[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest spacecadetuk
I tried the first beta and I got flash video working on the BBC site by double tapping to go full screen

i just tried that with iplayer and it sort of works, it plays and you can see it but it looks like an old vhs tape thats been sat next to a very strong magnet for six months,

the sky news app plays video fine in the app

Guest Andy Tang

Newbie question... sorry!

how do you modify the CPU speed?

Everything seems to running fine for me at the moment, but will report back with any issues.

Guest le_lutin

Really liking this new beta. Was ready to switch back to froyo after the last vegacomb beta, but can honestly say i'll be happy to stick with this as my daily driver.

Had a few lockups so far, but only minor grievances. Haven't underclocked yet. Is there any need to with this version?

Guest CrArC
SHHHH! I only noticed that just as I was about to push out the update, but kept my fingers crossed that nobody would notice, trust the pedants to come out to play :P

In the next version, the Honeycombs will gain an extra face! :rolleyes:

newbe5

P.S. working on the lockups, annoying as hell.

Cool! The new beta is nice, seems smoother. It can still seize up, but the memory boundary is smaller.

On beta1, things would lock up when available memory dropped below 50mb. If you could force close the app, releasing ram, it would spring back to life.

On beta1.3 things lock up when only 20mb is left, and then not as severely.

The power button is ignoring me now, as some others also said, but it's definitely more robust, this rom! Cheers!

Guest leemain88

these guys must never sleep!!!!! amazing work once again is there anything these guys cant do...........maybe a iOS port lol (JOKE) not as many freezes in 1.3 but still cant view alot of videos on the youtube app??

p.s can't believe this is a BETA....just imagine what a final build is gonna be like!!!!

Guest xathras
So good so far had one lock up from the market. But more apps work the office apps still don't but alkido did but the page was cut off at the top similar to CM7 before the bottom bar is minimised can you minimise the notification bar in honeycomb like in CM7.

This troubled me too, since reading ebooks is a major reason for me buying a tablet, and I also use Aldiko. The workaround is to go into Aldiko's settings and increase the size of the margin. All the margins are controlled by just one value, so you end up with side and bottom margins larger than you would ideally like, but at least you can read the top line of text.

Guest dragon2611
I tried the first beta and I got flash video working on the BBC site by double tapping to go full screen

Same here with the new beta, if you click the space where a video should be on the iplayer in the browser and have flash installed it will play full screen although the colour is distorted

It's like flash is actually running but something is preventing it from displaying on the page :P

Edit:

Also sometimes when I boot the vega from poweroff the digitizer doesn't seem to initialize and therefore I can't tap anything, not sure if it's already been reported yet.

Edited by dragon2611

Guest spacecadetuk
Newbie question... sorry!

how do you modify the CPU speed?

Everything seems to running fine for me at the moment, but will report back with any issues.

download cpumaster from the marketplace

Guest sipart

My test results and impressions (all after a couple of reboots to ensure everything in the OS was settled and with CPU set to 1.2ghz):

> Google Books disappeared for me this time - didn't on beta1.

> As above Flash does work in limited from (as it did in alphas and last betas) - iplayer works but in beta 1.3 I think I am getting the 'stagefright' issues I had on my ZTE Blade - offset colours a band of colour at the bottom - will dig out the fix for the ZTE blade as it was just an edit of a config file.

> Downloads in stock browser causes a FC (only tried stock) - for example try and download the direct download of beta 1.3 on the tabletrom page and I get a FC - tried other links and get the same.

> The Asus time and date widget is truncated

> Sync of bookmarks using the 'sync with Google Chrome' doesn't work - you get an extra folder in bookmarks but no sync of bookmarks (this issue in all previous builds as well)

> colour depth in backgrounds on settings pages is low (issue present in all previous builds)

> Generally feels a bit more laggy and prone to stalling than beta1 IMHO - but hey it is a beta when all said and done

> Pulse now works for Google auth to pull in Google reader RSS feeds and I like the Tablet tweaks for Honeycomb :-)

> Google Earth and Body seem stable :-)

> Am I right in saying USB should work to mount external USB sticks etc - neither (both SD card readers with microSd cards inserted) work for me (and they did on corvus5) - no great shakes but bit odd

Other than the above all is very very good and many thanks to newbe5, corvus and all the other devs for sterling work :-D

I'll be sticking with vegacomb from now on - no turning back for me

p.s recommend everyone to try Comics (in the market) and BeyondPod HD beta (http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Android/BETA/HDBeta.aspx) along with Google Earth and Body to show of the tablet features in Honeycomb

Edited by sipart

Guest Gavjbrown

Cant get past the boot screen. I installed it by going into recovery and doing the 3 wipes, then installed zip from sd.

Have I done something wrong and how can I correct it now.

Thanks

EDIT - on the 5 restart its now booted correctly.

Edited by Gavjbrown

Guest Panayioti

I want to add hotmail to email but asks me for this: pop3,imap or exchange which one do i choose? And how do i configure this?

Edit: Solved you must choose exchange then in domain/username put your hotmail address, then password, for the server type m.hotmail.com and dont forget to tick ssl(use secure connection).

Edited by Panayioti

Guest dipak2010

Props to the dev team, amazed at the speed of development, a few things to come up while testing,

Lockups more often than beta1a,

Google Books disappeared

and a couple of things already mentioned.

keep up the good work!

Dipak

Guest achromic
yes, go to the market and install ROM manager (the free one), there will be an option named Flash ClockWorld mode tap on it and will install the clockworld, then install gscript lite, make a new script and write on the lines

recovery_2

reboot

and after you execute that script you will be in clockworldmod

:rolleyes:

Phew! Yay! Thanks for that, got the slab of plastic into recovery, updated to Beta 1.3, wiped dalvik cache, then... rebooted

*Fingers crossed* oooooooooo, new boot screen, sweet :P

And..here..we..go.. nice, booted smoothly in. All in all, excellent work guys.

Guest premieral
I want to add hotmail to email but asks me for this: pop3,imap or exchange which one do i choose? And how do i configure this?

Pop3 and google search is your best bet for settings

Guest nicholson101
Pop3 and google search is your best bet for settings

Did it all automatically with no changes necessary for me!?

Guest premieral

Have to say newbe your boot image is very nice :rolleyes: and this i find to be much better than beta1a, all seems smoother and so far all improvements working nicely. Thank you good stuff :P

Guest Mr.Nike

Unfortunately seem to be more unstable this release...lots of freezing (especially with the stock browser)

anyway still good work for such fast development!

Guest BlackCat^

Lookups appear less often than before but have still had a fair few. Have clocked CPU back to 1ghz as Im still not comfortable having 1.5ghz set as default - I just have visions of PCW being less helpful with hardware replacements if something goes wrong with them knowing overclocking has been done. I know they are happy to replace knowing that a custom ROM has been used as the expect this but overclooking is a different issue and they may take a different stance.

Books took one look at me and then ran away again (was it something I said?). Cant say I would use books anyway.

I found why some YouTube vids plays and not others. The vids that have HD indicated in the bottom right of their preview slide do not play. Other vids not on HD play every time (not seen this mentioned before).

Music does not want to see my Music on the SD card now. In previous Betas I had to remove and reseat the SD and it would see the Music but this time that trick hasnt worked. Maybe something to do with the changes with the tablet seeing it as SD rather than USB now?

Its still usable as an everyday ROM as long as it gets rebooted often enough so I will stick with and sit tight for Flash to be fixed then I will be very happy.

Guest Panayioti
Unfortunately seem to be more unstable this release...lots of freezing (especially with the stock browser)

anyway still good work for such fast development!

Really i think its MUCH faster and smoother than the previous release.

Guest CrArC
Lookups appear less often than before but have still had a fair few.

With regard to lockups, it looks almost like Honeycomb is not bothering to memory manage. I can't see that it's really closing any unused processes once you're finished with them.

Seriously, there's tons of processes just sat there, and then the RAM reaches 20mb free (the new limit on Beta 1.3 in my experience) and the lockups begin.

Can anyone else confirm apps aren't really getting closed? I've been monitoring the processes and RAM usage using SystemPanel Lite - it's free.

Related: pressing the power button longer longer and firmer when waking up the tablet from snooze seems to prevent the CPU-sticking-at-minimum-frequency issue with an almost 100% success rate.

Guest kerpob

Gets quite warm... must be the overclocking.

Power button can only force close if the vega sleeps.

Market won't install.

My dad kept bees, the honeycomb cells aren't all hexagons... depends on space issues.

Look and feel are awesome.

Guest newbe5

OK, there are definitely memory management issues I need to address. 1.3 was a features release, we wanted to get the ROM base as close to fully working as we could with the changes we had made so far. the next ting we will be looking HARD at is stability, memory management and process cleanup (as well as that pesky 1.5ghz by default bug (yes, it's a bug, not intended!)). The ROM, for me, is in a fairly happy place right now, so now we need to begin the hefty process of stability checks and ripping apart the kernel to make it work in the way we need it to.

TBH, fitting HC on the Vega is not an easy task. Of all the tablets (Adam, Grab etc) we have the lowest spec. Only 512mb Nand (others have 1gb, so MUCH more cache space) and the others also have 1gb RAM. We will be doing our best from now on to make what we have so far as stable as possible, and adding more features and bugfixes along the way :P

newbe5

Guest partner2

Thank you for your work. The Rom is incredible. And I had no lockups until now with the beta 1.3.

Woking like a charm at 1.2ghz

OK, there are definitely memory management issues I need to address. 1.3 was a features release, we wanted to get the ROM base as close to fully working as we could with the changes we had made so far. the next ting we will be looking HARD at is stability, memory management and process cleanup (as well as that pesky 1.5ghz by default bug (yes, it's a bug, not intended!)). The ROM, for me, is in a fairly happy place right now, so now we need to begin the hefty process of stability checks and ripping apart the kernel to make it work in the way we need it to.

TBH, fitting HC on the Vega is not an easy task. Of all the tablets (Adam, Grab etc) we have the lowest spec. Only 512mb Nand (others have 1gb, so MUCH more cache space) and the others also have 1gb RAM. We will be doing our best from now on to make what we have so far as stable as possible, and adding more features and bugfixes along the way :P

newbe5

Edited by partner2