Using the Amazon Appstore from outside the US (including paid apps)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jay3gsm

Other than being able to get the free App a Day thing, is there any other benefit to signing in to the Amazon App Store? Do they have a range of apps not included in the normal Android Market?

Guest secany

confirm the alternative way working. And it's easiest.

Add: have to turn on 1-click setting on mobile:

try to purchase any free app, then it will ask for that, just click the link,put ANY mobile number with +1 like +17537483535 then press turn on and done :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vogueboy
confirm the alternative way working. And it's easiest.

Add: have to turn on 1-click setting on mobile:

try to purchase any free app, then it will ask for that, just click the link,put ANY mobile number with +1 like +17537483535 then press turn on and done :)

Thanks a lot for this and the OP, worked like a charm here B) and I'm in Brazil :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest targetbsp

An American friend of mine just came up with a great idea for buying paid for apps! I have an account setup with all the fake alternate details from post 1 so cannot pay for anything. So he sent me a a gift certificate and the 1click buy on the website used that instead of checking the card. :)

Guest jusumgeezer

I would just like to post my success with this, never really thought of trying it before, it's actually a lot easier than it sounds, made a gmail.com (US) addy. Made a Amazon.com (US) Account. Used Apple's address for my home & card billing. Used a Discovery card number from the test card page.

Everything registered fine, downloaded the appstore from the link here & just installed my first free app of the day!

Brilliant!

• 1 month later...
Guest The Soup Thief

I wonder what happens to this free $2

Amazon appstore has a bit of a reputation for sharp practice in discounting developers apps without their say-so

If you buy an app with your free $2 I wonder whether the developer makes $2 (less the Amazonian commission) or whether the developer takes the hit ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Slipurson

Did this some time ago and it works nicely with the alternative way as long as you dont want to buy some game, havnt tried getting myself a US CC, so i cant say if it works from sweden or not :)

THANKS!!

Edited by Slipurson

• 4 weeks later...
Guest IIIIkoolaidIIII

Thanks for the guide Paul, really should of searched for this a long time ago, rather than you telling me about it via twitter. I can now get the free app of the day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest jamoiholland

Great stuff, working for me with Google's address, "+1" as the phone number, and the first AMEX test card from the PayPal list (the Visa ones didn't seem to work).

Thanks Paul!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeremy123

This worked great for a couple months but the last three days the purchases would fail. I had been putting off updating to the 2.1.0 version which kept appearing in the notification area because I thought it might break this method but because I couldn't get the free app any more I thought I had nothing to lose but the new version just force closes all the time.

Guest rameses

This worked great for a couple months but the last three days the purchases would fail. I had been putting off updating to the 2.1.0 version which kept appearing in the notification area because I thought it might break this method but because I couldn't get the free app any more I thought I had nothing to lose but the new version just force closes all the time.

Still works for me if I connect using my Private VPN (from Modaco Plus). Otherwise the app fails to authenticate. I wonder if the latest update checks for the region.?

Guest The Soup Thief

Can confirm they are now checking IP's.

I am in Australia and it now only works VIA VPN to US. If I turn off VPN purchase fails.

Yeah - it's been bust for me too from Ireland. VPN here we come...

Yeah - it's been bust for me too from Ireland. VPN here we come...

Working just fine for me from Australia with no VPN.

I have not updated the app to the latest version - I just ignore the daily Update reminder notifications.

Guest rameses

As a test I changed the cc to a test amex account and that works without the need for the VPN. (as mentioned above) but when switching back to a visa, it needs the VPN. Never thought I'd have need of an amex account :-)

Guest silverrow

I noticed this problem too, today. As suggested by some others above, I put in a test amex card number, and it worked. No need for vpn. Thanks for the tip :-)

Edited by silverrow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest masterpfa

Thanks for the tip, until now using this app from the UK resulted in the "This application is not available in your region", however since changing Credit Card to Test AMEX , back on track.

I only go for the free app of the day anyway