Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest css771

Just to clarify, I'm on the previous V3 TPT layout currently, and have a nandroid backup. can I flash the V4 TPT but replace the blank userdata.img with the previous nandroided userdata.img, or will this cause any problems with the md5 or anything else?

Guest digital0
Just to clarify, I'm on the previous V3 TPT layout currently, and have a nandroid backup. can I flash the V4 TPT but replace the blank userdata.img with the previous nandroided userdata.img, or will this cause any problems with the md5 or anything else?

Why do it in such possibly complicated way? Just do TPT, install your ROM and restore data only with nandroid advanced restore.

Guest u116040

V4 seems to be less than 2Mo bigger than stock GEN1, it is ok ?

Do you know/it is possible to know the last usable offset ?

My bad, stupid post.

For those who are interested, simple partitions summary (stock gen1&2, v3, v4) & calculation joined.

Partitions.xlsx.zip

Edited by u116040

Guest css771
Why do it in such possibly complicated way? Just do TPT, install your ROM and restore data only with nandroid advanced restore.

Complicated? I thought it was easier that way :mellow:

Guest wbaw
Complicated? I thought it was easier that way :mellow:

You would need to replace system.img boot.img & userdata.img.

But the tpt boots straight into clockworkmod, so you can just backup using clockworkmod, tpt & then restore, it seems easier to do it that way.

Edited by wbaw

Guest css771
You would need to replace system.img boot.img & userdata.img.

But the tpt boots straight into clockworkmod, so you can just backup using clockworkmod, tpt & then restore, it seems easier to do it that way.

Right yes, besides system and boot is what I meant. Thanks :mellow: Thought it was easier coz it skips one extra step.

Edited by css771

Guest wbaw
Right yes, besides system and boot is what I meant. Thanks :mellow: Thought it was easier coz it skips one extra step.

But it adds the extra step of copying/renaming the files, so you wouldn't really save much.

Guest css771
But it adds the extra step of copying/renaming the files, so you wouldn't really save much.

Ah well if you think like that :mellow: Anyways got it done. Thanks for the mod :o

Guest wbaw
My new partition layout with cpg appsboot.

Partition-Info:

CACHE: 15 mb

SYSTEM: 150 mb

USERDATA: 290 mb

OEM: 0

but why? :mellow:

Guest wbaw
Because 138 mb system for Cyanogenmod is not enough, if install new google apps

Those aren't new google apps, those are old ones & totally unsupported, you don't want to install them like that, it is doing it wrong, they're outdated now & it will waste storage space on your phone. 138mb system gives you over 2mb free space on system after installing the proper gapps package (and you don't need any free space on system). These are the google apps that you should use

What is the point in wasting 15mb for cache? It only gets used for storing log files for clockworkmod & they wont be bigger than 1mb.

Edited by wbaw

Guest LexS007
What is the point in wasting 15mb for cache? It only gets used for storing log files for clockworkmod & they wont be bigger than 1mb.

Ok, I can edit cache)

Guest AndyGB

Any chance someone can add a mirror for CM 7.0.3 TPT. FileSonic keeps telling me i'm already downloading something when I'm not.

Thanks for any help.

Guest wbaw
Ok, I can edit cache)

2mb seems ideal for cache. It wont mount if it's under 1.25mb due to file system overhead & sometimes it runs of of space if it's under 2mb.

Seriously, you should use the new gapps package i linked to above, it has a new gtalk package, it'll also install the market google apps on data which means that you're not wasting space when they have updates. It'll leave you with 2mb free if you have a 138mb system partition.

If cm7 gets much bigger, then it'll need to be edited, but for now cpg's partition layout seems perfect.

Guest wbaw
Any chance someone can add a mirror for CM 7.0.3 TPT. FileSonic keeps telling me i'm already downloading something when I'm not.

Thanks for any help.

It'll have to be somebody else ... I'm busy uploading N63 to filesonic & then mediafire. I've got a slow upload speed anyway & even slower today, so it'll be hours. Also, I accidentally deleted that file from my pc when I was doing the n63 tpt.

Guest u116040

It seems that V4 forces splash to be at 0x01a6, it is possible to change this ?

Edited by u116040

Guest wbaw
It seems that V4 forces splash to be at 0x01a6, it is possible to change this ?

It is possible, but it's not very simple. It was cpg who edited that. Here's a quote from the pm he sent me about it.

The splash location is hardcoded in an instruction at offset 0x1932. That specific ARM instruction contains a 1-byte constant and a shift mask.

In the gen2 one it is 0x87 << 2 which is 0x21c. In the original gen1 appsboot (and my modified one) it is 0xCF << 1, which is 0x19E.

You could use the original gen2 version and just change that single byte to put splash at any location from block 0 to 0x3FC with increments of 4, or change mine for locations from 0 to 0x1FF with increments of 2. However, provided 4.5mb each for recovery and boot is enough, you might as well just leave it at the original location (0x19E).

After he sent that pm I asked for a version with boot & recovery as 5mb (as they are normally in gen2), so splash ended up at 0x01A6.

Edited by wbaw

Guest wbaw
For those who haven't noticed, hecataes pinned windows gen2 flashing thread now has a safe method of downgrading to Gen1 that does not suffer from the corrupt IMEI problem and is about as easy as a windows Gen2 upgrade. It's awesome that cpg has found a way to enable fastboot on Gen2. What this means that there are now significant benefits to be gained from flashing something other than stock Gen2: the ability to use fastboot, 15MB of extra storage space, and the ability to use TPT. It would be nice to easily give people with stock Gen2/windows upgraded phones (which there will be more and more of) a way of enjoying these benefits.

wbaw: Besides the risk of losing the IMEI (which can now be easily avoided), is there any reason why your TPT files could not be flashed via windows to a Stock/windows upgraded Gen2 blade?

If not, then I will create a set of files for flashing a stock/windows upgraded gen2 phone with your TPT files and get them in hecataes post (or possibly try to get a new pinned topic). That way people who bought gen2 phones or upgraded with windows can stay Gen2 and get 15MB, fastboot, and TPT in one step.

If you flash all the files as they are then it should work in the same way as a gen1 downgrade. Untested of course & I can't/wont test it. If the gen2 downgrade works as reliably as advertised, even on stock gen2 phones, then that would be the way to do it.

However, if you take the appsboot & partition_zte from this package, then mix them with gen2 files (gen2 oemsbl & partition.mbn in particular), it is likely to brick your phone. A proper gen2 compatible appsboot.mbn with fastboot mode could be created, but recovery (and all the other partitions) need to start at 0x01CC rather than 0x0156 & the splash image needs to be back at 0x019E.

Guest u116040

I guess that modifications around 0x7DE8 are fastboot related, but do you have something about 0x1934 ?

Could cpg make more discoveries public ? :mellow:

Edit: related to shifting (?)

Edited by u116040

Guest osf_123

Unable to flash the files. Menu and volume+ button gets my phone stuck at the default screen.

Can we use Clockwork to install the zip?

Edited by osf_123

Guest dadashi
Unable to flash the files. Menu and volume+ button gets my phone stuck at the default screen.

Can we use Clockwork to install the zip?

no, you can't install the zip...you have to unpack it on to the root of your sd card, stick the card into your SF, take battery out, stick it back in, press vol+ and power...and it installs Gen2 automaticaly

Guest osf_123

Now I am confused. Is it volume+ only or menu and volume+?

Pressing power with volume+ or menu and volume+ gives me a blank screen.

Guest KACE_231
Now I am confused. Is it volume+ only or menu and volume+?

Pressing power with volume+ or menu and volume+ gives me a blank screen.

Pres and HOLD, Menu and Vol+ together, then press the power button, usually the green text is instant

Guest wbaw
Pres and HOLD, Menu and Vol+ together, then press the power button, usually the green text is instant

Some phones don't display the green text the first time you flash, it is just a blank screen, but it still works (so don't interrupt it, give it 10 mins if unsure). It'll show green text the second time.

Menu & Vol+ is required the first time you TPT flash a new phone, after that you only need to hold Vol+ & power on.

Edited by wbaw