[APP] TPT Helper

Guest Amphoras

Harsh, but fair. The ads & lack of source code are holding it back. Remove the ads & GPL it, then we can add the features that have been asked for. Otherwise somebody is going to have to repeat your work to make a proper version & all your hard work is a total waste of time.

Guest Amphoras

I wouldn't have used it if its description was less misleading.

I don't expect anything (And would be far happier with nothing than adware).

Better description something akin to :

"This app is for people who cannot download a zip file and put it onto their sdcard and reboot (from cold without usb conected) hold vol + / menu and power on. Please note this app contains "ADWARE" and doesn't let you set arbitrary partition sizes"

By choose partition sizes, I meant you can choose which partitions from the available ones, to go with the splash image and recovery combination you wanted rather than being forced to use whatever recovery/splash/partitions comes with each TPT as standard. eg. if you want to have 138system partitions, but you want to use the BigAndroid splash image and CWM v5 then you can choose that, etc. I agree that could have been clearer, I will update the description to avoid anyone else confusion.

I plan to add the option to set your own partition sizes when I get time. Just need to decide the best way to go about it and work it all out.

If you don't like the ads, then sorry but tough. It costs $25 to make an account to put apps on the market. Maybe thats not a lot to you, but I'm at uni and doing this in my spare time, so the ads go a little way to making that back. I don't see what the problem with them is really. Its not like they're big full screen ads jumping out at you all the time.

You may find it easier to do on a computer, thats fine. Not everyone will though. Its not hard to do on the computer, but I would think its still easier to click 3 buttons on your phone to download, unzip and check it all in one go. You don't even need to turn off and hold the right buttons on some roms, you can just do it from the app.

Guest Amphoras

Harsh, but fair. The ads & lack of source code are holding it back. Remove the ads & GPL it, then we can add the features that have been asked for. Otherwise somebody is going to have to repeat your work to make a proper version & all your hard work is a total waste of time.

What needs to be done to do this? I assume its more than just copy/pasting the code somewhere.

What needs to be done to do this? I assume its more than just copy/pasting the code somewhere.

It isn't any more than giving the source code to somebody with the GPL (or other open source license of your choice) attached. If you put it on github then that makes it easy for others to contribute to it.

Guest Amphoras

It isn't any more than giving the source code to somebody with the GPL (or other open source license of your choice) attached. If you put it on github then that makes it easy for others to contribute to it.

I've added the code for TPT Helper to github and an going to release it under the GNU GPL v3. I'll probably check over everything then upload the updated version to the market sometime this weekend. You can see the code here if you're interested: https://github.com/Amphoras/TPT-Helper

Guest eirlysbill1

Hi,

Sorry for the stupid question, but what does this mean: "You should only use the TPT files included on European ZTE Blades" (I'm from the US, and we think of Britain as European, but I find that many people in the UK, mean European to be on the continent) huh.gif

I have an OLED Blade bought from Orange UK in Dec 2010. It is GEN1 and I currently have FLB froyo r.11 on it (thanks to Steven Harper's guide from early 2011). I'm thinking I'd like to try a Gingerbread Rom now, but it looks like I'll have to make the phone Gen2. This app looks like it will do that for me, but can I then add any Gen2 rom? Like CAE, or Cyanogen 7.1?

If that's possible, could somebody please tell me how to I do it?

Thanks,

Bill

Guest Amphoras

Hi,

Sorry for the stupid question, but what does this mean: "You should only use the TPT files included on European ZTE Blades" (I'm from the US, and we think of Britain as European, but I find that many people in the UK, mean European to be on the continent) huh.gif

I have an OLED Blade bought from Orange UK in Dec 2010. It is GEN1 and I currently have FLB froyo r.11 on it (thanks to Steven Harper's guide from early 2011). I'm thinking I'd like to try a Gingerbread Rom now, but it looks like I'll have to make the phone Gen2. This app looks like it will do that for me, but can I then add any Gen2 rom? Like CAE, or Cyanogen 7.1?

If that's possible, could somebody please tell me how to I do it?

Thanks,

Bill

You can use the TPT's from the app. You need to use one of the Gen 1 to Gen 2 TPTs, one with 160mb system is probably best. After you've done that, you can flash any Gen 2 compatible rom you like from Clockwork.

Edited by Amphoras

Guest eirlysbill1

You can use the TPT's from the app. You need to use one of the Gen 1 to Gen 2 TPTs, one with 160mb system is probably best. After you've done that, you can flash any Gen 2 compatible rom you like from Clockwork.

Thanks for the help. Just one more question. To keep my apps, just do a nandroid backup in Clockwork, then re-install (or add them to the SD card, after the TPT and the new rom are on the phone?

I have a feeling that all these question have been asked loads of times on this forum; and I have read posts about this, but I still can't quite get my head around it all. To be honest, I still think it was a shot in the dark for me to get froyo on this phone in the first place. I thought I had bricked it. I miss those step by steps from Steven H.

Ta, Bill

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest Amphoras

Thanks for the help. Just one more question. To keep my apps, just do a nandroid backup in Clockwork, then re-install (or add them to the SD card, after the TPT and the new rom are on the phone?

I have a feeling that all these question have been asked loads of times on this forum; and I have read posts about this, but I still can't quite get my head around it all. To be honest, I still think it was a shot in the dark for me to get froyo on this phone in the first place. I thought I had bricked it. I miss those step by steps from Steven H.

Ta, Bill

Trying to restore a Clockwork backup is likely to cause problems if it even works. It would be better to use something like Titanium Backup and only restore user apps.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Amphoras,

I am gonna use your App shortly to update to Gen2... could you just clear up a couple of issues for me please.

1) By upgrading to Gen2 with this app, if I then use it to downgrade to Gen1 at a later date, there is no issue with IMEI number (like the Windows app??)

2) I've installed this App, if I run straight from my phone and do the Gen1-Gen2, and then load a ROM, does it touch/wipe any data off the SD card during conversion...??

Cheers, many thanks...

Lister

Guest Amphoras

Hi Amphoras,

I am gonna use your App shortly to update to Gen2... could you just clear up a couple of issues for me please.

1) By upgrading to Gen2 with this app, if I then use it to downgrade to Gen1 at a later date, there is no issue with IMEI number (like the Windows app??)

2) I've installed this App, if I run straight from my phone and do the Gen1-Gen2, and then load a ROM, does it touch/wipe any data off the SD card during conversion...??

Cheers, many thanks...

Lister

If you upgrade by TPT, you can downgrade by TPT, which should not touch your IMEI.

It shouldn't wipe any of your sdcard data, but it will wipe your internal data. Obviously there is still a small chance something may go horribly wrong, but it shouldn't wipe the sdcard.

Guest unrandomsam

Hi Amphoras,

Cheers, many thanks...

Lister

1. No (There is no issue going gen2->gen1 and vice versa with the windows application given whilst the process is going on you still have a stock recovery).

2. No. (SDcard is not touched by any upgrade process at all.)

Hi Amphoras,

Cheers, many thanks...

Lister

No to both questions.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Amphoras, unrandomsam & De@n,

Wow, thanks for the super fast response, and putting my mind at rest...... I noticed someone has finally updated the Universal Converter to make it work for Gen1, but alas it didnt work for me, and got caught up in a loop.... :(

So now, I think I am just gonna bite the bullet, and after you guys re-assured me, going fully Gen2 now.... :) thanks...

Whats the best method/layout to have...?? so many choices, does it make a big difference? Whats the Cache area all about, as I have seen some with 2Mb and others with 37Mb, is it better to have a larger swap area or dont it matter...?

What other differences will I see going Gen2? Battery last longer on Android 2.3.7 ? Will the extra radio frequency be any use to me (T-Mobile UK) ?

Many thanks, Lister

Guest Amphoras

If you're planning to use CM7, then I'd go for the v9-custom layout, the one with 160mb system, 2mb cache and 294mb data. Most of the newer roms don't need a large cache partition, so 2mb is fine. There isn't much difference going to Gen 2, the main difference is newer roms properly supported rather than having to use things like the converter.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Amphoras,

I'm all Gen2'd up now ;) :) Thanks to the use of your App, and a little bit of manual intervention.... but went smoothly with the help of your App... :) very quick....

Thank you, Lister

Guest Amphoras

Hi Amphoras,

I'm all Gen2'd up now ;) :) Thanks to the use of your App, and a little bit of manual intervention.... but went smoothly with the help of your App... :) very quick....

Thank you, Lister

Glad you got it working :).

Uploaded a new version of the app. Thanks to the people who added the Portuguese and Spanish translations to the spreadsheet, tell me who you are and I can give you credit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eirlysbill1

Trying to restore a Clockwork backup is likely to cause problems if it even works. It would be better to use something like Titanium Backup and only restore user apps.

Amphoras,

I had time last week to run this TPT and added a 2.3 rom. The difference is amazing, I'm really glad I did this. Thanks for your help.

But I have another issue: I have a feeling my SD card is flaky. It dismounts when under load, (i.e. big downloads: like Ivona's voice app, and Co-Pilot satnav)

Worse it dismounts and crashes the phone when using the satnav. Not too good, when in your in London and don't know your way, as happened this weekend.

This began happening long before the TPT and when I was on FLB froyo. I always thought it was due to heat, as I would have the car charger in at the same time as using the satnav, to keep the battery up. But, it crashed this weekend without the charger plugged in.

I know there has been many discussions regarding SD cards elsewhere in the forum, but the issues mentioned usually are if a card works or not. Mine works (in normal use) and has done for about a year, but it just seems to lose its head under a heavy load.

Its a My Memory 16GB class 6 I think. Don't know if you can add any wisdom to my problem, or not? Just thought I'd try.

Failing that, I'm thinking of changing to a Sandisk card (seems to be a good choice) but am I correct in thinking that this TPT has re-partitioned my current card? And, if so what are the steps that I need to take to make sure any new card I fit, would work with the TPT to Gen2 and the 2.3 rom?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

All the best,

Bill

Guest Amphoras

I don't know what could be causing the sdcard to unmount, maybe you could check the connection and see if its in properly? Otherwise I have no idea, sorry.

The TPT doesn't do anything to your sdcard. It repartitions the internal memory on your phone to make better use of the space, so you can use a new card without having to worry about that as it doesn't make any difference.

Guest eirlysbill1

I don't know what could be causing the sdcard to unmount, maybe you could check the connection and see if its in properly? Otherwise I have no idea, sorry.

The TPT doesn't do anything to your sdcard. It repartitions the internal memory on your phone to make better use of the space, so you can use a new card without having to worry about that as it doesn't make any difference.

ahh, a light bulb just went on :-) I always thought the re-partitioning business revolved around the SD card. Sorry about that, and thanks for your quick reply.

PS: I have checked the connection and cleaned the contacts, but no joy

Thanks again

Guest Amphoras

Serbian translate done. Hope you'll include it with future updates.

Rgds

Uploaded a new version with them added. Sorry it took so long. Updated the French, Spanish and Portuguese translations as well.

• 3 weeks later...