28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest djmcnz
I have tested GPS with Runtastic GPS coach. It was locked all the time but accuracy is far from good.

Here you can see recorded track:

screen-shot-2011-06-08-a.jpg

The maps are old, so don't look at roads, but as you can see, the line is not as it should be. Because of that Runtastic showed about 400m more as it should. I hope you understand what the problem is :P

I didn't change any settings, everything is as you get with Fr18b2. On stock v10b GPS was perfect, but I can not be satisfied with this. Anyone has better experience with GPS settings changed as described above?

See my post above... also fixed accuracy for me, used to be 40+ meters off... ie if I were on the street it would say I was in a building... now it shows me on the street. ;)

Guest Ph4nt0m
See my post above... also fixed accuracy for me, used to be 40+ meters off... ie if I were on the street it would say I was in a building... now it shows me on the street. ;)

I don't know if this is the problem. After lock the location is fine, altough it says it is accurate to 10m. I think it keeps locking and disconnecting all the time. A tried again after some changes. GPS locked 2 or 3 times in 2 minutes and there were no "blank spots" on the map. Maybe this could be the real problem.

Guest chong01
WOOO-HOOO!!

;)

Fr17 RIL fixes GPS... for me anyway.

Renamed lge-ril.so to lge-ril.so.fr18

Placed file from 75markus in /system/lib/

Rebooted phone

Opened Google Maps - GPS fix in ~15 seconds (indoors, cloudy sky, Prague)

Lock stays active too...

GPSFix (from Market) picks up 7 sats and locks in <10 secs.

Previous testing, same location was an utter fail (lock took 2 - 4 mins and only held for a few seconds/minutes).

I obviously need to test more because my sample is 1 location at the moment but things are looking up.

For others:

My "Hidden Menu" settings are:

MOLR Protocol = User Plane

SLP Server Setting = Nokia

APN Settngs = Carrier default (including ,supl)

SLP Auto Provision = On (checked)

Misc = All Off (unchecked)

What an improvement - so happy for the suggestions, thanks Paul, Markus et al!

What did you use to rename the file? I tried "File Expert" app which has root access, but it fails to rename the file.

Guest PhilNelwyn
Sorry mate, when I pay that much for a phone I expect nothing less than a decent support or a software to come along with it without having to depend on other people much more competent to fix their mess (Talking about Paul of course). LG screw up big time (I didn't only pay for a hardware which is good I agree, but we all paid for the crap that came along).

Isn't it under warranty ?

Did you try and have it replaced ?

On my P990 I never had any freeze or reboot.

I don't see a fraction of the problems O2X has in the Sensation

Before you buy it, read this : http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/06/06/htc...th-grip-issues/

Edited by PhilNelwyn

Guest djmcnz
What did you use to rename the file? I tried "File Expert" app which has root access, but it fails to rename the file.

Make sure you mount the file system read/write first. I use Root Explorer but any root file manager should work... or adb or terminal.

Guest 75markus

just to confirm, spanish RIL with baseband 502 gives me perfect fix, located in austria, provider : orange...

i got this fix in my car in about 6 sec ...

20110608171345.png

strange it´s not working for everybody ...

perhaps because of different providers / countries ??!

Edited by 75markus

Guest shoulim
Isn't it under warranty ?

Did you try and have it replaced ?

On my P990 I never had any freeze or reboot.

Before you buy it, read this : http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/06/06/htc...th-grip-issues/

It was 2 months only, and don't think replacing would solve the issues, and the bad software quality anyways. I would have preferred to buy for half of the price without software. ;)

Funny that my reboots only happen when I have Bluetooth on most of the time. And the battery is a drag as well. I use for business and missing calls because the phone went dead is really bad business for me.

I am just really disappoint with overall quality, design, support and everything else. I came from iPhone expecting something more solid but flexible at the same time. But LG gave me nothing of those items. I think only the screen quality is good, but after holding the Sensation, GSII and mine side by side I came to the conclusion that none of them is perfect or to the standard of quality I am looking for, the only only the came close was the sensation in overall (hardware and software), so I will get it. Let's say I was hoping to get a iPhone with widgets. :P

I saw that video, not sure how accurate it is, so let's see how it goes. For my daily use I think it will be a minor problem for me.

I just can't handle the feeling I got myself in a bad deal when I look at the phone, so I just have to live with the fact I will loose money when selling because from what I see on the sites (including ebay) O2X is not selling or nobody is interested unless it is sold for 350 euros max. I glad for those who are happy with the phone, but it is just not working for me. WIll never buy a LG phone anymore that is for sure. But enough with the whining, I certainly had more than I would with the help of Paul. :D And thnaks for all the help!!!

Edited by shoulim

Guest Ph4nt0m

For all who have troubles with GPS, try this settings:

cap201106082309.jpg

I have used the same application as before to record my car drive and it is much better. If this will work, maybe Paul should make this settings as default in his ROMs...

Just find gps.conf file in /system/etc folder and change it. It works for me ;)

Guest johnnydj
It was 2 months only, and don't think replacing would solve the issues, and the bad software quality anyways. I would have preferred to buy for half of the price without software. ;)

Funny that my reboots only happen when I have Bluetooth on most of the time. And the battery is a drag as well. I use for business and missing calls because the phone went dead is really bad business for me.

I am just really disappoint with overall quality, design, support and everything else. I came from iPhone expecting something more solid but flexible at the same time. But LG gave me nothing of those items. I think only the screen quality is good, but after holding the Sensation, GSII and mine side by side I came to the conclusion that none of them is perfect or to the standard of quality I am looking for, the only only the came close was the sensation in overall (hardware and software), so I will get it. Let's say I was hoping to get a iPhone with widgets. :P

I saw that video, not sure how accurate it is, so let's see how it goes. For my daily use I think it will be a minor problem for me.

I just can't handle the feeling I got myself in a bad deal when I look at the phone, so I just have to live with the fact I will loose money when selling because from what I see on the sites (including ebay) O2X is not selling or nobody is interested unless it is sold for 350 euros max. I glad for those who are happy with the phone, but it is just not working for me. WIll never buy a LG phone anymore that is for sure. But enough with the whining, I certainly had more than I would with the help of Paul. :D And thnaks for all the help!!!

you're weird bro :D

you say that the software and build quality of the O2X is bad.

then you say the sensation is awesome and you don't care if you lose signal if you hold the phone in a different way in your hands...

come on now... we are talking about smartphones. what design you want?

I'm pretty sure we all want a piece of glass in our hands, without physical buttons, or other stuff.

we just want a big touchscreen in our hands.

well unless you're one of those guys when we had a nokia 3210 and we put stickers on it, and flashing leds at the back of the phone...

Guest shoulim
you're weird bro :D

you say that the software and build quality of the O2X is bad.

then you say the sensation is awesome and you don't care if you lose signal if you hold the phone in a different way in your hands...

come on now... we are talking about smartphones. what design you want?

I'm pretty sure we all want a piece of glass in our hands, without physical buttons, or other stuff.

we just want a big touchscreen in our hands.

well unless you're one of those guys when we had a nokia 3210 and we put stickers on it, and flashing leds at the back of the phone...

To end the topic, I just prefer the sensation over O2X (should have waited but my urges for a new phone spoke louder) :P . I just got the phone and there is no problem with the so call grip of death (tested just like the video and didn't get any drop on connection, and to be honest it was really uncomfortable to browse and hold it like that anyways). You shouldn't believe on everything you see on the net. :D and I don't think the camera is worse than LG, unless you are trying to make a Hollywood movie. :D

Haha, did they really do that with Nokia. ;)

Good luck and have fun with LG mine is going into trash if I can't sell it.

Edited by shoulim

Guest Clone519

Hmmm i sent an email to LG yesterday about the gingerbread update for the O2X and this was their reply

Thank you for choosing LG!

Sorry to inform you that the upgrade for LG P990 from android os 2.2 to android os 2.3 is not ready. We will inform you once it is ready.

If you have any other inquiry, feel free to email us or contact LG helpdesk

I wonder what do they mean when they say 'not ready'...

Edited by Clone519

Guest Ph4nt0m
kitchenupdate.png

;)

P

That's what I was thinking about after last bake :P Thank you for this improvement!

Edited by Ph4nt0m

It seems that LG has pushed the Gingerbread update to autumn ;) According to the danish LG site.

So paul, I am eagerly waiting on FR19 :P

A heads up that all being well I should be back working on this ROM again tomorrow... so if you've got an issue you want me to look at, makes sure it's in THE TRACKER!. ;)

P

That is just superb, Paul :P

More news. According to LG Norway (which now say the same as LG Denmark), a firmware update to fix the rebooting etc. should be released sometime next week.

Guest bobonolla

I have noticed a pattern of the reboots!

When I first start my o2x i have about 212MB free. I use it and programs use memory (duh...). But, some programs don't return the memory when shut down... somehow after some time I only have 140 MB free (takes about 3 days)... (when killing all tasks with task manager) and when I go below 130MB the phone reboots... I have tested this for two weeks now and it never failes. when under 130MB..kaboom. I also tried a manual reboot once every day for a week and got none unwanted reboot...

So my conclution is that there is something wrong in the memory handler or garbage collector.

It would bee nice if someone could confirm/disprove this.

Guest inza
I have noticed a pattern of the reboots!

When I first start my o2x i have about 212MB free. I use it and programs use memory (duh...). But, some programs don't return the memory when shut down... somehow after some time I only have 140 MB free (takes about 3 days)... (when killing all tasks with task manager) and when I go below 130MB the phone reboots... I have tested this for two weeks now and it never failes. when under 130MB..kaboom. I also tried a manual reboot once every day for a week and got none unwanted reboot...

So my conclution is that there is something wrong in the memory handler or garbage collector.

It would bee nice if someone could confirm/disprove this.

I've been as low as 60 MB with FR17 no problem except lag.

Edited by inza

Guest bobonolla
I've been as low as 60 MB with FR17 no problem except lag.

Yes, me too. But this is after killing all tasks. then some memory is released but not as much as was initially taken. So something is allocating memory but not freeing it.

Guest psychodelic

Hey Paul,

I'am from germany and I have Fr18b2 installed.

Last weekend I was in Czech Republic and in Austria. My Phone disconnected from my cell phone provider and there was no Chance to reconnect with the LG.

Only possibility was that I put my SIM - Card into my old Phone (Nokia 5800) and registered it to the foreign network (o2 Czech). After that I putted my Card back to the LG and it worked witthout problems.

Same procedure when I arrived Austria and when I was back in Germany. ;)

Anybody with the same problem?

(excuse my bad english)

Guest inza
Yes, me too. But this is after killing all tasks. then some memory is released but not as much as was initially taken. So something is allocating memory but not freeing it.

I see!