[Mod][GSF B21/B22] Restore old Android Market

Guest nrev

Some people find the new Android Market too graphics-, network- and/or processor-intensive. This mod replaces the new Market app as distributed with recent GSF betas (B21/B22) with the old version from B19.

Install with ClockworkMod as usual. To be safe wipe cache and Dalvik cache beforehand.

GSF-B21-old-market-v2.zip

MD5: 3872f23d8041b7ee73d2eaf8903f1dbc

This isn't the only way to restore the old market as you could achieve exactly the same result by manually replacing Vending.apk and MarketUpdater.apk in the main ROM zip prior to installation, as suggested here.

This GSF mod is compatible with most GSF theme mods and has been tested with these circle battery mods (you can install them in any order - battery over old market or vice versa).

edit: replaced original file with v2 as MarketUpdater.apk was not required, as pointed out by wbaw, below

Edited by nrev

As far as I remember I didn't replace marketupdater.apk & I'm not sure that the market will work at all without it.

The new market is being rolled out through updates, it's going to be pretty hard to avoid it for long, people using older gsf versions have said they've been updated automatically already. So it's just going to update itself soon anyway.

It is quite network intensive, it takes a while to download those images on the front page, but it's not too bad once the images have loaded. It's less bad on a fast connection, just takes a few seconds.

As far as I remember I didn't replace marketupdater.apk & I'm not sure that the market will work at all without it.

You are right - I confess to blindly following what some previous posters had said in the GSF thread, but now I have done a diff I see MarketUpdater.apk is identical in B19 and B21. However, including it wouldn't do any harm as it would just replace the file with an exact copy - nevertheless I have removed it in v2, above, so that MarketUpdater.apk is not touched.

The new market is being rolled out through updates, it's going to be pretty hard to avoid it for long, people using older gsf versions have said they've been updated automatically already. So it's just going to update itself soon anyway.

OK, but until it does update itself I can use the old market. If/when it does upgrade I could reinstall the old version again if I kept the zip on my SD card. I know it is a temporary and rather inelegant solution - but we may have all moved to CM7 by then! :)

It is quite network intensive, it takes a while to download those images on the front page, but it's not too bad once the images have loaded. It's less bad on a fast connection, just takes a few seconds.

It is still a fair few seconds on my medium speed (20Mbit/s) Internet connection - and quite a bit longer when I'm out and about on 3G (although, I admit that perhaps I shouldn't really be browsing the market and thinking about installing stuff when I'm not on wifi).

Edited by nrev

Certainly agree with that, I think once it has a bit of a cache built up for the images it's okay. On 3G it's a bit slow IMO.

@DrEzkimo

I found Market Access works okay.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest DrEzkimo

Certainly agree with that, I think once it has a bit of a cache built up for the images it's okay. On 3G it's a bit slow IMO.

@DrEzkimo

I found Market Access works okay.

can you get scrabble to appear?

tsk, same here, cheers

Maybe the (new) Market is checking the IP of the users location instead which could explain why Market Access etc. don't seem to be working.

Guest DrEzkimo

Maybe the (new) Market is checking the IP of the users location instead which could explain why Market Access etc. don't seem to be working.

yeah wouldnt surprise me with the vendors wanting tighter controls. not a biggie though as you can always download the apk elsewhere. saying that, i wonder if scrabble and other apps will still update in installed under old market