[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp

I downloaded Lane Splitter (not a game I have) and it runs great on patch 7. 3d benchmark score looks spot on too so there's no obvious performance issue I can find. In fact, I'd say gaming performance is better than the old nightlies.

I'm doing performance testing solely with AngryBirds Rio. It lags pretty bad with P7 and doesn't run as smooth as with P3.

Gingerbread AOSP 2.3.5 works still best for me concerning performance.

Any reports of crash/reboot bugs in patch 7?

I've been hanging out for a more stable CM rom, currently running GSF b19 with new kernel because of stability issues with CM and the latest GSF beta versions.

If no reports in an hour or two curiosity will no doubt get the better of me and force me to flash my blade ;-)

Side note: Something that not many peeps talk about with GSF a number of apps just plain don't work properly with GSF e.g. Listen, Viber, a whole lot of games. (yet to find an app that does not work properly with CM... hmm let me revise that Maps and Camera :-))

On yet another side note: I was just wondering what the fundamental advantages of the new kernel are? Anyone in the know or just want to make a stab? And "uhh duh just betta" OR "faster" is not a really an informative or comprehensive reply.

May be jumping the gun or counting the bugs before they are fixed but...

Congrats to Tom G and Sej for the sterling work and obvious dedication to the common cause! If this patch fixes the bugs then they deserve admittance to the Cyanogen Mod Hall of Fame and an honorary knight hood for services to the blade!

Guest targetbsp

On yet another side note: I was just wondering what the fundamental advantages of the new kernel are? Anyone in the know or just want to make a stab? And "uhh duh just betta" OR "faster" is not a really an informative or comprehensive reply.

wifi is improved. Can stay on all the time while the phone sleeps (whilst using next to no battery) or if set to go off with screen will actually reconnect reliably.

Oh... and it's faster. ;)

I'm doing performance testing solely with AngryBirds Rio. It lags pretty bad with P7 and doesn't run as smooth as with P3.

Gingerbread AOSP 2.3.5 works still best for me concerning performance.

If you haven't already, try disabling surface dithering in CM settings > Performance. Maybe it will help a bit?

Guest ritterkeks

i have just updated to patch7 from patch3(without +). surprisingly, the first boot didn't work - it hung on the cyanogen mod still.

pulled the battery out and tried again, took 5 minutes but it booted fine then..

it is working good so far, no gps reboot, no wifi reboot, good work!now to priximity: [great.. now even with the new dock, i can't use return on the new post page. so it is definetely a browser bug - but it happened only on the modaco site so far..]

ok working gain. values after calibration (did it twice): 2764 high, 2211 low. (under low light) BUT I have a screen protector,and I can't help but think that this might have a little influence on a proxiity sensor ;-)

so now with new kernel, they are still that high, as high as before and as they have beenwith .32 kernel.

and now for bluetooth @tom_g did you have a look at this: [great, can't copy&pste into the modaco field, due to the browser bug..] Its Change I7601384e and its a fix for the AVRCP issue which I experienced with my headset too. Its not only the sluggish connection,

but the bluetooth crash/reboot after connecting. its not a loop for me, it works after one bluetooth-restart, well still badly, but it works.

but AVRCP is not working, at least not the song title information.

this should fix it. could you possibly include this, bluetooth cannot get worse, so I could test it...

Guest leetron1

Thanks for all the work...great rom only noticed spb 3d shell noticeably more jerky than in previous roms so maybe there is something to the 3d performance issues with the latest rom?

tsddave

I don't discuss with You because I must have stable phone without reboots. You see posts above?

:)

There was no offence implied or meant, I was just joking around. You stick with what you are happy with :)

I dont have reboots by the way :)

If you haven't already, try disabling surface dithering in CM settings > Performance. Maybe it will help a bit?

Already reverted back to 2.3.5 (with the good old 2.6.32.9-perf kernel), that works just fine with dithering on.

Could someone else please test Angrybirds with P7 to see if it lags? It's anyways probably the most used app in the phone ;)

What's the difference now between patchset 5 and 7? Could you do anything with random shutdowns?

The shutdowns should now be completely fixed (thanks to sej providing logs. I couldn't do it without them). It is no longer ignoring based on time since resume, it is now using a battery status flag returned from the battery, which I assume works. There is no way to know if it actually works or at what temperature it activates without cooking a blade to find out.

and now for bluetooth @tom_g did you have a look at this: [great, can't copy&pste into the modaco field, due to the browser bug..] Its Change I7601384e and its a fix for the AVRCP issue which I experienced with my headset too. Its not only the sluggish connection,

but the bluetooth crash/reboot after connecting. its not a loop for me, it works after one bluetooth-restart, well still badly, but it works.

but AVRCP is not working, at least not the song title information.

this should fix it. could you possibly include this, bluetooth cannot get worse, so I could test it...

The bluetooth patch to fix AVRCP should be merged very soon (before RC2).

Guest targetbsp

Nooby question, to apply this i just use rom manager? Over the top of n179?

Yeah it goes fine over the top of N179. Download, copy to SD card and use the install rom from sd card option in rom manager. I think you need rom manager premium to do that, if you don't have it reboot into recovery and install it using clockwork.

Guest targetbsp

Could someone else please test Angrybirds with P7 to see if it lags? It's anyways probably the most used app in the phone ;)

Seems fine to me. Its performance has always varied by level though. Do you have a particular level causing trouble?

There is some discussion on what I think is the bluetooth problem you are having at http://review.cyanogenmod.com/7927.

As a temporary workaround for the problem you could use 'echo 2 > /proc/cpu/alignment'.

If you look in init.rc you will see alignment is currently set to 4 at boot. You could either change that to 2 and repack the boot image, or add a script in init.d to set it at boot. The code causing the problem should be fixed properly soon.

Hi TomG

Just had a chance to run that command in Terminal (with added SU this time) however nothing followed.

The shutdowns should now be completely fixed (thanks to sej providing logs. I couldn't do it without them). It is no longer ignoring based on time since resume, it is now using a battery status flag returned from the battery, which I assume works. There is no way to know if it actually works or at what temperature it activates without cooking a blade to find out.

The bluetooth patch to fix AVRCP should be merged very soon (before RC2).

Judging by this post my results would've probably been academic anyway.

Again thanks for every-ones efforts!

Cheers, Paul

Guest SkiesOfAzel

Tom G you are a legend, your kernel is terrific ! No reboots, and the performance is great :). Btw, which scheduler is the kernel using, cfs or bfs ?

Coming from Gsf i noticed that while your kernel (p7) is fast, animations tend to be a little jerkier. It's nothing major, i am just curious as to what has caused Wbaw's kernel to behave so smoothly.

Thanks again for your wonderful work !

Seems fine to me. Its performance has always varied by level though. Do you have a particular level causing trouble?

Yeah, most levels are usually fine. Angrybirds Rio, 2-8 seems to be causing trouble almost every time. And now P7 was lagging in almost all levels.

Guest jackal-sk

Battery went down by 4% in 8.45 hours over the night, only 2G network on. That's really cool :).

Edit: I have no performance problems in AB Rio as well.

Edited by jackal-sk