Thinking of returning it on repair

Guest Touch Graphite

Guest Touch Graphite

After finally popping into my local PCW/Currys to actually see if they got the Vega on display, decided to have a play and see whats it like back in OEM land.

And its the final nail in my coffin over my 1st gen dodgy screen touch edge problem. Just a quick type test on the stock one is immediately different, no double tap on any letters and the space bar works.

They agreed to take it on as repair through the store which, unlike some people, I am not going to do a stampy foot and demand a fresh replacement in my hands within minutes of complaining. They can have it for 30 days to repair it for all I care.

Also, having a quick rip on a Motorola xoom instore, without logging in to access the market and gmail apps, honeycomb is MINTNESS and the vega needs it otherwise its getting left behind, low price or not. You really get a feeling of the difference between a stretched OS compared to something thats built for the tablet.

Now with most returns racking up scores, has anyone had theirs returned for repair over dodgy screen issues and had complete unit replacements or simple hardware screen replacements!?

Guest montage

Getting left behind by software that supersedes it... Thats like saying windows xp is getting left behind by windows 7.

Why oh why people feel the need to compare a Vega with a price point of £199 to £250 to something that's £500 and runs a latest release of android is beyond me. Its double the price so i'd expect it to be a lot better than a bit quicker and a bit of wizz and flash here and there.

Guest Touch Graphite

I tried 1.09 on mine like the store one, its been reported time and time again that the hardware screen has been changed.

The minions in store even agreed.

I'm just giving my opinion on honeycomb after USING it rather than watching youtube videos of presentation in gadget conventions.

Just saying its worth the work, especially on a 10" device.

Guest Bobby Elliott
I tried 1.09 on mine like the store one, its been reported time and time again that the hardware screen has been changed.

The minions in store even agreed.

I'm just giving my opinion on honeycomb after USING it rather than watching youtube videos of presentation in gadget conventions.

Just saying its worth the work, especially on a 10" device.

The Vega is great fun and a modders wet dream but it's really only a stop gap until cheap second generation tablets come along around Xmas time, when you will get a Honeycomb tablet for around £200-250. So, no regrets here. The low price makes it great purchase but much better will follow. One thing it has taught me -- I love tablets. :-)

Guest gofasterdog
After finally popping into my local PCW/Currys to actually see if they got the Vega on display, decided to have a play and see whats it like back in OEM land.

And its the final nail in my coffin over my 1st gen dodgy screen touch edge problem. Just a quick type test on the stock one is immediately different, no double tap on any letters and the space bar works.

They agreed to take it on as repair through the store which, unlike some people, I am not going to do a stampy foot and demand a fresh replacement in my hands within minutes of complaining. They can have it for 30 days to repair it for all I care.

Also, having a quick rip on a Motorola xoom instore, without logging in to access the market and gmail apps, honeycomb is MINTNESS and the vega needs it otherwise its getting left behind, low price or not. You really get a feeling of the difference between a stretched OS compared to something thats built for the tablet.

Now with most returns racking up scores, has anyone had theirs returned for repair over dodgy screen issues and had complete unit replacements or simple hardware screen replacements!?

I bought two VEGA's in December last year. One was for a friend, who took it away and gave it back some time later complaining about the double presses etc. Until I tried it myself, I assumed it was user error, but the screen was really twitchy compared to mine.

In March after reading forums here, I called up PCworld, and told them the issue, they told me it if i took it instore they would give me a replacement or refund.

I took the tablet in the following day with the invoice, and they swapped with a new unit that I tested before taking away. The difference is like night and day.

I was very pleased with the no hassle swap, even after owning it for several months. It seems because it is a recognised issue by Advent, they have no problem just swapping it out for another.

Guest BTatHome

Is there any way of identifiying a "new" screen apart from actually playing with one?

Maybe a new hardware revision on the box or sonething like that?

Guest serialkillazzs

my one bought from dixons online for 200 delivered seemed fine with original firmware and modaco r8 v1.09

but it would be interesting if there was a program or system info on device to tell if your vega has new screen.

any ideas?

Guest Gavjbrown
I bought two VEGA's in December last year. One was for a friend, who took it away and gave it back some time later complaining about the double presses etc. Until I tried it myself, I assumed it was user error, but the screen was really twitchy compared to mine.

In March after reading forums here, I called up PCworld, and told them the issue, they told me it if i took it instore they would give me a replacement or refund.

I took the tablet in the following day with the invoice, and they swapped with a new unit that I tested before taking away. The difference is like night and day.

I was very pleased with the no hassle swap, even after owning it for several months. It seems because it is a recognised issue by Advent, they have no problem just swapping it out for another.

What is meant by the term double press. Is it like when you hit the keyboard it does thiis?. Or that sometimes you have to hit the screen twice.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Touch Graphite

Bit of a lengthy update.

After visiting a store without my tablet to enquire, they told me to ring a number as I ordered it from the website.

30 minutes, 4 departments and £15 call later and they ask me to take it into a local store.

The local techguy didnt know jack about anything with the vega, I shown him the screen issue with the 'multi-touch visualizer 2' app and he agreed there's a problem.

They wont replace it in the store of via delivery terms as I'm one of the first that bought it (back in November) and had 6 months ownership.

But then he told me to RING A NUMBER! to get it collected from my house! Talk about annoyed!

It was collected 2 weeks ago and now had a text message 'that a repair has been carried out' and will be delivered on 9th May.

The conundrum continues!

Guest Mark_L
Bit of a lengthy update.

After visiting a store without my tablet to enquire, they told me to ring a number as I ordered it from the website.

30 minutes, 4 departments and £15 call later and they ask me to take it into a local store.

The local techguy didnt know jack about anything with the vega, I shown him the screen issue with the 'multi-touch visualizer 2' app and he agreed there's a problem.

They wont replace it in the store of via delivery terms as I'm one of the first that bought it (back in November) and had 6 months ownership.

But then he told me to RING A NUMBER! to get it collected from my house! Talk about annoyed!

It was collected 2 weeks ago and now had a text message 'that a repair has been carried out' and will be delivered on 9th May.

The conundrum continues!

I got mine in december and I finally got round to taking it back to the store last week.

The double press issue was annoying but I lived with it by installing another keyboard.

What made me finally return it was trying to play vendetta online on it. It seemd to be extremely tempremental towards the bottom of the screen, the same problems emerged in dungeon defenders.

I purchased it online from PC world in December, and my local pc world\currys store accepted it back for a repair.

Apparently (according to the chap in the shop and his computer) there is a known issue about the screen and it being over-sensitive, especially with the power plugged in.

It sounds to me like the service you recieve depends HEAVILY on your local store and who you speak too.

If you dont get any joy at one store, try taking it back to a different one.

Guest Touch Graphite

Yeah your 'known problem on the computer' was probably mine being reported with some weight at my local store and through the 4 departments over the phone, eahc one writing down the same issue I was explaining.

The computer at my local store said nothing on the issue though.

Anyway its gone and its coming back, whether its a new unit or the same, I don't know.

I got a feeling its going to be a boomerang delivery if its the same though, I'm not giving up.

Guest riggsy
Bit of a lengthy update.

The conundrum continues!

I also dropped my Vega in to local store 2 weeks ago after becoming increasingly frustrated with double-tap problem. Vega purchased in December and problem has existed from day one. Staff in local store had zero knowledge of the vega and were not aware of any ongoing issues with screens from the early batches. To cut a long story short,I have also received a text message to say the device has been repaired and will be ready for collection on 10th may,will let you know how I get on.

Guest zzleezz

I pretty confident that the units you get back will be brand new or maybe a reconditioned unit. They will not waste time sending these off for repair.

I was one of the "stampy footed" ones that pushed a bit harder in store for an immediate exchange. I wasnt rude, just persistent. Also I was lucky enough to be served by a lady that took the time to find out what was going to happen to my broken vega when it reached the repair shop. In the end the magic words are "code 5". If you have to take your vega back, for whatever reason, and they tell you its going to be sent off and you wont see it for weeks then tell them that you know for a fact that DSG considers any return of a vega to be a code 5. That means exchange as they dont repair them anyway.

Guest Touch Graphite

Yeah I totally agree you with you here lee.

The text message sounds just something standard that they send back, whether its a repair or just a replacement.

I didn push hard in the store, but the more they resisted, the more I pushed and then the more they were adamant not to give a replacement. The fact that it was store bought didnt help, but the time scale really sealed the deal.

I wasnt there when they picked it up, but the pickup guys are proper, they dont take the whole product in the box, they only take the tablet and the charger and then seal it inside some box infront of you so whether I get a replacement just like this or in a box has to be seen.

If its a re-conditioned unit that's not my own, I hope there's a way to find out, because if it is, its going back.

Guest rilot

I think I'm going to take mine back too. I have the double tap issue and when I drag my finger to scroll, 50% of the time the tablet registers it as a series of taps which inevitably results in me selecting whatever I scrolled over.

Guest Unipete

Got my Vega in mid Jan and have put up with the screen sensitivity and using while charging issues mentioned earlier for too long now, (thinking it was user error to start with).

After reading this thread I'm now decided that I am taking it back. I've invested more money too, ( case, screen protector, dock, 32gb sd card etc ), so I want the thing to work properly!

If they get shirty or drag their heels I'll have to remind them that fundemantally the screen issue makes the product not fit for purpose.

I'll let you know how I get on.

* sets off for PC world muttering code 5*

Guest Unipete
Oh dear! What have I started!

I think you've started an exodus of all the owners that were/are putting up with a touchscreen device without a properly functioning touchscreen to beat a path to DSG's doors to get it sorted.

Well done!!

Guest zzleezz
* sets off for PC world muttering code 5*

LOL :mellow:

I think that when I had my first Vega I was waiting for a software update to be released that would fix the screen issues. Maybe thats what most people have been holding out for. Now that it has come to light that the issue is a hardware one then all it comes down to is that if you have a problem as described above you have a faulty Vega.

If its faulty, then it really should be taken back. I can see DSG sending a big box of these faulty units back to Shuttle OEM with a notice on them reading "BROKEN, PLEASE REPLACE THESE". so I doubt that DSG will be very bothered in the long run...

Guest pdej

My Vega has just joined the "repair" club too. I took it in as my accelermeter has stopped working two or three times in the past month and I've had the double tap issue too, although perhaps not as bad as others, or maybe I just haven't used it as often when it is plugged in.

Anyway the guy in my local store took it in for repair as they are no longer code 5. He didn't really know anything about them, or their problems as this was the first one returned to my local store. Anyway, I couldn't be bothered pushing for instant exchange as he was very decent compared to many of the staff there.

I'll miss it, but if it sorts out the issues it'll be worth the wait!

Guest rilot

Walked in to my local PC World and got mine swapped this morning. It took a big of persuasion to get them to swap it there and then though.

Guest gitf@ce
Walked in to my local PC World and got mine swapped this morning. It took a big of persuasion to get them to swap it there and then though.

Care to share your tactic? I'm in for a replacement too...

Guest rilot
Care to share your tactic? I'm in for a replacement too...

I just started quoting the Sale of Goods Act when they started talking about sending it away.