Battery Life when Switched off?

Guest RockVacirca

Guest RockVacirca

I have noticed, with both my Vega and my HTC Desire, that if they are both fully charged, and I then power them off, and switched them back on a week later, they are both flat. Is this normal?

Rock

I have noticed, with both my Vega and my HTC Desire, that if they are both fully charged, and I then power them off, and switched them back on a week later, they are both flat. Is this normal?

Rock

It's difficult to say; Advent don't publish a battery life for OFF. However, in standby, the Vega battery should last for four days if the Vega is using its original ROM.

Also, you don't say what you mean by 'power them off. There's been a lot of confusion between 'standby' and 'off on this forum recently. If you mean that you've pressed the power button until the power menu appears and then chosen 'power off', then the answer to your question is no, it's not normal. There have been some cases of incorrect battery stats causing this kind of problem, so you could try resetting them.

Guest IanTurner

Only if you're putting them into some form of standby mode rather than powering them fully down which occurs on the vega with a modaco rom if you hold the power button for a short time rather than longer and closing down via the menu for instance (not sure about other roms)

Guest Diveokidoki

MMM I use Quick Boot to power off and it seems it goes into standby rather then switching off as the battery is flat the next day??? any one useing something else to power off apart from the hard button??

Jeff

MMM I use Quick Boot to power off and it seems it goes into standby rather then switching off as the battery is flat the next day??? any one useing something else to power off apart from the hard button??

Jeff

I'ts best to use the power button menu. Press the power button for three seconds, and choose 'power off'. This allows android to shut down properly.

Guest phil8715

I'ts best to use the power button menu. Press the power button for three seconds, and choose 'power off'. This allows android to shut down properly.

What I've started doing is, before I switch off the Vega, I switch the wifi off on the Vega just to see if it makes a difference. If not I will send it in for repair see if that fixes it, if it does fine or if not I will probably sell it.

I have noticed the same problem when switching Vega off using Poweroff after two days it has no juice this I have noticed using Vegacomb 1.6 which is what I have been using since it was released.

What I've started doing is, before I switch off the Vega, I switch the wifi off on the Vega just to see if it makes a difference. If not I will send it in for repair see if that fixes it, if it does fine or if not I will probably sell it.

Guest phil8715

I have noticed the same problem when switching Vega off using Poweroff after two days it has no juice this I have noticed using Vegacomb 1.6 which is what I have been using since it was released.

I have been testing the Vega today. I have found that the Vega went to 68% I switched off the Wifi, then I switched the Vega off. I then switched it back on and it dropped to 32%.

To be honest I am getting sick of trying to find a solution without success, I am going to email the CEO's office to see if I can send it back and get a refund, as I won't put up with it.

Guest omniajet13

I have been testing the Vega today. I have found that the Vega went to 68% I switched off the Wifi, then I switched the Vega off. I then switched it back on and it dropped to 32%.

To be honest I am getting sick of trying to find a solution without success, I am going to email the CEO's office to see if I can send it back and get a refund, as I won't put up with it.

Please let us know how you get on with that becuase i was hoping that with a new rom and kernel it would dissappear but it seeems to be a hardware fault

Guest phil8715

Please let us know how you get on with that becuase i was hoping that with a new rom and kernel it would dissappear but it seeems to be a hardware fault

I've emailed the CEO's office. Just waiting for them to acknowledge my email.

Guest simonta

The forum is getting littered with "battery problem" threads. Let's try and solve this.

1. I suspect many people do not know the difference between standy and powered off. If you press the power button, and the screen goes blank, then to power it up you press the power button again and it more or less instantly comes back to life, you have not switched it off, you have put it in standby. To power off, you must hold the power button until the menu appears, then select "Power off" or, hold the power button for about 6 seconds until the Vega shuts off (not recommended, only for when it's frozen).

2. I also suspect that many people assume that a Vega with Android is like a PC with Windows or Linux. When you put a PC into standy, it enters a low power state with no apps running, the CPU switched off and a small current used to keep the memory powered up. Standy on a PC is very different to standy on a Vega. With a Vega, when you put it in standby, the CPU is fully powered, the memory is fully powered and there are a lot of applications running in the background, especially if you have apps like Facebook, Twitter and eMail checking for updates on a schedule. In standby, a Vega uses a lot of power, especially if you don't switch Wifi off.

3. When people say " I switched if off and it lost x percent", what does that mean? How long was it switched off? Was it powered off or in standby? If powered off, the battery will still lose power. If it's 20% over a few days, then probably no issue (I've never measured it) but if it's 20% over a few hours, then the battery is duff. Get it replaced if in warranty - but as I say, make sure that you know the difference between powered off and standby.

4. The indicator on the Vega is unreliable. Always has been, no fix yet on any ROM and everyone has the same problem. Briefly, the main issue is that it does not update correctly in normal use and often reads much higher than it should. Then you standby and resume or reboot and it suddenly shoots down. In fact, it's simply catching up. It's a very easy issue to deal with, simply put your Vega on charge when it's not being used. Problem sovled.

I really don't believe it's worth dumping tech with the value of a Vega simply because it has a dodgy indicator. There is not a single computer device that is flawless.

If you do report a problem, please be clear whether you put it in standby or powered off and for how long before people can advise, otherwise, it's impossible to know if there is a genuine issue or just a manifestation of "how the Vega is".

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Guest simonta

Rock

Yes. Batteries "leak" charge.

Guest phil8715

The forum is getting littered with "battery problem" threads. Let's try and solve this.

1. I suspect many people do not know the difference between standy and powered off. If you press the power button, and the screen goes blank, then to power it up you press the power button again and it more or less instantly comes back to life, you have not switched it off, you have put it in standby. To power off, you must hold the power button until the menu appears, then select "Power off" or, hold the power button for about 6 seconds until the Vega shuts off (not recommended, only for when it's frozen).

2. I also suspect that many people assume that a Vega with Android is like a PC with Windows or Linux. When you put a PC into standy, it enters a low power state with no apps running, the CPU switched off and a small current used to keep the memory powered up. Standy on a PC is very different to standy on a Vega. With a Vega, when you put it in standby, the CPU is fully powered, the memory is fully powered and there are a lot of applications running in the background, especially if you have apps like Facebook, Twitter and eMail checking for updates on a schedule. In standby, a Vega uses a lot of power, especially if you don't switch Wifi off.

3. When people say " I switched if off and it lost x percent", what does that mean? How long was it switched off? Was it powered off or in standby? If powered off, the battery will still lose power. If it's 20% over a few days, then probably no issue (I've never measured it) but if it's 20% over a few hours, then the battery is duff. Get it replaced if in warranty - but as I say, make sure that you know the difference between powered off and standby.

4. The indicator on the Vega is unreliable. Always has been, no fix yet on any ROM and everyone has the same problem. Briefly, the main issue is that it does not update correctly in normal use and often reads much higher than it should. Then you standby and resume or reboot and it suddenly shoots down. In fact, it's simply catching up. It's a very easy issue to deal with, simply put your Vega on charge when it's not being used. Problem sovled.

I really don't believe it's worth dumping tech with the value of a Vega simply because it has a dodgy indicator. There is not a single computer device that is flawless.

If you do report a problem, please be clear whether you put it in standby or powered off and for how long before people can advise, otherwise, it's impossible to know if there is a genuine issue or just a manifestation of "how the Vega is".

Cheers

I usually either press the power off till the shutdown menu comes on. I either select power off or long press for 6 seconds.

If I am testing I switch it literally straight away or leave it a couple of hours then switch it back on, both have same result 30 percent or more of drained power.

So why haven't Advent acknowledged there's a problem? Or actually come up with a fix.

It can't be the battery because i've had 2 exactly the same. I can't see having 2 different units both with duff batteries.

Edited by phil8715

Guest Diveokidoki

Hi Simon, are you telling me that the Quick Boot apk I use at the moment just doesn't work, because it doesn't give me a stand by option but power off which I use. Last night I powered off using the hard button charged over night, didn't use the Vega all night and just checked 16 hours later and battery indicator now still shows 100%.

So yes I believe the hard button trick does the right job.

Cheers

I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick here. This is a genuine problem that significantly reduces the useabilty of the Vega tablet. Since the tablet will shut down to protect the battery from going completely flat (I have checked), a 40% drop in the indicated battery level actually means a 40% drop in the length of time the Vega will last between charges. ie some people are only getting 6 hours out of a charge, rather than 10.

On the subject of battery use in standby, my Vega uses about 1% per hour (Vegacomb 3.2 build 7) with the wifi 'always on'. When it's powered off, it loses virtually no capacity, as you should expect with a lithium ion battery.

Also, not everyone hs this problem. I did have at one point, but I reset my battery stats once and now Iget 10 hours on Corvus 5 and a whopping 12 hours on Vegacomb.

Edit BTW For anyone who wants to resolve this properly, I think there isa file system error in /sys/class/power_supply/battery. You can recursively open device/power_supply/battery for at least 12 iterations.

Edited by lesd

Same problem for me for all roms.

I don't think so. After reading the 'Help a noob with his battery problem' thread, I did some checking. Vegacomb 3.2 build 7 actually monitors battery current and voltage. The Android 2.2 and 2.3 ROMs do not. See post #39 in the other thread.

Guest omniajet13

i never sleep or stand by my vega i always long press ( for 6 seconds) my vega and shut it down completely and on every rom and kernel i find that when the power drops to about 60% i shut down an in some cases have restarted immediately to find it had dropped to anywhere to between 20% -30% after which it lasts for barley 1/2 hour after that before the warning indicator tells me to recharge. it have had a look and there is a small battery charging curcuit attached to the battery now maybe there could be a common pcb fault causing all this. may be a dry joint or something

i never sleep or stand by my vega i always long press ( for 6 seconds) my vega and shut it down completely and on every rom and kernel i find that when the power drops to about 60% i shut down an in some cases have restarted immediately to find it had dropped to anywhere to between 20% -30% after which it lasts for barley 1/2 hour after that before the warning indicator tells me to recharge. it have had a look and there is a small battery charging curcuit attached to the battery now maybe there could be a common pcb fault causing all this. may be a dry joint or something

It's very unlikely. Losing energy at that rate will cause the battery, and whatever it's attached to, to overheat. Reset battery stats using CWM and see if it fixes the problem.

Guest omniajet13

It's very unlikely. Losing energy at that rate will cause the battery, and whatever it's attached to, to overheat. Reset battery stats using CWM and see if it fixes the problem.

i have done all the wiping battery stats ect still. this has happened from corvus 5- cwm- to hc1.7- and now honeycomb 32. both builds 6 & 7

i have done all the wiping battery stats ect still. this has happened from corvus 5- cwm- to hc1.7- and now honeycomb 32. both builds 6 & 7

Have you wiped the battery stats since you installed Vegacomb 3.2 build 7? The reason I ask is that Vegacomb actually does monitor the battery current, but Corvus 5 does not (So you have to reset battery stats regularly). Unfortunately, your old battery stats are preserved when you install a new ROM, so it's worth resetting the stats after you install a new ROM like build 7.

Edited by lesd

Guest omniajet13

Have you wiped the battery stats since you installed Vegacomb 3.2 build 7? The reason I ask is that Vegacomb actually does monitor the battery current, but Corvus 5 does not (So you have to reset battery stats regularly). Unfortunately, your old battery stats are preserved when you install a new ROM, so it's worth resetting the stats after you install a new ROM like build 7.

yep i have done that twice still no joy

In that case, I recommend you take it back. You should get about 10 hours of average use from your Vega on a full charge. It doesn't actually matter whether the fault is a battery stats problem or a duff battery - you don't have any way of fixing it. If you're interested, there is a way of checking which it is on Vegacomb:

Download and install 'Current Widget' from the market. Getting the widget on screen is a bit trick y -You start off in the normal way with a long press on the screen, and then choose the current widget. You are presented with a settings screen, and you have to use the back button (soft or hard) to get out of it.

Once the widget is on screen, it will be displaying the battery current, press on the current reading to display the remaining battery capacity, and again to display battery voltage.

Now, the battery in your Vega has a very distinctive charge/discharge cycle in that the battery voltage drops very slowly from 100% charged value to about 15% charge when it suddenly drops off a cliff. 15% is also the level at which the battery reaches its nominal 7.4V rating. So now we can do a very simple test to see if the battery charge is correctly reported below 15%. If the battery is reported as being 10% or less, and Current Widget says the battery voltage is below 7.4V then the battery really is discharged. But if the battery charge is reported as 10% and Current Widget says the battery voltage is above 7.4V then you have a battery stats problem

I'd like to remind you that Current Widget can only do this on Vegacomb 3.2, and if your not getting sufficient life out of a full charge, and can't fix it, you should take your Vega back.

Guest Diveokidoki

All I have done is the long press on the hard button a menu screen comes up and select power OFF and my usage looks as it should be no more draining issues.

Guest phil8715

All I have done is the long press on the hard button a menu screen comes up and select power OFF and my usage looks as it should be no more draining issues.

Will this work on VC 3.2 Build8?

Edited by phil8715