28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Trym Hansen

FR18b2, mck14 kernel, no oc, no tweaks: Still a slight problem with the automatic brightness and low power alerts. What happens is this:

1) The screen increases in brigthness (to approx 50% brightness), then the background is dimmed, and the alert pops up.

2) You press ok.

3) The screen will stay at the set brightness in step 1). Auto-brightness will not kick in before device has gone to sleep/awakened or you have disabled and re-enabled auto-brightness.

::Trym

Guest Involver

Just to confirm, battery life has improved A LOT with FR18b2 (at least for me). Dialer usage is now almost down to nothing and battery usage has almost tripled when compared to (my) FR16 flash. Wow... Just 'plain' FR18b2, only Google apps, except for stuff like FM radio and the LG wallpapers. No hacks enabled (RAM & SQL). Quadrant shows approx 2600 (less than with FR16 which tipped 3k), but the overall feel is just smooth as butter that has been in the sun for an hour...

Guest Nolsen
Whenever I get unusually high battery drain, the microSD in my phone gets extremely hot and when I go to the SD settings it's been dismounted.

It's mostly after I reboot from CWM or sometimes when I have connected the USB cable (debugging on, so no SD-mounts).

A bit weird :/

Yea i got the exact same problem. Usually help if i reboot the phone. But i have also seen it on CM7.

Guest 75markus
Guys, you have me confused. Should i, or should i not flash the latest baseband for use with FR18b2?

use baseband 0405, more stable than newest one ...

Guest planeth

Sorry for noob question, but I'm still not sure I understand the whole baseband thing completely.

First of all... When I flash a new Modaco ROM, does it automatically upgrade my baseband?

If not, should I update my baseband manually? (See my phone info here)

What would the benefits be?

Finally: Can someone give me a link for the baseband I should use, and instructions how to do? Just flash zip in recovery, or should I do something fancy to install it?

Thanks.

Guest jambezuk
Sorry for noob question, but I'm still not sure I understand the whole baseband thing completely.

First of all... When I flash a new Modaco ROM, does it automatically upgrade my baseband?

If not, should I update my baseband manually? (See my phone info here)

What would the benefits be?

Finally: Can someone give me a link for the baseband I should use, and instructions how to do? Just flash zip in recovery, or should I do something fancy to install it?

Thanks.

Modaco ROMs do NOT update your baseband.

I think the consensus is that 1035.21_20110405 baseband is the most stable, you have an older one. Benefits include stronger reception, less dropped calls, that type of thing - personally, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Instructions for flashing are here: http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-optim...35-21-20110502/

Guest 75markus
Anyone able to assist with this please? Desperate to fix my GPS.

i posted flashable update.zip for hidden menu some pages ago ....

Guest planeth

Jambezuk: I was looking at that page, but I wasn't sure if it was the right one.... Looks like I have to wipe again :/

Thank you nevertheless, helped a lot, I will look into it when I have the time :P

Guest Riemen

@Paul: I did a complete wipe and format, but the browser search bug, I mentioned before is still present. Seems the search url that is loaded when you enter a search into the browser adress bar is not correct, so only google main page is loaded and not the search result.

Copied over an older browser.apk from a pre FR17 rom and everything works fine again.

Seems like there has been broken something during norwegian translation.

Btw: Everything is set to german... Maybe this problem is language dependent.

Could you please have a look in this before next release?

Guest jon.m.knight

It's been asked a few times already - but how do you access the hidden menu? I've got hiddenmenu.apk, Hiddenmenu_chargingTest.apk & Hiddenmenu_SDCardTest.apk flashed to /system/app from the flashable zip posted on p156...

Where is it?

I can't seem to see it in settings

P.S - My baked ROM turns off the music / wifi toggle buttons, incase it's expected to be on the pulldown bar somewhere?

e: Dialer method didn't work for me, but creating a shortcut did...

"Long press on home screen

Select Shortcuts

Select Activities

Scroll down to and expand com.lge.hiddenmenu

Select HiddenMenu (first entry)

Enter Shortcut name

Click on shortcut to launch"

Edited by jon.m.knight

Guest planeth
It's been asked a few times already - but how do you access the hidden menu? I've got hiddenmenu.apk, Hiddenmenu_chargingTest.apk & Hiddenmenu_SDCardTest.apk flashed to /system/app from the flashable zip posted on p156...

Where is it?

I can't seem to see it in settings

P.S - My baked ROM turns off the music / wifi toggle buttons, incase it's expected to be on the pulldown bar somewhere?

There is no icon for hiddenmenu... You need to launch the activity (com.lge.hiddenmenu / HiddenMenu)

You can do that with launcherpro, bettercut or other apps that can launch activities.

From launcherpro, just keep finger on screen, when menu pops up, press shortcuts -> activities.

Hope it helps.

Guest Squide
There is no icon for hiddenmenu... You need to launch the activity (com.lge.hiddenmenu / HiddenMenu)

You can do that with launcherpro, bettercut or other apps that can launch activities.

From launcherpro, just keep finger on screen, when menu pops up, press shortcuts -> activities.

Hope it helps.

try to hold you finger on the place between the back and search button

and move it up to the screen... there you go.

no shortcut needed.

Guest djmcnz

no shortcut needed.

Someone needs to post a video of that... never works for me and I'm somewhat skeptical...

Guest superior1986

i've updated to fr18b2 but now i've got the problem that my 3g isn't working... gprs works well, but of course very slow.

any idea? :P did a full wipe before flashing!

Guest djmcnz

Reboots

So I've been doing some more testing and have determined that I can reliably get my phone to reboot now under certain circumstances. I live in the centre of Amsterdam and if I do the following I can force a reboot.

• Sit at home, WiFi on, GPS off
  • Start music (I do this so I can tell immediately when the phone reboots)
  • Start logcat in Terminal (logcat > /data/local/my.log)
  • Leave house, WiFi turns off, GPS turns on automatically (Settings Profile)
  • Walk around my block - bang! reboot!

I can't help but think it's radio or GPS related or something perhaps to do with the kernel? Either way GPS is borked in Fr18.

So, again here's a log from a fresh reboot to an "automatic" reboot, every line included.

Full log: http://pastebin.com/MsbSFMRn

@Paul - since I can now seem to reproduce this at will, can you provide any insight or perhaps a debugging kernel I can run to get more data? This is 100% a regression from previous Fr's so I really hope you consider it "in scope" to investigate.

Oh, and does the absence of this file suggest a reason for broken GPS?

W/PackageManager( 1074): Library not found: /system/framework/com.android.location.provider.jar

I want to test this and help solve it because as of now I'm being forced back to Fr10... :P

Guest planeth

no shortcut needed.

Doesn't work for me either.... As djmsnz said, video would be nice, so we can se that feature in action :P

Guest LevelOne

Went over to the new baseband on FR18b2... All seems ok BUT, every time i restart, the setting to use only 2G Networks is lost along with the GSM Only option.... Any ideas?

Guest djmcnz

Okay, so I'm a believer (of sorts now).

Does not work on my phone. As soon as my finger hits the LCD part of the screen it registers as a tap or swipe and performs the corresponding action.

Watched the video 20 times. 100% sure it does not work on my phone. *shrugs*

Edited by djmcnz

Guest planeth
Okay, so I'm a believer (of sorts now).

Does not work on my phone. As soon as my finger hits the LCD part of the screen it registers as a tap or swipe and performs the corresponding action.

Watched the video 20 times. 100% sure it does not work on my phone. *shrugs*

+1

Someone probably just manipulated that video... Seems weird there should be a secret button on the phone, only to be used for launching hidden menu in a secret way, instead of the ordinary way :P