Unlock from O2

Guest SandLake

Guest SandLake

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question - but I don't know where is

I have an HTC Desire supplied and 'branded' by O2. I am going to America later in the year and would like to buy a local sim to put in my phone, I have done this on previous phones by getting them 'unlocked' but I don't think that is relevant with the Desire

Would installing a ROM be the equivalent thing to do?

I am not impressed with the way O2 drag their feet with the Android upgrades and can't really see anything that they add to the Desire so I would quite like to ditch them anyway.

Am I on the right lines or barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Guest blackcoffee85
If I run this sim unlock utility, I assume that the phone still 'knows' about O2 and will get OTA updates from them?

Yeah, that's built into the ROM. Sim lock is completely separate.

Guest bpivk
o2 don't tend to sim lock their phones so I'd try a different networks sim in it first before you shell out for any tools.

Shelling out for tools is dumb. Period. Because it's available free of charge on xda.

Guest trstn
Shelling out for tools is dumb. Period. Because it's available free of charge on xda.

Didn't think of XDA, but borrowing a mate's sim card to check saves time too :P

Guest SandLake

I used the 'free' tool from XDA and while I had a few issues with the instructions, it all worked fine and a spare Orange sim I have now works fine in my O2 phone.

Thanks for the help