[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest agolding

very impressed by it, much smoother than before. one odd thing about available memory, even if i kill all the processes the available ram still decreases over time with no processes open whatsoever, wonder why this is?

Is there anyway of getting the xpad config working with this release? would love to use a controller with fpse

Guest CrArC
OK, there are definitely memory management issues I need to address. 1.3 was a features release, we wanted to get the ROM base as close to fully working as we could with the changes we had made so far. the next ting we will be looking HARD at is stability, memory management and process cleanup (as well as that pesky 1.5ghz by default bug (yes, it's a bug, not intended!)). The ROM, for me, is in a fairly happy place right now, so now we need to begin the hefty process of stability checks and ripping apart the kernel to make it work in the way we need it to.

TBH, fitting HC on the Vega is not an easy task. Of all the tablets (Adam, Grab etc) we have the lowest spec. Only 512mb Nand (others have 1gb, so MUCH more cache space) and the others also have 1gb RAM. We will be doing our best from now on to make what we have so far as stable as possible, and adding more features and bugfixes along the way :P

newbe5

Thank you - I really appreciate it! (I think we all do!!) and you've done amazingly so far.

I regret that the only help I can be is to describe the issues I've experienced and how I've got around them, but for what it's worth, the only instability issues I've had which I could attribute to hard crashes (say, the kind you might get from overclocking) has been when I've had a CPU overclocking util like SetCPU or CPU Master installed. I've had ZERO hard lock ups just leaving it at the default 1.5GHz, only the slowdowns caused by the memory issues/lack of lowmemorykiller cleanup.

I've noticed this to be true both on VegaComb and Corvus5, as well as the Modaco ROM. CPU utilities like that also increased the likelihood of the 216MHz frequency cap issue, for me!

Anyway, so far today I've enjoyed a full day of no hard lock-ups, no 216MHz cap issues and precious few memory lock-ups through vigilant management of running processes, and Beta 1.3 has made that even easier to do, so.. thanks!

Guest perrin21

Excellent work, these builds are almost nightly. It's very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing honeycomb speed up. Not totally sold on hc yet but that's a google issue. Your doing great work. Glad I got my iPad 2 to fall back on :P

Guest warriorscot

The memory management does appear to be a little screwy definitely needs optimised for the lower memory capacities on the vega. I'm curious if the other ports on the 1gb devices have the same lockup issues I am assuming its mostly just us. Shouldn't be too bad to get it tuned in for 512mb as long as nothing gets missed in the tweaking.

The init.rc changes discussed earlier are sort of effective but its only really a bit of a bad aid as it lowers the limits down when memory management becomes an issue so it doesn't try to close processes and clear more memory until it gets really short of space.

Would it be possible to integrate something similar to link2sd at the kernel/rom level preconfigured and use that so some of the capacity needs can be offloaded onto the sdcard. If you did that it would free up space and make cutting down the size much less of a priority.

Also just as another reminder to people with clock speed issues and want to lower it setcpu is free to xda members which is itself free to join so just head on over there and pick up the setcpu files and just stick them on your sdcard and install them each time you load up vegacomb.

Vegacomb is definately coming along I was actually about to load up cm7 again but with this release out I might give it another couple of days till switching back since the massive cm7 nightly update hasn't built yet anyway. Thinking about the cm7 thing actually reminds me that I saw mentioned on this thread about a google docs changelog and fixes/requests sheets like mad murdoch does which would be cool for vega comb so we can see whats happening and maybe even see if we have anything to potentially help out with.

Guest Diveokidoki

I am a little lost here do I have to install all this through my laptop or could I install is straight on the vega, Does some one have an install guide for this fine piece of work.

Have a great day...cheers!!

Jeff

Guest rnotenboom
I am a little lost here do I have to install all this through my laptop or could I install is straight on the vega, Does some one have an install guide for this fine piece of work.

Jeff

the beta 1.3 you have to install from you vega it self. If you don't know how! reply:)

Guest Diveokidoki
the beta 1.3 you have to install from you vega it self. If you don't know how! reply:)

Morgge Mr Notenboom,

i have tried to install directly but i am unable to install as i cant move the page the download link is on, so any help is very appreciated,

Bedankt

jeff

Guest Remington Steale
Morgge Mr Notenboom,

i have tried to install directly but i am unable to install as i cant move the page the download link is on, so any help is very appreciated,

Bedankt

jeff

Your vega must have a rom on it that supports booting clockwork recovery rom, so either needs Modaco R8, Corvus5 or if you already have the beta1a installed you can set up a gscript to reboot into recovery (search here I think its post number #555).

Once you have that, copy the rom zip ( do not unzip it ) onto the sdcard, then reboot into recovery.

Backup your existing rom just in case first.

Next wipe the data, cache and dalvik cache (wipe dalvik can be found under advanced) then once those are all done from the main menu choose install zip from sdcard, navigate to where you put the rom zip (its easiest if you put it in the root of the sdcard) and install.

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest rnotenboom
Morgge Mr Notenboom,

Bedankt

jeff

First what current rom do you have installed on your vega? if it is r8 or corvu5 rom you can go to

::http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-vega-vega-modaco-com/337518/mod-clockwork-recovery-3-0-2-4-easy-install-v2/::

follow the steps, after following the steps you have installed the recovery, create a directory on your sdcard from your vega named: Roms

copy the downloaded rom .zip to this directory. Now open clockworkmod rom manager and click on boot in to recovery, once in recovery install zip from sdcard and navigate to your directory roms and click on you rom clear cache and factory settings and install :P

Guest scouty6655

Hello Newbie/Corvus,

1st of all thanks for such a great work. I have been testing Vegacomb 1.3 B since last night and this is what I have noticed:

1. Was terribly slow/laggy, but after couple reboots, things got resolved. I guess there was stability issue when running at 1.5GHz. I put it down to 1GHz, works normal. Strange though, because on all the other previous Roms, my Vega worked like charm at 1.5GHz.

2. Wifi worked right away, however I noticed that after rebooting, sometimes wifi connects automatically but sometime does not. (Not a big issue for me)

3. Most of the apps work, expect few like, Polaris Office. (I would love to see Google chat with video one day.)

4. Market initially refused to download the apps, but I realized that was because of my internet.. :rolleyes:

5. Youtube app plays youtube video as far as they are not HD (I think this is already stated before). Yet videos are choppy. I guess this is because of hardware rendering support/driver which is not present?

6. Freeze only once in 2-3 hours. Perfectly acceptable for Beta :P

7. Only audio when playing flash video in browser

8. Application snapshot crashes as soon as I check it.

9. I noticed tat the Vega gets little bit warm on right side bottom

Overall, Vegacomb has come a long way in such a short time. I perfectly find this for daily use and wouldn't want to revert back to Corvus5. However, the heating issue really concerns me, especially on a fan-less device.

Once again, thanks a ton for all your work.

Cheers,

Scot

Guest RicardoP

Great work guys... Flashed Beta 1.3 last night and have the following "features":

Reboot to recovery using the app does not work for me, it just reboots.

Market refuses to install anything.

Unable to sign in to Gtalk (Google Talk authentication failed)

And a few that have already been mentioned.

Going to reflash just to see if any of my "features" disappear.

Guest RicardoP

Reflashed and now dont have su.

Market is working and can now reboot to recovery with the app and no problem with gtalk.

Will the workaround for the alpha version work now?

Guest premieral

Jeff

i think what you are saying jeff is that you cant see the download button when you go to the website on your vega, i had the same problem.

so just download it on your normal pc and transfer it across or i did find if you put the tablet in portrait mode it shows enough of the button to enable you to hit it ... just :P

Guest RicardoP
to get root working i had to do this...

adb remount

adb shell

chmod 06755 /system/bin/su

exit

Titanium then worked :P

Tried this but all I got was "chmod: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory" Any got any ideas?

Guest newbe5
Tried this but all I got was "chmod: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory" Any got any ideas?

This advice was from an old Alpha version, in 1.3 you won't need to do this :P

newbe5

Guest windin101

Anyone know of a way to disable HD video playback in the youtube app? I SD video plays ok obveosly still issues with rendering somewhere

Guest RicardoP
This advice was from an old Alpha version, in 1.3 you won't need to do this :P

newbe5

Thank for the help but Titanium all of a sudden started working properly

Guest Pinko_Commie

I'm very impressed with Beta1a, but I don't seem to be able to get it to boot into recovery in any way.

I assume I have to NVFlash back to stock, install clockwork and then flash Beta3? Or is it possible top flash beta3 over the top of beta1a using ADB?

I'm liking the Honeycomb UI very much indeed.

The only real issue I have found is the the Amazon Kindle app autorotates to upside down vertical and sticks there (i.e. so the volume buttons are on bottom right. No biggie though.

Guest Sir Gash
I'm very impressed with Beta1a, but I don't seem to be able to get it to boot into recovery in any way.

I assume I have to NVFlash back to stock, install clockwork and then flash Beta3? Or is it possible top flash beta3 over the top of beta1a using ADB?

I'm finding that in Beta 1.3 it often fails boot into recovery. The G-Script method works for me but for some strange reason I have to always do it twice. The first time it will just reboot but running the script again after the system is booted seems to work the second time. Just use:

recovery_2

reboot

(ensure SU is ticked).

Guest mxbob

The new beta is running great seems quicker and most of the random freezes are gone

Except in the browser

Every complete lockup (requiring a reboot) ive had with the new beta has been in the stock browser

I also get a force close whenever I try to download anything with the stock browser

New beta also seems to have fixed my softkeys they are all now working perfectly every time

Guest CoWPlagued
Anyone know of a way to disable HD video playback in the youtube app? I SD video plays ok obveosly still issues with rendering somewhere

I had noticed this. It's not just flash, html5 hd video files fail as well, so it's something that will get solved if and when the hardware rendering can be improved.

For now the only solution is to view videos through the browser where you can deselect HD before you click play. fairly easy to use if your user agent is tablet and not desktop.

Unless there's a key you can change in a config of the youtube app, the only way I can think of getting the youtube app to default to SD is to trick it into thinking you are on a 3g connection.

Speaking of user agent, is there a way to get the ipad option into the build as although it pains me to drop the browsing experience to that of an ipad, it might be a good solution until flash is working properly.

Guest Pinko_Commie
I'm finding that in Beta 1.3 it often fails boot into recovery. The G-Script method works for me but for some strange reason I have to always do it twice. The first time it will just reboot but running the script again after the system is booted seems to work the second time. Just use:

recovery_2

reboot

(ensure SU is ticked).

Ahhh, you beauty... Thanks.

Worked first time into recovery, now I can Nandroid and Flash.

also works from ADB, and from ConnectBot.

Guest beepo666

Can I just say a huge thank you for all the effort that's gone into this Beta. Day by day I'm using my iPad less and less in favour of my Vega now. Fantastic work! :P

Guest Ste_B
The new beta is running great seems quicker and most of the random freezes are gone

Except in the browser

Every complete lockup (requiring a reboot) ive had with the new beta has been in the stock browser

I also get a force close whenever I try to download anything with the stock browser

New beta also seems to have fixed my softkeys they are all now working perfectly every time

Exactly the same for me.

Anyone know why?