Safe Mode for ZTE Blade?

Guest Mikeandme

Guest Mikeandme

I have tried everywhere else to find how to get the ZTE Blade (aka Orange SanFrancisco) into "Safe Mode" for such things as un-installing troublesome apps... But nowhere can I find how. So I have come to the font of all ZTE Blade wisdom to be enlightened.

Advice please.

P.S. If it is possible, then is there a difference if it is stock or has been routed and been flashed with a custom ROM.

Thanks in advance.

Guest unrandomsam

I have tried everywhere else to find how to get the ZTE Blade (aka Orange SanFrancisco) into "Safe Mode" for such things as un-installing troublesome apps... But nowhere can I find how. So I have come to the font of all ZTE Blade wisdom to be enlightened.

Advice please.

P.S. If it is possible, then is there a difference if it is stock or has been routed and been flashed with a custom ROM.

Thanks in advance.

I would say closest that exists is.

using adb from clockworkmod is about the best

adb shell

find /data -iname \*app\*.apk (Or /system or whatever)

rm /path/to/whatever.apk

Agreed, running adb while phone is in clockworkmod. Phone is then running a bare bones operating system.

You shouldnt need this though, you can uninstall apps while running normally. Just close the app using a task killer/manager, then while in adb, you can run

"pm uninstall <your application full name>"

"pm list packages -f" will tell you the 'real' apk name for some apps. Use a root explorer to delete the apk if the normal uninstall isnt working for you, or use the rm command described by unrandomsam

Guest Mikeandme

With my Blade, I can get into 'Safe Mode' on pressing the Menu Button while booting as described (see 'HTC devices with physical buttons').

Amazing and good. But not on mine or most Blades it would appear. Is yours rooted? Gen1 or Gen2?

Guest Phoenix Silver

oO

Yes it works

Press the menu button with power

Keep the menu button pressed until phone boot

You are in safe mode

Very interesting info

Thanks to the op

Guest Mikeandme

oO

Yes it works

Press the menu button with power

Keep the menu button pressed until phone boot

You are in safe mode

Very interesting info

Thanks to the op

Definitely does not work for me on a Gen1 Amoled with Swedish Spring Rls5. :-(

Anyone sorted it for one of those?

What are you using Phoenix Silver?

Guest Mikeandme

I would say closest that exists is.

using adb from clockworkmod is about the best

adb shell

find /data -iname \*app\*.apk (Or /system or whatever)

rm /path/to/whatever.apk

Thanks for that very helpful response. Sadly I am not conversant with adb so can you advise me exactly what I need to do to get there or point me at a suitable link.

Presumably I need to boot with volume control held to get into clockworkmod but what option do I then need to choose; when should I connect the USB cable and what software do I need to run on the PC? Or do I need to do something completely different?

Thanks for your time.

Guest Phoenix Silver

Definitely does not work for me on a Gen1 Amoled with Swedish Spring Rls5. :-(

Anyone sorted it for one of those?

What are you using Phoenix Silver?

I'm using a very classic upgraded blade to gen2 (with wbaw tpt method)

And the last CM7 rom

Firstly you need to have adb installed, you can either download and install the android sdk from the developer.android.com website (big download) or use a cut down version from here (not tested). Once you connect your phone the adb drivers should install. You can then reboot phone in clockworkmod (power + vol-) and then use the adb commands described to remove apps.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I'm using a very classic upgraded blade to gen2 (with wbaw tpt method)

And the last CM7 rom

same here. I wonder if it only works on CM7?

Guest Mikeandme

Agreed, running adb while phone is in clockworkmod. Phone is then running a bare bones operating system.

You shouldnt need this though, you can uninstall apps while running normally. Just close the app using a task killer/manager, then while in adb, you can run

"pm uninstall <your application full name>"

"pm list packages -f" will tell you the 'real' apk name for some apps. Use a root explorer to delete the apk if the normal uninstall isnt working for you, or use the rm command described by unrandomsam

Sorry to be so slow flshg but I have loaded adb and connected the phone and got it into clockwork recovery but although the adb command is recognised, when I enter:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm list packages -f

I just get:

/sbin/sh: pm: not found

Until I am a little clearer that I am doing things right, I am loath to try the rm command in case it works but not as I intended, and anyway I'm still not sure of the package name.

Grateful for any additional pointers.

Guest sm4tik

I'd suspect the directory where pm is, is not included in your $PATH when loading clockwork. When in "normal" mode, run

adb shell which pm

This should return /path/to/pm

Now boot into clockwork and run

adb shell /path/to/pm list packages -f

Hope it helps!

edit: Safe mode working here with stock gen2 + CM7

Edited by sm4tik

perhaps you need to be superuser first, so try the following

adb shell

su

pm uninstall <yourpackagename>

or if you need to find out apk name first

su

pm list packages -f

you'll get a listing of apps with the relevant apk name, which can be useful as some apps aren't necessarily named the way you would expect.

If still not working, go into clockworkmod, mounts and storage, if you have the option select mount /system, then try commands again

Edited by flshg

Guest Mikeandme

I'd suspect the directory where pm is, is not included in your $PATH when loading clockwork. When in "normal" mode, run

adb shell which pm

This should return /path/to/pm

Now boot into clockwork and run

adb shell /path/to/pm list packages -f

Hope it helps!

edit: Safe mode working here with stock gen2 + CM7

Thanks sm4tik worked a dream.

Also looks as if CM7 is good for safe mode - pity about Swedish Spring! :-(

P.S. First posted this about an hour ago but seems to have gone astray.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mikeandme

Thanks sm4tik worked a dream.

Also looks as if CM7 is good for safe mode - pity about Swedish Spring! :-(

P.S. First posted this about an hour ago but seems to have gone astray.

I am posting this to help avoid misleading future readers.

Although I got the result I wanted it was because I did NOT boot into Clockwork for the second stage. I must have just typed in the command without thinking. However when I came back and followed sm4tik's directions precisely (going into Clockwork) it did not work. Don't know why and now I am not sure if the pm uninstall command should be applied from Normal or Clockwork. Also cannot work out why the pm command does not seem to work form in Clockwork.

My mistake but when I got the answer I wanted all seemed well!

Edited by Mikeandme

Guest Mikeandme

Why clockwork does not have :

1.Run terminal

2.Run file manager

options ?

Sorry brickornot but I didn't understand that. Is it a question or an explanation? I do not understand it as either.

I'm obviously being a bit slow but as you can probably tell I am a bit new to this.

Guest Mikeandme

terminal is something like console - cmd for windows

file manager is something like total commander or explorer

Are you saying that Clockwork has or does not have the commands terminal and console, or are you asking if it does?

I was trying to run adb from my windows machine to interrogate the phone and possibly remove a troublesome app.