[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest Casterina
in the cyanogenmod settings, in the application part, as im using a2sd, what should the settings be? thanks.

I set it to external :)

Guest igor_anta
I set it to external :)

If you're using Darktremmor A2SD then you should absolutely set this to internal. If you just use the native CM7 A2SD then external is better. Cheers!

Guest James Kei
@totiadrenalin: fantastic, its all working with cache+apps on SD, I can't thank you enough!! :)

@James: See page 15 of this thread. Basically you need to open, say in winrar the rom, delete /data/apps. this will delete whole /data directory but don't worry, just recreate empty /data directory (still in winrar). Now download the launcher totiadrenalin gave us (page 15 again I think) and add it to /system/apps folder. Now close the rom zip file you opened with winrar > recovery mode > wipe (factory reset+cache) > flash this modified rom > wipe (factory reset+cache) > continue with totiadrenalin's instructions

*IMPORTANT: bear in mind that you need to type su before doing 'a2sd reinstall' from the term emulator. Also, my phone did not recognise 'reboot' command at the end so I manually rebooted.

That should get it working for you.

It's amazing what you can do when the apps+ cache are properly on the SD card. My remaining issues (which you may already be aware of):

-skype not working: app opens but auth failure logging in

-camera/video not working: white screen

-angry birds stops unexpectedly on startup (maybe I'm asking too much of this phone..)

EDIT: I just tried putting zeam launcher.apk in /system/app instead and it boots asking for default launcher. Select zeam and your there. I personally think its faster than Launcher Pro but do not have benchmarkrs to proove my theory! All I can say is Launcher Pro kept hanging last night setting wallpaper. Installed Zeam and (same config+ wallpaper image) and it seemed to handle it fine. Apps drawer appear faster too.

great work guys!! Gingerbread is beautiful and CAN be fast enough with your help!

Peter

Peter, thanks for the instruction, I will keep waiting a revised version of your for CM7, by the way, I fallback to CM6 RC2 which was almost perfect for U8220, apart from not able to function as SHARE AP wifi due to kernel, and bluebooth not able to transfer files.

Also, I may get a U8220-R6 version to try out, see the larger ROM partition help.

Keep up the good work.

:)

cheer

James

Guest Casterina
If you're using Darktremmor A2SD then you should absolutely set this to internal. If you just use the native CM7 A2SD then external is better. Cheers!

Okay , I set it to Internal now :) Thankss!

Guest pedrojaime

@James: thank you for your kind comments, I tinker and I fiddle to try and learn :)

Good news Angry birds fans, I cracked this one last night. The application does not like to be moved to sd card, must be run from phone to work. Takes a while to load up but is perfectly playable once started.

If you have jerky graphics, boost your performance by disabling other processes. I did this by following this 'Freezing' method explained here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...2459&page=1

WARNING: Be aware that this is dangerous and you should do a full clockwork backup before venturing into this dangerous ground since there is the potential of disabling a critical system service rendering your phone useless until you re-flash the rom

Thankfully we haven't got all the bloatware with Cyanogen that comes with carriers like ATT or phone vendor crapware.

Nevertheless, I was able to 'freeze' the following without ill-effects, giving me a faster and more responsive phone, faster application startup and no lag using the dialer or keyboard anymore:

Android Keyboard (I seem to have got away with this since I only use touchpal)

Bluetooth share

camera 1

certificate installer

[Alarms] clock (note this will only inactivate alarms, not the clock in the status bar)

cmstats

cyanogenmod notifications

drm protected storage

DSPManager

FOTA Kill (for overr-the-air updates AFAIK)

gallery (does not kill wallpaper)

google one time init (app that comes up prompting for install of various google apps?)

google partner setup (is this for anything other than google adsense/adwords??)

home screen tips

html viewer

latin input method tutorial

desktop launcher (I believe you will need this if you use launcher pro, I am on Zeam Launcher instead)

Live wallpaper picker (live wallpapers are a pretty-but-useless feature IMO that eat away at your CPU and RAM)

Market, market apps installer, market feedback agent & market updater (enable if you need market)

News and weather

Pico TTS (text to speech)

Search (I find I do not need it)

Setup wizard

Sound Recorder

theme chooser

theme provider

TTS Service (text-to-speech)

voice dialer

VPN services

What you need and don't need will depend on how you use your phone. I try not to use 3G too much unless I have to and rely more on wifi.

*Note you can disable Rom Manager too and still reboot into Recovery mode to make backups though the aplication will not appear in the list of apps so you won't be able to edit the backup filename.

If anyone knows of any others that can be frozen safely please let me know!

Also, has anyone managed to get skype to login and make calls? I would really like to hear from you! Mine keeps crashing with this rom build (run from phone or from SD card) This apk: http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2010/10...droid-phone.php was working over 3g for me on 2.1 and 2.2. Does someone have the cyanogen bug link to check if reported issue/report it as a bug? thanks

hope this helps someone,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest AntonioPT

Just a quick update: I have compiled CM7 final but it bootloops, so I'll have to delay the release until I figure out what's wrong.

Guest totiadrenalin

I found a way to make this phone running much smoother.

First you need to create a swapfile on the sdcard

Use swapper2 for example

Then a2sd noswap

next thing

two simple scripts need to be created and placed in /system/etc/init.d/

1st.

#!/system/bin/sh

if [ -e /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb ]

then

/system/xbin/echo "2048" > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb;

fi;
And save it as 77sdcardspeedfix 2nd.
#!/system/bin/sh

echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness;

mkswap /sdcard/swapfile.swp;

swapon /sdcard/swapfile.swp;

and save it as 98swap

to do this you will need RootExplorer or create the scripts on your computer and then adb push them to /system/etc/init.d/

Don't use windows notepad or wordpad to write the scripts.

Use some linux text writter or maybe you can use the visual C++ for example.

The 1.st script will boost the w/r speed of the sdcard, by taking the buffer to higher level. - only the FAT partition!!!

In this case 2048KB / 2MB

And the second script will mount the swapfile on boot.

Don't try to edit some other device - (partition) you will brick your phone.

I'm serious.

Higher buffers the higher amount of ram it'll consume will be.

The best value of the swap file will be somewhere between 32-64MB

and the swappiness 15-45

but the best swappy is 30

Cheers

EDIT 1:

Sorry guys.

I didn't read the post from Antonio about the official cm7 rom and the bootloop problem.

So I've just deleted that part of my post.

EDIT 2:

The value of the buffer size can be set from 128 KB to 4096. Any higher buffer level will decrease the performances.

But I would suggest you to set value 2048 or 3072 (KB)

The problem with to big buffer will be the ram memory lack.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest pedrojaime
Okay , I set it to Internal now :) Thankss!

I am using DT A2SD. Are you talking about Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Application > Install location?

Why internal? What does this setting mean? Many thanks

EDIT: Does this mean 'internal to Cyanogenmod7 settings' or 'internal to A2sd settings'?

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest Casterina
I am using DT A2SD. Are you talking about Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Application > Install location?

EDIT: Does this mean 'internal to Cyanogenmod7 settings' or 'internal to A2sd settings'?

Cyanogen settings..

Guest igor_anta

Yes, set it to internal in Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Application > Install location. DT A2SD will work as it should when Android installs apps to internal memory, the ext partition DT is using fools the OS that it's part of it's own internal memory. If you make Android install apps to external then DT A2SD only works partially.

I'm personally using DT A2SD with apps to ext partition and cache from internal memory, it helps me to control the amount of apps I install so the phone doesn't slow down too much :)

Guest eckengucker1

Thanks toti. Works under 2.2 too and seems indeed smother. It improves especially the desktop loading. With SD Tools and a c6 card I got 7.3 MB/s writing speed and 14.2 reading speed before I had 6.9 /13.9.

Guest will8578

a question, if cm7 moves the apps to the sd card, is there a need for a2sd for apps, can you just use it for swap, or is it better to use than the cm settings, ie move to sd card?

also what size and swappy would i need if just using swap?

thanks in advance for your help

Edited by will8578

Guest Casterina
a question, if cm7 moves the apps to the sd card, is there a need for a2sd for apps, can you just use it for swap, or is it better to use than the cm settings, ie move to sd card?

also what size and swappy would i need if just using swap?

thanks in advance for your help

Yeah, there is a need for apps on sd because the internal memory on the pulse is very small.. by having apps2sd, this means you can store more apps to your sd card :)

For the SWAP size.. I set mine to 98mb for multi tasking, if you go any higher, then you will suffer unresponsive with your phone.. 64mb is enough if needs be... as it that will keep all your apps in the RAM. Swappy set it to 0 - 30.

Guest will8578

yeah but what im trying to say was a2sd not really for before froyo? because from froyo onwards you can move apps without a2sd, or when you install a2sd it overides everything?

Edited by will8578

Guest Casterina
yeah but what im trying to say was a2sd not really for before froyo? because from froyo onwards you can move apps without a2sd, or when you install a2sd it overides everything?

When you try and move apps to sdcard, it depends on the developer of the app whether he/she wants the app to run from the sdcard or not. DTAPP2SD moves the apps regardless...

Guest totiadrenalin
When you try and move apps to sdcard, it depends on the developer of the app whether he/she wants the app to run from the sdcard or not. DTAPP2SD moves the apps regardless...

Also there is other option!

Link2sd.apk

This is a aplication.

It use script to link separated apps from separated sd partition to /data/app/

But be aware!

If you wan't to use this app

Don't flash dta2sd

Otherwise you will end-up with bootloop.

And in Cyanogenmod settings you have option to force the apps to be abble to bo moved into the external sd memory.

Guest totiadrenalin

I just try the Skype app.

Something wrong with some Profile group. As I could see in the logcat.

And the app force close without any warning.

I have to go to work now.

When I get home I'll check what's wrong with Skype.

Guest de_shepherd
I'm personally using DT A2SD with apps to ext partition and cache from internal memory, it helps me to control the amount of apps I install so the phone doesn't slow down too much :)

Is the dalvik cache a "proper" cache (in the way memory caches in CPUs are) ... i.e. when it gets full does it throw out something that hasn't been used for a long time to make space for the new item or is it just a dir were dalvik compilations are stored and once it gets full it can't add any more?

If its the first then I think having it internal memory may makes sense (faster access and no major space issues) but if its the latter then you probablly do want more space!

N.b. by "internal memory" is this in the RAM (in which case there probably is a space issue ... or you just end swapping it to SD which is no better than having it on the SD card to start with) or do you mean in the cache partition on the phone? (Or on another reading of the a2sd help by "internal memory" it may mean that dalvik simply does the JIT compile and doesn't store its results in any cache).

So I think the choice comes down to is SD card faster/slower than internal flash for cache partition and secondly is just recompiling everytime faster than both! Probably depends on SD card speed ... I've "class 2" - but since moving to the "CM6plus" ROM its gone back to reporting itself as class 6 (6MBs write 14MBs read) in SD card test!

Guest Casterina
Is the dalvik cache a "proper" cache (in the way memory caches in CPUs are) ... i.e. when it gets full does it throw out something that hasn't been used for a long time to make space for the new item or is it just a dir were dalvik compilations are stored and once it gets full it can't add any more?

If its the first then I think having it internal memory may makes sense (faster access and no major space issues) but if its the latter then you probablly do want more space!

N.b. by "internal memory" is this in the RAM (in which case there probably is a space issue ... or you just end swapping it to SD which is no better than having it on the SD card to start with) or do you mean in the cache partition on the phone? (Or on another reading of the a2sd help by "internal memory" it may mean that dalvik simply does the JIT compile and doesn't store its results in any cache).

So I think the choice comes down to is SD card faster/slower than internal flash for cache partition and secondly is just recompiling everytime faster than both! Probably depends on SD card speed ... I've "class 2" - but since moving to the "CM6plus" ROM its gone back to reporting itself as class 6 (6MBs write 14MBs read) in SD card test!

Dalvik cache is the data of the applications stored by the OS.

Guest de_shepherd
Dalvik cache is the data of the applications stored by the OS.

Done a bit more research ... its not the data ... dalvik-cache appears to be an optimized version of the byte codes for the app where things like common functions between more than one app are resolved to point to the same code etc plus various bits of pre-linking is done. Thus it is something that needs to grow with the number of apps so moving it to SD is probably a good idea.

The JIT (which converts these bytecodes into something more efficient - possibly direct ARM code) is something different ... on reflection I'd already realized this as there's a dalvik-cache even if there's no JIT.

Guest Casterina
Done a bit more research ... its not the data ... dalvik-cache appears to be an optimized version of the byte codes for the app where things like common functions between more than one app are resolved to point to the same code etc plus various bits of pre-linking is done. Thus it is something that needs to grow with the number of apps so moving it to SD is probably a good idea.

The JIT (which converts these bytecodes into something more efficient - possibly direct ARM code) is something different ... on reflection I'd already realized this as there's a dalvik-cache even if there's no JIT.

Would you say, for performance purposes.. it would be better off to keep the dalvik cache on internal memory?

Guest rulerofkaos
Would you say, for performance purposes.. it would be better off to keep the dalvik cache on internal memory?

I have better performance with dalvik cache on system (CM6), altough i have got a class 6 sdcard.

Guest totiadrenalin

The answer is yes!

You are right!

But The buffer of the data partition is 128 KB, translated to I/O performance = Not Good!

Why?

Well, with the disk benchmark app I test the speed of the NandFlash internal memory.

And with 4Kb buffer I get 0.28 (MB/s) write, and 2.33 (MB/s) speed.

When I perform the test with 1024 KB = 1MB buffer, I get 2.36 (MB/s) write, and 64.52(MB/s) read speed.

Just to compare it with class4 sdcard:

With 1024 KB buffer I get 6.03 (MB/s) write, and 61.17 (MB/s) read speed.

Just imagine what will be the numbers when I use my class6 sdcard.

Well?!

With 1024 KB Buffer I get 8.4 (MB/s) write, and 97.16 (MB/s)

But the bad thing is that you can control only the buffer size of the FAT partition, and the internal NandFlash memory.

(/dev/block/mmcblk0p1)

And the default value of the buffer of all partitions (external and internal) is 128KB.

And just to compare the speed of our RAM memory.

With buffer only 4KB, I get 149 (MB/s) write, and amazing 254 (MB/s) read speed.

And why bigger buffer size is boosting the speed performances of the I/O filesystem?

Because the buffer is using the ram memory.

When you write something on the Internal or external memory, first the data is stored in the buffer, and then from the buffer onto the internal/external memory, same thing with reading data from the internal or external memory.

If the pulse had bigger ram. 512MB for example.

The best option would be to put some script in init.rc to create a tmpfs (temporarily file system) partition - (which is using the ram as storage).

About 100 MB or, even less (still 412MB of ram memory will left, or more).

And each reboot the script to create and mount that partition, and make a directory named dalvik-cache and sim-link it to /data/dalvik-cache .

But our Pulse have only 107MB of ram. And this will left like a unrealized dream!

You can decide now what option would be better for you!

To keep the dalvik-cache into the internal nandFlash memory or to link it on the ext partition of the SDCARD?!!

Edited by totiadrenalin