[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest godmode

Great work chaps. Are we meant to be able to get into clockwork recovery via rom manager with this beta or are we still doing the adb shell recover_2 method? I only ask because rom manager reboot to recovery doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Guest Pyr0x64
Defimately getting more hard lockups in the beta might try making the changes someone suggested to init.rc if the tablet thinks it has 1gb of memory rather than 512 that would be an obvious proble so halfing the values makes sense.

i made the suggested changes to the init.rc but i've still had a couple of hard lockups where i've no choice but to turn it off

here's the modified boot.img if anyone wants to try it *shrug*

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18465580/AdventVeg...gaComb/boot.img

[edit] just had another hard lockup starting playback of an avi over the network, tried to adb logcat, but adb isn't seeing any devices attached

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest spacecadetuk
Defimately getting more hard lockups in the beta might try making the changes someone suggested to init.rc if the tablet thinks it has 1gb of memory rather than 512 that would be an obvious proble so halfing the values makes sense.

definitely more lock-ups for me as well, nearly every 10 mins, not complaining just an observation, trouble is it's so good when it works i really don't want to go back to my previous set-up

Guest Dickins

My device is stuck in boot loop saying "Android".

Shal wait for another release and try again, i've flashed the device 4 times now and no luck.

With the rate you're release new versions I don't mind waiting for Beta 2

- Dickins

Guest Panayioti

On this beta i have only a few lockups (3 times since it had been released) but this might have been because on corvus5 i always had it 1.5ghz so my vega might have adapted.

Guest boroboy

This is doing my head in!! I cannot install adb as it says a need java blah. Installed java sdk and still says the same.

Anyone?

Guest warriorscot
QUOTE(warriorscot @ May 15 2011, 12:49)

The Kernel hasn't changed from ALPHA4 to BETA1, so if you are experiencing more lockups it shouldn't be down to the Kernel. HOWEVER, I've learned not to rule ANTYHING out when testing, so if you do make these changes and it helps the situation, please let me know!

newbe5

I edited the init.rc file but used some different values than those suggested, not sure how much memory an N1 has but the vega is 512mb so the values should just be half that neccesary for a 1Gb ventana or harmony device.

So the values should be more along the lines of

setprop ro.FOREGROUND_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.VISIBLE_APP_MEM 12800

setprop ro.PERCEPTIBLE_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.HEAVY_WEIGHT_APP_MEM 8192

setprop ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_MEM 10240

setprop ro.BACKUP_APP_MEM 8192

setprop ro.HOME_APP_MEM 16384

setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 12800

# Write value must be consistent with the above properties.

# Note that the driver only supports 6 slots, so we have HOME_APP at the

# same memory level as services.

write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj 0,1,2,4,7,15

write /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory 1

write /proc/sys/vm/min_free_order_shift 4

write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,3072,4096,6144,7168,8192

I left the last line along as I am not 100% sure how to handle it without reading the documentation. I think there will probably be a few things like this where it thinks that its a 1gb tablet rather than a 512 so is trying to use more memory than it has a quick run through the code to track down and optimise for 512mb will probably help a lot. Don't have the time to create a new boot.img with the changes right now but if someone wants to try they are welcome to give it a go.

Guest SamH

Firstly thanks to newbe5 & Corvus for their development of this ROM. Absolutely fantastic!

I'm also missing the Google Calendar app.

Anyone know how to extract it from the system.img in the alpha builds?

Guest simonta
This is doing my head in!! I cannot install adb as it says a need java blah. Installed java sdk and still says the same.

Anyone?

Please excuse the bluntness but there are lots of people squawking at the moment. Your question is as useful as a Vega with no software.

What operaitng system are you using? At what point do you get a message about Java? What is the exact message?

Edited by simonta

Guest simonta
Firstly thanks to newbe5 & Corvus for their development of this ROM. Absolutely fantastic!

I'm also missing the Google Calendar app.

Anyone know how to extract it from the system.img in the alpha builds?

The system.img is packed with YAFFS. Google for an UNYAFFS tool for whatever OS you are using.

Guest Hopelessness

Anyone?

When it says that, click back and then next. It's an SDK bug.

Guest simonta
I edited the init.rc file but used some different values than those suggested, not sure how much memory an N1 has but the vega is 512mb so the values should just be half that neccesary for a 1Gb ventana or harmony device.

So the values should be more along the lines of

setprop ro.FOREGROUND_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.VISIBLE_APP_MEM 12800

setprop ro.PERCEPTIBLE_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.HEAVY_WEIGHT_APP_MEM 8192

setprop ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_MEM 10240

setprop ro.BACKUP_APP_MEM 8192

setprop ro.HOME_APP_MEM 16384

setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 12800

# Write value must be consistent with the above properties.

# Note that the driver only supports 6 slots, so we have HOME_APP at the

# same memory level as services.

write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj 0,1,2,4,7,15

write /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory 1

write /proc/sys/vm/min_free_order_shift 4

write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,3072,4096,6144,7168,8192

I left the last line along as I am not 100% sure how to handle it without reading the documentation. I think there will probably be a few things like this where it thinks that its a 1gb tablet rather than a 512 so is trying to use more memory than it has a quick run through the code to track down and optimise for 512mb will probably help a lot. Don't have the time to create a new boot.img with the changes right now but if someone wants to try they are welcome to give it a go.

I know there is a lot of work going into init.rc but I think it is probably a red herring. This configuration determines how Android behaves when you have a lot of apps running and it needs to reclaim space by shutting stuff down. They do not determine how Android allocates memory. AFAIK, Android uses whatever is available so reducing the image sizes is the only way to go.

Check out the source:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/...rootdir/init.rc

Guest HugoQueiriga

Just uploaded a video with beta 1 running on my Vega.

It is not bad, unfortunately it keeps crashing in setting when making changes and the wallpaper.

Guest phil8715

My problem is, I installed Titanium Backup and had some apps on, so I restored them back onto the Vega, switched it off and the apps wern't on the Vega when I switched it back on.

Somebody said that if I remove my sd card and re-insert it this will fix it, but would I have to do that each time?

I restored Angry Birds all three versions from Titanium Backup but when I tried to open them they just forced closed.

Edited by phil8715

Guest add.thebad
My device is stuck in boot loop saying "Android".

Shal wait for another release and try again, i've flashed the device 4 times now and no luck.

With the rate you're release new versions I don't mind waiting for Beta 2

- Dickins

Make sure to wipe b4 you flash

I must say thus beta1 is brilliant and very usable , thanks :-)

Guest simonta

For those getting boot loops, wipe the data partition in CWM AFTER you install. You'll lose the apps installed in there (see the release notes in the original post) but it's the only way some people, including me, have been able to get it running.

Guest boroboy

ok im at the clockworkmod screen. what do i do now? ive never used cwm before.

how do i transfer the download and install to vega?

thanks

Guest Subliminal Aura
i made the suggested changes to the init.rc but i've still had a couple of hard lockups where i've no choice but to turn it off

here's the modified boot.img if anyone wants to try it *shrug*

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18465580/AdventVeg...gaComb/boot.img

[edit] just had another hard lockup starting playback of an avi over the network, tried to adb logcat, but adb isn't seeing any devices attached

Hi,

Do you or anyone else happen to know how I can extract boot.img ? I'd like to inspect init.rc and make some modifications myself :unsure:

Many thanks in advance

Guest blcollier

Gentlemen, if I was wearing a hat it'd be doffed in your direction.

This is some pretty spectacular work - considering you only have ROM dumps and the SDK to work from. When there's a few more pennies to spare, I owe you both a beer. Had a few FCs so far, even in Beta1a, but I didn't think we'd be getting HC until AOSP, so I'm more than happy :unsure:

Guest phil8715
ok im at the clockworkmod screen. what do i do now? ive never used cwm before.

how do i transfer the download and install to vega?

thanks

Do this:

Do a Backup

Wipe User data and cache

Wipe Dalvik cache this can be found it the advanced menu

After that go back one screen and and select install zip rom from sd card scroll down to VegaComb then install

then when it finishes you need to manually reboot it. Press the power key to do the reboot

After reboot it should say Android then it should go into the VegaComb screen which should be green.

To scroll use the volume up-down buttons and to enter use the power button

Edited by phil8715

Guest jinkyjim

Thanks for all your hard work corvus and newbe5,

Honeycomb on the vega looks great, a couple of apps FCs, but everything else works great,

Edited by jinkyjim

Guest mingoid
Did you wipe Data AFTER installing? If so, you will be missing some apps, such as Youtube, Book reader and some others.

No, only before. Strangely at some point after the install Books, Youtube disappeared from the launcher. When I went to the Market I could install youtube but its the phone version.

In /data/data/ and data/apps there's nothing that refers to youtube... :unsure:

Edit- Never mind, I've reinstalled from the img file in alpha 4 extracted with yaffs, thanks to those above!

Edited by mingoid