The unsolvable email app problem....

Guest maladroitmattoid

Guest maladroitmattoid

I have an issue with the email app that despite my best efforts looking through various forums I can not solve, mostly because the usual answer doesn't represent what is seen.

Every time I turn on my Advent Vega I get the following message "The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

The common answer to this is to go to the manage applications settings, select the Email app, and then "clear data/cache" all sounds easy peasy.......however when I do that my "clear data" button is greyed out.

As most of the android forums I looked at were referencing other devices I thought I would come here and specifically ask Vega users.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm lost!

Guest Remington Steale

I have an issue with the email app that despite my best efforts looking through various forums I can not solve, mostly because the usual answer doesn't represent what is seen.

Every time I turn on my Advent Vega I get the following message "The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

The common answer to this is to go to the manage applications settings, select the Email app, and then "clear data/cache" all sounds easy peasy.......however when I do that my "clear data" button is greyed out.

As most of the android forums I looked at were referencing other devices I thought I would come here and specifically ask Vega users.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm lost!

Which rom are you using for a start?

May be worth actually setting up an account on the mail app and see if that changes things?

Guest maladroitmattoid

As I'm new to all this I am not familliar with all terms, but as I interpret it, my ROM would be Corvus5 ???

I can't actually set anything up on the mail app because it force closes everytime I start my device, and if I try and run it all I get is the same message and a force close.

Which rom are you using for a start?

May be worth actually setting up an account on the mail app and see if that changes things?

Guest Remington Steale

As I'm new to all this I am not familliar with all terms, but as I interpret it, my ROM would be Corvus5 ???

I can't actually set anything up on the mail app because it force closes everytime I start my device, and if I try and run it all I get is the same message and a force close.

So you installed the rom yourself?

Or are you using the one that came with it when you accquired the tablet?

Sounds like corruption, or possibly permissions problem.

If its Corvus you have it might be worth rebooting into recovery and using the advanced/fix permissions option.

Guest maladroitmattoid

The device came with Corvus installed, bought from a friend.

Would this wipe the device? or just look to fix problems? How do I boot into recovery.

So you installed the rom yourself?

Or are you using the one that came with it when you accquired the tablet?

Sounds like corruption, or possibly permissions problem.

If its Corvus you have it might be worth rebooting into recovery and using the advanced/fix permissions option.

Guest Dave Marchant

I had this problem with the stock mail app when accessing my home email server using IMAP. I tried other mail apps (K-9, Maildroid) and they worked fine with IMAP, but had issues with my work Exchange system which I also wanted to access. I am now using Enhanced Email from the Market which works really well with both Exchange and IMAP.

Guest Remington Steale

The device came with Corvus installed, bought from a friend.

Would this wipe the device? or just look to fix problems? How do I boot into recovery.

Fixing permissions just examines the index of permissions an app should have and make sure they are correctly set, so it wont wipe it.

To get to recovery, look in your apps list and see if rom manager is there, if not install it from the market. If you have to install it make sure that under the heading at the top (Flash ClockworkMod Recovery) it states you have one installed, if not just press that heading and it will download and flash recovery for you.

Once thats done press Reboot into Recovery.

once rebooted you will see lots of orange text, use the volume buttons to go up and down and the back and power buttons to select and go back.

Choose advanced options and then fix permissions

Edited by Remington Steale