A quick specs poll...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest unfnknblvbl
Now that the Andypad has had a few more specs revealed on http://www.AndyPad.co.uk and now has a price (£129), I'm interested to hear thoughts on people's buying decision.

Please complete the poll above and share any other thoughts below!

P

I'd like some more concrete info though; screen resolution? I'd be willing to pay more for something better than 1024x600 and 512MB RAM... but 130GBP is pretty hard to go past. Also, how much onboard storage? Does it come with GAPPs? Upgradable to Honeycomb/ICS? Will it have my babies? ;)

Edited by unfnknblvbl

Guest LordGabriel

Personally, i'd like it if it had 1gb of ram, so it can keep up with later releases of Android and more demanding programs.

Guest minty1978
Now that the Andypad has had a few more specs revealed on http://www.AndyPad.co.uk and now has a price (£129), I'm interested to hear thoughts on people's buying decision.

Please complete the poll above and share any other thoughts below!

P

hmmm it is a dilemma. I want a tablet, i'd like it to have honeycomb. But I really like what AndyPad is doing.

Is there any chance it would run HC? If not that could be a deal breaker for me...but the price is damn attractive....

Guest jp514

So far it sounds like a great idea.

It needs decent hardware at the beginning to give it a chance of being relevant for a while longer.

People will be complaining from day one that it does not have Honeycomb.

If it can play games at a decent framerate I won't care about Honeycomb.

Looking forward to seeing mcr gb1 for it as well.

Guest Zarch1972

The screen is key for me....... but does a £129 tablet get a good screen?

Can it match the Galaxy Tab's 1024 x 600 for half the price? ;)

Guest newbe5

If this thing has 512mb of RAM and a Capacitive screen, I will most likely be buying one for my daughter. Without these, unfortunately it falls short. The RAM isn't as important, but the screen is essential IMO.

newbe5

Guest SpruceyB

If it means getting a better screen and 512MB RAM I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind sacrificing some internal storage.

I mean MicroSD cards are cheap enough these days.

Also the front facing cam that has been mentioned, I wouldn't mind sacrificing that either.

Mostly I want this to have a damn good browsing experience, decent movie playback and run Angry Birds smoothly.

Guest stirkac

i hope guys pull this off better than Kogan! no half-baked phone-to-tablet port... and, some support later than 2days from release.

Guest stoney1973
i hope guys pull this off better than Kogan! no half-baked phone-to-tablet port... and, some support later than 2days from release.

I wasnt championing kogan, merely pointing out a fairly similar product at a fairly similar price. Just to clarify. I dont own a kogan either. I'll stick to my sammy tab.

but the andypad could have promise......

Guest Zarch1972
Altho the screen res doesn't match the Tab, there is a lot of effort going into screen *quality* i'm told.

P

So its going to have the same resolution as my HTC Desire, but stretched over twice the size?

Apologies for my flippant comment, but i've not really seen any "low end" tablets, so not sure how they might look.

I had the Commtiva N700 with 800x480 on a 7" screen and it was quite a sweet little tablet.

Sure, it's not as crisp as 1024x600, but I am trying to keep in mind this is a £129 device.

It'll still look good for Angry Birds. ;)

P

Guest Dunhamzzz

This £129 is nothing but buzz without some actual specs. Being from Norwich I want the Andypad to do well as well, but at £129 it really can't be that good can it? Dell's 7 inch tab is regarded as piss-poor and it's more expensive.

Guest unfnknblvbl

800x480 kills it for me. I'd be willing to pay more for a higher resolution - after all, my phone has an 800x480 screen ;)

Guest David Mc0

Adding a capacitive screen would give it an advantage against the MiScroll that has just been announced: http://www.storageoptions.com/products/scroll/miscroll

I think there must be a bit of demand at the budget end of the market, but for those more toward power users, a £129 tablet is unlikely to hit the spot.

I really hope Andypad do well, but in the already overcrowded Android tablet market, it won't be easy. It seems they're trying to differentiate themselves from other tablets by focusing on a good 'out of the box' software experience with competent hardware, which probably is the best option at the moment.

Looking forward to final specs and review units - and I hope they're not scared to stick the price up by £20 to achieve competent hardware if they need to (or do multiple versions).

Guest minty1978

Great news...no HoneyComb...but there will be ice cream :P

@AndyPadUK

@mintymurray We're holding off HC in favour of Ice Cream Sandwich in a few months ;)

Guest Simon O

So AndyPad revealed some specs on it's website:

post-697226-1308330773_thumb.jpg

Let me say that I don't have any inside information on this project so take this with a pinch of salt... but I expect the CPU to be a Rockchip RK2918 SoC. This is a 1.2GHz A8 Cortex with Neon instructions, 512MB cache and high performance 2D/3D. Also has native 1080P decoding so it fits with the information in the AndyPad image above.

Now before anybody says "But Rockchip are bad", they are a huge OEM manufacturer of licensed ARM cores and they are comparable with chips from other providers. If the AndyPad does contain this SoC then this is going to be a fantastic device.

Remember, this is speculation and not confirmed or denied by AndyPad but I believe this to be the most logical chip they are using ;)

Guest philicibine

Hello all...

I'm not a regular poster here.. but thought I should add my two pence worth!

A cheap tablet is what the market needs.. and if its of a good build quality.. and reasonable specs.. then this should be worth getting! (I answered buying whatever the specs btw). (Local norwich resident too)

This will appeal to those that like the ipads, xooms, transformers etc of this world. But cannot justify the massive outlay for one. 129 quids, is not a massive outlay for anyone.

Also.. the fact they have confirmed unlockable bootloaders is great! What's next?? Cyanogenmod running on it from release??? Or maybe there's a retail modaco custom rom in the works??? (Both massive peices of awesomeness!)

Did you mention doing a rom for them in your meeting Paul?? One is hoping so!

All of this... will make this device a success. In my opinion.. and the fact its coming from a very brave entrepeneur.. who lives local to me.. is enough to convince me to have one for me.

I will however be first in line... before all of you peeps.. to get the higher spec version.. when / if they release one!

Well done Mr Kerry! ... hope it goes to plan for you!

I would buy one for sure if....

- Battery life will be decent (6-7 hours)

- Good quality capacitive screen that is bright enough outside.

- Has at least 712mb of ram.

not mandatory.

* Will have an option for 3g modem (I do have myfi)

* Will be upgradable to Honeycomb

I would pay considerably more then 129 gbp for all of the above.

Edited by aaww