09 Aug: Superboot - root access for the ZTE Skate

Guest PaulOBrien

i have tested it after backed up the rom and it works,i have superuser installed.

you may want to consider installing & setting up link2sd as the memory on the phone dose not go very far, also a rom dump would be handy if you can wink.gif.

Guest tilal6991

Optimus rom from Portugal, the stock rom i only did the root, nothing more

Yes - installing the boot.img broke your wifi driver. Did you make a backup before trying to root?

BTW - is your phone factory unlocked?

Guest tilal6991

no i did not any backup and my phone is network locked

Right - in which case you will need to install a custom ROM.

This is becasue the kernel is linked to the WiFi driver and so if you don;t have a backup of boot.img then you need to do the above.

Guest tilal6991

Can you help me?

Sure - Install ClockworkMod using the instructions in the post below this one. After you do that post here again and I will post the next instruction. ;)

Hi, I'm new to all this Android/smartphone stuff - which led me here. I just bought the Monte Carlo from Orange, arriving tomorrow, and am aware of the orange clogging apps. I've got an Ipod touch and want that ability to add/delete apps, so if I were to do this superboot, would that alone enable me to delete apps as I wish? Or would I need to do something else?

Also I'm not that clued up with the mac terminal, so should I even attempt this?!

Cheers

Edited by Garej

Guest sergeant_tito

Same result, I've also removed the SD card from the phone.

EDIT: Sorted it, managed to find the correct USB drivers after a few useless ones, Superboot and Recovery both installed now.

where did you find those drivers? pls tell me im sick of orange branded UI...

Can I second the request for someone to please put the XP drivers on multi-upload or easy-share?

Been trying to install the android sdk, both the exe and zip versions without success, and the blade drivers link posted earlier bombed out in the device manager - not the right drivers..maybe that was for a windows 7 machine.

Seems wierd that you put the phone in and a driver of some kind is installed, but this isn't sufficient!

Thanks

Can I second the request for someone to please put the XP drivers on multi-upload or easy-share?

Been trying to install the android sdk, both the exe and zip versions without success, and the blade drivers link posted earlier bombed out in the device manager - not the right drivers..maybe that was for a windows 7 machine.

Seems wierd that you put the phone in and a driver of some kind is installed, but this isn't sufficient!

Thanks

u need to install the google usb driver for androidphone manually from the android sdk

you can get them from the android sdk here http://developer.and.../sdk/index.html download the .zip extract it to desk top (easier to find) then run the sdk manager .exe

cancel the choose packages to install pop up.

click on available packages / then open third party tab / then the google inc tab / then select google usb driver package.

then press install selected.

when its finished the drivers will be in the folder where you extracted the android sdk

under--> android-sdk-windows /extras /google /usb_driver

now how to install the google usb drivers from the android sdk

uninstall the - handset_usb_driver.exe - that is installed from the phone before starting.........

when you plug the phone in and it pops up to reinstall the .exe just close it, go to my computer right click it and safely remove so it disappears.

this will work using vista / XP

make sure usb debugging is turned on ----- on your phone.

follow the superboot guide until you get to the point where it says waiting for device and phone stops at green android logo. leave it like that and continue below

now press start & right click on my computer or computer witch ever yours says then click manage.

select device manager.

now under other devices it should say androidphone double click the androidphone then the driver tab & open update driver.

select browse my computer for driver software.

use the ---- browse for driver software ---- to direct it to the usb_driver folder from the android sdk.

then underneath click let me pick from a list of driver devices on my computer.

the box will be empty so press have disc.

now select the drive you have the android sdk installed on for me it woz C:\

now direct it threw the android sdk to the usb_driver folder.

for me it woz ----> android-sdk-windows / extras / google / usb_driver

open the usb_driver folder & select the android_winusb.inf press ok then next.

windows will give some warning saying if you want to proceed just ignore it & press yes and install.

now there might be two androidphone devices in device manager (one under the other) disable the one that has the yellow triangle next to it by right clicking then pressing disable.

soon as you do that the process should continue and the phone will reboot after a minute or two and should be rooted.

if not, run the superboot process again and it should work.

when your rooted & have clockwork you can reinstall the handset_drivers.exe from the phone, and will not need do this procedure again as the androidphone drivers are now installed. smile.gif

Edited by tillaz

u need to install the google usb driver for androidphone manually from the android sdk

Unfortunately the machine that I use to connect to the internet; I don't have admin priviledges so I can't install Java in order to run the android sdk. The machine I have full access to has an air gap so I can run the android sdk but that doesn't contain the drivers themselves, only the download address. Hence I'd like a direct download address so I can transfer the file!

I did find a promising looking download on 4shared but when I got to the device manager installation stage I got an error message along the lines of "the software doesn't match the hardware" so that was probably for a Nexus phone or something...!

Guest philmein

Unfortunately the machine that I use to connect to the internet; I don't have admin priviledges so I can't install Java in order to run the android sdk. The machine I have full access to has an air gap so I can run the android sdk but that doesn't contain the drivers themselves, only the download address. Hence I'd like a direct download address so I can transfer the file!

I did find a promising looking download on 4shared but when I got to the device manager installation stage I got an error message along the lines of "the software doesn't match the hardware" so that was probably for a Nexus phone or something...!

try this driver for windows 7 http://www.multiupload.com/YCYCBHSI40

Yes, I've tried that...that is the Handset driver that produces an ADB device in the device manager, but I think I need a different one for the Android device? Because that on its own didn't seem to do the trick:-(