Life without my Vega....

Guest MaxiP

Guest MaxiP

Finally gotten around to getting it repaired / replaced as the multitouch problem when charging was never going to go away. So it went away Friday at 1pm so have I missed it ???

- 2:00pm got back from town and went to check my email. Doh, had to go upstairs to the PC

- 2:40pm went to get kids from school but that's OK as I sit in the car & read. Doh, only ebooks now (on Vega)

- 5:00pm started dinner for the kids and tried to play music in the kitchen. Doh, music streams over network through Vega

- 6:00pm doing adult dinner and needed a recipe. Doh, had to go back upstairs to the PC

- 6:30pm had a check what was on TV tonight. Doh, no Vega / internet in kitchen so had to use Sky info

- 8:30pm had a 'help me' call from father in law so went to use LogMeIn. Doh, no Vega so back upstairs to PC again

- 10:00pm checking email.........

- 10:30pm wife wanted to check Facebook. No Vega and she couldn't be bothered with the stairs so that went left unchecked

- 11:00pm bedtime and no book to read.........

Saturday started well until the kids wanted to know cinema times. No Vega so upstairs I went

So am I missing it as it's only been 24hours.....yes. It's only now that I realise quite how much I was using it.

On the plus side, I'm climbing 2 flights of stairs a lot more often so will help with my fitness :P

Guest Unipete

Mine took 15 days.

Got a phone call yesterday saying it was back at PC World all fixed and dandy. <_< Whoopie!!

Went to collect today and it still has exactly the same fault. The fact that the screen protector was still on it suggests that it had definitely not been exchanged for a new Vega or that the screen had been replaced. :P :rolleyes:

So it has had to be sent off again. :(

Edited by Unipete

Guest premieral
Mine took 15 days.

Got a phone call yesterday saying it was back at PC World all fixed and dandy. :( Whoopie!!

Went to collect today and it still has exactly the same fault. The fact that the screen protector was still on it suggests that it had definitely not been exchanged for a new Vega or that the screen had been replaced. :P <_<

So it has had to be sent off again. :D

You are far more patient than me, that would have had me in fits :rolleyes:

Guest MaxiP

According to Currys, their fix time is max 10 days so we'll wait & see. On the bright side, the store manager is an Android user and fully agrees that it should work so if the issue still exists when I get it back (and having checked in the shop) then I should get a replacement.

Guest Unipete

The tech guy who booked it in and who I dealt with today was thinking of buying one for himself. I got him to check it too and he agreed it was still knackered.

I also forgot to mention earlier that the only thing I could see that they had done is reflash to stock 1.10. I know this as it had 1.09 on it when I took it in and also the mutli visualiser so I could demonstrate the problem. That had mysteriously disappeared when it came back.

I was also quoted a max of 28 days, not 10.

Make sure you do check it instore when it comes back

Edited by Unipete

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Unipete

Sorry for regurgitating this thread but I got a call today from PC World to say that Vega is back for a second time from repair. Got the 'Tech' guy to test it on the phone before I wasted more time and fuel in going to collect it again. He insisted it was fine this time and, (tellingly), it doesn't have the screen protecter on it now. Maybe they have changed the screen at last.

Course, I've got no way of knowing yet as my sodding car is in for repair so I can't get to the store today and the PC World local to me is having a refurb from tonight so they are sending everything to my local Currys, (even more difficult to get to).

Will I ever get my Vega back again??

Stay tuned folks!!

Guest MaxiP

Mine is back in the local store but haven't had a chance to collect it yet. Will be going in tomorrow (Saturday) with my MicroSD with Multitouch visulizer on it and will be testing in-store before I accept it as 'fixed'. As I mentioned earlier, the manager is an Android user and agrees that it should just work.

Time will tell......

Guest MaxiP

So got the store to collect my Vega and said that I wanted to test it before leaving the shop. Plugged it in and low & behold.......exactly the same fault as before. Re-installed multitouch visualizer (from SD card I brought with me) and demonstrated the fault to the assistant - he completely understood my issue and phoned customer service to say that the repair hadn't been successful.

Long story short, Curry's policy is 3 times for repair before replacement UNLESS it is less than 1 year old. In that case, it goes back to repair but marked as 'repair rejected' and they have 28 days from when it was first returned to repair to satisfaction otherwise straight replacement. So Vega now gone back and on the 28th I'll either have it repaired on a new unit.

As an aside, was playing with a friends Asus Transformer this evening and what a piece of kit....stunning. The build quality is superb, the keyboard dock is completely practical & usable and TBH, if I'm offered a refund after Vega (failed) repair, I am seriously considering laying out the extra for one of these.

Guest Unipete

Doh!! Sorry to hear that.

DSG are chuffing useless. I still can't get in to pick mine up yet but if it is still not repaired, expect to see a mushroom cloud above Buckinghamshire.

Guest premieral
Maybe anyone who can wait until July, or if you get a refund maybe interested in this:

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-compu...unveiled-961752

Toshiba Thrive ;)

My Vega (4 weeks old approx) is not to bad with the PSU connected, but MultiTouch Visualizer shows it's not stable when connected to power.

Love the proposed price point and spec but not loving the default portrait orientation

Guest Skip Tracer
Maybe anyone who can wait until July, or if you get a refund maybe interested in this:

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-compu...unveiled-961752

Toshiba Thrive ;)

My Vega (4 weeks old approx) is not to bad with the PSU connected, but MultiTouch Visualizer shows it's not stable when connected to power.

If my memory serves me right I remember PCW having a Tosh tab in their stores a few weeks before the Vega was released but had to recall them because they did not work.

Let’s hope they do better this time round.

I wonder what happened to those tabs?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MaxiP

Quick update - had a call from the store yesterday saying that my Vega was back in from repair (2nd time) and that the job sheet said that the screen had been changed, tested & passed. Made it to the store just before closing to collect and without even asking, the assistant unpacked everything & plugged it in to test !

First observation - ROM hadn't been touched as Multitouch Visulizer was still installed.

Second observation - problem still there with multitouch !!

Assistant very apologetic and explained what would happen next. As it is still within the 28 day repair / reject window (by 5 days), it has to go back again but will be written off by the repair team. At that point, they will either send me a new Vega to my home address, send me a voucher to collect a new one from a store or give me a credit note to the purchase value. So, it's taking a lot longer that expected but I can see a chink of light at the end of the tunnel. Depending on what I get (replacement / credit note), I'd be very tempted to put the extra £120 and get a Transformer but will have to wait & see.

As a test, we installed Multitouch on the display model and it was rock solid - not even the slightest movement at all so TBH I'll be happy just to get a new model as it looks like the problems have been resolved.

Guest gitf@ce

Just received mine back from 'Don't'Knowhow...Well what a waste of time!

Same problem (over sensitive lower left of screen), and missing the 4gb sd card I left in there!! Just spoke to a bloke at dontknowhow and he admits they only flashed the bios with the latest version. Something I had already done before returning it! I had written a letter explaining this and the problem in detail, and had installed Multitouch Visualizer so they could quickly see the issue for themselves...incredible!

They are picking it up again next week, but I don't hold out much hope as the paperwork that just came with the return states "we are pleased to let you know that your product has been inspected and has been repaired" and... "just so you know we have also completed a full quality check and given your product a full valet to make sure you're up and running again" (ha,ha).

I think I'm going to ring them again, as I'm getting ready to blow a fuse just thinking about this sham!

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest gitf@ce
Depending on what I get (replacement / credit note), I'd be very tempted to put the extra £120 and get a Transformer but will have to wait & see.

I would do the same but... lack of usb support without having to purchase a keyboard I don't need/want, and the prospect of my cat chewing the proprietary charging lead and finding it's impossible to replace (see Transformer forum), is enough to put me off (apart from the 120 quid). To be honest if it wasn't for this digitiser issue I find the Vega perfect. Not worried about the viewing angles as I hold it straight in front of me anyway.

Guest Unipete

Forgot to update this!

I finally got in to pick up the vega and........(drum roll)..... it was still faulty. Assistant from don't know how immediately replaced it with a brand new one which I tested and it was fine. Warranty started afresh too!

Almost wish I hadn't gone and bought a transformer while all this messing about was going on.

Edited by Unipete

Guest MaxiP

Had a call from Currys earlier (store not customer support) to say that they (store) had decided to replace with a new shiny one as they were fed up waiting for the other to be 'repaired'.

Popped into town to collect it and had a quick check with multitouch - looking much better now :) Manager then told me that as the price had come down since purchase, he was able (but not obliged) to get me £50 credit but advised me spend it there & then as it the store was closing down in a couple of weeks. So I took my £50 credit and bought official case (much better than the eBay opne I already have), 16Gb PNY MicroSD (discounted from £34 to £18) and as there were a few other bargains, grabbed a couple of headsets for the kids and paid the difference.

So it's taken a while BUT I now my Vega working as it should - currently restoring Corvus5 via CWM so should be up & running within 30 mins.

Guest premieral
Had a call from Currys earlier (store not customer support) to say that they (store) had decided to replace with a new shiny one as they were fed up waiting for the other to be 'repaired'.

Popped into town to collect it and had a quick check with multitouch - looking much better now :) Manager then told me that as the price had come down since purchase, he was able (but not obliged) to get me £50 credit but advised me spend it there & then as it the store was closing down in a couple of weeks. So I took my £50 credit and bought official case (much better than the eBay opne I already have), 16Gb PNY MicroSD (discounted from £34 to £18) and as there were a few other bargains, grabbed a couple of headsets for the kids and paid the difference.

So it's taken a while BUT I now my Vega working as it should - currently restoring Corvus5 via CWM so should be up & running within 30 mins.

nice glad to hear a happy ending :rolleyes:

Guest yabbas
... TBH, if I'm offered a refund after Vega (failed) repair, I am seriously considering laying out the extra for one of these.

This is exactly what happened to me, and exactly what I did. Never looked back since, especially since they also took back the Vega Dock and Carry Case I bought (overall £120 more as my Vega cost me £250 back int he day ... for an IPS screen, onboard GPS, keyboard dock, extra battery, proper Honeycomb Rom with NTFS support, fullsize SD Card slot that's SDXC compatible, and so on ... I think it's well worth it!!) I'm typing this out on a Sony Vaio laptop and hating not having a multitouch touchpad to scroll the window it's become second nature now!

My advice - keep returning the units till:

a) You're satisfied the problem is fixed, it's pretty easy to tell if it has or hasn't. They screwed me about telling me they fixed my Vega when the actuality was that all they ever did was either factory reset the device, or flash a standard Rom. Clueless to say the least.

After 28 days;

:rolleyes: you get a refund and get a new one which doesn't have the problems. I'm not sad to say that the local PCW didn't have any Vegas in stock that didn't have this problem! Some poor shmucks will get Vegas that can't be used while being charged (which is ok if you didn't expect it to be that way in the first place like I did ... but when you hear that others have fully functioning Vegas with better screens/digitizers you start to feel like you got the short end of the stick.)

c) Or do what I did, use the money on a Transformer. The Vega was well worth it at the start for sure...but knowing that I use the tablet more often than not, the added extras you get with a transformer are so worth it.

It's win-win either way. :)

Guest gitf@ce

Mine was collected by 'Dontknowhow' again today, only my second return for the same issue. Guess It'll come back next week with another rom flash or hard reset... pathetic!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gitf@ce

Well it came back yesterday, guess what... yep, they flashed the rom again!?!? I phoned them up and asked what they think they are acheiving by constantly flashing the rom, when the problem is hardware related. The answer... send it back and we will have another look! Although I felt ready to burst a blood vessel, strangely, I managed to laugh. In fact I found it difficult to stop!

Anyway, I told them to take a hike and decided to visit PC World. I have to say the guy there was very obliging, and really couldn't understand why Dontknowhow were being so anal with my issue. He had a word with the manager and said I could have a replacement... BUT aarrgghh... they didn't have any. I remember reading on this forum that there was no stock nationally, and that possibly there wouldn't be anymore, so I had a fiddle with the other devices and decided to move on to something else.

I expressed to Maxip the reasons why I wouldn't buy the Transformer.... needless to say that's what I bought. I just hope they soon release spare charging cables, and come out with suitable cables for in-car and USB.

Guest photons

If I didn't have my vega I'd be walking to my draw, only to find it empty.sad.gif

Or getting lost in traffic and having to ask strangers for directions.blink.gif

Or telling freinds I'll e-mail you tonight, only to suddently remember that you would have to physically deliver them a letter.ohmy.gif

Or sat waiting at my GP's and forced to read hello magazine, play crosswords or kids ohmy.gifjigsaws for entertainment or worse, attempt to make small talk.

Or sat on a 5 hour flight with just the window for entertainmentohmy.gif

Or missing an episode on tv, only to accept that I would have to physically time travel back 2 hours to have any possibility of watching it again.blink.gif

Or looking up at the sky at a passing 737-800, and never know, where it;s going, what is the airline, date of manufacture, airspeed, altitude or call sign.sad.gif

The list could go on.

You could say that suicide is the second choice to my vega and that life would be impossible to tolerate without it.wink.gif

Guest Unipete

If I didn't have my vega I'd be walking to my draw, only to find it empty.sad.gif

Or getting lost in traffic and having to ask strangers for directions.blink.gif

Or telling freinds I'll e-mail you tonight, only to suddently remember that you would have to physically deliver them a letter.ohmy.gif

Or sat waiting at my GP's and forced to read hello magazine, play crosswords or kids ohmy.gifjigsaws for entertainment or worse, attempt to make small talk.

Or sat on a 5 hour flight with just the window for entertainmentohmy.gif

Or missing an episode on tv, only to accept that I would have to physically time travel back 2 hours to have any possibility of watching it again.blink.gif

Or looking up at the sky at a passing 737-800, and never know, where it;s going, what is the airline, date of manufacture, airspeed, altitude or call sign.sad.gif

The list could go on.

You could say that suicide is the second choice to my vega and that life would be impossible to tolerate without it.wink.gif

???????????

Edit.

Sorry I get it now, your posting re; the OP and not the issues after that. My bad!

Edited by Unipete