blacklisted phone - but not lost or stolen

Guest robhob99

Guest robhob99

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can offer help or advise. I have a HTC desire, which was originally on the 3 network, and then unlocked. It has been blocked by 3, but not reported as lost or stolen. 3 will not talk to me, only the original account holder of the phone (whom i have no contact with). I have been using the phone for 3 or 4 months on the 02 network. I understand from information and advise from others is that 3 may have blacklisted it because it was not being used in compliance with the original owners contract.

As a person who purchased the phone, what gives 3 the right to kill it? what rights do I have?

Guest FlatPackPete

Some network operators do block phones for non payment, especially if the payments stopped early on the contract (like if you bought it shortly after the seller got it).

I'm not too sure what you can do apart from take the person to small claims court (or if you bought it through eBay with PayPal you could lodge a complaint with PayPal).

3 can't talk to you as that phone is linked with the sellers account and it would probably breach the Data Protection Act if anyone discusses this matter with you (3 would probably argue that it's their phone and the seller had no right to sell it, but it's easier all around if they just ignore you).

I'm really sorry but I don't think there is much more that can be done, but I'll keep an eye on this thread if anyone else has any good ideas. Good luck.

• 4 years later...