09 Aug: Superboot - root access for the ZTE Skate

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest superpomme

Heya - Im looking to superboot a 2.3.5 android installation, but it looks like the download link for that version has expired - is anyone able to re-upload it for me?

Much appreciated

Guest jetman74

Hi.

I have just unlocked my OMC, it is running 2.3.4.

I plan to install superbooot and then remove some of the orange bloatware using a program that currently slips my mind (I installed it last night) it allows you to remove various components from a rooted phone.

In the future if I am not happy with the phone after removing some of the orange crap, I may install a custom rom. If I use superboot to root my phone can I just put any rom on it in the future or will I need to also install the Clockwork mod?

Thanks

Guest sarthi longani

n00b with android, still attempted to gain root on my Reliance ZTE V9C. (operator locked). came with stock 2.3.4 with reliance customisations (obviously).

downloaded the superboot package from the first post. came across the driver issue, installed google-usb from android SDK. the script proceeded and my tab rebooted.

since then, it is stuck at the android logo, with red LED on.

on plugging the cable in, device is not recognized, showing up as an UNKNOWN DEVICE in usb (device manager).

have to power off by pulling the battery.

VOL+UP and POWER button combo results in the same display.

VOL+DN and POWER brings up the FTM screen.

no other activity.

can anyone help me? or is the device bricked for good?

Hi.

I have just unlocked my OMC, it is running 2.3.4.

I plan to install superbooot and then remove some of the orange bloatware using a program that currently slips my mind (I installed it last night) it allows you to remove various components from a rooted phone.

In the future if I am not happy with the phone after removing some of the orange crap, I may install a custom rom. If I use superboot to root my phone can I just put any rom on it in the future or will I need to also install the Clockwork mod?

Thanks

Install clockwork recovery then flash CM7 - you get a better android and it is fully rooted.

It took a couple of hours and much reading and re-reading of the forums but I've rooted my phone.

I'm currently removing the Orange bloatware

now sorted :)

Edited by aardys

Guest dibbles

@aardys - I replied to you in the other thread when you posted this but as long as you can get into CWM do not panic. Yes you can install a custom ROM as you described just do the usual wipes first.

@aardys - I replied to you in the other thread when you posted this but as long as you can get into CWM do not panic. Yes you can install a custom ROM as you described just do the usual wipes first.

now sorted :)

Edited by aardys

Guest Atomix86

Wait a sec. Am I correct in thinking that the 2.3.5 package uploaded here by J.H works great for rooting but will guaranteed break Wi-Fi (thus result in the need to mess about with the boot.img)? If this is the case, how exactly does one restore the boot.img? I'm getting mixed messages from the thread results.

Many thanks.

Guest Atomix86

Ok, so my wifi is definitely broke after following this guide, prices its either this one or the unlock guide (it has reduced my Mac address to 11.22.33.44.55.66) how do I fix this?

EDIT: Fixed, was an error in the restoration of QCN file during unlock which is now fixed :D.

Edited by Atomix86

If you are skilled enough you can take advantage of creating your own superboot from your own original boot.

Here is the topic how: http://android.modac...n-superbootimg/

Just don't use romdump to get your boot.img, it won't probably work. Use CWM instead.

Also check out my last two comments in this topic. They contain some corrections to original guide.

Edited by C3C0

Guest Atomix86

I have a weird issue with mine, stay after using johnny hung method it worked well but every single time I turn on my phone I have to update my su binary because it reverts and all permissions get reset for the superuser app, any advice?

Guest danikey

Just a couple more questions (and I hope these still fit the thread). I have rooted the ZTE 2.3.5 - Thank you, Johnny Hung ! :)

Hi, pls tell how... step by step

10x

Guest dibbles

I have a weird issue with mine, stay after using johnny hung method it worked well but every single time I turn on my phone I have to update my su binary because it reverts and all permissions get reset for the superuser app, any advice?

Why do you "have" to update the superuser...? Unless you have it on auto update then that should not apply. As I have not used this for the Skate (I use a custom ROM) I would not know if the latest SU causes issues with the Skate when and if the binaries are updated from the market. It used to cause a problem with people losing root access with the blade during one of the SU updates, when the binaries were updated.

Mine is using version 3.0.7 (41) and looking at the log everything which requires SU access has been granted and remains so when rebooted.

Guest Atomix86

Why do you "have" to update the superuser...? Unless you have it on auto update then that should not apply. As I have not used this for the Skate (I use a custom ROM) I would not know if the latest SU causes issues with the Skate when and if the binaries are updated from the market. It used to cause a problem with people losing root access with the blade during one of the SU updates, when the binaries were updated.

Mine is using version 3.0.7 (41) and looking at the log everything which requires SU access has been granted and remains so when rebooted.

Because if I don't I keep getting this annoying popup saying to update, and if I choose the option to hide it it just comes back on next boot. It is something to do with the system making a fresh new superboot folder on each boot in the root of the device, thus resetting everything. I may just go back to non root for now as it's massively irritating.

EDIT: Fixed it by re-flashing the stock boot.img from the unbranded 2.3.5 ROM I am using, now no more legacy superboot folder creation on boot, yet root and all values/permissions have been kept.

This device is making me learn new things fast :lol:.

Edited by Atomix86

Guest King Mustard

The root appeared to run successfully but now I'm stuck in an Android logo loop.

Holding volume down whilst powered just goes to FTM mode.

Any ideas?

Guest Atomix86
The root appeared to run successfully but now I'm stuck in an Android logo loop.

Holding volume down whilst powered just goes to FTM mode.

Any ideas?

If you can get to FTM mode, I would suggest you reflash the stock rom of your choice and redo the rooting.

Guest King Mustard

If you can get to FTM mode, I would suggest you reflash the stock rom of your choice and redo the rooting.

How?

I have ran FTM_flash_tools but I get an error message:

"is a ATAPI device, we don't detect it

Edited by King Mustard

Guest Atomix86

How?

I have ran FTM_flash_tools but I get an error message:

"is a ATAPI device, we don't detect it

By using the zte offline updater tool. Check the stock roms thread its in their somewhere.

Guest King Mustard

By using the zte offline updater tool. Check the stock roms thread its in their somewhere.

Do you mean "FTM_flash_tools"?

If so, that's what producing the "is a ATAPI device, we don't detect it" message.

Guest sampler007

Noob alert !!!

Help Please.

I have messed up somewhere and now when connecting OMC to computer I only get Handset ADB interface in Device Manager. I tried uninstalling and updating driver but this does not work. OMC not appearing in my computer either. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Please could someone help a rookie..

I follow the instruction but know is my phone stucked at the android logo and nothing more happens? android text flashes sometimes but nothing more happens

What have I done wrong? Please could someone help me

Edited by MiiMuu

Hello guys,

I've rooted my montecarlo and now I don't have wifi... No wifi network appears on the droid and when I try to enable Wifi it just says error..

I've first used T3 root and after dealing with alot of <waiting for device> I finaly grabbed some working drivers for Windows 7 and rooted again with Superboot.

Please help me.

Thank you very much.

Best Regads.

PS: I've noticed both files nv4319.txt and nv4329.txt had the macaddr:11:22:33:44:55:66. I used Root Explorer app to grantme su permissions so I can edit them and change to the original mac address of my droid. Anyway still no go as when I try to activate the wi-fi option I get a rapid message saying "Activating" and in just a split second I get "Error". I can't get a macaddress in my phone settings, it says "not available".

Edited by Raynox