[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest Durbybard

Ok, my first post so hiya all, i'll start with some tips to get vegacomb 1.7 on your vega.

First off, make sure you have the modded stock rom (check this forum) downloaded and somewhere you can find it.

Now for getting the vega into flash mode, make sure the vega is powered on and booted, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE USB CABLE FROM VEGA TO PC CONNECTED, hold the power button down till the unit is off (don't use the power off onscreen) as soon as the screen goes black release the power and hold the back button down for 2 secs (count 1 2) then hold the power button down for 2 secs (count 1 2), then let go of the power button and then the back button, your screen will be blank.

A tip for above is to have your sound on your PC/Laptop up high and windows sounds on, as when you power down you here a chime to say the the usb has disconnected, then hold the back button as described, then power, when you hold the power, you get the windows usb connected chime, thats when you know your ready in flash mode, alot easier than trying to do it without sound as i mostly end up powering the unit back on, hehehe, so hope this helps....

So once you are in flash mode, double click the modded stock rom you have and let it do it's thing, once done boot the vega and let it get to main screen, now i power off my vega and reboot it, why, cos you've just done a fresh install of a rom and you don't know what may or may not be working properly, but a fresh reboot should mean the vega is ready to use, go to your apps and run recovery which reboots to clockworkmod, once the screen is up DO NOT REMOVE THE CACHE, THE DATA AND THE DALVICK CACHE like you did for previous custom rom installs, it's won't install properly, just tab down to install from sdcard, find the 1.7 rom and install, thats it, wait and you should have 1.7 installed...

OK so the reason for my post is to ask about Vegacomb 1.7, i can get it installed no problems, but once i reboot a couple of times i get launcher errors and have to force close which i think is my wireless as i have to redo all the setup each time i reboot, as for everything else, seems to work fine except recovery app(will get to that in a min)

I want to know is why did you use the modded stock rom for the vega 1.7 (yes i know for an extra 30mb of data space for the partition) but it messes up everything, i can't install the modded stock rom and install say vegacomb 1.7 then can't do a backup cos the recovery apk i have used to install all the other roms inc vega 1.6 works but not on vega 1.7, just won't install, i have tried to find the latest version but can't(spent ages going here and there for it)

I wanted to install the modded stock, then install modaco r8, corvus5 sp1 and vegacomb 1.7 to show my brother and his iPad2 what an android tablet can do side by side, sadly all i can do is install the original stock rom and R8, Corvus5 and Vegacomb 1.6 all backed up.

So maybe i am wrong, but can you use the modded stock rom and install modaco R8, Corvus5 as well???? and can anyone help with the recovery apk app to get to clockworkmod to do backups and restores, it's funny how the modded stock rom has recovery installed and ready to go, but yet vegacob 1.7 doesn't, unless i am missing something cos i can't find it, or maybe i have had bad installs of vegacomb 1.7 which should have the recovery app preinstalled.

Anyway, a big thanks to all who have helped with vegacomb 1.7(you guys should a have a donation place, not just for newbe5 but for all, so you can divide the donations up, or all get together and have a mad drinking session to clear your heads LOL) i love the commitment, and the android 3.0 makes 2.3/2.2 and 2.1 look silly in comparison, keep up the amazing work and thanks again, Chris....

Guest danz0l

Just installed the new vegacomb 1.7 and it looks good. Is there anyway to increase the fonts size ? My eyes just cant handle these smaller ones. Any help appreciated.

Guest xathras
I want to know is why did you use the modded stock rom for the vega 1.7 (yes i know for an extra 30mb of data space for the partition) but it messes up everything, i can't install the modded stock rom and install say vegacomb 1.7 then can't do a backup cos the recovery apk i have used to install all the other roms inc vega 1.6 works but not on vega 1.7, just won't install, i have tried to find the latest version but can't(spent ages going here and there for it)

There is no recovery app for VegaComb 1.7 because recovery is one of the options in the power menu (home, power off, reboot, recovery, cancel).

Guest Durbybard
There is no recovery app for VegaComb 1.7 because recovery is one of the options in the power menu (home, power off, reboot, recovery, cancel).

LMFAO, and again LMFAO, i never even saw that in the power menu options cos i always power it down holding tghe power button till it's off.

OMG i feel so stupid, i can install a custom rom, but not read hahahahahaha

Chris

Guest spacecadetuk
Just installed the new vegacomb 1.7 and it looks good. Is there anyway to increase the fonts size ? My eyes just cant handle these smaller ones. Any help appreciated.

yea just go to the apps select spare parts and you can select font size there

Guest danz0l
yea just go to the apps select spare parts and you can select font size there

Doesnt alter system wide fonts though, or at least it didnt seem to for me :blink:

So maybe i am wrong, but can you use the modded stock rom and install modaco R8, Corvus5 as well???? and can anyone help with the recovery apk app to get to clockworkmod to do backups and restores, it's funny how the modded stock rom has recovery installed and ready to go, but yet vegacob 1.7 doesn't, unless i am missing something cos i can't find it, or maybe i have had bad installs of vegacomb 1.7 which should have the recovery app preinstalled.

In Vegacomb, 'recovery' is accessed through the shutdown menu. Hold down the poer button until the menu appears and choose 'recovery'. You can install any ROM on top of the modded stock ROMbase.

Guest duvee

the wifi doesnt turn off when the screen is off (did check the option in setting)..

Anybody is having the same issue? I was kinda used to this option and now i have downloaded a widget to manually turn it off.. But since I use spark homescreen, it takes 4 touches to turn wifi off and on instead of just turning screen off and on.

To get back to Corvus icon sizes etc you have to edit system/build.prop

Lcd.density should be changed from 120 to 160 then reboot.

Root explorer in r/w mode can do this but there are other ways

Guest xathras
LMFAO, and again LMFAO, i never even saw that in the power menu options cos i always power it down holding tghe power button till it's off.

This is not good practice. When you power down using the power menu the little spinning disc means that the system is doing some "housekeeping" (to make a long story short). The "hard off" way of exiting is there so that you can switch off in the event of a system lock-up, otherwise you would have to wait for the battery to go flat.

Guest brucelee666

A couple of things on vegacomb 1.7.

Small thing if you go into settings->sound and select volume it will force close settings (edited/update - see Mrguy(tabletroms) just fixed this on adamcomb 0.2 so no doubt newbe5 will correct this).

Also another small thing in settings->storage at the internal storage "Applications" shows as "-220012544.00B".

The main thing:-

People who are having force closure on launcher as soon as vegacomb starts, been happening to me so had a look and found that this may be caused by going into setting->applications, for example on opera mobile select move to usb storage, everything seems to go fine logcat says app moved to /mnt/asec/ and when you look in directory it is there and app works fine.

The problem is when you reboot/boot the vega the launcher has a problem binding apps and force closes then re-starts itself and everything is fine.

So if you have moved an app to "usb storage" then you will probably get launcher fc or if you have installed an app that installs to "/mnt/asec/" like samurai vengeance your launcher will force close.

Until a fix either don't move apps to "usb storage" or put up with the launcher fc on boot/reboot, or possibly use app2sd or link2sd (not tried them but they should not have this problem?).

This is what I have found to cause this but if someone else can verify, make sure you have no apps in usb storage (/mnt/asec) reboot/boot vega (should get no launcher fc) move an app to usb storage then reboot/boot vega (should get launcher fc)

Edited by brucelee666

Guest SeiferTV

Just a question, is OpenOffice working on 1.7?

And have anyone tried any comic/manga application on 1.7?

I mostly use those programs on my tablet and I if they aren't working it's kind of a show stopper for me.

Guest Durbybard
In Vegacomb, 'recovery' is accessed through the shutdown menu. Hold down the poer button until the menu appears and choose 'recovery'. You can install any ROM on top of the modded stock ROMbase.

Thanks for your answer lesd, just one last question, do i have to delete the cache, dalvik cache etc as with the stock rom before i update another rom (not vegacomb 1.7) or do i just do as i'd do if installing vegacomb 1.7????

This is not good practice. When you power down using the power menu the little spinning disc means that the system is doing some "housekeeping" (to make a long story short). The "hard off" way of exiting is there so that you can switch off in the event of a system lock-up, otherwise you would have to wait for the battery to go flat.

Ah, i see, so treat the tablet like a PC and use the shut down procedure, Thanks Xarthras, good to know, new to android, only got my tablet last Thursday hehe, so still learning.

Chris.....

Guest xathras
Just a question, is OpenOffice working on 1.7?

And have anyone tried any comic/manga application on 1.7?

I mostly use those programs on my tablet and I if they aren't working it's kind of a show stopper for me.

There is no Android version of OpenOffice; search the market for alternatives (such as Quick Office).

Guest maverick6378

Hi Guys,

First off just like to say fantastic commitment from the guys especially newbe5 for getting HC on the vega and the improvements they have made with limited resources! i'm sure I speak for everyone when I say a huge thanks. I've really enjoyed the experience of HC but for me it cripples the vega a little if i'm honest and i'm finding myself using the vega less and less and just using my laptop instead as i cant be arsed with the lags and lockups. I believe that its mainly down to using software and not hardware acceleration etc etc. Also most web pages even now won't run flash and the kids like to play the flash games, the speed is pretty good but after a while gets bottlen ecked, camera doesnt work and a lot of apps dont work properly. I've also noticed that the lack of sensitivity on screen is well out, I've tried OC, appkiller, link2sd moved everything, removing auto sync etc, re-calibrating screen, wiping everything and installing rom from start but nothing really works and puts everything right.

The main reason I am writing this is as 1.7 was released newbie5's instructions were to install the modified r8 rom first, wow I installed this rom and couldnt believe how well it ran and I instantly could see a difference from HC and that was with stock launcher and no OC, yes it isnt nearly as pretty as HC, but everything works and works well and quickly. I was really hoping that someone who has the skills out there could/would build a rom that is as fast as can but is basic and allows for OC, has market and CW installed can reboot into recovery and has tweaks here and there.

I appreciate a lot of peeps will be saying corvus 5, but pior to HC I used this a lot and screen touch issues and speeds were sometimes a problem too, I've also recently tried cynagen 7 which I liked a lot but again it was no where near as quick as the basic rom I really don't know why this reason is.

For me ATM HC reminds me of when Vista came out, it was much prettier than XP but ran a lot slower and was ram hungry, MS fixed this by bringing Win 7 which is as pretty as vista but runs as fast if not faster than XP.

If R8 is our XP and HC is our Vista until we get a Win 7 (ice cream) cant we make r8 (XP) as pretty and as quick as possible (HC Tweaks, youtube app like HC, Market app like HC, launcher at the bottom etc), nice icons, nice notification bar with everything working i.e camera, flash etc?.

If so that would be amazing any other peeps in same mindframe as me?.

Thanks

Mav

Guest danz0l
To get back to Corvus icon sizes etc you have to edit system/build.prop

Lcd.density should be changed from 120 to 160 then reboot.

Root explorer in r/w mode can do this but there are other ways

Thanks for the response. I did actually do this but then all the google apps FC, its been covered in another post by newbe5 so although fixes the visual issues forces more on applications ones (market is offset too so makes it almost impossible to install anything, gmail FC etc).

I dropped back to corvus sp1 (had previously run modaco R8) but it does seem slower than R8.

Guest xathras
Hi Guys,

First off just like to say fantastic commitment from the guys especially newbe5 for getting HC on the vega and the improvements they have made with limited resources! i'm sure I speak for everyone when I say a huge thanks. I've really enjoyed the experience of HC but for me it cripples the vega a little if i'm honest and i'm finding myself using the vega less and less and just using my laptop instead as i cant be arsed with the lags and lockups. I believe that its mainly down to using software and not hardware acceleration etc etc. Also most web pages even now won't run flash and the kids like to play the flash games, the speed is pretty good but after a while gets bottlen ecked, camera doesnt work and a lot of apps dont work properly. I've also noticed that the lack of sensitivity on screen is well out, I've tried OC, appkiller, link2sd moved everything, removing auto sync etc, re-calibrating screen, wiping everything and installing rom from start but nothing really works and puts everything right.

The main reason I am writing this is as 1.7 was released newbie5's instructions were to install the modified r8 rom first, wow I installed this rom and couldnt believe how well it ran and I instantly could see a difference from HC and that was with stock launcher and no OC, yes it isnt nearly as pretty as HC, but everything works and works well and quickly. I was really hoping that someone who has the skills out there could/would build a rom that is as fast as can but is basic and allows for OC, has market and CW installed can reboot into recovery and has tweaks here and there.

I appreciate a lot of peeps will be saying corvus 5, but pior to HC I used this a lot and screen touch issues and speeds were sometimes a problem too, I've also recently tried cynagen 7 which I liked a lot but again it was no where near as quick as the basic rom I really don't know why this reason is.

For me ATM HC reminds me of when Vista came out, it was much prettier than XP but ran a lot slower and was ram hungry, MS fixed this by bringing Win 7 which is as pretty as vista but runs as fast if not faster than XP.

If R8 is our XP and HC is our Vista until we get a Win 7 (ice cream) cant we make r8 (XP) as pretty and as quick as possible (HC Tweaks, youtube app like HC, Market app like HC, launcher at the bottom etc), nice icons, nice notification bar with everything working i.e camera, flash etc?.

If so that would be amazing any other peeps in same mindframe as me?.

Thanks

Mav

I think you're missing the point. The clue is the word "beta". May I humbly suggest that you google the phrase "beta software" and let us know what you find.

Guest maverick6378
I think you're missing the point. The clue is the word "beta". May I humbly suggest that you google the phrase "beta software" and let us know what you find.

xathras, I know what the word beta means, my argument is at this point is VC actually worth having on the vega??, I know its only a matter of personal choice but I was like most when VC came out I thought must have but without decent flash, lags, FC's no camera, limited apps, its pretty but kills the android tab point. I was hoping that someone with skills could make a build to look similar to VC/HC and as pretty but with froyo functionality and with OC available, corvus 5 is a very good rom and I really liked using it but again i found it slightly laggy and had touch screen issues, where as basic r8 or even stock rom has no touch screen issues and are very smooth and quick and thats even without OC'ing and stock launchers.

Guest maverick6378
xathras, I know what the word beta means, my argument is at this point is VC actually worth having on the vega??, I know its only a matter of personal choice but I was like most when VC came out I thought must have but without decent flash, lags, FC's no camera, limited apps, its pretty but kills the android tab point. I was hoping that someone with skills could make a build to look similar to VC/HC and as pretty but with froyo functionality and with OC available, corvus 5 is a very good rom and I really liked using it but again i found it slightly laggy and had touch screen issues, where as basic r8 or even stock rom has no touch screen issues and are very smooth and quick and thats even without OC'ing and stock launchers.

And to all the devs of VC please don't take my previous post as being ungrateful as I said in my first post you guys are legends for getting a working version of VC on the vega with what you had plus newbie5 has especially been great by helping everyone on the forums, updating VC and keeping us updated and also doing youtube vids as well, can't believe he has the time, im a young dad like him and it must really be hard to do all that so hats off to him for sure.

Guest chaosss
Do steps 1, 2, 3 and 6 then go back to the main menu in CWM using the back button and select reboot and see if that works the extra steps are unnecessary given you are flashing the new base over the top of everything.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately didn't make any difference

Got the same issue did you find a solution?

No, still no solution.

However, I am now an expert at getting into NVFlash mode ;-)

For every installation I try I go back to the stock Advent Vega ROM before installing the ModdedROM needed for 1.7 (which by the works and the tablet boots etc. as per normal). It is just after I apply the update in CWM that all goes wrong.

Thanks for your answer lesd, just one last question, do i have to delete the cache, dalvik cache etc as with the stock rom before i update another rom (not vegacomb 1.7) or do i just do as i'd do if installing vegacomb 1.7????

Ah, i see, so treat the tablet like a PC and use the shut down procedure, Thanks Xarthras, good to know, new to android, only got my tablet last Thursday hehe, so still learning.

Chris.....

You don't need to delete the caches to install a new ROM. But you can delete them at aany time. Everything will run a bit slower for a while if you do.

And to all the devs of VC please don't take my previous post as being ungrateful as I said in my first post you guys are legends for getting a working version of VC on the vega with what you had plus newbie5 has especially been great by helping everyone on the forums, updating VC and keeping us updated and also doing youtube vids as well, can't believe he has the time, im a young dad like him and it must really be hard to do all that so hats off to him for sure.

I'm using Corvus 5 with SP1and Launcherpro. I've turned screen animation off. I only get lags when the CPU locks at 216MHz after a long standby. It doesn't look like HC and it doesn't have the task switching you get in HC but it is stable, and slick. Like you, I don't think VC is ready for everyone yet, but it is just Beta.