wipe data / factory reset

Guest Anil K Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi, I want to try CM 7 again, but I had issues when I tried the current release.

So I thought I would try again, this time with a different Micro SD card (8GB), and do a wipe data / factory reset in Recovery. Install CM 7, then format the SD card, and reboot.

If I want to go back to GSF, can I restore a ROM manager backup from my normal Micro SD card (16GB) and be back where I started? It's fair to say I'm no longer a noob, but still, wipe data / factory reset, is slightly alien to me.

I hope someone can advise me. Thanks. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Pondlife

Yes, those are all in the backup, I think you can even see it mention them as it backs up the install.

Don't format the 8gb sd card after installing though as I'm fairly sure it puts some bits on there during the install.

Guest Anil k Solanki
Yes, those are all in the backup, I think you can even see it mention them as it backs up the install.

Don't format the 8gb sd card after installing though as I'm fairly sure it puts some bits on there during the install.

Hi Pondlife, thanks for the reply. I will do as you say. Where/when is the best time/place to format the SD card so it has an EXT3 partition? After the flash and reboot in recovery?

Thanks Anil.

Guest hugobosslives
Hi Pondlife, thanks for the reply. I will do as you say. Where/when is the best time/place to format the SD card so it has an EXT3 partition? After the flash and reboot in recovery?

Thanks Anil.

the first post all sounds fine.

you can create your ext4 partition before or after. tho it will erase everything on the sdcard so it might be easier to install the rom first as otherwise you'd have to redownload or transfer the rom into your sdcard again.

do the partitioning in clockwork manually.

EDIT: it should take a while to do it in clockwork. don't panic and pull the battery while its creating the second partition.... could fek up your sdcard for good. ...

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest Pondlife

Sorry can't help on this one, tbh I've never had any partitions on the SD card so I've absolutely no idea. I'm not at all sure what the partitioning is for even. :)

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks, hugobosslives & Pondlife,

I reformatted the EXT3 partition in Recovery, and your'e right hugobosslives, it does take 3-4 times longer than simply formatting the SD card.

Pondlife, the EXT partition, is a Linux partition, the rest of the SD card is Fat32, which is great when you want to mount the SD card on the desktop. But that's where the problem lies with having only one partition, any apps on the Fat32 partition will no longer be available to the phone. That is where the Linux EXT partition comes in. If your ROM is A2Sd compatible, then it will automatically see the EXT partition and move or install suitable apps to that partition. The EXT partition will not mount on the desktop when you mount the Fat32 partition, so consequently anything on the EXT partition will always be available to the phone.

Phwew, that took longer to explain than I thought it would. Long story short; having an EXT partition means your phone will have more internal storage for essential apps.

Anyway, thanks to you both. I'm off to enjoy CM7.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Pondlife

Erm, my apps move fine to sd card, is true that I lose them whilst sd card is mounted on PC though so can see the advantage, but don't have it mounted all that often.

Hope you can enjoy cm7 this time :)

Guest Anil k Solanki
Erm, my apps move fine to sd card, is true that I lose them whilst sd card is mounted on PC though so can see the advantage, but don't have it mounted all that often.

Hope you can enjoy cm7 this time :)

CM7 is very good so far, the lock screen delay is the reason I am trying it, the apps on the market for lock screen delay are clunky and often don't work.

A2SD is not the same as Apps 2 SD, which is what you're using. I used to use Apps 2 SD, and it work great, but A2SD is automatic, and more seamless. I agree though for phones the benefit maybe minimal. I can see the benefits for tablets though, if the tablet is docked and connected to your PC and your still using it, the SD card would still appear on your PC, but you can still continue to use the tablet and all the apps. Overall A2Sd is better.

Anil.

PS. It may simply be a post flash high, but CM7 is very fast, and mega slick. Time will tell.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest hugobosslives
Thanks, hugobosslives & Pondlife,

I reformatted the EXT3 partition in Recovery, and your'e right hugobosslives, it does take 3-4 times longer than simply formatting the SD card.

no problem. yer somepeople think it must have hung because they think partitioning a card should be quick. just wanted to make sure you didn't fall into the same trap.

PS. It may simply be a post flash high, but CM7 is very fast, and mega slick. Time will tell.

haha, welcome to cm7 mate. it's not just a post-flash-high. it's always like this :) play any 3D intensive game on cm7 and there is an uncomparable difference. a game like NOVA2 hardly runs at all on non cm7 roms but you will find it super smooth (EDIT: if you set up your phone right...:rolleyes:) on cm7.

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest Anil k Solanki
haha, welcome to cm7 mate. it's not just a post-flash-high. it's always like this :) play any 3D intensive game on cm7 and there is an uncomparable difference. a game like NOVA2 hardly runs at all on non cm7 roms but you will find it super smooth (EDIT: if you set up your phone right...:rolleyes:) on cm7.

Thanks hugobosslives, I am running nightly 122, which most reviews say is very very good. Everything works, GPS, proximity sensor, will have to wait a few days before I can comment on battery life. I love the built in features of this ROM, the screen lock delay makes me giggle, the dev team have done great work.

Being able to over clock again also makes a huge difference, my handset ran in SS RLS5 at 780Mhz with zero issues. I'm currently running at 748Mhz, zero issues so far. This may be an over used statement by a lot of folk, but this is the BEST ROM I have used on my Blade, no contest.

I have only played angry birds RIO so far, but it was flawless.

Right I'm off to get NOVA2.

Thanks. Anil.

Guest Pondlife

Actually prefer GSF for gaming, cm7 has given me graphics problems with PvZ and GSF didn't, thought that ABRio was easier on the phone than the original as it was more optimized.

Guest hugobosslives
Thanks hugobosslives, I am running nightly 122, which most reviews say is very very good. Everything works, GPS, proximity sensor, will have to wait a few days before I can comment on battery life. I love the built in features of this ROM, the screen lock delay makes me giggle, the dev team have done great work.

Being able to over clock again also makes a huge difference, my handset ran in SS RLS5 at 780Mhz with zero issues. I'm currently running at 748Mhz, zero issues so far. This may be an over used statement by a lot of folk, but this is the BEST ROM I have used on my Blade, no contest.

I have only played angry birds RIO so far, but it was flawless.

Right I'm off to get NOVA2.

Thanks. Anil.

have you applied the lastest patches to fix battery life? check over at the cm7 thread if you want slightly better battery life as the current nightly has the battery drain bug without the patch. or just survive on the okayish battery life atm.

yer get nova2. is epic. I did a thread on how to get it working on a blade running cm7. check it out if you have any problems.

Guest Anil k Solanki
have you applied the lastest patches to fix battery life? check over at the cm7 thread if you want slightly better battery life as the current nightly has the battery drain bug without the patch. or just survive on the okayish battery life atm.

Hi hugobosslives, thanks for the tips. I have looked through the CM7 thread, damn it's huge! To be honest I'm not sure which specific patch you are referring to. Could I be a pain and ask you to reply with a URL, or a file name for the battery fix? I am running N122.

Many thanks. Anil.

PS. I really like CM7, the screen lock delay alone is worth the price of admission.

Guest hugobosslives
Hi hugobosslives, thanks for the tips. I have looked through the CM7 thread, damn it's huge! To be honest I'm not sure which specific patch you are referring to. Could I be a pain and ask you to reply with a URL, or a file name for the battery fix? I am running N122.

Many thanks. Anil.

PS. I really like CM7, the screen lock delay alone is worth the price of admission.

well the libs are slightly broken atm and theres some patches hanging around on the cm7 thread atm to flash the lastest (unmerged) patches. i recomend sej7278's self build titled n125+. you can it from the post below where it says "here". i recomend you just flash it over you current cm7 build (try without wiping, should be okay) as it sounds like you don't wana have to flash indiviual patches.

havn't comiliped it for myself for a bit as im currently doing some work on the 2.3 leak rom. so credits go to sej7278 for the below post which i nicked from the cm7 thread.

Anyone fancy yet another build for tonight?! Here's my nightly 125 with the following patches:
  • new kernel/libaudio patch 4: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6495 (seems to have fixed usb eject reboots)
  • screenshot rotatation: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6547
  • new libcamera: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,6496
  • soft buttons :blink:
    here, so just browse the directory, md5sums and a link back to this thread are there too. Currently we have:

• update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-KANG-signed-20110707-n125plus.zip (as above)
    • update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-KANG-signed-20110707-n124plus.zip (old kernel, n104 libaudio, libcamera, screenshot rotate, softbuttons)
    • libaudio-libcamera-20110706-signed.zip (flashable update for regular nightlies to revert to n104 libaudio, new libcamera)
      These might not stay there forever as when things get merged they won't be necessary.

Guest Anil k Solanki
well the libs are slightly broken atm and theres some patches hanging around on the cm7 thread atm to flash the lastest (unmerged) patches. i recomend sej7278's self build titled n125+. you can it from the post below where it says "here". i recomend you just flash it over you current cm7 build (try without wiping, should be okay) as it sounds like you don't wana have to flash indiviual patches.

havn't comiliped it for myself for a bit as im currently doing some work on the 2.3 leak rom. so credits go to sej7278 for the below post which i nicked from the cm7 thread.

Hi hugobosslives, I managed to find the patches you referred to a few posts back. I did a Nandroid BCKP and then flashed N125+ by sej7278. So far so good, and street view now works. I came back to this thread to say I have found the battery patch but you have beaten me to it. But I am glad you have replied, you have confirmed I flashed the right file.

I am currently using a new launcher, Launcher Pro, I have been for the most part a Go Launcher EX user. GLEX has really great features, but Launcher Pro is stupid fast. Sure it has less features, but the key ones are there, and the speed makes the handset feel like a newer faster model. LP + CM7 tweaked + Over clock = :blink:

Many thanks, I appreciate your time. Anil

Guest hugobosslives
Hi hugobosslives, I managed to find the patches you referred to a few posts back. I did a Nandroid BCKP and then flashed N125+ by sej7278. So far so good, and street view now works. I came back to this thread to say I have found the battery patch but you have beaten me to it. But I am glad you have replied, you have confirmed I flashed the right file.

I am currently using a new launcher, Launcher Pro, I have been for the most part a Go Launcher EX user. GLEX has really great features, but Launcher Pro is stupid fast. Sure it has less features, but the key ones are there, and the speed makes the handset feel like a newer faster model. LP + CM7 tweaked + Over clock = :blink:

Many thanks, I appreciate your time. Anil

no problem mate. glad you enjoy it.

yer i use launcher pro too. from my experience it always feels much faster.

cm7 turns a slightly lacking in hardware phone (like the blade) into a phone that can compete with stock £300+ phones.