Coming from Omnia II, missing features

Guest Ruud S

Guest Ruud S

Hi all,

Coming from an Omnia II Windows Mobile phone, I've purchaced the Samsung Galaxy S II yesterday. I really like the device so far, but I'm missing some features that were available on the O2. Any tips how to regain these features on the S2?

• The Omnia || has an option to mute all sounds when placed face down. So, when going to bed, I just placed my O2 face down for an undisturbed night. The S2 has a similar feature, but it works slightly different. For example, it allows you to quickly mute an incoming phone call by flipping the phone over, but it doesn't seem to mute on incoming messages etc. Is there any way to make the phone mute completely when it is placed face down?
  • On the Omnia II you could quickly switch between three basic sound modes; Full Sound, Vibrate Only or Silent. On the S2 you only have two quick modes; Full Sound or Silent. Vibration can only be controlled via settings (never, always on, silent only, sound only). Is there any way to change this to be more like the Omnia 2?
  • On both the Omnia II and S2 I'm using the PIN lock. The WM6.5 lock screen on the Omnia II displayed the date and next agenda item; the S2 lock screen immediately shows the PIN keypad without any other information. Is it possible to get it to show at least the current date (either in the notification bar or on the lock screen itself)?

BTW I'm using the stock ROM, installed some regular apps but no other system modifications.

Edited by Ruud S

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maedox

1. Something like Tasker or another app can most probably do it.

2. Quick Settings or some widget from Market

3. Maybe with WidgetLocker.

Guest Dreaming Sheep

I Agree with maedox... Generally there'll be an app to do what ever you need. Just wanted to add that I'm using WidgetLocker and there is a slider that can be added to your lock screen to change between Silent, Vibrate & Audio.

Also, Tasker does have the feature needed to change settings depending on the orientation of the phone. I have a feeling Locale can probably do it too, but ever since it came out of Beta it lost a lot of features and destroyed battery life, also Tasker is a fair amount cheaper from what I remember.

Guest Ruud S

Thank you for your answers. I already bought WidgetLocker a few days after my first post; it completely fills my needs for a more advanced lockscreen and plays together nicely with the standard Android PIN lock. I've already been looking at Tasker a few times (could be handy for other things as well), so I'll probably give it a try.