Official Froyo now out for UK Defys

Guest tdodd

Guest tdodd

My girlfriend updated her T-Mobile UK Defy to Official Motorola Froyo yesterday. It was a pretty effortless upgrade and it seems all her system settings were preserved except the screen lock password, which was wiped.

Go here and follow your nose to download the software which you install on your PC and then run, with the phone connected by USB, in order to update the phone - http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/support/update/. 24 hours on from installing the update everything still seems to be fine.

Guest Weirdo109
My girlfriend updated her T-Mobile UK Defy to Official Motorola Froyo yesterday. It was a pretty effortless upgrade and it seems all her system settings were preserved except the screen lock password, which was wiped.

Go here and follow your nose to download the software which you install on your PC and then run, with the phone connected by USB, in order to update the phone - http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/support/update/. 24 hours on from installing the update everything still seems to be fine.

Thanks for the update, been waiting a while for news.

Hoping it goes well just about to apply the update.

;)

Guest zanny
The Vodafone flavoured updated has started this morning

John

Anyone know about Orange UK and froyo? got one coming tommorrow and want froyo asap :)

Guest MrBelter

I wouldn't rush, mine seems to have SD card issues, wifi issues, random LED flashing issues, a dimmer screen and even more preinstalled crap since the 2.2 update and Motorola don't appear to give a monkey uncle.

Guest Skillganon

tdood, I followed the link, there doesn't seem to be an official T-Mobile update. I see one for the Retail version and Vodafon but no T-mobile UK

Guest tdodd
tdood, I followed the link, there doesn't seem to be an official T-Mobile update. I see one for the Retail version and Vodafon but no T-mobile UK

You are right. It has disappeared. It definitely was there and that's the one she selected when downloading her update software. I have no idea why it has vanished.

To be honest, if it was my phone I would be tempted to go for the Retail version, as I assume that is debranded. However, as the phone is not mine I didn't want to open a can of worms by pushing my (her) luck. She has a 24 month contract and I thought it best to keep things on the straight and narrow. The less risk/upset the better.

Maybe it will re-appear soon.

EDIT : Some discussion on the T-Mobile UK forums - http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/discussions/...098d65047007fab. It was certainly there. Maybe Motorola released it prematurely and it got pulled for marketing reasons, or maybe there was a problem found that caused it to be yanked temporarily. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Just did a quick search and it looks like it is coming soon - http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2011/06/29/m...ng-to-t-mobile/. Seems like the usual piss up in a brewery affair. :)

EDIT 2 : Actually, my recollection of the phone is that there does not appear to be any branding. Looking at the "About Phone" the firmware is listed as "retail" firmware. You don't download the firmware directly. First you download some software to apply the updates. That software goes off and downloads the update firmware and then applies it. Maybe at the back end it's the same firmware file that is being installed, regardless of which front end software is used. Just speculating......

Edited by tdodd

Guest nvkid909

aaaah we could've pointed you in that direction but i thought you wanted the "official" update! :huh:

most of us have gone the 'hacking' route already 'cos we weren't sure if / when the official update would finally show itself. if it was close by when i bought mine, i would've defo took the official froyo before messing with it :)

anyways, if you gonna start "messing" with it make sure you read up on it all first (for example some newer custom roms work with defy green camera lens, some with red :blink: ), so best look in as many android forums you can & do your homework.

enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Len Ash

aaaah we could've pointed you in that direction but i thought you wanted the "official" update! :huh:

most of us have gone the 'hacking' route already 'cos we weren't sure if / when the official update would finally show itself. if it was close by when i bought mine, i would've defo took the official froyo before messing with it :)

anyways, if you gonna start "messing" with it make sure you read up on it all first (for example some newer custom roms work with defy green camera lens, some with red :blink: ), so best look in as many android forums you can & do your homework.

enjoy!

I can recommend the GB retail version 3.4.2.177-003 flashed via RSD Lite. Simple and safe. (Wipe cache/data in stock recovery first)

Although MotoBlur, it is fast and stable. And Warranty friendly.

Guest nvkid909

I can recommend the GB retail version 3.4.2.177-003 flashed via RSD Lite. Simple and safe. (Wipe cache/data in stock recovery first)

Although MotoBlur, it is fast and stable. And Warranty friendly.

Yup. Think I prefer the blur version I have tried some launchers & tbh I was forever configuring them, they had so many things to customize. So I just have froyo rooted / overclocked / apps loaded in home screens & have a nandroid backup of it. I think if your phone slows down just you just wipe it then restore your nandroid.