CM7 Development - Needs You!

Guest JayGB1982

Guest JayGB1982

Ok just a thought..... The current CM7 ROM for the blade has a few device specific issues, which have been taking a while to fix...Some of which are still just not working.

My idea is for people like Paul , Seb , Flibblesan and other developers etc to work together to produce a kitchen on Modaco for Android 2.3.3

This was we can select a custom CM7 ROM which is tailored towards our individual needs / requirements.

But also with the expertise of said developers I'm sure that the CM7 / Gingerbread port to the blade could become more stable.

I have appreciation for the work that #TeamDouche / Cyangenmod are doing on the CM7 ROM.

But feel that surely Modaco could branch off and create our own ROM using the CM7 source?

Which we could perhaps develop / bug test quicker?

Thoughts?

Guest kallt_kaffe
no reason to duplicate work,

I agree... I've been considering for quite some time to join forces with the CM7 development and I propably will once I feel Swedish Spring is "good enough".

Guest JayGB1982

I was just looking at other forums and the Droid range as well as HTC products are often customised.

Is one ROM really going to rule them all?

I personally don't think so... This is THE oppertuniity for MoDaCo to be the online resource (kitchen) for the blade...

CM7 does a good job, however with the additional help of devs like KK etc the Blade's personal development will only increase surely?

For now I find CM7 unstable... Constant rebooot issues, radio not working , wifi etc... Surely with the knowledge of Froyo customisation etc these devs could port those findings to Gingerbread?

I think now / this is the perfect opportunity for MoDaCo to provide a Andrioid 2.3.3 Kitchen.

From a user perspective as well as a devs... Other Communities / Phones have multiple ROMS...

So why not us?

Edited by JayGB1982

Guest hecatae

you have just contradicted your own request,

think of CyanogenMod like this: it's not a rom, it's a source that anyone can help develop.

if AOSP was Debian, CyanogenMod would be like Ubuntu, based on Debian but improved usability and functionality.

so custom rom development should only be looked at when CyanogenMod is declared stable, otherwise you are duplicating a lot of work that would be better submitted to CyanogenMod source to benefit the whole custom rom community.

Guest Twiggeh
I agree... I've been considering for quite some time to join forces with the CM7 development and I propably will once I feel Swedish Spring is "good enough".

Great news!

Guest jayhix
I was just looking at other forums and the Droid range as well as HTC products are often customised.

Is one ROM really going to rule them all?

I personally don't think so... This is THE oppertuniity for MoDaCo to be the online resource (kitchen) for the blade...

CM7 does a good job, however with the additional help of devs like KK etc the Blade's personal development will only increase surely?

For now I find CM7 unstable... Constant rebooot issues, radio not working , wifi etc... Surely with the knowledge of Froyo customisation etc these devs could port those findings to Gingerbread?

I think now / this is the perfect opportunity for MoDaCo to provide a Andrioid 2.3.3 Kitchen.

From a user perspective as well as a devs... Other Communities / Phones have multiple ROMS...

So why not us?

You aren't ad-free so you wouldnt benefit from said kitchen anyhow..?

Guest Sebastian404

Hey! don't go too far :D

Guest HCDR.Jacob
Offended?

The implication seems to be that my work and Tom's work is s***. I'm quite offended. Maybe I should follow cyanogen's footsteps and quit Android.

Guest JayGB1982

No not s***

I'm just thinking that MoDaCo could be THE place to have a ZTE Blade / San Fran Kitchen for 2.3.3

I didn't say that its rubbish... In fact it's come a long way with the help of devs like yourself...

Why not pool that resource together?

You could all have your own individual flavour ROM's but serve them through these forums...

Lots of other Phones... Nexus S / Desire HD etc already have custom 2.3.3 kitchens.

I don't think one exists for the Blade at present... For me NOW is the time to create such a service..

Guest vareBlade

Lets get CM7 stable 1st and then fragment it? rather than do a fragmentation now and then try to fix 150 different problems in 150 different roms based on CM7?

just saying

Guest kallt_kaffe
The implication seems to be that my work and Tom's work is s***. I'm quite offended. Maybe I should follow cyanogen's footsteps and quit Android.

I assume you are offended by the original post and not that I hope to be able to join in? Something that I hope is OK?

Do you have some forum, mailinglist or similar where I can join in? My phone is now converted to Gen2 and the official TeliaSonera 2.2 is not operator locked so I going to compile a Gen2 kernel for VMSPLIT_3G and see if I can get it running with the RIL libs from that ROM (Gen2 phones cannot use Gen1 ril libs)

Guest t0mm13b
>>> SNIP

I don't think one exists for the Blade at present... For me NOW is the time to create such a service..

That's a bit selfish right now, as still CM7 is under heavy development efforts... NOW, its the time to get the CM7 fully and 100% stabilized by providing feedback and help/assist HCDRJacob and Tom_G for their efforts.... without feedback, there'd be no CM7 for the blade... forget about the kitchen for the moment.... concentrate on getting this fixed...

just saying....

Guest JimJam707
I assume you are offended by the original post and not that I hope to be able to join in? Something that I hope is OK?

Do you have some forum, mailinglist or similar where I can join in? My phone is now converted to Gen2 and the official TeliaSonera 2.2 is not operator locked so I going to compile a Gen2 kernel for VMSPLIT_3G and see if I can get it running with the RIL libs from that ROM (Gen2 phones cannot use Gen1 ril libs)

Join them in the freenode channel #zteblade

Guest skyhacker

I think this post is BS, CM7 was the first (and only this far) Gingerbread rom for the blade, yes the nightlys are unstable I agree with that but that's exacly the point, if you want stable stick with RC or if that isn't good enough go back to stock rom, the CM team is working very hard to bring 2.3 to Blade and I am VERY thankfull for that, any deviation from that will bring fragmentation and more bugs to the project

Guest HCDR.Jacob
Join them in the freenode channel #zteblade

Yeah come in kallt, look forward to your help.

btw I was just trolling yesterday. I hate this forum though, and Paul. The kitchen is just a fancy word for a zip utility ;D

Guest Matty-p
I think this post is BS, CM7 was the first (and only this far) Gingerbread rom for the blade, yes the nightlys are unstable I agree with that but that's exacly the point, if you want stable stick with RC or if that isn't good enough go back to stock rom, the CM team is working very hard to bring 2.3 to Blade and I am VERY thankfull for that, any deviation from that will bring fragmentation and more bugs to the project

the first stable ish gingerbread rom not the first full stop

Guest Roo13
The kitchen is just a fancy word for a zip utility ;D

Couldn't agree more, first as a noob i thought "wow, wonderful to be able to build custom rom that easily..." and now that i'm still a noob and read and experiment few things thanks to the wide community i understood a drag'n'drop makes the same...

i take advantage that devs of the CM7 are posting here to thank them for the very good work they're making.

Guest HCDR.Jacob
the first stable ish gingerbread rom not the first full stop

Yours doesn't really count. I did a dirty port for the Wildfire from the SDK as well, I wouldn't call it a ROM. All you have to do is transplant a boot image

Guest kallt_kaffe
Yeah come in kallt, look forward to your help.

btw I was just trolling yesterday. I hate this forum though, and Paul. The kitchen is just a fancy word for a zip utility ;D

I will as soon as things cool down a bit...

Anyway, get the two RIL-related libs from here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1654793 (It's the official telia 2.2 libs)

Then have a look at this commit on my kernel git: https://github.com/kalltkaffe/blade-kernel/...c752c80e55efb3f

That's all you need to get CM7 up and running on Gen2 blades...

Guest Fou-lu

Nothing's wrong with the current way CM7 is being developed, since 25+ its been coming along nicely, a kitchen is just a easier way to remove and add files, you can do that manually, let the devs join forces not split..