Using a Sensation after using a Galaxy S II

Guest PaulOBrien

I noticed your tweet Paul so I thought I'd add my own mini-review here, it briefly sums up what I think of both phones.......................

I agree.

Have you also tried sync with outlook and w7x64? There were always problems with kies from samsung and the htc software like it damages appointments, cannot sync notes and tasks, cannot sync pictures in contacts and so on. and -- i dont like to send all to google and sync it with gmail account ....

thanks

Edited by thh

Guest Robboftw
Thanks a lot robbo for this review. Fantastic! !!

If I read this correct you prefer/like thesensation more? Because this is the final question. At least for me. I am focusing on 2 things:

1. The software

2. How "lays "/ "matches" the device in your hand. How easy is it to use it with one hand especially a with the thumb?.I am worrying! About the size of the 4.3"DEVICES AND THE MISSING TPAD. I use a desire z right now which I love. And I don't imagine how it is to live without a tpad.

I need this for smart dialing (scrolling right/left through numbers of a contact in the dialer), navigating through text and of course to wake up the phone (tpad WAKE) I REALLY LOVE THIS!

Thanks for helping.

Hi, its a very tough one to call. Software, ease of use and design are all very firmly in favour of the Sensation. It feels more like holding a Desire than a Desire HD for example, its a very clever design, I really like it.

You can only wake the phone via the power button on top but it is very easy to press.

Could anyone compare web browsing for both devices ?

I'm a bit scared for the future of the Sensation, if i want to get rid of Sense is there a solution ? (I don't like the dock bar and the pagination of the app drawer for instance :/)

Thanks for your help and sorry for english mistakes.

The Galaxy S II is slightly smoother when scrolling around (due to its hardware accelerated browser), but the Sensation displays the sites ever so slightly better due to the resolution, especially in portrait mode.

Have you also tried sync with outlook and w7x64? There were always problems with kies from samsung and the htc software like it damages appointments, cannot sync notes and tasks, cannot sync pictures in contacts and so on. and -- i dont like to send all to google and sync it with gmail account ....

thanks

I haven't tested this but I will try to later on.

Guest Snarkasm

Both the dock and the app drawer pagination can be gotten rid of ridiculously easy by installing Launcher Pro, ADW EX, or any of the other launcher replacements.

Guest ste1164
Why that? The Z is great device. Much better than the desire. Love the soft keys and the tpad. The soft keys are MUCH More easier to reach as they are directly under the screen and the tpad is also better to reach. Of course the Z is thicker and heavier but the positive thong about that is the keyboard.

Why do you the desire love more than the Z?

By the way: what do you think about The missing tpad on all the new HTC devices? Will you miss it?

I much prefer the Desire Z, I love the physic qwerty and it's battery life and speed are a lot better than the Desire. I wont miss the touch pad because I have used an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy S and neither of these phones had a touch pad. Also if the HD video recording is anything like the Desires it might be choppy because the phone has to save the video to the external SD not to internal storage. This is a slower method and caused the Desires 720p to be very choppy. Might be different on the sensation.

Guest Manadar
Both the dock and the app drawer pagination can be gotten rid of ridiculously easy by installing Launcher Pro, ADW EX, or any of the other launcher replacements.

I know that but you can say bye bye to all Sense widgets after ;)

@Robboftw I always use my phone in landscape mode when browsing, qHD is really usefull in that case ? Thanks for your first insight.

Guest Robboftw
@Robboftw I always use my phone in landscape mode when browsing, qHD is really usefull in that case ? Thanks for your first insight.

It's a much smaller difference than portrait. However, I think that text is definitely clearer and easier to read on the qHD, it generally requires less zooming.

Guest Manadar

Another question for me ;)

You don't have got the phone for a while and thus cannot test this thoroughly but 1 GB of rom seems way too small for me (I always have a nandroid backup on my GS so that I can try things w/o fear). Therefore I'm a bit reluctant to buy it.

What's your thought about it ?

Guest Robboftw

I think that 1GB is a bit of a small amount considering HTC could have put 8/16GB on board without too much trouble. Having said that, most large apps can go on the SD card so I doubt you would fill it up very quickly. Considering most apps are fairly small, 1GB is quite a lot.

Guest Neel007
Cold boot did not seem superfast to me after the Galaxy S2, still faster than most others ;)

Took about 20-25secs for it to boot from cold for me.

Hey sam... nice to see u here... i have been following you on youtube...

Just saw the same name over here.. n thought it must be u.... :P

Edited by Neel007

Guest NZtechfreak

Will be getting my own Sensation soon, I feel another SGSII Vs Sensation piece coming on. What do people want to know about areas for comparison?

Edited by NZtechfreak

Guest Neel007
Get ready, waiting for good times with a new phenomenon or legend. You just know you. ;) :P

WHAT CRISP SOME AIR CAN DO....

TRIP IS COMING SOON....

:D

Guest Big_Vlad

Got my Sensation yesterday unlocked on Vodafone upgrade. I have to say that after using SGS2 for 4 weeks Sensation is little bit disappointment. Available memory out of the box with no apps installed is about 140MB (compared to 520MB on SGS2). Can't get used to new Sense UI but I've loved it on my old Hero. SGS2 also is much faster out of the box. Sensation feels nice in the hand but seems to be a little bulky and not as sleek as SGS2. One thing i love on Sensation is wifi signal strength which is much better than samsung. As i am quite impatient person i don't wanna wait for unlocked bootloader. I'm sorry HTC, but Sensation goes on sale. :/

Edited by Big_Vlad

Guest EddyOS
Got my Sensation yesterday unlocked on Vodafone upgrade. I have to say that after using SGS2 for 4 weeks Sensation is little bit disappointment. Available memory out of the box with no apps installed is about 140MB (compared to 520MB on SGS2). Can't get used to new Sense UI but I've loved it on my old Hero. SGS2 also is much faster out of the box. Sensation feels nice in the hand but seems to be a little bulky and not as sleek as SGS2. One thing i love on Sensation is wifi signal strength which is much better than samsung. As i am quite impatient person i don't wanna wait for unlocked bootloader. I'm sorry HTC, but Sensation goes on sale. :/

Out the box, no apps installed, I had 1.1GB free space on my Vodafone Sensation and even with all the apps I wish to use installed I'm still showing 0.98GB. I can't compare it to the SGS2 as I've not used one but compared to my old Desire (which was running a custom ROM with Sense 3.0 elements) it's a noticeable upgrade

Edited by EddyOS

Guest Big_Vlad
Out the box, no apps installed, I had 1.1GB free space on my Vodafone Sensation and even with all the apps I wish to use installed I'm still showing 0.98GB. I can't compare it to the SGS2 as I've not used one but compared to my old Desire (which was running a custom ROM with Sense 3.0 elements) it's a noticeable upgrade

I was talking about RAM, not a storage space. Out of the box SGS2 has 2GB for applications and 12GB for user data.

Guest RielN
I was talking about RAM, not a storage space. Out of the box SGS2 has 2GB for applications and 12GB for user data.

Isn't a linux kernel always taking all ram, better use it then doing nothing with it eh.

Guest dk_iceman

the SGS2 does not have 2GB of RAM it "only" has 1GB of RAM...

what you are talking about is storage space for Programs and that is 2GB and internal SD storage 12 GB for all your other stuff...

Guest NZtechfreak

OK, getting to grips with the Sensation (been Tweeting up a storm, hard to resist making adding a hash tag to that "Sensation"!). Good initial impressions, but already thinking its unlikely to displace my SGSII.

My MHL cables both work (go standard connections).

WiiMotes don't work, didn't expect them to.

BT keyboard works, BT Mouse pairs, but not properly supported.

Phonejoy works (tried out with Mario kart 64 in N64oid, awesomesauce!).

Video playback proving problematic with most of my test files (wide variety of codecs/bitrates/resolutions/audio encoding types), even with Diceplayer, Moboplayer, Rockplayer. Bit disappointing, since it kinda makes the MHL-out less useful. Doesn play 1080p MP4 well though, and Diceplayer can handle some of the MKVs (even the one with DTS sound and a 9500kbps bitrate).

Already had one out of memory warning.

Browser is lovely with the screen resolution, but quite a bit slower than SGSII, and handles flash much worse too. Love the dynamic reflow though!

Sound quality for music is better based on my limited playback so far (via line out to the car stereo).

Tasker more compatible than with my SGSII, although still can't handle picking up calls (not the fault of either phone, its a Gingerbread thing).

Will be posting more to Twitter as it occurs to me (NZtechfreak there too), and also there will be content up at the Clove Blog (probably in pieces over the next few weeks).

Edited by NZtechfreak