Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest k0zmic

I tried to install Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip , but something go wrong so now I can just see Clockworkmod, because I wiped all the data, before I backup. Please help

That's whats meant to happen because the TPT doesn't install a ROM as part of the process. Read my post above for what you should do.

Guest KopCity

AFAIK there isn't.

I'd suggest the following.

Download Swedish Spring, as it's Gen 1 and Gen 2 compatible.

Click Mount USB Storage in recovery mode. Plug the USB into phone and computer.

Drag the Swedish Spring ROM file onto the SD Card.

Unmount USB Storage.

Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Select Flash .zip from SD Card and then flash yes.

Download Mr Pigfish from the Market to confirm you're on Gen 2. If you are go crazy and install Ginger Stir Fry or CM7 or any other Gen 2 ROM.

Thanks and sorry if i was offensive.I'm really stressed about this though

Guest k0zmic

point proven!

same happened to me

That's what's meant to happen.

It's because the Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip doesn't install a ROM for you unlike the All In One TPT's further down the first post.

It just upgrades your phone to Gen 2 and installs a compatible recovery mode. No ROM.

There are slightly different instructions for each set of TPT's.

I quoted the instructions for the All in One TPT above but bolded the installation part that's the same for both sets of TPT's to illustrate that it won't work if flashed with Clockworkmod and people seem to use that method more often since it's less hassle since a ROM is installed in the process.

Thanks and sorry if i was offensive.I'm really stressed about this though

That's okay. I can understand why.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest KopCity

Probably Ginger Stir Fry.

Mr Pigfish says you have a Gen2 model(sold with android 2.2)

So what do i do now to download stir fry?download the ZIP,copy to root of my SD CARD,go to recovery mode?full wipe?install from SD card n thats it?

you need to do a full wipe right?

Guest k0zmic

Mr Pigfish says you have a Gen2 model(sold with android 2.2)

So what do i do now to download stir fry?download the ZIP,copy to root of my SD CARD,go to recovery mode?full wipe?install from SD card n thats it?

you need to do a full wipe right?

That's it.

Full wipe.

Enjoy.

Guest digital0

Because you don't flash the TPT .zip file in Clockworkmod.

wbaw, could you please make another type of archive for TPT files, for example 7zip (o rar, but I don't like it because it's not free software)? It will not be zip and people will not be able to try to flash it in recovery.

Edited by digital0

wbaw, could you please make another type of archive for TPT files, for example 7zip (o rar, but I don't like it because it's not free software)? It will not be zip and people will not be able to try to flash it in recovery.

zip is the most compatible, it can even be unzipped on the phone so they dont even need a computer, not everybody has 7zip. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, while trying to make sure they check the files so that it's less likely to kill the phone. If they can't read & follow simple instructions, there's no hope. I don't think .7z would make any difference to these guys & it'd make it harder for some other people.

Also, every time I do a new version people think they need to 'upgrade' even if there's no real noticeable difference.

It isn't hard, stop doing it wrong.

Edited by wbaw

If somebody thinks that they can rewrite the instructions to make it clearer & easier to follow, it'd be very welcome. I'll include it in the first post. Something totally idiot proof so that nobody gets confused & tries to do it wrong. I know my writing isn't great, but I don't know how I could make it much clearer or easier to follow.

Guest Ray-man

If somebody thinks that they can rewrite the instructions to make it clearer & easier to follow, it'd be very welcome. I'll include it in the first post. Something totally idiot proof so that nobody gets confused & tries to do it wrong. I know my writing isn't great, but I don't know how I could make it much clearer or easier to follow.

There's nothing wrong with your instructions, It's just that many of us newbys are very apprehensive about making changes we neither understand or can be sure won't brick the phone. Getting wound up makes mistakes amost inevitable, or at least that was my experience. I suggest that anyone attempting these processes for the first time should write each sequence down then thoroughly check that they've included every step before starting, then follow the sequence exactly as instructed. It's not totally foolproof but should eliminate most of the mistakes.

Newbys reading this post can be assured that wbaw's upgrades work very well - just make sure that you follow all of the instructions!

Edit: Message for wbaw, This is not intended to imply any dissatisfaction with your excellent work but If you really would like someone to write a revised set of instructions, I may be able to help. As a complete novice thats just been there and succeeded I should be able to produce something for you to review and it would perhaps mean that I could make a small contribution to a great forum. Just let me know and I'll get to it.

Edited by Ray-man

I think there's always room for improvement. I'm not the best at writing idiot's guides (no offence meant to anybody). I don't think it's bad, 99.9% of people seem to be able to follow it correctly, it's just there are a few similar types of questions from the other 0.1%. Not everybody is great with technology, or has English as their first language.

With some questions it can be hard to work out if there is a real problem, or if they just found a new way to do it wrong.

Maybe there is somebody with a tech support background could make it all clearer, it would be appreciated.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Ray-man

I think there's always room for improvement. I'm not the best at writing idiot's guides (no offence meant to anybody). I don't think it's bad, 99.9% of people seem to be able to follow it correctly, it's just there are a few similar types of questions from the other 0.1%. Not everybody is great with technology, or has English as their first language.

With some questions it can be hard to work out if there is a real problem, or if they just found a new way to do it wrong.

Maybe there is somebody with a tech support background could make it all clearer, it would be appreciated.

Please take a look at my edited post above, I think I may be able to help.

Guest k0zmic

Any suggestions on how I can improve the instructions & make them clearer are very welcome.

Don't flash the TPT's in recovery e.g. Clockworkmod or they will not work could be written somewhere.

Clarify that the custom TPT (first one) DOES NOT install a ROM for you.

Screenshot of where to put the TPT contents. (Attached, although it's not very good).

Add that it usually does not make sense to upgrade to a newer TPT version e.g. v7 to v8 as the changes are minor.

Those few are all I can think of for the moment.

Instructions for a TPT.

1.) Download the relevant TPT, the ones that are All in One install a ROM as well as installing a recovery and upgrading to Gen 2.

The first ones (Custom & Stock) only install a recovery and upgrade to Gen 2. They DO NOT install a ROM.

2.) Download the TPT. Verify the file is not corrupt by checking the MD5 (Use this in Windows). Compare the MD5 output in that program (or equivalent) with the MD5 posted on the first post to the relevant TPT. If it doesn't match then STOP. Re-download it.

3.) Extract the TPT in a compression program e.g. 7-Zip. It will create a folder called 'Image'.

4.) Drag and Drop that whole folder onto the root of your SD Card (so it looks like below). If you are using the custom or stock TPT's (one of the first two) then also drag and drop your ROM of choice into the root of your SD Card.

5.) Turn off the phone.

6.) Hold Volume Plus/Up and Power to start the process.

7.) If you used the All in One TPT your phone should now begin to boot up into the ROM you selected. It will take a while and don't read on.

8.) Those who used the custom or stock TPT you should now be rebooted back into recovery (ClockworkMod). Don't stress, this is meant to happen.

9.) Select Data/Factory Reset to perform a full wipe. Select Flash .zip from SD Card and navigate to the ROM you placed on your SD Card earlier. Confirm & Flash.

10.) Wait for it to boot. It may take a few minutes.

11.) Enjoy.

post-658373-0-75612800-1312442030_thumb.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest targetbsp

Looks good to me except with regards to the suggested step 3, the zip file contains a folder called image. There shouldn't be any renaming to do. :)

I only bring this up because if the user had to rename then they probably used the extract to zip file name option ending up with Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom\image which after a rename would be image\image and probably wouldn't work? And would confuse later attempts to help them when you ask if they have a folder called image and they say yes. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest digital0

Don't flash the TPT's in recovery e.g. Clockworkmod or they will not work could be written somewhere.

Clarify that the custom TPT (first one) DOES NOT install a ROM for you.

Screenshot of where to put the TPT contents. (Attached, although it's not very good).

Those few are all I can think of for the moment.

2 more:

If you TPT-upgraded to GEN2 before, you can use a newer version later, there is no need to go back to GEN1 first (quite often asked question).

Please don't ask ROM (CM7) support questions here (a link where they should be asked can be given here), this thread is only for gen1->gen2 conversion, and it only happens that 'All' version installs ROM too.

Guest k0zmic

Looks good to me except with regards to the suggested step 3, the zip file contains a folder called image. There shouldn't be any renaming to do. :)

I only bring this up because if the user had to rename then they probably used the extract to zip file name option ending up with Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom\image which after a rename would be image\image and probably wouldn't work? And would confuse later attempts to help them when you ask if they have a folder called image and they say yes. :D

Ah yes, very true.

Amended and thank you.

I'm glad that was the only mistake (so far) since I was writing it while eating breakfast :D.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest mjm1483

Asked on the GSF thread but didn't get a response - don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I downloaded the GSF all-in-one upgrade - when unzipping to the SD card I get a copy file error which says:

'An unexpected error is keeping you from copying this file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error

boot.img

Type: Disc Image File'

Then I have the option to Try Again, Skip or Cancel.

Is this normal? Please help!

Asked on the GSF thread but didn't get a response - don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I downloaded the GSF all-in-one upgrade - when unzipping to the SD card I get a copy file error which says:

'An unexpected error is keeping you from copying this file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error

boot.img

Type: Disc Image File'

Then I have the option to Try Again, Skip or Cancel.

Is this normal? Please help!

Download 7-zip & use that to extract it - http://7-zip.org/

Thanks k0zmic & others that helped him. I'll edit the first post & use those instructions as the base (I'll edit them a bit) sometime over the weekend.

Guest jet601

bought my san francisco yesterday, and used the tpt, worked like a charme, keep up the goog work

small question, if I want to flash 19B ( not the TPT) i'll just put the zip file on the SDcart and boot with power and vol - and do the rest in clockwork right ??

grtz a noob