menu's were part of the OS?

Anil.

Guest simonckenyon

that's what i'd like to know too - as there's been 6 commits after that one with v9 tablet fixes etc. (they're in my n142+)

this is the problem with the kernel not being stored as source in cyanogenmod's git repo, its stored as a binary, and the source is in tom_g's personal github account - so hope he doesn't get tired of blades :D

it kind of makes a mockery of gerrit code review, as what gets checked into gerrit is a binary, so how can the reviewers review it? (other than the binary loads ok on their phone!)

i suspect that it is because there is a single kernel tree for every other device.

but has anyone asked him what the real reason is?

has he said how the move to .35 is going?

Guest sej7278

i suspect that it is because there is a single kernel tree for every other device.

but has anyone asked him what the real reason is?

has he said how the move to .35 is going?

i've tried to find him on irc a few times to no avail, he doesn't answer much on github/issues either (bit busy maybe?!) there is no movement on 2.6.35 as zte won't release the source until the skate has gone live in september.

on a related note, has anyone noticed that it now says android 2.3.5 build GRJ90 in nightly 145 - i can't even find the commit that changed that in gerrit or the changelog, in git it seems to be defined in build/core/version_defaults.mk and vendor/cyanogen/products/cyanogen_blade.mk

post-839039-0-47696300-1311848681_thumb.

time to change the thread title again :D

google maps 5.8 made the phone hang completely, had to remove the battery this time, its usually just a reboot when i get a new version of maps.

no sign of this new market yet either - not that video/books etc. will work outside the usa.

Edited by sej7278

Guest !Amo!

hello!

please somebody can help me?

where can I find the latest gapps collection for the latest nightly?

And Is the gapps contain the newest market yet?

I used this rom so long time ago,,,

Thanks!

Guest mELIANTE

hello!

please somebody can help me?

where can I find the latest gapps collection for the latest nightly?

And Is the gapps contain the newest market yet?

I used this rom so long time ago,,,

Thanks!

Go to the Cyanogenmod Wiki page and search for gapps.

Guest Tetas

split-sms_8157.png

I hope this helps. Anil.

Uhmmm I don't think a factory reset would wipe the Micro SD , you'd have to format /sdcard I believe. I've done lots of factory resets while trying new roms, the contents of the sd card will stay there.

Guest mon3em

On 145 now

- Many languages are missing from keyboard. ( just installed LatinIME.apk from other nightlyto fix the problem )

- Data access always on don't know what is going on!!

- can't judge the battery now till i figure out why data transfer always on.

any one have the same problem ?

Edited by mon3em

Guest qwerty_29

split-sms_8157.png

I hope this helps. Anil.

Yes I can confirm that... I have also tried to split the message, and the messages go normalla (unless I have tried to send a big message first, which seems to disable my ability to send messages at all for a while).

The problem is surely in some deep configuration of the SMS sending mechanism, that's why I thought that a full wipe would do the trick. But I want to delay that as long as possible...:(

As for the €0.90, I owe you much more than that, Anil! Thanks a lot for your help! ;)

I dont know if anyone else has seen this, but on N#145, 3d launchers always force close.

its the same with regina 3d and spb shell 3d.

does anyone else have this problem?

Guest Anil k Solanki

Uhmmm I don't think a factory reset would wipe the Micro SD , you'd have to format /sdcard I believe. I've done lots of factory resets while trying new roms, the contents of the sd card will stay there.

Hi, to be precise, the ANDROID OS will wipe any user data on the SD card if you do a Factory reset. Everybody tends to have a different set of stuff on the SD card. But the SD Card>ANDROID>data directories will get wiped. Best to be safe.

Anil

Edited by Anil k Solanki