USB OTG

Guest rogorb

Guest rogorb

Hi all,

first of all, I'm a noob on android but I have experiance with reflashing SE phones (not that it is in any way similar).

I have a ZTE blade, Belgian mobistar phone,

firmware version: 2.1-update1

kernel version: 2.6.29

build number: OBE_P729BV1.0.0B02

I've been looking into this a few months now and recently

I've been looking deeply into this for over 200 hours on different forums, wikis,... and I'm not finding the solution on my own.

I really want the USB OTG to be working, don't care much for any other thing (exept maybe working GPS (didn't find a free offline maps version yet)

I have the known problem that I can not get the fastboot going on my blade,

however when I go into adb shell en give it a "reboot bootlaoder" it does turn off en gets stuck on green man after that.

Guess that part is solved.

In CMDwindow I now type "fastboot devices" It returns "? fastboot"

I must have the correct driver 'cause typing "fastboot reboot" does say "finished. total tim: 0.004s" (as where it used to say waiting for device

1) So i guess I can actually use fastboot methods now? (and the ? in ? fastboot is normal)

2) can I just type in CMD: "fastboot flash boot boot.img" followed by "fastboot reboot"

knowing that I have a different build number and I bought my phone in another country, but it is both 2.6.29kernel

3) can this brick my phone at all or is this not affecting the rom on my phone and will it just boot in my current ROM next time I boot?

I guess not, 'cause Sven himselve advised the N1 users to use "fastboot boot zImage" with the zImage,

problem is that for the blade there is no zImage available on the site

4) if 2 is a no go, then must I first extract my ramdisk and combine it with the boot.img from the Sven Killig zte usb host mode site

5) or do I have to extract the ramdisk there too and swap it with mine?

6) if this works it wil be permanent, but I would be able to clockworkmod recover it and swap between wy current rom and that rom, right?

I can use terminal emulater or adb shell or (preferrably for the ease of use) ghostcommander to execute the insmod commands and I get the js0 and js1 in /dev/input

I made myself a otg cable (seemed easier than finding the right one that doesn't torch the blade)

recently this "an experimental cm7 kernel" thread started here and that seems an option too

the problem ther is that some files are gen2 there and others are gen1, and it is not clear which are which

(maybe by poster but that's a guess I'm not willing to make), that dropbox doesn't seem accessible too.

I really want the host mode working, so if the first method appears doable I would prefer that one.(saving the hassle of having to revert back to gen1)

And wait for the "experimental kernel" to be more easy to install.

7) why is this usb otg not seeming important to blade owners?

I would like to thank everyone that is involved in the otg.

If anyone could answer some or all of my questions and help me on the way, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know this could have been posted in an existing thread, but aside my personal problems this concerns 2 threads and one of them is very old.

so it seemed relevant to open a new thread.

Guest Phoenix Silver

1) yes , yes normal

2) yes

3) can't brick your phone but you should make a nand backup in clockworkmod before trying anything

4 and 5) you should compile the kernel yourself

6) yes

Guest rogorb

1) yes , yes normal

2) yes

3) can't brick your phone but you should make a nand backup in clockworkmod before trying anything

4 and 5) you should compile the kernel yourself

6) yes

wow, superfast

so I should just do 2 wth te boot.img povided at Svens site and that's it?

(and totally ignore 4 and 5, 'cause I could never buil from kernel without soeone teaching me in person)

that would be too easy, and if I had the balls it would have saved me quite some days of looking around. I learned alot tho.

anoter qustion, could I also take that boot.img from svens site, stickit in a nandroid folder and copy all other *.img there, the in notepad alter the MD5#, that would als go? or is that a stupid idea cause of ome reason?

Guest t0mm13b

The only thing to be careful of for number 2 and 3 is this, and it can be very easy to mess up

fastboot [reboot|flash] [partition_name] [name_of_image.img]

To interpret this, I used square brackets to denote the separation of parameters - this means - fastboot accompanied by either a 'reboot' or a 'flash'. It's the 'flash' bit you need to be careful and not inadvertently flash the wrong file 'name_of_image.img' to the wrong partition.... partition_name can be one of the following:

splash

boot

recovery

It can happen despite some safeguard mechanisms in place (such as denying you to flash a big file for a small partition etc), although personally, when incanting that command, I read it twice before hitting enter to make sure I don't mess up the handset - just something worth bearing in mind as it is a powerful tool :)

thanks to the PhoTom team for this, it worked, keep up the good works and the helping of people, very much appreciated

phone now starts up as an orange phone (mobistar didn't put anything on there so the green android just steps aside some pixels where now an orange logo comes up).

keyboard works very good, no lag to speak off, only thing is that sometimes it disconnects (could be my fault, power cord is faulty sometimes and should be replaced)

thrustmaster dual analog 3 is recognised and sometimes works, but some emulators have difficulty finding it (which is weird cause lights are on and stay on on the thrustmaster pad

remark: since my usb otg micro b plug's connectors aren't big enough and i have to constantly push the connector to work, I tried with the standard datacable and it also works (after the installation with the pin4-5 connected cable

(should try if a otg cable is needed to get it in this mode whilst insmodding, if thats not the case no special cable would be needed)

now to make some batterypowered powerpack, up to the electronicsstore for some buckconvertorchip or something like that.

remark2: bluetooth and wifi keep working, so no biggie that you lose slave mode, guess i can keep it in this rom and won't have to change back and forth.

as said much thanks to phoenix silver and tomm13b,

big big special thanks to mr. killig for enabling this.

edit: there is no need for a micro USB B that got "A'ed" by connecting pin 4 and 5, it works with the datacable deliverded with the blade (standard cable plugged in from the boot, never a hacked cable)

the standard cable seems better even as dmesg sais charger:wall charger, whilst with the 4and5 pin joined it sais charger:usb pc

Edited by rogorb