[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest SafkaFIN

Hello all. Here's my first post to the Modaco. I've been using Advent Vega now something like 4 months and I'm very pleased with it. I've been running Pauls rom R8/09 (which was nice of course:-) and after that immediately when this vegacomb was released I installed Alpha version and now I'm running Beta 1.3. I'm very satisfied with the outcome and waiting eagerly the upcoming versions. X-) It was nice when I installed the latest offical Advent Vega rom version after running alpha hc version and notice how 'pointless' the official version is.. Vegacomb and honeycomb in general is just is so much nicer in any way.

I will make a small donation for sure to show my appreciation. Keep up the good work guys! Safka from Finland :P

Guest Pavlosnl

I realy like Vegacomb on my mobii! Actually i just dont want to flash back anymore cause its so intuitive now. I take the memoryproblems as a fact at the moment and thrusting that one day there will be improvement.

Thanks devs Newbe and Corvus and others for the renewing experience so far!

Edited by Pavlosnl

Guest Tony Williams

Anyone else having problems with the sound settings? Whenever i click on setting/sound it force closes? Other than that and the power button not working i have to say this beta is pretty stable for me, haven't had the lockup problems a lot of others seem to be getting. Excellent work.

Guest agolding
Anyone else having problems with the sound settings? Whenever i click on setting/sound it force closes? Other than that and the power button not working i have to say this beta is pretty stable for me, haven't had the lockup problems a lot of others seem to be getting. Excellent work.

yeah i get that, power button not unlocking the vega? that seems to happen to me sometimes.

Guest bogdanghebea

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with my advent vega. I cant install any other custom ROM than the stock one and Modaco R8(which is booting and is working excellent).

The problem is when I am installing VegaComb Beta 1.3 or CM7 or Corvus5 I cant boot the Rom, I have a backlight screen and nothing more.

Sometime I am pressing the power button for 10-20 seconds(i read it on a topic) to make sure that I turned OFF the tablet and between one unsuccessful boot and another I observed that if I leave the tablet around 5 minutes OFF, and after I am turning it ON is booting but very slow(in VegaComb 1.3 is stoping to the splashscreen), with Corvus 5 is booting 100% but as I said very slow(the tablet is staying cca 20 seconds with backlight and after the boot anumation, etc is coming on the screen)

Have a look to the steps that I am doing to install a new ROM and tell me if I am doing something wrong !

1 install a fresh image 1.09 of a stock ROM

2. install rom manager and clockworkmod with recovery

3. starting Recovery aplication, the tablet is going in recovery mode

4. there I am doin the 3 WIPES: DATA, CACHE, DALVIK CACHE

5. Aftyer I am installing the .zip file from sdcard...

The installing process is ok,....no errors, boot the vega is not passing the boot phase anymore....only backlight . I repeat this steps for at least 15 times, and I am very frustrated.

Actually my Vega is booting only with Modacao R8 and the stock ROM and is working excellent with both of them !

NOW, please can someone give me a hand with what I am doing wrong ...

Thanks

Guest pakomen
Hello everybody,

I have a problem with my advent vega. I cant install any other custom ROM than the stock one and Modaco R8(which is booting and is working excellent).

The problem is when I am installing VegaComb Beta 1.3 or CM7 or Corvus5 I cant boot the Rom, I have a backlight screen and nothing more.

Sometime I am pressing the power button for 10-20 seconds(i read it on a topic) to make sure that I turned OFF the tablet and between one unsuccessful boot and another I observed that if I leave the tablet around 5 minutes OFF, and after I am turning it ON is booting but very slow(in VegaComb 1.3 is stoping to the splashscreen), with Corvus 5 is booting 100% but as I said very slow(the tablet is staying cca 20 seconds with backlight and after the boot anumation, etc is coming on the screen)

Have a look to the steps that I am doing to install a new ROM and tell me if I am doing something wrong !

The installing process is ok,....no errors, boot the vega is not passing the boot phase anymore....only backlight . I repeat this steps for at least 15 times, and I am very frustrated.

Actually my Vega is booting only with Modacao R8 and the stock ROM and is working excellent with both of them !

Thanks

Join the club, there seems to be an ever increasing number with the same problem and nobody has found a solution yet, I do exactly as you state and get the same result, 1.09 and now 1.10 both work,

modaco r8 works and thats about it, corvus5 cm7 and vegacomb all end up with grey screen and no attempt to boot after 20 or more restarts

cheers

Pako

Guest Nicky J
Join the club, there seems to be an ever increasing number with the same problem and nobody has found a solution yet, I do exactly as you state and get the same result, 1.09 and now 1.10 both work,

modaco r8 works and thats about it, corvus5 cm7 and vegacomb all end up with grey screen and no attempt to boot after 20 or more restarts

cheers

Pako

i think both corvus5 and vegacomb are overclocked (not sure about cm7), maybe your vega's are not up to being overclocked...?

Edited by Nicky J

Guest bogdanghebea
i think both corvus5 and vegacomb are overclocked (not sure about cm7), maybe your vega's are not up to being overclocked...?

overclocked or not the advent vegas are all the same, so why for some are working well and fr others doesn,t boots !?

Any DEV has any ideea?

Guest zaxxio
Not sure if it's just me but when I shut down my Vega the shutdown menu doesn't appear. Is this normal?

Yes, this is also happening to me... although it seemed strange at first, I now find it more comfortable!

Guest simonta
overclocked or not the advent vegas are all the same, so why for some are working well and fr others doesn,t boots !?

Any DEV has any ideea?

I've answered this a couple of times, and it's a long answer so don't want to type again. Search for thermal runaway.

You might think that one Vega is identical to another, but this is far from true. It is not only possible, it's what happens, that one Vega will have a SoC which will run quite happily at 1.8Ghz, another which will fail at 1.2Ghz. The manufacturer only certifies 1GHz.

Guest .stu

CM7 allows you to set the max cpu speed up to 1.5GHz (or is it 1.4?) but is defaulted to 1GHz.

Guest Remington Steale
CM7 allows you to set the max cpu speed up to 1.5GHz (or is it 1.4?) but is defaulted to 1GHz.

Just because it lets you do it, doesnt mean its necessarily a good idea.

Besides you wont really see an awful lot of difference between 1ghz and 1.5ghz.

Setting the maximum to 1ghz and the minimum to 312 with setcpu makes a far more noticeable difference.

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest thwacker
Hello everybody,

Thanks

I had 2 new Vega tablets last night onto which I loaded Corvus5 using the alternative to CWM method.

If you ave CWM, use the other way, if not, use this.

Unzip the file and use install-x where x is your operating system. If windows doesnt recognize the tablet use the usb drivers that are into the zip. This is the way that Modaco ROM is installed so if you have problem, please go to its post to see how to resolve.

It was quick and easy and worked fine for me. Normally I use CWM to install ROMs but this method was quicker on a new Vega. Once you've loaded Corvus5 then you can use CWM through ROM Manager to install VegaComb.

Edited by thwacker

Guest CoWPlagued
I've answered this a couple of times, and it's a long answer so don't want to type again. Search for thermal runaway.

You might think that one Vega is identical to another, but this is far from true. It is not only possible, it's what happens, that one Vega will have a SoC which will run quite happily at 1.8Ghz, another which will fail at 1.2Ghz. The manufacturer only certifies 1GHz.

Spot on, 1.5Ghz is a huge increase in speed without a significant increase in core voltage. I'd expect a 1Ghz chip to run somewhere into the tolerance of 20% so you'd probably be unlucky if you couldn't clock over 1.2Ghz, but there are some chips that are barely stable at 1Ghz alone. You also have to consider other elements like the voltage regulation that may be better on some systems than others due to using multiple vendors for internal components, don't assume because it looks the same on the outside it's got the same components on the inside. And then there's physical factors like the quality and positioning of thermal compound. I can remember a few cases where the plastic film between the thermal compound and heat sink wasn't removed on some laptops during manufacture, which wasn't immediately apparent as it still worked just well enough for standard use.

People also need to realise that the 1.5Ghz clock speed is a bug! Corvus wanted the build to boot at stock 1Ghz and have the ability to scale to 1.5Ghz but a bug has caused it to boot at 1.5Ghz even if you set it to 1Ghz. He is going to address this issue as a priority as soon as he gets back from holiday. So people with issue with the VegaComb rom, just hold off for a while until the kernel bug is fixed and try again.

Guest iemand met een pov

Help please :-)

I put the corvus zip file on SD, ran the software upgrade. and screen went black immediatly. Waiting for 20 minutes now and trying to restart but notinh is happening anymore......

Does anyone have a clue what i can do now?

Kind regards,

Guest Remington Steale
Help please :-)

I put the corvus zip file on SD, ran the software upgrade. and screen went black immediatly. Waiting for 20 minutes now and trying to restart but notinh is happening anymore......

Does anyone have a clue what i can do now?

Kind regards,

What rom did you have on the device before you tried to install the corvus zip?

Did you have a stock rom with no root access, I'm guessing yes since you tried running it from software update?

Guest thedannydavies

Hi,

Just loaded the Beta 1.3 onto my vega. Mostly fantastic but apps won't install from the market. Any tips on how to fix this? Internet connection is fine, BTW.

Guest Lennyuk
Hi,

Just loaded the Beta 1.3 onto my vega. Mostly fantastic but apps won't install from the market. Any tips on how to fix this? Internet connection is fine, BTW.

I had this problem too, and the only fix i found was to wipe and reflash again. Worked fine second time round.

Guest le_lutin

I've got USB host mode working on honeycomb via the back button on boot trick (press power, wait for screen to light up, then hold the back button til fully booted). Reads my usb pen drive fine.

My question is, how can I make this change permanent? I'd much rather have usb host as the default rather than usb slave.

Edited by le_lutin

Guest iemand met een pov

Thanks for the tips.....stupid me !!!!! followed the Youdig manual, went back to factory, and then installed again the way I should have doen the first time.

Working perfect now !!!!!!

Guest thedannydavies
I had this problem too, and the only fix i found was to wipe and reflash again. Worked fine second time round.

It did indeed! Many thanks for the advice :P

Guest premieral
I've got USB host mode working on honeycomb via the back button on boot trick (press power, wait for screen to light up, then hold the back button til fully booted). Reads my usb pen drive fine.

My question is, how can I make this change permanent? I'd much rather have usb host as the default rather than usb slave.

Dont reboot :P

Guest bojjob
Hello everybody,

Thanks

DO IT STRAIGHT FRROM R8 NOT STOCK.

Guest sandanpa

after a few attempts managed to have a running Beta3 ,but it is much slower and it freezes a lot compared to Beta1, with Beta1 2300-2600 in benchmark ,with beta3 1600-2000 with both versions clocked at 1ghz.

some flash movies work some dont didnt managed to find a pattern ,

does anyone know if it uses both Cores of the CPU ?so why it lags...

Guest iemand met een pov

Its running and its great !!!!!

Mail and agenda sync without problems and interface is quick !

Huawei card (UMTS and GPS) working instantly !

Great Rom !!!!!

Thanks guys !