OT: What makes people say iPad is hot while Android is not?

Guest jimmy191

Guest jimmy191

I've put an open question up on my blog so can anyone who has more experience of iPad can help me out please.

Jim Says: Tech Reviews: Open Question: What makes the iPad Hot and Android Tablets Not?

I know this isn't the best forum for pro-iPad opinions, but I want to work out the reason why people seem to think the iPad is so much better than Android. :)

Guest jevdroid

That's easy: marketing. And the amount of apps that are available for it. You know that Apple uses the slogan: "we've got an app for that!", right? To which an android-user usually mumbles: "yeah, you need an app for that on the i-something".

But the reality is that there is a plethora of apps out there that are tailored to work with iPad whilst on Android we've got a very limited amount of quality software that takes advantage of the tablet-paradigm. On android, most apps are built for a phone, not a tablet PC. They sorta' work on tablets, but it's a far cry from "optimal".

In the real world, people don't ask for hardware, they don't ask for software - they ask for information. And that information should be available in the easiest and most accessible way possible whilst looking nice, luring users in. That is what the Apple-guys understand better than the Android community. The whole solution Apple offers is more polished, it all looks and feels "finished", whereas with most Android apps running on an Android tablet, you get the feeling it's raw, it needs work.

We will be getting there, some time. But that's the problem with Android, it's always: "we don't have it now, but in the (not so) near future, we will...".

On a sidenote: here is an interesting article on the future of both ecosystems. It seems most developers will choose to develop for Android phones before iPhone phones (once, whenever...), but will choose for iPad over Android tablets. And than do know this may be somewhat askew since the statistical data is coming from GetJar and I think there is less incentive to publish apps in GetJar for Apple developers than there is for Android'ers.

Last but not least... it's no secret Apple users are more willing to pay for applications than the Android crowd is. For a developer, it's easier to make money with Apple apps than when writing for Android. Thus the apple ecosystem is more popular and probably will be in the foreseeable future. It's a bit like a chicken/egg problem, as long as developers choose Apple over Android, customers will stay at Apple. And with more paying customers in the Apple camp, developers will keep choosing Apple over Android. The momentum-shift that is needed to change all that just isn't there - yet (hey, didn't I hear something similar earlier?).

Edited by jevdroid

Guest phil8715

Apple IOS is a far more complete OS than Android ever will be. For me Android is too fragmented; alright Apple have stricter controls on content and when they roll out an update to the OS it does actually appear. Android tablets for exaample still use the same market as their phone counterparts. I thought it would be different with VegaComb but it's not. I agree Android devices - that means both phones and tablets - are easily customisable without too much knowledge.

With the iPad the apps store is designed solely for the iPad. The iPad user experience out of the box is far superior to, for example the Advent Vega, as you have to at the very least install the market apk and know where to find it.

I've never actually owned an iPad but have played with a few in the Apple store and I know a few people who have them they have all said it's a fantastic experience, I know some people who have had iPads also bought an Android tablet and said it's not as good as the iPad.

I am sure high end Android tablets like the Motorola Xoom would blow the iPad out of the water.

BTW I am not an Apple Fanboi, far from it. I have 2 Android phones and the Vega. I have had the iPhone 3gs and I have an iPod Touch and an iPod Classic 80gb.

Google need to up their game and let any tablet maker have access to the Android source code if they want to seriously compete with the Apple iPad.

Guest jimmy191

You both make very good points. Being an app developer its plain to see that developers really just don't like Andorid and the app sales figures are a large part of the reason why. I've had no end of trouble with my apps too, it's not necessarily about the quality of the product but the compatibility with the platform. I use a HTC Hero and my Vega to test apps on, for a while they were both running gingerbread, when I switched to froyo and vegacomb there was a load of issues showing up on both devices. Theres simply too many different versions that are the highest stable version for each Android device, iOS your dealing with maybe 2-3 versions plus those people who haven't upgraded, but that's the user's fault.

I must admit that I've let a lot of flaws go due to knowing I'm using low range or old hardware and custom ROMs, if I had paid full whack and was using stock ROMs I'd expect everything to run smoothly. With 2.2/2.3 on the vega it did really feel a little cheap and like a big phone, but so does the iPad, without the cheap, Vegacomb is something else though. I'm not sure how the Xoom, Transformer and Galaxy 10.1 feel to use.

I think Android's main issue is the fact that it needs to have just one current version for phones and one for tablets, that way it'd kick iOS out of the ballpark. Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich might bring this, failing that a Cyanogen APK that senses your hardware, auto installs the ROM and loads with stuff like ES file browser, Dolphin, and the top rated media apps as standard. Android for dummies that as Mr Job says "it just works". :D

I find it funny that Apple's motto is "theres an app for that" but for freedom and compatibility there isn't an app.... if there is you have to pay.

Guest ursulavasey

I've put an open question up on my blog so can anyone who has more experience of iPad can help me out please.

Jim Says: Tech Reviews: Open Question: What makes the iPad Hot and Android Tablets Not?

I know this isn't the best forum for pro-iPad opinions, but I want to work out the reason why people seem to think the iPad is so much better than Android. :)

I am in the pro Android/Anti Apple camp. There are several reasons for this; the first of which is price. The iPad is an expensive item compared to most other tablets, and beyond my limited budget. Another issue is customisability. With Apple you have to do things their way, and the whole system is tightly controlled by the Apple team, meaning apps have to be approved by them to allow them on their Idevices. If Apple don't like something, the device owner can't have it, even if they want it. If a buy a device, whether it is a phone, tablet, etc, it is mine and I want to use it my way, not how the manufacturer dictates I can use it. How can I bluetooth music to or from my Idevice? I can't, because Apple won't let me. There are other restrictions of a similar nature, but that is just one example.

With Android, these restrictions do not apply. Obviously there are hardware restrictions in individual devices, meaning some early and/or low-end devices cannot cope with media streaming for example, but on the whole, you can do as you wish with your device, especially if you are willing and able to root and mod it to your own personal specification. I agree that Android is pretty fragmented at the moment, whereby some devices are on Eclair, others are on Froyo, then Gingerbread, Honeycomb, etc, but Android is in its infancy and things will level out in the end. As older devices are superseded by newer ones, Android will be on a more level playing field, with most devices running similar hardware and software. Because Android is open-source, individuals will be able to create apps that people want, and adjust/amend the apps by responding to users' requests.

To summarise, for me, Android is the better OS, because it is more customisable and accessible to people on a limited budget, so I think you get more bang for your buck on Android.

Guest plegdroid

I'd say the iPod is more for people who want an out of the box device, android could be perceived.as hard work or involving where as the iPhone is instant gratification, the thing with instant gratification is that it is usually short lived when it comes keeping your attention, iam not saying there's not a market for the iPhone there planely is, but there's a built in boredom factor when your told what's best for you. android for me open o/s, don't you love it.

Guest jevdroid
there's a built in boredom factor

Maybe, just maybe, some people seem to think "boredom" is not an issue. Or, let me rephrase that: to some, tablets and phones are just toys. To some, these are just things that ought to work. Playing around with your phone or tablet can be a hobby just as cars are a hobby to some. But in the end, these things aren't made to be toys, they are made to be tools. The "boredom factor" isn't important for a tool. And second: to most users, it's the contents that keep things interesting, not the system an sich.

Guest Sanddancer75

Yeah, Android can be hard work, & I'm guessing most people here like that, as their hard work pays off. I'd hate for the likes of my parents to buy Android devices, as it would just frustrate them. I do think that in time these things will change though.

Guest simonta
Apple IOS is a far more complete OS than Android ever will be

Really? Multitasking, copy/paste, push notifications, WiFi sleep policy, turn by turn navigation, multi-factor support, multi media support (number of audio/video formats), skinning, folders on the home screen, widgets - I could go on. Android has been ahead of iOS at every turn and continues to include many OS features not found in iOS. ICS will only widen the gap.

Android tablets for exaample still use the same market as their phone counterparts

The Market is dependent on Android version, not form factor. The HC market is nothing like the Froyo market.

Google need to up their game and let any tablet maker have access to the Android source code

They already have. This has been planned for a long time and will happen with ICS. How many manufacturers have access to iOS source? Er, that'll be one then.

Yeah, Android can be hard work, & I'm guessing most people here like that, as their hard work pays off. I'd hate for the likes of my parents to buy Android devices, as it would just frustrate them. I do think that in time these things will change though.

Have you owned an Android device other than a Vega? I have an HTC Desire. It is instantly useable, I would argue that with Sense, it is easier than an iPhone and I'd be happy to let my parents (both in their 70s) use one. No tinkering required. I also have an iPhone (and a Samsung Omnia 7 running Windows Phone 7) and the Desire is the most reliable of them all. iPhone needs rebooting a couple of times a month, uptime on my Desire is currently 3 months plus.

For tablets, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (probably my next tab) beats the iPad on every front. It's lighter, has a higher screen resolution with higher DPI, better performance, better browser, Flash, better cameras, stereo sound - and once I buy it, I will own it and do with it exactly what I want. I won't have to rent it from Samsung. There's a reason why Apple are throwing their toys out of the pram at Samsung and it's just the beginning.

Don't get me started on form over function, shiny, overpriced hardware and anti-competitive behaviour ;)

Edited by simonta

Guest Panayioti

With Apple you have to do things their way, and the whole system is tightly controlled by the Apple team ,not how the manufacturer dictates I can use it. How can I bluetooth music to or from my Idevice? I can't, because Apple won't let me. There are other restrictions of a similar nature, but that is just one example.

But i think this what makes the ios sell because its controlled by apple the ios is more easier to use and because the layout is always the same its easier for you to find what you want with ios and this is just my theory but i think this might have been the reason why the samsung galaxy s2 is samsungs fastest selling phone http:// http://www.e2save.com/community/mobile-phones/one-million-samsung-galaxy-s2-smartphones/ Anyway im with android all the way but these are just my opinions.

Guest phil8715

Really? Multitasking, copy/paste, push notifications, WiFi sleep policy, turn by turn navigation, multi-factor support, multi media support (number of audio/video formats), skinning, folders on the home screen, widgets - I could go on. Android has been ahead of iOS at every turn and continues to include many OS features not found in iOS. ICS will only widen the gap.

The Market is dependent on Android version, not form factor. The HC market is nothing like the Froyo market.

They already have. This has been planned for a long time and will happen with ICS. How many manufacturers have access to iOS source? Er, that'll be one then.

Have you owned an Android device other than a Vega? I have an HTC Desire. It is instantly useable, I would argue that with Sense, it is easier than an iPhone and I'd be happy to let my parents (both in their 70s) use one. No tinkering required. I also have an iPhone (and a Samsung Omnia 7 running Windows Phone 7) and the Desire is the most reliable of them all. iPhone needs rebooting a couple of times a month, uptime on my Desire is currently 3 months plus.

For tablets, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (probably my next tab) beats the iPad on every front. It's lighter, has a higher screen resolution with higher DPI, better performance, better browser, Flash, better cameras, stereo sound - and once I buy it, I will own it and do with it exactly what I want. I won't have to rent it from Samsung. There's a reason why Apple are throwing their toys out of the pram at Samsung and it's just the beginning.

Don't get me started on form over function, shiny, overpriced hardware and anti-competitive behaviour ;)

I own a ZTE Blade running Portugese Spring and an SE X10 Mini running CM7. So I am no stranger to modding phones and tablets, before that I had an HTC Hero(briefly)before getting Three Uk to swap it for an iPhone 3GS due to bad signal issues, I also owned an HTC Wildfire and indeed my next phone will hopefully be an Samsung Galaxy S2.

I do agree for instant gratification out of the box an iPad suffices, but I do enjoy tinkering with my Vega and being able to do what I couldn't do if I owned an iPad.

But part of me thinks is, I do enjoy modding, but I would like a tablet to work out the box without messing about changing roms, I sometimes feel that all I am doing is testing roms I never actually get to use the tablet as it should be used.

I agree that Apple do have a habit of price fixing and why they haven't been investigated is beyond me.

When is Google going to release the source code for ICS?

Edited by phil8715

Guest simonta

I would like a tablet to work out the box without messing about changing roms, I sometimes feel that all I am doing is testing roms I never actually get to use the tablet as it should be used.

That's only because you bought a Vega. If you get a Xoom, Transformer or gTab, these do indeed work right out of the box. The problems you point out are Vega specific, not Android specific, and there are very good reasons why the Vega is as it is and why Honeycomb was not released to open source - search for "Honeycomb open source" for some background.

The date for ICS hasn't been formally announced AFAIK but October is the current favourite on the rumour mill.