Gmail sync issues 09/05/11 on Swedish Spring

Guest Budoc

Guest Budoc

Hi all,

I've been using Swedish Spring for about a week now and so far I've been very impressed. It appears to be a great ROM and is a significant improvement over the stock 2.1 Orange ROM that came with the phone. However, tonight I have encountered a problem and so far I've not been able to solve it.

At around 7 pm tonight, I could no long sync with my gmail emails. I noticed this when I went attempted to go into my Spam folder and the contents of it wouldn't load. Gmail would stay on Loading Conversations... and not progress anywhere else. I figured that the problem was to do with syncing, so I have attempted to do a fresh sync with the server following these instructions: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/a...y?answer=113869 but I do not have Google Mail storage or Gmail storage present in Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All. I have cleared the data for Gmail and then turned off my phone, before switching it back on again. Gmail begins to sync, downloads ~80 Kb of data and then stops. In Settings > Accounts and sync settings > [my gmail address] > Sync Gmail, when it stops it either briefly puts a "sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly" error message at the bottom of the screen, or the arrows in the circular sync symbol next to GMail will stop rotating. Every time I try to do this, it will sync 80 kb of data and then stop. Could there be a problem with the Gmail servers, or is there anything else that I can try with my phone? I am tempted to leave it overnight and see whether the problem resolves itself. I have never had any issue with this before, and I have only noticed this problem as of this evening.

Any suggestions? Has anybody else had syncing issues this evening?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Budoc

Guest Budoc

To add to this reply. I have a fair bit of internal storage space left (38 MB), so I don't think that it is a storage related issue as reported elsewhere. I've left the phone running for 30 minutes now, and the sync arrows are still present next to Gmail but they are not rotating, and if I open Gmail itself I get a black screen with "Your email will appear shortly".

Guest jonas_football
To add to this reply. I have a fair bit of internal storage space left (38 MB), so I don't think that it is a storage related issue as reported elsewhere. I've left the phone running for 30 minutes now, and the sync arrows are still present next to Gmail but they are not rotating, and if I open Gmail itself I get a black screen with "Your email will appear shortly".

hmm strange...im running SS and have no problems with my gmail.

have you tried uninstalling, reinstalling?

im assuming you have tried rebooting the phone ? that would be the first thing i would try.

Edited by jonas_football

Guest Budoc

Thanks for your response jonas_football. I tried your suggestions but that didn't solve the issues that I was having.

I left my phone to sync overnight, but still nothing.

I believe that I may have found the culprit though! I decided to go through all of the new apps and customisations that I had made over the past few days to see if removing any of them would make a difference. It turns out that the LauncherPro Plus Gmail widget interferes with the sync process and stops me accessing labels that aren't defined in the Gmail Label Synchronisation settings. As soon as I removed the widget from my homescreen, I could sync normally and access my spam folder. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on the web about this. One of the few postings that I found about it is this: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Goog...53f98&hl=en

Edited by Budoc