[HOWTO]Change the digitizer screen (ZTE Blade)

Guest Goots

This is great apart from the fact the last bloody screw will not budge!!!!<_<

So now I have a working phone with a cracked screen and a new screen that can't be put on. Marvellous!

Guest mrflibbles

£17.25 inc postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270678722160

Word of warning. There is a technique to removing the rear cover. Use a small flat blade screw driver to pull open the four wedges visible on the inside of the battery compartment to make it much easier.

Also remember to clean the inside of the replacement screen with a lint free cloth BEFORE you fit it, otherwise you'll just have to take the phone apart again to get rid of the dust :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ojconcentrate

BE VERY Careful.

while opening up my OSF, everything was going ok until i was prying open the back cover with a flathead screwdriver, the actuall LCD screen is connected to the motherboard with a flex cable that is not as resistant as the cable that connects the digitizer. it almost looks like a flat piece of rubber. long story short, when prying around that area a nicked the edge of the cable that connect the lcd to the motherboard and now i have a screenless arm based linux device that can only be accessed via adb.

otherwise the guide is great.

Edited by ojconcentrate

Yep, you need to be really careful. If you start at the bottom of the phone, the two halves separate just enough for you to see if there is anything in the way. Don't push the screwdriver in too far otherwise you might be unlucky enough to catch a ribbon cable or something, as ojconcentrate did :(

It might even be worth using a thick guitar plectrum or something rather than a screwdriver.

If I remember originally though, I only had to start the split using a screwdriver, once I had the two pieces separated enough, I managed to prise them apart using my fingernails.

Additionally, you don't actually remove the display itself using this method, just the clear digitizer that covers it.

Guest ojconcentrate

Yep, you need to be really careful. If you start at the bottom of the phone, the two halves separate just enough for you to see if there is anything in the way. Don't push the screwdriver in too far otherwise you might be unlucky enough to catch a ribbon cable or something, as ojconcentrate did :(

It might even be worth using a thick guitar plectrum or something rather than a screwdriver.

If I remember originally though, I only had to start the split using a screwdriver, once I had the two pieces separated enough, I managed to prise them apart using my fingernails.

Additionally, you don't actually remove the display itself using this method, just the clear digitizer that covers it.

well... i reserved another one (only white available though....) and will pick it up today. if the monte carlo was already network unlockable i would probably buy that one.

Edited by ojconcentrate

Hello,

I just received my new digitizer and I'm pretty pissed because it arrived without the the bodywork around. Can somebody tell me how I can get the old one out and if I have the glue the new one?

bladeychs.jpg

Where you get it?

You need a Cutting knife. Then you go with ne knife unter the middle of the Fascio around der Fascia.

Glue? I dont know...go to a mobile shop and ask for glue

Thank you, but I'll try it myself the next days. I got lots of University stuff to do. How much would you want? Ebay prices are quite high these days (>40€).

Guest Sborovm

Send it back to e_ja and tell him you has a Libra ;)

Hey WAWA72 it looks you have a service center in Germany for Blades ;)

Where are you getting these spare parts from?

I bought one from justgenuine2011 on ebay for £9.79 delivered yesterday, it arrived this morning and is now fitted and working perfectly biggrin.gif

It isn't new but was absolutely unmarked other than it had been cleaned with something a bit greasy (smelled like pledge or similarblink.gif) so took 5 mins to clean properly.

Followed the instructions in the 1st post and managed to split the case just using a fingernail. Job done in 10 mins from opening the jiffy bag to powering up the phonebiggrin.gif

edit: item number is 270833033548 and they had more than 10 left earlier

Edited by mike_

Great thread ..

Many thanks to the OP and to mike_ ^^^^^ for the now £9.39 ebay ad.

Just ordered one as mine has a crack which I was going to ignore till the Skate becomes unlockable.

As it appears I might grow old and die before that happens I'm fixing the SF.

Edited by jonep

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question re; my sons cracked San Fran. (I also have one, not cracked though.)

It's cracked across one third of the digitizer screen but works perfectly well in all functionality/areas.

Does this mean that the underlying Oled screen is definitely intact, or could the Oled also be broken but still function?

No point in replacing the digitizer if the Oled is also cracked under it.

PS. The phone's at Uni along with it's owner at present so I can't prise it apart to check for myself before buying a relacement digitizer.

Thanks. :)

PPS. Just noticed that they're now much cheaper on the Bay than the last time i looked about a month ago. There was only one seller and they wanted £30 then.

Edited by anglo

If the OLED screen was cracked I think there would be a large area of it that would be black, or have a matrix of white lines across it, emanating from the cracked area.

I saw one that was cracked and while you could see part of the screen, most of it looked like it had a mixture of horizontal and vertical white lines all over it.

If I was a gambling man, from what you say, I'd wager that his OLED is fine, and just the digitizer is cracked :)

Thanks Goots. It will only cost a tenner now to find out if it's a cracked Oled.

Want to buy one now as I can get it for £10 but won't be able to fit it until he's home near Xmas and if it turns out to be faulty I guess I won't be able to return it by then.

If I leave buying it till he's back home it may be more expensive again.

I'll ask him if he'd be up for changing it himself if I get it delivered to him.

Decisions. :unsure: :)

Edited by anglo

Guest gomes29

Hi then, I need to replace my digitizer screen and I'm searching for options..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Genuine-ZTE-Blade-Front-Fascia-digitizer-screen-/300532388885?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneFascias_JN&hash=item45f9205415#ht_1613wt_905&clk_rvr_id=285244702671&afsrc=1

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270678722160?clk_rvr_id=285236464458&afsrc=1

The first one is used and I'm not sure if it is in good conditions..the second is in 'Seller refurbished' condition so I dont know what I go to buy.. If someone has feedback from this sellers pls report here.. I'll be very grateful

Guest gadgetshop

Hi then, I need to replace my digitizer screen and I'm searching for options..

http://www.ebay.co.u...4702671&afsrc=1

and

http://www.ebay.co.u...6464458&afsrc=1

The first one is used and I'm not sure if it is in good conditions..the second is in 'Seller refurbished' condition so I dont know what I go to buy.. If someone has feedback from this sellers pls report here.. I'll be very grateful

I used this seller when I fixed my girlfriends, It says refurb but its like new, not a mark on it. Just looked but he's not got any black at the moment but if you emailed him he might be able to help you out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SAN-FRANCISCO-TOUCH-SCREEN-DISPLAY-DIGITIZER-/280721453691?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item415c4d727b#ht_500wt_1202

Sean

Edited by gadgetshop